WCW 1995

Boulder

Very good. I love your promos. Although I'm finding it pretty hard to go through your matches... specially the main events, since they're just one big, long paragraph... I tend to get lost and instead head right away for the finish. :) Maybe pacing the action with seperate paragraphs would be better? Other than that, Good diary. :thumbsup:

Very good. I love your promos. Although I'm finding it pretty hard to go through your matches... specially the main events, since they're just one big, long paragraph... I tend to get lost and instead head right away for the finish. :) Maybe pacing the action with seperate paragraphs would be better? Other than that, Good diary. :thumbsup:

Fair enough, I'll split up the longer matches into multiple paragraphs. Thanks for the feedback :thumbsup:

January 13, 1995

I took the stage before WCW higher-ups, Turner executives, and wrestling news journalists. I cleared my throat, and commenced my explanation of the idea I had had days earlier.

“Ladies and gentlemen, this is the beginning of a proud new era for World Championship Wrestling. WCW has built an empire based on bringing the greatest sport in the world to as many fans as possible, and today, we reinvent the concept of said sport. Beginning this year, WCW has decided to institute a ratings system for its roster. The ratings will carry from the beginning of the year to our November Pay-Per-View event, at which point, the top ten rated wrestlers (not including the WCW World Heavyweight Champion, of course) will participate in a battle royal, the winner of which will receive a shot at the WCW World Title at Starrcade. A singles win will garner a certain amount of points for the winner- one to five, depending on the quality of opposition. In a tag match, the losing team’s points will be averaged, and the winning team will split them evenly. Wins that have already taken place in 1995 will be recorded and added to the totals. As for which wrestlers will be worth which point values, the system will work as follows:

Five-Point Wrestlers:

Hulk Hogan

Randy Savage

Vader

Ric Flair

Sting

Four-Point Wrestlers:

Arn Anderson

Dustin Rhodes

Kevin Sullivan

The Butcher

Avalanche

Three-Point Wrestlers:

Jim Duggan

Big Bubba Rogers

Johnny B. Badd

Meng

Booker T

Stevie Ray

Brian Knobbs

Jerry Saggs

Earl Robert Eaton

Lord Steven Regal

Marcus Alexander Bagwell

The Patriot

Paul Orndorff

Paul Roma

Two-Point Wrestlers:

Brian Pillman

Diamond Dallas Page

A victory over any wrestler not named here will be worth one point. Of course, changes in level can occur throughout the year.

Thank you for all of your time. The ranking system is sure to add an exciting new dimension to World Championship Wrestling!”

The room filled with applause as I stepped down from the podium.

I love the diary so far, but then again all of your diaries are well-written. The shows are great, and the commentary adds vastly to the matches.

The points system is intriging. But what happens during a draw, and do count-out wins and disqualification wins bear the same number of points as a pinfall or submission victory?

WCW Saturday Night

January 14, 1995

Tony Schiavone: Hello, fans, and welcome back to WCW Saturday Night! I’m Tony Schiavone, this is Bobby “The Brain” Heenan, and what a week this has been! Just yesterday, WCW unveiled a new point-based ranking system!

Bobby Heenan: Points, wins, gold medals, it’s all the same, Schiavone! The Faces of Fear don’t care about anything besides destroying Hulkamania!

Tony Schiavone: You’re right about that, Brain. Tonight, two of The Three Faces of Fear- Avalanche and The Butcher- will be here. Also, Harlem Heat will defend the WCW World Tag Team Titles against The Nasty Boys! These two teams have had it out for each other for months, and this match will settle the score.

Bobby Heenan: Settle the score and spell the end for those idiotic Nasty Boys!

Tony Schiavone: Don’t count them out, Brain! Plus, we’ve got plenty of other action, so let’s get to it!

Arn Anderson versus Brian Pillman

Arn Anderson quickly took Pillman to the mat with a drop toe hold, then grabbed a tight side headlock. He held it on the mat until Pillman managed to get to his feet. However, Anderson kept the hold and pulled Pillman with a headlock takeover, which brought him into pinning position. Pillman kicked out, effectively breaking the headlock. He got to his feet as Arn charged with a clothesline. Pillman managed to duck it, though, and then took “The Enforcer” down with a powerful clothesline.

