I Can Beat the Algorithm

TheRaySays

Something recent and I want something with a budget and people I will recognize. It doesn't have to be an action packed blockbuster but I don't want to on IMDB looking up who everyone is and wondering how they got away putting something that cheap looking on screen if that all makes sense.

I just can't remember the last movie I saw that I liked and it's bugging me and I'm hoping someone can help me break that streak

On 21/09/2022 at 13:04, Benji said:

Films that are Back To The Future 1, 2, and 3.

But seriously - modern horror that doesn't feature a supernatural quality and isn't "mainstream".

With my ticket to Back to the Future 2 back in the day, I got to attend a test screening of Tremors. Interesting that there are now more sequels to the latter than the former.

Anyway, this might stretch "modern" a bit, but 2010 doesn't feel remotely dated to me just yet.

Sennentuntschi: Curse of the Alps (2010) - Has an Alpine folk horror vibe but isn't supernatural. Running just under two hours, it’s surprising that it doesn’t really rely on stunning vistas or unsettling imagery, and it never feels drawn out. This is a very character-driven piece and almost plays out like a missing persons procedural. Not that the setting doesn’t play a key role. There are several moments where the viewer is starkly reminded that this village exists on the edge of a cliff, physically and metaphorically. Fair warning that the film goes to some predictably dark places, including multiple instances of sexual violence.

The Man in the Orange Jacket (2014) - The titular figure is a disgruntled harbor worker who, with clearly murderous intent, invades the posh manor home of the executive responsible for a spate of recent layoffs. Even that is questionable, though, as this minimalist suspense thriller contains very little dialogue and is deliberately ambiguous throughout. It reminded me a bit of Psycho in that it establishes its premise early and anticipates audience expectations, defying them at every subsequent turn.

Rock, Paper and Scissors (2019) - As befits the title, this is a three-hander about a woman returning home to sort out the estate of her dead father. Unfortunately, her younger stepsiblings have been cooped up caring for dad perhaps far too long. This then becomes a game of manipulation as she tries to survive their deranged games and ministrations. Oh, and this turns The Wizard of Oz into pure horror, as it should be.

• Thanks 1

On 26/09/2022 at 01:01, Benjamin said:

Something that has the feel of the Golden Age of Hollywood, but was made in the last decade.

Also because I was going through every streaming service I had and found a bunch of them, watched none, but still want to watchlist more: movies that are Knives Out-ish. 

These were both pretty challenging. Hope I find you something new and exciting.

"Something that has the feel of the Golden Age of Hollywood, but was made in the last decade."

Hail, Caesar! (2016) - This feels like the obvious, safe choice, but I still think it's an underrated Coen Brothers film. Josh Brolin plays real life studio fixer Eddie Mannix, tasked with locating a missing Hollywood star in 1951. Delightfully cynical with a killer cast.

Grand Piano (2013) - Elijah Wood channels his inner Jimmy Stewart in this Hitchcockian thriller. He's a concert pianist trying to make his grand return, but deathly afraid of making a mistake and embarrassing himself on stage. A sniper's challenge soon turns his fear into a grim reality as one false note threatens to be his last.

The World Is Yours (2018) - This caper set in the south of France feels like an old school Rat Pack movie in the modern style of Guy Ritchie (Snatch). More high gloss and glam than Ritchie's London. Make an ice cream sundae (or whatever your preferred frozen treat) and get cozy for this one.

"Movies that are Knives Out-ish."

Clue (1985) - Another safe choice. I'd be shocked if this classic ensemble murder mystery comedy didn't partially inspire Knives Out.

The Nice Guys (2016) - Slightly less cozy than Knives, but fits the mold of a witty detective story with charismatic characters straddling both sides of the morality fence.

Bad Times at the El Royale (2018) - Convoluted mystery with a talented cast just going completely over the top in a limited setting. Effectively captures that "Trust no one" vibe.

• Like 2

On 27/09/2022 at 16:26, Your Mom said:

Something recent and I want something with a budget and people I will recognize. It doesn't have to be an action packed blockbuster but I don't want to on IMDB looking up who everyone is and wondering how they got away putting something that cheap looking on screen if that all makes sense.

I just can't remember the last movie I saw that I liked and it's bugging me and I'm hoping someone can help me break that streak

This is kinda tough because I don't know who you would recognize. Most movies with "big stars" are going to bank on those stars and will often be hot garbage. That said, here's three from this year (two forthcoming) that I think fit the bill:

The Banshees of Inisherin (Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson, Kerry Condon) - Gorgeous film set in rural Ireland during the Irish Civil War (1922? 23?). Two friends have a falling out when one decides he'd rather pursue his love of music than waste his life in the pub with his pal. Very funny, but gets very intense at times. Solid Best Picture candidate. Releases in USA on 10/21/22.

