The Last of Us **SPOILERS**

Benji

I loved the portrayal of mid late aged romance. Such a rare thing to see on TV and done very well. I'm definitely sad some of my favourite set pieces and moments weren't here, but hopefully they can appear in other episodes...

Spoiler

Stuff like the upside down panic scene, the enclosed Boomer fight, and especially Ellie with the nudie magazine which I'm hoping opens the next episode.

• Like 2

Mrs. Krabby and I watched all 3 episodes last night and loved it! 

Know very little about the game, but may have to check it out or, likely, find a lets play. 

Also, defs did not realize that Frank was Armand from White Lotus s1! 

On 05/02/2023 at 23:25, Lint said:

I get to have cake and eat it too! Bless you LoU! 

This week's episode was p p p p cool. I'm very excited to see what's next cause it's been so long since I've played the game that I completely have forgotten what's around this part in the story. 

Just now, LL! said:

I get to have cake and eat it too! Bless you LoU! 

This week's episode was p p p p cool. I'm very excited to see what's next cause it's been so long since I've played the game that I completely have forgotten what's around this part in the story. 

Just understand its only going on HBO Max on Friday, it'll still air on HBO itself on Sunday night.

I'll probably still wait until Sunday to watch it.  I never watch it "live" on HBO Max on Sunday nights anyway, usually I watch around midnight-1am

3 hours ago, LL! said:

I'm very excited to see what's next cause it's been so long since I've played the game that I completely have forgotten what's around this part in the story. 

Some really sad stuff that shapes Ellie's character going forward, especially Part 2.

6 hours ago, tristy said:

Some really sad stuff that shapes Ellie's character going forward, especially Part 2.

I have Part 2 burned into my brain since it was so recent. And I remember a good chunk of the latter part of the first game. It's about this part we're heading into now that I can't really remember though I'm sure my memory will be jogged upon watching. 

Episode 3 was one of the best episodes of any television show in probably the last 10-15 years. Just beautiful.

The one thing I've noticed in my little slice of life, is that this episode is bringing people together. 

At work I have seen hardcore anti-LGBTQ coworkers, who would recoil in disgust at two dudes so much as holding hands, praising the episode. They were having conversations about how beautiful and truly romantic and tragic it was with LGBTQ coworkers. 

One of my roommates, who is the type that is a faithful listener to Andrew Tate, and only watches Fox News, asked me if I have seen the episode yet, because it made him break down and cry. He told me that if they kept the story the same, they could have had the two have a  full frontal nude sex scene, and he still would have loved it because it was so romantic and touching. 

Spoiler

Watching it now. Disappointed they made Sam younger, I liked the dynamic the same age Ellie and he had and felt that Sam and Henry's fate being a potential ending for Ellie and Joel was a great mirror, but it's not a big deal.

Love that they've retained the elements of Ish, which is honestly the best "diary story" I've ever seen in games. Was hoping a little bit that one of the changes might have been seeing Ish on screen, but some things are better left to imagination.

Also just realised I recognised the voice of the second in command guy and it's Tommy from the games!

Edit:

Spoiler

Good episode, but I really feel like they're speedrunning a lot of the story. They didn't need the entire story involving the side people, Henry and Sam should have been given more time to breathe as characters, and Henry never betraying them makes me sad because it's the moment where Joel realises that just like Henry for Sam, he would do anything to keep Ellie safe, and it scares him.

4 hours ago, Benji said:
  Hide contents

Hide contents

Good episode, but I really feel like they're speedrunning a lot of the story. They didn't need the entire story involving the side people, Henry and Sam should have been given more time to breathe as characters, and Henry never betraying them makes me sad because it's the moment where Joel realises that just like Henry for Sam, he would do anything to keep Ellie safe, and it scares him.

Spoiler

I don't know I think it's fine. They definitely made you aware of that in this episode whether he betrayed them or not. Pedro Pascal fans is so good with his expressions and just the subtle ways that you understand how much he actually is already caring about Ellie and how horrific it made him feel to see Henry shoot Sam that way. You can tell he's really starting to care deeply about her and just the nuanced acting he's doing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So it's looking like...

Episode 7: Left Behind + American Dreams story

Episode 8: Winter story - Ellie meets David and his group

Episode 9: Spring story - Well, you know.. (this one is interesting because as far as I can tell, none of the trailers before the season started showed any footage that could have potentially been from this section)

Spoiler

There is a debate on the TLOU subreddit about whether or not the girl Ellie yelled at was Dina or Cat. I personally think it was Dina, since even in the game(s) Cat is never shown (as in an actual NPC) and barely mentioned, and there was already a few Part 2 teases. But I suppose it would be something they'd expand on a little bit in S2, since Cat gives Ellie her iconic tattoo and does cause some tension between Ellie & Dina according to Ellie's journals.

Also it's interesting that they gave a child to Tommy & Maria. That's a pretty big deviation from the games.

I know it's years away but man, I can't wait for Part 2 to be adapted. I said it in one of the video game threads, but it's a beautiful and sad story and I have absolute faith in Craig Mazin & Druckmann to do it justice.

Edited by tristy