Brian Pillman wasted no time in continuing his offense. As Anderson got back to his feet, Pillman ran to the ropes and came back with a flying forearm. However, Arn ducked, and Pillman hit the ropes. He was thrown back to the center of the ring, and Anderson immediately gave him a kneedrop. He applied a cover, but only got two.

Anderson was not out of ideas, though. He wrapped his legs around Pillman, squeezing him with a vicious body scissors. Pillman refused to quit, but Anderson nearly pinned him after rolling him over onto his shoulders. Finally, Brian Pillman managed to pull himself over to the rope, but the minutes he spent in the hold had taken their toll. With little effort, Anderson whipped him to the ropes, caught him with a Spinebuster, and pinned him.

Overall: 80%

Crowd: 78%

Match: 82%

Time: 5:10

Bobby Heenan: Experience always wins out, Schiavone! That punk Pillman needs to be glued back together now.

Tony Schiavone: Pillman is among the most talented wrestlers in the world. You can’t keep him down for long!

Bobby Heenan: Arn kept him down for three seconds, and that was long enough!

Trapped

Randy Savage is shown leaving his locker room. As he locks the door, Avalanche steps into the corridor, blocking one end of Savage’s possible pathway. Savage notices Avalanche, then looks at him silently. The Butcher walks out into the other side of the corridor, blocking Savage in. He turns around and sees The Butcher.

Randy Savage: Oh, so this is how it’s gonna be, is it?

Avalanche grins. The Butcher’s face is not visible, but it can be inferred that he is also smirking.

Randy Savage: Well, I guess it looks like I’ve got a few choices, and none of ‘em seem so great. But the way I see it, what I could do is-

Savage immediately pounces on The Butcher and starts ripping into him with rights and lefts. Avalanche grabs Savage from behind, but the Macho Man spins around and goes wild on him. However, The Butcher nails Randy Savage from behind, and the numbers are too much for Savage to handle. The Faces of Fear beat him bloody, and Avalanche slams him into the wall before they leave.

Overall: 77%

Tony Schiavone: What a vicious attack by The Butcher and Avalanche!

Bobby Heenan: You just wish you thought of it, Tony!

Tony Schiavone: Well, I’ve got a target, that’s for sure.

Marcus Alexander Bagwell versus Diamond Dallas Page

As Page entered the ring, he grinned at Bagwell while gingerly holding a fat cigar between his teeth. Page removed it and handed it to a maintenance worker, then ran at Bagwell. They locked up, with Bagwell getting a wristlock. Page grimaced in pain, a far cry from his earlier smirk. Marcus Bagwell wrenched Page’s arm further, sending the larger man down to his knees. However, in a surprising display of agility, Page rolled forward, somersaulting out of the wristlock and turning it into one of his own. Page nailed a few stiff shots to the back of Bagwell’s head with his free hand. However, Bagwell ducked the last one and Page spun around, allowing the former World Tag Team Champion to hit a dropkick which broke Page’s wristlock and sent him sailing.

Diamond Dallas Page pulled himself up using the ropes, but Bagwell was on fire. He overtook Page with lefts and rights, hammering him until he backed him into the corner. Bagwell raised his arm to the crowd, then whipped Page across the ring, right into the opposite corner. Bagwell charged with his forearm extended, but Page lifted his boot, smashing it into Bagwell’s head. Page covered quickly, but only scored a two count.

Diamond Dallas Page got to his feet, grabbed Bagwell by the hair, and pulled him up. He kicked Bagwell in the gut, then took him over with a crude, yet effective hiptoss. Page covered again, but Bagwell kicked out. Frustrated, Page wrapped his hands around the head of Marcus Alexander Bagwell, then slammed it against the mat repeatedly. He then covered with a lateral press (making sure to squeeze his forearm against Bagwell’s face), but his opponent kicked out once again.

