Do you still care about achievments/trophies?

Your Mom

23 hours ago, stokeriño said:

I absolutely care about them until they become too difficult, and then I immediately stop caring. 😝

This can be a bit self-defeating. For example, while the obvious thing is to mop up trophies in post-game or a second playthrough, I will want to be as perfect/efficient as possible right from the off. This leads me quite often to get frustrated and put a game back on the shelf "to come back to later" while I'm barely 20% into it.

But then, this "must be perfect immediately" issue pervades most of my life so it's not like video games should be any different to me.

I'm much the same on all fronts.

What I will do though is have a few months where I power through those games that I'd left behind and get a handful of platinum trophies in a row.

• Like 1

I can't really be bothered any more to go out of my way for them, but I used to really be a trophy magnet. I had a goal to Platinum every Assassins Creed game, then Valhalla came and while I enjoyed the game I realized the amount of hours I'd have to spend to get some and said nope. Since then I figure eh, I'll go for a few but more lately I just want to have fun and enjoy a game.

It depends - I like the little dopamine hit of seeing that I've got an achievement, and sometimes they can push me to do a little better, but I've hardly got any games at 100% because it's not enough motivation for me to grind away at stuff. 

There are achievements/trophies in Kingdom Hearts 3 that would drive me mental trying to get, like getting Sora up to level 99, even though I was able to finish the main game at a much lower level than that, so I'd just be grinding needlessly. Similarly, I'm doing a Final Fantasy 7 playthrough and one of the achievements is getting a date with Barret - a notoriously difficult thing to do, that I've never managed once in the countless times I've played this game, and as I've set myself the task of playing through with no recourse to hints or walkthroughs, I know I'm not going to get that.

On the flipside, I always find it quite disappointing when an achievement is just reaching a certain point in the game. If I'm enjoying the game, then progressing through it is reward enough. I like when achievements are a bit more creative or silly - the Lego games are brilliant for using achievements for little in-jokes.

• Like 1

On 06/08/2022 at 08:51, Baddar said:

I don't go out of my way to get them as such, but if I'm playing a game and notice I'm at 90% progression towards one naturally, I tend to pick it up.

I know Niner loves a trophy though.

I won't be triggered.

On 06/08/2022 at 08:56, Brandon Cutler Fan Account said:

I will deliberately get some to annoy @9 to 5 but I've stopped really using them as anything other than a general guide on things to do. Some of them are just deliberately annoying.

If it's as per your example and I've played through and just missed a couple i might just look how easy they are to do. If i have to play 70% of the game again to make the choice for the second trophy then I'm probably not doing it.

I definitely don't play games I'm not enjoying for them.

I won't be triggered.

On 07/08/2022 at 16:17, Ollie said:

110 platinums and counting baybeeeee!

I won't be... bah!

Never said I hate trophies. For someone of my age I like them in a sense that you can prove you have done something in a game rather than listen to your friends bullshit about games and what they did in them in the playground.

Don't mind them popping up but I just can't and will never understand people who take hours out of their day to get a couple trophies in a game they didn't much care for just to get a platinum at all. I get it might be fun, but I use my free time to play games for fun not to get trophies I can't touch.

I have 5 iirc platinums, and 4 for those are Telltale games so it shows I don't go for them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/08/2022 at 21:17, 9 to 5 said:

I won't be triggered.

I won't be triggered.

I won't be... bah!

Never said I hate trophies. For someone of my age I like them in a sense that you can prove you have done something in a game rather than listen to your friends bullshit about games and what they did in them in the playground.

Don't mind them popping up but I just can't and will never understand people who take hours out of their day to get a couple trophies in a game they didn't much care for just to get a platinum at all. I get it might be fun, but I use my free time to play games for fun not to get trophies I can't touch.

I have 5 iirc platinums, and 4 for those are Telltale games so it shows I don't go for them.

This is because you live in a distant past.

I honestly don't think I ever really cared. There were games where I wanted to do everything just to see it but I never got any real excitement or endorphins or whatever from getting little notifications or trophies.

That said I can 100% see why people would like that sort of thing and have had more then a few friends who enjoy it for a variety of reasons.

I don't want to care for achievements, but I still find myself twisting my own arm to play games in a certain way to get achievements, and I honestly don't know why. Maybe a sense of completionism, or just basic dopamines. It has genuinely destroyed my interest and desire to play certain games because I was too focused on playing that specific way rather than just enjoying the adventure.

But I also struggle with games like TES/Fallout because whenever i'd stumble upon some mid/late-game dungeon through random exploring it would immediately kill any interest I had to continue, like an instant disconnect and further inability to get back into it.

I also get way too engrossed in trying to 100% a game I enjoy, even if it means killing my enjoyment. I want to get all collectables, even if they're completely inane and the reward at the end isn't worth the grind/detour required. I have often found myself going "Before I continue the game proper, I want to get the collectibes", then by the time I got the collectibles I completely lost my desire to play further, and as a result never finished the game. On the flipside I can also not push myself to collect such things AFTER i finished a game, because I want the full experience and nothing else...

Anyways, long rant, but tl;dr for me is "It's complicated".

I care enough to be miffed that I'm about five achievements away from 100% on the THPS remaster, but other than that not as much anymore. I think moving over to mainly PC gaming for a year or two helped stamp it out of me, because Steam achievements are doo doo.

I recently finished Saints Row 2022, had about 4/5 achievements left and was like "nah" and uninstalled it, which is proba ly a good sign. If it was one or two and they were available quickly then maybe but I think all these would take a while.

I've probably moved to that sort of mindset where I'll do it if it's easily in reach or if I really care about that game/series. Like, I'll probably try it for Elden Ring but I'd need to check how doable it was. I did it on Dark Souls but not 2 because that has something annoying like complete the game without resting at a bonfire or something ridiculous.

Edit: I think that last part might not be true but I'm sure I remember that doing that gets you a ring and that ring is tied to an item you need for a different achievement like getting all the weapons or hexes or something.