The 2023 NHL Thread

Toe

12 hours ago, Krabby said:

Bruins with the super cool move of signing convicted racist psychopath torturer Mitchell Miller, nice job lads...

Bittman has said that he won't be playing in the NHL and may not ever be eligible 

And the Bruins are walking it back. Good. Fucking idiots. Still a shame that the piece of shit gets hundreds of thousands of dollars to do literally nothing. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ovechkin opened last night with 797 career goals. And he ended it with 800. What a way to get to the number, with a hat trick.

He's on pace to end this season with about 830, then you figure the following season barring injury he winds up with 875. So in about 2 years exactly from now we'll be on the watch for him to pass Gretzky.

• 1 month later...
On 21/01/2023 at 11:44, damhausen said:

The tank for Bedard is officially underway, Montreal has started to shut down basically everyone for the season. The other bad teams are all following suit. Going to be some horrifically bad hockey in February and on.

To be fair Montreal has had some shitty luck. The one guy they could count on for goals just went out for the season. My wife is thrilled. She wants Bedard on her team, because of course she did. I'd be all for my Pens to tank as well. Brian Burke once trashed the Pens for doing nothing but "winning the lottery" when it came to their turn around (which is mostly true) and now it would be amusing to see him in the same spot against his aging superstars.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Toe said:

I don't feel like the Canucks got much for Horvat. Maybe the market was just not there, or teams were just too afraid that they were buying a hot streak that was about to come to an end?

I imagine it's probably a little of everything. The market knows the panic is setting in for the Canucks and that good players can be had. Can Horvat maintain this pace on a different team, under a different system, with different support? Is Horvat going to sign an extension or does he already have an idea of where he wants to go in free agency?

If there was an extension in place, I'd say this is pretty heavy under-payment. At the risk of him being a rental though, the Canucks did pretty well here. A guy who has scored 20 goals and can play in their top 9, a top prospect who has faltered a bit since breaking out at the World Juniors, but could still easily work out to be a great player, and a first rounder.

I do believe the Islanders will have to clear some money out to make an extension work though. They have something like $19 or $20 million in space for next season, but still need almost half of a team signed under that to ice a full lineup. Give a bunch to Horvat, and now they're looking at filling out the rest of the roster with league minimum bums. Not a great selling point when trying to sign a star.

If Lou creates some cap space for next season, it's a good indicator that an extension is probably coming.

• Like 1

There's a real argument to be made that the Isles are not legitimately in a position to make a playoff push. They were free falling and being exposed for the flaws in their roster for almost a month before scratching out 2 before the break, and almost every team in front of them has 2 or 3 games in hand so they're further back than the points show.

If it works out and they make a run it's a great move, but there's genuine reasons to think they're still not good enough to do that.

Basically Lou might have no real choice but to extend him even though it'll be complicated to pull off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, damhausen said:

Is retirement official? I know Chicago isn't bringing him back but I was wondering if he'd try to sign somewhere for next season, if his health issues get sorted out.

Oh you know I didn't even read the article just saw that he played his final game for them and assumed!

31 minutes ago, damhausen said:

Is retirement official? I know Chicago isn't bringing him back but I was wondering if he'd try to sign somewhere for next season, if his health issues get sorted out.

It's not official but he has hinted at it, even before the announcement from Chicago. I wouldn't doubt it though with all his health issues.

Also my team has missed the playoffs for the first time in 16 years. I know our core is aging but I didn't think we'd fallen this far. Too many key games slipped through.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, The End said:

It's not official but he has hinted at it, even before the announcement from Chicago. I wouldn't doubt it though with all his health issues.

Also my team has missed the playoffs for the first time in 16 years. I know our core is aging but I didn't think we'd fallen this far. Too many key games slipped through.

The loss to Chicago on Tuesday, at home, has to be the most brutal regular season loss in Pens history, right?

And there's the fall guys 

5 minutes ago, damhausen said:

The loss to Chicago on Tuesday, at home, has to be the most brutal regular season loss in Pens history, right?

It definitely ranks up there. There was absolutely no reason they should have lost that one, but it wouldn't have really mattered because they also lost last night. Now you could argue that the motivation to win wasn't as strong last night, but I just don't understand what has happened to them. I mean goaltending is an issue for sure but what else? Yes, their core is aging but they're still playing better than just about every other person not named Connor.

Oh wow, I just saw that tweet. I feel like Sully is going next and I'm not sure I agree with that.

51 minutes ago, The End said:

It definitely ranks up there. There was absolutely no reason they should have lost that one, but it wouldn't have really mattered because they also lost last night. Now you could argue that the motivation to win wasn't as strong last night, but I just don't understand what has happened to them. I mean goaltending is an issue for sure but what else? Yes, their core is aging but they're still playing better than just about every other person not named Connor.

Oh wow, I just saw that tweet. I feel like Sully is going next and I'm not sure I agree with that.

Next GM gets to decide Sullivan's fate. I suspect it may be a "mutual" decision.