Page was visibly plussed. He got to his feet and stepped on Bagwell’s throat, pulling down on the ropes for added leverage. The referee forced Page to break this illegal hold, but much damage had already been done. Page climbed up to the second turnbuckle and jumped off with a legdrop, finding his mark. He covered, but Bagwell managed to push his foot under the bottom rope. An angry Dallas Page got to his feet, then bent over to lift his opponent, but Bagwell surprised him with a roll-up. Page kicked out at a long two, but he was visibly shocked by Bagwell’s burst of energy.

Diamond Dallas Page swooped in on Marcus Alexander Bagwell once again, but Bagwell grabbed the ropes to pull himself to his feet, thereby preventing Page from touching him. When Bagwell managed to steady himself, Page charged at him. However, Bagwell dove out of the way, and Page collided with the turnbuckle. Bagwell took him over with a schoolboy and scored another long two. Both men popped up, and Bagwell took Page over with an armdrag. As Page stumbled to his feet, it was clear that the momentum of the match had shifted.

Bagwell ran at Page and sent him to the mat with a clothesline. He climbed up to the top turnbuckle, and, still in visible pain, waited for Page to get to his feet. When he did, Bagwell leaped off with a flying shoulderblock. It found its mark, and both men went down to the mat. However, Marcus Alexander Bagwell managed to get to his feet first. He lifted his arms to the crowd, grabbed Page by the head, and pulled him up to his feet. He hooked Page’s head and leg, and delivered the Yellowjacket Suplex, scoring the pinfall and the win.

Overall: 65%

Crowd: 60%

Match: 71%

Time: 14:45

Tony Schiavone: Marcus Alexander Bagwell picks up a hard fought win here on WCW Saturday Night!

Bobby Heenan: DDP is used to the high life! I’ll bet he had such a wild time last night, he’s still tired! At his best, Bagwell would be no match for him!

Taking a Stand

“Mean” Gene Okerlund is in the medical trainer’s office with Randy Savage. Paramedics are attending to a laceration on Savage’s forehead.

Gene Okerlund: Randy Savage, I know this is a bad time, but the fans need to know-

Randy Savage: The fans’ll see for themselves! Avalanche, Butcher, you made a big mistake, you got that? I know you boys want a fancy feather in your caps, but trying to get it from the Macho Man is like buying a ticket to your own execution! I want to see you two out there tonight, end of the show!

Gene Okerlund: Mr. Savage, are you sure that’s wise?

Randy Savage: Don’t take my damn word for it, then! Just watch and see!

Gene Okerlund shakes his head with astonishment and concern.

Overall: 96%

Bobby Heenan: It’s a shame, really.

Tony Schiavone: What?

Bobby Heenan: That Randy Savage’s WCW career is going to be so short!

Dustin Rhodes versus Lord Steven Regal

Dustin tried for a lockup, but Lord Steven Regal went behind with a waistlock. Regal lifted Dustin and slammed him down on the mat. However, Dustin surprised his more fundamentally-sound foe by sliding out into a sitting position, and then struggling to his feet. Regal tried to lift Dustin from behind again, but Dustin hooked his leg around Regal’s to block. Rhodes then took off towards the ropes and ducked just in time to send Steven Regal flying out of the ring.

Dustin got back up to his feet as Regal glared at him angrily from the outside. Rhodes taunted him, daring Regal to get in, and the Blue Blood quickly obliged. Regal got up to the apron, and Dustin ran at him, but Regal nailed him in the jaw with a hard left hand. Regal re-entered the ring, then drove his knee into Dustin’s gut. Rhodes doubled over, and Regal hooked him for the Butterfly Suplex. However, “The Natural” had the strength to block the suplex and backdrop Regal.

Both men got to their feet, at which point they traded punches. Dustin blocked a left from Regal, then took the upper hand. Dustin connected with some stiff shots, then whipped Regal to the rope. As Lord Steven came back, Dustin caught him with a big boot. He followed up with a kneedrop, then covered Regal for two. Dustin leaned over to lift Steven Regal up, but Regal caught him in the temple with a hard knee strike, rattling the big Texan. Regal got to his feet slowly, and kicked the legs out from under Dustin, sending him to the mat.

