Coolio has died

The Buscher

"Gangsta's Paradise" was one of my very favorite songs in the world when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure I got my parents to buy me the Dangerous Minds soundtrack and I never actually listened to anything else on it.

And of course...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

"Gangsta's Paradise" was the coldest song I'd ever heard as a kid and it still holds up today, we didn't get much exposure back then, it was this and "Regulate". Still a great track.

Years ago, he played a show in Preston at my uni (UCLAN) and was invited to my friend's house for dinner the next day, and he showed up and helped cook a 3-course meal and then did an acoustic cover of Gangsta's Paradise and told them stories about his career. When I was told the story I didn't believe a word of it, then saw the videos.

Spoiler

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Well time for Gangsta's Paradise to be played on repeat. Will be watching the movie this weekend also that I remember. It's been on the watch list for a while. 

Such a shame. RIP. Thought's are with family, friends of his and fans of his work.

Little pieces and people of our life's that we have come to know, like and love disappearing and ending every week. 

• Sad 1

My first job was at a music venue that booked Coolio to appear and people genuinely didn't believe that the real Coolio would ever come to Norwich. So many people thought that it was just a tribute act that sales didn't take off and the promoter cancelled the show as a result.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Naitch said:

My first job was at a music venue that booked Coolio to appear and people genuinely didn't believe that the real Coolio would ever come to Norwich. So many people thought that it was just a tribute act that sales didn't take off and the promoter cancelled the show as a result.

The people of Norwich had so little self confidence it led them to think Coolio was above them. 😔

think Gangsta's Paradise was the first single I ever bought. I definitely loved it at the time, and was barely aware of rap and hip-hop, as it just wasn't something that got played in our house, or that anyone I knew listened to, so it may as well have come from another planet. And not knowing the Stevie Wonder sample either, it just felt like this spooky, sinister atmospheric music that, even if I didn't understand half the lyrics, just felt important somehow. It never really stuck as a genre I was into - my brother was listening to Grunge and metal constantly, and that combined with my parents' tastes was my musical education - but Gangsta's Paradise and the second Fugees album really stand out to me as hip-hop I was into long before I ever actually gave the genre a chance.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Adam said:

How is this bit of it not the clip that's gone viral.

the best part is the person in the comments pointing out that one of the women in the video is her aunt!

• Like 1