The Menu (Anya Taylor-Joy, Ralph Fiennes, John Leguizamo) - Couples travel to a remote island for an exclusive multi-course meal painstakingly crafted by a celebrated and demanding chef. Everything and everyone is not as it seems, of course. Full of wit and clever twists, this one's a real crowd-pleaser. Releases in USA on 11/18/22.

The Northman (Alexander Skarsgård, Anya Taylor-Joy, Nicole Kidman) - Hamlet reskinned as a Conan the Barbarian-style adventure tale. Beautifully filmed with solid performances, the final battle is breathtaking. Inexplicably streaming on Peacock of all places. Admittedly, it would've been better with Roman Reigns and Sami Zayn, but you can't have everything.

• Thanks 1

On 28/09/2022 at 01:37, K said:

Some lesser known, but still good, sports team is bad but through the power of teamwork become good, movies

Wildcats (1986) - Goldie Hawn is given the unenviable task of turning a bunch of losers into a competitive high school football team. Despite her predictable success, this isn't exactly a feminist film since in 1986 the entire concept was unthinkable to everyone in the cast and in the presumed audience. Still, it was a staple of my childhood and chock full of people who went on to become icons.

Best of the Best (1989) - Somehow, this film uses the "How will they coexist?!" gimmick on a U.S. Tae Kwon Do team. Dumb fun. I'm sure the training montage(s) in this inspired a whole slew of parodies, but this is the source code.

Goon (2011) - Semi-biographical, but honestly more archetypal. A lovable loser unites the rest of the self-serving idiots behind his innocent team spirit. I haven't seen a lot of hockey movies, but this is definitely my favorite.

4 hours ago, TheRaySays said:

Wildcats (1986) - Goldie Hawn is given the unenviable task of turning a bunch of losers into a competitive high school football team. Despite her predictable success, this isn't exactly a feminist film since in 1986 the entire concept was unthinkable to everyone in the cast and in the presumed audience. Still, it was a staple of my childhood and chock full of people who went on to become icons.

Best of the Best (1989) - Somehow, this film uses the "How will they coexist?!" gimmick on a U.S. Tae Kwon Do team. Dumb fun. I'm sure the training montage(s) in this inspired a whole slew of parodies, but this is the source code.

Goon (2011) - Semi-biographical, but honestly more archetypal. A lovable loser unites the rest of the self-serving idiots behind his innocent team spirit. I haven't seen a lot of hockey movies, but this is definitely my favorite.

I remember watching Best of the Best when I was young and enjoying it a lot. Not sure how it aged, but a good shout for sure.

On 02/10/2022 at 05:30, TheRaySays said:

Thanks very much. I'd seen Goon, but didn't know there was a sequel, so I'll check out that, as well as your other two suggestions. Appreciate the help.

Another request:

I re-watched Premium Rush and then watched Bill and Ted 3, so I would like some more films in this very specific genre:

Fun, modern, enjoyable, action-adjacent, around 90 minutes, doesn't really matter if you take your eyes off the screen for a few minutes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, K said:

Another request:

I re-watched Premium Rush and then watched Bill and Ted 3, so I would like some more films in this very specific genre:

Fun, modern, enjoyable, action-adjacent, around 90 minutes, doesn't really matter if you take your eyes off the screen for a few minutes. 

Ooh, this is a tough one. Very specific, as you pointed out. Foreign films with subtitles seemed right out. Here's what I've got...

Grabbers (2012, 94 min.) - I tried to mostly stay away from horror, but this is a goofy monster movie set in a sleepy fishing village in Ireland. The dialogue is snappy and the pacing is steady, so it's a good pick for folding laundry or filing paperwork or the like. It's become a St. Patrick's Day tradition for me.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016, 101 min.) - A little longer than 90 minutes, but I think this is the pick that best fits your chosen genre. Sam Neill's a cranky rural misanthrope who has to spend time with his citified foster nephew. They end up on a heartwarming and madcap adventure, subject to an international manhunt. Also full of fun, back-and-forth dialogue.

Free Fire (2016, 90 min.) - An arms deal between a bunch of over-the-top criminals in 1970s Boston goes horribly awry. Feels like the cliché climax of every gangster film jammed together to the point where it becomes (intentionally) laughable.