Regal wasn’t ready to make the cover, though. He lifted Dustin to his feet, whipped him to the corner, and charged in on him with a clothesline. Realizing the success of the maneuver, Regal attempted to whip Dustin to the opposite corner. However, Dustin reversed the whip and sent Regal sprinting into the turnbuckle. When he ricocheted out, Dustin was quick to catch him from behind with a bulldog for the win.

As the referee raised Dustin Rhodes’s hand, the crowd began to stir. Vader had entered the ring, and was ready to charge at Dustin! As the U.S. Champion began to run, Dustin turned around and saw him. Before Vader could drive his massive shoulder into Dustin Rhodes, Dustin ducked to the mat and pulled the top rope down, sending Vader flying out of the ring. Dustin raised his arm to the crowd as a furious Vader tried to regain his bearings.

Overall: 74%

Crowd: 71%

Match: 77%

Time: 8:32

Bobby Heenan: Not again!

Tony Schiavone: You saw it right here, folks! Dustin gets another one up on Vader!

The Greatest Wrestler in the World, Part IV

The screen is completely black. In white lettering, words begin to appear. They say “THE SUSPENSE BUILDS TO A CRESCENDO.” They disappear, and are replaced by the words “THE FRENZY ESCALATES INTO CHAOS.” They too disappear, and the words “THE WAITING DRAWS TO A CLOSE” appear. Finally, they are replaced by the words “THE GREATEST WRESTER IN THE WORLD IS RETURNING TO WCW AT CLASH OF THE CHAMPIONS.”

Overall: 81%

Tony Schiavone: Well, it looks like we only have to wait 15 more days before finding out the identity of the so-called “Greatest Wrestling in the World.”

Bobby Heenan: Whoever he is, he has some explaining to do!

WCW World Tag Team Championship Match: Harlem Heat (Booker T and Stevie Ray) © versus The Nasty Boys (Brian Knobbs and Jerry Saggs)

A big “Nasty” chant filled the arena as Booker T and Brian Knobbs got nose to nose. After a bit of trash-talking, Booker shoved Knobbs. Knobbs fired back with a right hand, sending the World Tag Team Champion reeling. Knobbs continued to hammer away at Booker, but made the mistake of pummeling the champ into his own corner. This allowed Stevie Ray to thumb Knobbs in the eye. Booker got his bearings back, then leveled Knobbs with a big sidekick. He dropped an elbow on the challenger, then grabbed a side headlock as Jerry Saggs looked on.

Knobbs still had plenty of gas in his tank, though. He managed to get to his hands and knees, and from there, rose to a standing position. He gave Booker a back suplex, and when the both rose to their feet, Knobbs went for a clothesline. However, Booker ducked, scurried over to his corner, and tagged Stevie Ray. The more powerful member of Harlem Heat entered the ring, and the crowd cheered as he and Brian Knobbs locked eyes. With only a second’s hesitation, the two locked up.

Stevie Ray got a wristlock out of the grapple, which he wrenched hard enough to take Brian Knobbs down to a knee. Knobbs got back to his feet, but still writhed in pain as Stevie Ray tightened the hold. To add insult to injury, Stevie grabbed Knobbs by the mullet and pulled him down to the mat. Stevie Ray swooped down on him, but Knobbs caught him in the side of the head with a kick. With Stevie Ray reeling, Knobbs was able to crawl over to Jerry Saggs and tag him in. The fans went nuts as the fresh Nasty Boy entered the ring.

Saggs ran at Stevie Ray and faked a grapple, but quickly hit him in the chest with a shoulder tackle. Stevie was stunned, which gave Saggs the opportunity to hook his head and drive him to the mat with a DDT. Saggs covered, but Stevie Ray was able to kick out. Not wasting any time, Jerry Saggs got to his feet, ran to the ropes, and came back with a kneedrop. Saggs lifted Stevie Ray up, whipped him into the corner, and charged in with a clothesline. However, Stevie dodged the attack and caught Saggs with a big boot as he bounced out of the corner. Stevie Ray made the tag to Booker T, who entered the ring ready to tear into Saggs.

