What Did You Watch Today? 2023 edition

Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde from the Hammer Horror Vault. It was on the TV near Christmas and completely missed watching it. Have not watched it in about four year's. So figured I would settle down again with it. It is one of my favorite tales of Jekyll and Hyde. Just because of the dual gender aspect about it. 

Ralph Bates and Martine Beswick are equally as good as different side's of the same coin. Thought the story was original enough for how they went with it. Even if they did add in Burke and Hare along with The Whitechapel Murders from history.

The music and pacing are very okay. Costumes and set's I think are some of Hammer's better work. Some quite good visuals and some sinister one's at time's in it. Even if aged now by modern technology and filming techniques. I still prefer my horror this way. Quite a charm about some of the way's they are filmed. Guess a familiar comfort to the simple tales I watched as a child. Yet I know some of it has not aged well. But like most stuff from the time you have to look past it.

Much prefer Ralph Bates in this role to when he took over from Peter Cushing for a spell as Doctor Frankenstein. Hammer, RKO, Universal and Amicus just are fun horror tales. Can always appreciate the work from that time with the make up techniques used. 

• Like 1

Mrs. Krabby and I watched The Menu tonight and I was enthralled. We both really enjoyed it, it was so fun in such a dark humor way. I had no concept of what it was going into it and was pleasantly surprised.

• Like 1

I had a 12-hour flight and got through a few films, this being my favourite. Really interesting gangster thriller with the always brilliant Mark Rylance. I'm always one for a gangster genre film, but this played out refreshingly and reminded me of a solid old-school thriller.

Also watched The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, which was much better than I anticipated, Nicholas Cage at his absolutely outlandish best.

• Like 2

I'm a huge fan of Martin McDonagh's films, especially these two in 'In Bruges', so I was stoked when this was announced. I finally got to see it last night and it didn't disappoint, fantastically dark-humoured throughout with some pretty stunning cinematic vistas and just wonderful acting (Barry Keoghan is a wonderful surprise in support). Probably one of my favourite films of the last 12 months.

We rented Soft & Quiet last night and it was entirely and extremely uncomfortable and totally engaging.

Trigger Warning:

Spoiler

RACISM, RAPE

One quick thought:

Spoiler

I disdained the very end though - the entire movie was engrossing and unnerving and I just felt that the ending was too timid and didn't lean enough one way or the other. Up to discuss this more if someone has watched it!

I know I am incredibly late to the party, but holy fuck, Dark is a brilliant show.

If you haven't watched it yet, go watch it. I am currently watching with the English dub, but will rewatch with the subtitles afterwards to get the true performance. All the actors are great. The casting is amazing with the multiple character timelines spanning different ages.

Great fucking show.

Went to the cinema for the first time since 2020 to watch Enys Men, a Cornish folk horror directed by Mark Jenkin. The film is shot using a 70s Bolex movie camera and it's really beautiful to look at. I call it a horror film because that's how it's being marketed but it really isn't. I'm not sure what it is but it's amazing to look at and experience.

Been a busy week with some real good films.

Watched Saint Omer in theaters last week, it's an excellent film that makes one ponder so much about motherhood and the immigrant experience.

Watched Aftersun which is a spectacular. One of the most emotionally gripping films I've seen.

Watched The Menu as well, which was a blast. Social commentary is extremely above board, nothing to really think about after watching it. But layering this kind of dark comedy on top of a standard horror film is a brilliant idea executed so well.

But the winner is Decision the Leave. Park Chan-wook is just the best, isn't he? Everything about it is excellent, the acting, the camerawork, the tension, all of it. Maybe maybe his magnum opus.

• Like 2

On 21/01/2023 at 17:02, damhausen said:

Been a busy week with some real good films.

Watched Saint Omer in theaters last week, it's an excellent film that makes one ponder so much about motherhood and the immigrant experience.

Watched Aftersun which is a spectacular. One of the most emotionally gripping films I've seen.

Watched The Menu as well, which was a blast. Social commentary is extremely above board, nothing to really think about after watching it. But layering this kind of dark comedy on top of a standard horror film is a brilliant idea executed so well.

But the winner is Decision the Leave. Park Chan-wook is just the best, isn't he? Everything about it is excellent, the acting, the camerawork, the tension, all of it. Maybe maybe his magnum opus.

I agree with all of these reviews. Aftersun is probably my second favourite of last year. I did love Decision to Leave though and yeah, agreed that Park Chan-wook just excels at everything.

My last three films were Close, The Son and Saint Omer. Probably proof that I do truly love pretty dark content (The Son was just not good though). 

We watched X over the weekend and really enjoyed it, looking forward to checking out Pearl sometime and then MaXXXine whenever that comes out. Mrs. Krabby also had Terrifier 2 recommended to her so we watched the first Terrifier and it started out ok but was a really weak movie overall in both of our opinions. Still plan to watch the sequel based on the recommendation.

Also started watching White Lotus too

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished East Bound & Down Season 3. The fact that Kenny Powers thought that the only way to have a life with April and his son was to walk out during his big Major League return and then fake his own death in a spectacular car crash is fucking hilarious. Even more that they have April point out “you don’t think it would have been better if Toby and I had just joined you in the Majors in Texas?”

• Like 1

had a lazy Saturday.

Got caught up on Poker Face (Peacock).  Brilliant show.  Natasha Lyonne is just great.  Never really watched much Columbo, but it has that same vibe.  Rian Johnson is quickly becoming one of my favorite creators.

Also watched Shrinking (Apple TV+).  Its ok.  Third episode was definitely better then the first two.  Jason Segal plays a therapist grieving after losing his wife a year earlier.

Finally also watched The Banshees of Inisherin (HBO Max).  I seem to remember the trailer making me think it was more comedic then it turned out to be, but wasn't disappointed.  Fantastic movie

The A.B.C Murders from Agatha Christie's Poirot ITV TV Series. Must have seen this episode quite a few times. But I always do seem to forget little thing's about it. It's probably my favourite adaption over the BBC Version.

The guest stars are pretty good casting. Although completely forgotten that one of the actor's also appears in The Mystery of The Blue Train. Nicholas Farrell playing the part of Donald Fraser. He's actually one of my most enjoyed performances from the show in The Blue Train. So to see him pop up here was fun.

The little settings seem to keep the simple touch of the time period alive. The little costal town's are often fun to look into from the time period.

Donald Sumpter is also appearing in the episode. A good while before he appears on Game of Thrones. 

There's a scene in the cinema that has always been my favourite to do with the plot. It's from Black Limelight. An old black and white british crime film from 1938 that is playing in the cinema. The film is about a serial killer that kills on a full moon. So they inserted some of noir inspired scenes into the episode of Poirot. I thought it really added to it. It made me check out the movie after the scene's always struck out to me. 

Spoiler

I still think it's a fresh interesting take on murder mystery with a serial killer. With a clever story that's planned out with an interesting cast of character's. It does explore the after effects of World War 1. The more horrible effect of shell shock and the gas used. The early words used for PTSD in our modern age I guess. 

The book and episode are always like an old comfort movie or show you can just get back into. I think that's down to how delightful David Suchet played the title role. Hastings and Poirot are never a bore to watch with their Laurel and Hardy inspired humour both seem to play at really well.