As Saggs got to his feet, Booker took the offensive with chops and strikes. He whipped Saggs into the ropes, and as he bounced back, Booker caught him with a precise jumping sidekick. Booker made the cover, but Knobbs pulled him off after two. As referee Nick Patrick admonished Knobbs, Stevie Ray entered the ring. Both members of Harlem Heat lifted Jerry Saggs to his feet and gave him a vicious double suplex. They dropped stereo elbows on Saggs, and then Stevie Ray left the ring. Nick Patrick turned around in time to make the count, but Saggs managed to kick out after a long two.

Booker still managed to keep Saggs under control. He applied a rear chinlock, which immediately restricted the challenger’s air supply. Booker squeezed it for several seconds, at which point Patrick checked Saggs’s arm. It went down once, and the fans began to clap their hands. Patrick lifted it a second time, and again it went down. This time, the “Nasty” chant re-arose. Patrick lifted the hand a third time, and Saggs kept it up. He got to his feet, and began to elbow Booker in the gut, but Booker pulled him down by the head and slammed him to the mat. Booker tagged in Stevie Ray, who was ready to work on the prone Jerry Saggs.

Stevie raised his arms to the crowd, and was showered with boos. After wasting a little time, he dropped an elbow. However, Saggs managed to roll out of the way. Stevie Ray got up and dropped a knee, but Saggs dodged again. Saggs got up to his feet with surprising agility and launched himself at Stevie with a flying clothesline. Saggs started to crawl towards Brian Knobbs, who had his arm stretched out as far as it would go. However, Booker T gave Stevie Ray a blind tag, ran in the ring, and dropkicked Knobbs off the apron. While Knobbs hit the arena floor, Booker T waited for Jerry Saggs to get to his feet. When Saggs got up, Booker caught him in the chin with a crescent kick. Before Saggs hit the mat, Booker was on his way up to the top turnbuckle. As Sensational Sherri squealed with delight, Booker came off the top with a Harlem Hangover. Booker covered Saggs, and Nick Patrick made the three count.

Overall: 71%

Crowd: 69%

Match: 73%

Time: 22:31

Tony Schiavone: What a match! What a win by Harlem Heat!

Bobby Heenan: Told you so, Schiavone! Get those Nasty punks out of the ring!

A Much-Needed Ally

The ambiance of the arena changed quickly when Randy Savage’s entrance music, “Pomp and Circumstance,” began to play. Though Savage was still showing ill effects from the attack he suffered earlier, he had no hesitation on his way to the ring. As he entered the squared circle, a stagehand gave Savage a microphone.

Randy Savage: Avalanche, Butcher, I don’t have all night! You boys better bring it out here, or I’ll come back there and get it!

Savage didn’t have to wait long, as Avalanche and The Butcher stepped out into the arena side by side. Still grinning, they both ran down to the ring. However, as they stepped inside, the crowd started to erupt. Sting had entered the arena right behind the Faces of Fear, and as they started hammering on the Macho Man, he slid into the ring. Sting caught The Butcher with a dropkick, sending him flying out of the ring. Sting caught Avalanche with a hard punch, knocking him off of Randy Savage. He followed up with a clothesline on Avalanche. Randy Savage immediately pulled Avalanche up to his feet, and, with Sting’s help, whipped him across the ring. Avalanche bounced back and came running at Sting and Savage, but they caught him with a double backdrop, launching him clear over the ropes. The crowd was rabid as Sting and Savage stood dominant in the ring. The Butcher and Avalanche tried to regroup as Sting picked up the microphone.

Sting: Hey, Faces of Fear! Hogan and Savage ain’t outnumbered anymore!

Overall: 82%

Tony Schiavone: Do you believe this, Brain? Sting has joined Hogan and Savage!

Bobby Heenan: It doesn’t matter, Tony! Let them call anybody! Let them call the Hell’s Angels, let them call a SWAT Team, the Faces of Fear won’t be stopped by Hogan and his cronies!

Tony Schiavone: Hogan, Savage, and Sting? That’s a team that could take on the world!

Overall: 78%

• 2 weeks later...

WCW Worldwide

January 15, 1995

Tony Schiavone: Hello, fans, and welcome to a very special edition of WCW Worldwide! I’m Tony Schiavone, and beside me is my partner, Bobby “The Brain” Heenan!

Bobby Heenan: Broadcast partner. Broadcast partner!

Tony Schiavone: On today’s broadcast, we’ve got a four man mini-tournament, the winner of which will wrestle Johnny B. Badd for the TV Title at Clash of the Champions. Brain, any thoughts?

Bobby Heenan: Just so long as Little Richard loses that belt, I’ll be happy.

Brian Pillman versus Matt Borne

Pillman received a huge ovation from the crowd as he met Borne, who was already in the ring. They locked up, with Borne taking a wristlock. However, Pillman was quick to roll out of it and fling Borne, by the arm, to the mat. Matt Borne popped up to take a dropkick, then came up in time to meet another one. Borne hit the canvas and rolled out of the ring, but Brian Pillman launched himself over the top rope with a plancha, and landed on Matt Borne. As the crowd roared, Pillman lifted Borne up and rolled him back into the ring. Brian Pillman climbed to the apron, then climbed up the turnbuckle. As Borne stumbled to his feet, Pillman came off the top with a flying crossbody. He caught Borne, and took him down for the three count.

Overall: 64%

Crowd: 55%

Match: 74%

Time: 1:12

Tony Schiavone: A quick, decisive win by Pillman over journeyman Matt Borne! He’ll advance in today’s tournament!

Bobby Heenan: Borne was serious, too, Schiavone. He wasn’t just clowning around.

Regal’s Tournament Predictions

“Mean” Gene Okerlund is standing backstage with Lord Steven Regal.

Gene Okerlund: Steven Regal, tonight-

Lord Steven Regal: LORD Steven Regal.

Gene Okerlund: Lord Steven Regal… today, you’ll be taking on “Hacksaw” Jim Duggan, and-

Lord Steven Regal: One at a time, you ponce. “Hacksaw” Jim Duggan is perfect, Gene Okerlund, yes, I said it. He is a perfect specimen of what the United States is all about. Fat, ugly, boorish, crude, and completely disgusting… and yet, his blind patriotism makes it okay. Never mind that the pillock can’t apply a wristlock without drooling on himself, he carries around “Old Glory,” so it’s alright. Duggan, today, the empire strikes back. That Television Title will be mine once again.

Gene Okerlund: Isn’t that a tad presumptuous? You’d have to wrestle Brian Pillman, if you even beat Duggan!

Lord Steven Regal: Okerlund, you don’t even know a chap named Tad Presumptuous. You actually think that nobody Pillman poses a threat to me? His best days are so far behind him that he’d need a double-jointed neck just to see them. That TV Title shot will be mine, and the belt is elementary.

Overall: 72%

Bobby Heenan: You have to admit, Schiavone- Regal tells it like it is!

Tony Schiavone: Like it is? How is discrediting two of WCW’s top athletes “telling it like it is?”

Bobby Heenan: Just wait and see, my poor, naïve Tony.

Lord Steven Regal versus “Hacksaw” Jim Duggan

Regal was all business as he locked up with Duggan. However, Duggan was able to overpower his opponent and shove him to the mat. The crowd was amused, and Duggan gave them even more to cheer about by raising his thumb and shouting out one of his trademark “HOOOOOOOOOs!” Regal was extremely annoyed, but got back to his feet. He faked a test of strength and kicked Duggan in the gut, then slapped on an armlock. Regal then kicked Duggan in the back of the knee, sending him into a kneeling position. Regal spun around and applied a front facelock.

Duggan was in trouble, but far from gone. He lifted Regal up, and with the hold still locked in, ran Regal into the turnbuckle. Regal’s front facelock was broken, and he stumbled out of the corner in time to take a backdrop from Duggan. Jim Duggan quickly pounced on Regal and covered him, but Regal kicked out after two. Duggan lifted him back to his feet and whipped him into the corner. Jim Duggan climbed to the second rope, lifted his fist to the crowd, and starting nailing Regal in the forehead with punches. Duggan gave the crowd a thumbs-up after nine, which gave Regal the opportunity to grab Duggan by the legs, hoist him up, and drop him on the turnbuckle face first.

As Duggan lay on the canvas, Regal regained his bearings. By the time Jim Duggan got to his feet, Regal was ready to attack. He charged in with a knee, catching Duggan in the gut. Regal grabbed him by the hair and pulled him to the center of the ring. Regal hooked Duggan’s arms and attempted a Butterfly Suplex, but Duggan countered with a backdrop. When Regal got to his feet, he took a clothesline from Duggan. “Hacksaw” got into a three point stance and waited for Regal to rise. However, when Duggan charged, Regal quickly sidestepped him. Duggan spun around and threw a punch, but Regal blocked it. He grabbed Duggan’s arm, and without a moment’s hesitation, took him down with the Union Jack. The three count followed.

Overall: 75%

Crowd: 72%

Match: 78%

Time: 6:20

Tony Schiavone: I’ll give Regal credit, he picked up the win, just like he said he would.

Bobby Heenan: Hey, if keeping promises gets you going, wait until you see him beat Pillman!

Getting Fired Up

Brian Pillman is shown backstage in the dressing room, doing squat thrusts. Rather than slowing down, he actually increases the velocity of his exercises as he goes along. Finally, after about ten, he pops up, stops, and wipes the sweat from his forehead. He jumps in place for a second to get himself together, then opens the door and heads out to the ring.

Overall: 79%

Bobby Heenan: Let him run around the planet and jump over the mountains! He still won’t beat Regal!

Lord Steven Regal versus Brian Pillman

Lord Steven Regal started out by grabbing Brian Pillman in a waistlock, then wrestling him down to the mat. Pillman turned out into a sitting position, but Regal rolled him over into a cradle for two. Pillman tried to extricate himself, but Regal wrapped his legs around him. Regal rolled Pillman onto his shoulders again, this time using his legs. Once again, Brian Pillman managed to kick out. This time, he escaped from Steven Regal’s grasp.

Both men got to a standing position, then locked up. Pillman hooked his leg behind Regal’s, then tripped his opponent. Pillman applied a side headlock, but Regal got up to his feet and shoved him off. However, Pillman came back with a shoulder tackle, sending Regal to the mat. Pillman headed to the perpendicular set of ropes, then bounced back. Regal pressed his body against the mat, but took a running elbow drop for his trouble. Pillman pulled Regal to his feet, hooked his head, and took him over with a suplex.

The crowd was electric as Pillman leapt to his feet. Regal stumbled to a vertical base just in time to take a DDT. Brian Pillman climbed to the top rope once again and waited for Regal to stand up. When he did, Pillman dove off the turnbuckle with a beautiful flying crossbody. He connected with it, but Regal rolled over and grabbed a handful of Pillman’s tights. With the extra leverage, he was able to pin Brian Pillman.

Overall: 78%

Crowd: 72%

Match: 85%

Time: 5:03

Bobby Heenan: Regal does it! The TV Title shot it his!

Tony Schiavone: He had to cheat! Pillman got shafted!

Bobby Heenan: Open your mind up, Schiavone! Regal is resourceful!

Tony Schiavone: Maybe, but he’s not honest!

Bobby Heenan: Honesty and three dollars gets you Okerlund’s home phone number. Regal just got himself a TV Title shot!

Overall: 74%

Edited by Boulder

Isn't Worldwide a B-show? If so then letting someone win the TV Title on a show like that is a bit weird. A lot of people won't know what happened when they see the A-show.

It was a tournament for a shot at the TV title, not for the actual belt.

• 11 months later...