Mystery, Whodunit, Crime, Thriller and Detective Discussion Thread

TheGrandAvatar

With Knives Out Glass Onion having just come out. Along with just thinking on the movie 12 Angry Men. Thought we could have a thread to discuss the shows we watch, or films and book's that we like on these types of work and subject matter. 

Working my way through Agatha Christie's The Mysterious Affair At Styles at the moment. Always been a fan of her work. Think mainly Poirot. He was my first Detective love. Managed to pick up most of the book's very cheaply at charity shop's over the last few year's. As luck would have it. YouTube have a few audio book's uploaded, along with the radio plays the BBC recorded. 

Still need to make time to view Knives Out. It was recommended for a movie just like it to watch Gosford Park. 

So yes. A thread to talk on Crime, Mystery, Murder Mystery and the Detective Genre of Film, TV or Fiction. 

• Like 1

Knives Out and Glass Onion were both really good movies, if not somewhat predictable in parts. I really enjoyed them, though, and can't wait for Benoit Blanc's next adventure.

There's a lot of mystery/thriller shows that I enjoy... off the top of my head... Twin Peaks, True Detective, Death In Paradise, Only Murders in the Building (I can not recommend this enough if you like crime podcasts), X-Files, The Sinner, early Dexter, Psych, Mindhunter, Justified, Longmire, Broadchurch, Luther, Lucifer.

I've never really gotten into the Christie stable of mysteries. I mean I've seen a few but they are just something I never really took up. I don't mind watching the odd one, though, as they remind me of my nan.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mick said:

So....you guys ever see Clue? 

It-it- the f - it -flam - flames. Flames, on the side of my face, breathing-breathl- heaving breaths. Heaving breaths... Heathing...

• Like 5

I have a soft spot for Monk. The writing, humour and the mysteries themselves are all spot on, and Tony Shalhoub knocks everything out of the park. Plus the theme tune is tremendous.

My only complaint with it is that I bought all the seasons on DVD, only for them to appear as part of Prime Video three weeks later.

• Like 3

As far as classics go, COLUMBO is a must see.

The twist isn't who the killer is, but how Lt. Columbo nails them. And watching him act like a bumbling, rambling idiot so everyone underestimates him is sublime. The show proved just how brilliant an actor Peter Falk truly was, as he did a lot of adlibbing.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, K said:

My wife and I recently watched See How They Run, which is a murder mystery about a murder mystery. Very meta, very fun. Saoirse Ronan and Sam Rockwell. Some fun cameos. Good stuff.

oh nice, that is on our list to watch!!!

6 hours ago, Chris2K said:

I have a soft spot for Monk. The writing, humour and the mysteries themselves are all spot on, and Tony Shalhoub knocks everything out of the park. Plus the theme tune is tremendous.

My only complaint with it is that I bought all the seasons on DVD, only for them to appear as part of Prime Video three weeks later.

I actually started watching this on Prime awhile ago. I like most types of these kind of shows. Criminal Minds, Law & Order, Numb3rs, etc. I'd even throw House into this which was medical mystery of sorts. My wife watches Investigative Discovery all the time and I enjoy mostly listening to those shows because I really don't need to see it to imagine it in my mind from what's going on.

I have never seen Pysch though I definitely want to see it. I also really like to go back and watch all of the L&O shows from the beginning but they're not streaming anywhere. Amazon has some but they start at like Season 10 I think.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

As far as classics go, COLUMBO is a must see.

The twist isn't who the killer is, but how Lt. Columbo nails them. And watching him act like a bumbling, rambling idiot so everyone underestimates him is sublime. The show proved just how brilliant an actor Peter Falk truly was, as he did a lot of adlibbing.

Peter Falk really made that role. The interesting thing about that show is not the killer. But how Columbo will get them. Such a lot of good guest stars and episodes. 

6 hours ago, Chris2K said:

Ah bother. This has happened to me also with the Columbo collection. Bought them on DVD, gave them to an ex and bought them back to see them on Prime. Although they aren't now. So I'm glad to have the box set collection. 

9 hours ago, RazorsEdge said:

I've never really gotten into the Christie stable of mysteries. I mean I've seen a few but they are just something I never really took up. I don't mind watching the odd one, though, as they remind me of my nan.

Yes. A lot of the work of Christie does remind me of my grandmother. Funny story. I always wanted a pet mouse at the age of about 7. Anyway. Remember buying one that would have ended up as snake food, and not a long life expected for it. Long story short. My Grandmother told me about "Hickory, Dickory, Dock." The TV Episode of Poirot. So that is where my love for Mr P started. 

I think mostly why I'm into a lot of the stuff I like is because of my Grandmother. We often read the detective works together, or watched them. 

• Like 1

I forget how. much I grew up on the classics, Columbo, Murder She Wrote, Quincy ME, Ironside, Diagnosis: Murder, Midsummer Murders.

I loved when Knives Out came out, felt like it'd been so long since a solid 'Whodunit?' had been released. Glass Onion was fantastic too. Loved the nods to Clue, Gosford Park and Agatha Christie.

Edited by fourstarfizzle
  • Like 1

On 23/01/2023 at 17:46, K said:

My wife and I recently watched See How They Run, which is a murder mystery about a murder mystery. Very meta, very fun. Saoirse Ronan and Sam Rockwell. Some fun cameos. Good stuff.

See How They Run is great. I would actually say you get even more out of it if you've ever seen Agatha Christie's 'The Mousetrap', as the film is built around a production of that. I was pleasantly surprised that the film didn't spoil the play either. But yeah, if you've seen the play there's a handful of nods and winks along the way to that too. 

On 25/01/2023 at 05:12, fourstarfizzle said:

I forget how. much I grew up on the classics, Columbo, Murder She Wrote, Quincy ME, Ironside, Diagnosis: Murder, Midsummer Murders.

I loved when Knives Out came out, felt like it'd been so long since a solid 'Whodunit?' had been released. Glass Onion was fantastic too. Loved the nods to Clue, Gosford Park and Agatha Christie.

With the exception of Midsommer Murders (which was far gorier) that's pretty much the perfect daytime TV sleuth show list right there!  

For the more adult / evening-time viewing I'd add David Suchet's entire run as Poirot. Brilliant. I also have a bit of a soft spot for Rowan Atkinson's Maigret.

• Like 2

I've managed to watch Poker Face through... means, and it is really entertaining. It did make me think of a question though:

With these shows, do you prefer the "show the murderer at the start, spend the episode watching the detective pin them down" method, or the "show the death at the start with the murderer hidden, spend the episode finding out who did it" method?

Personally I think I prefer the latter as the added mystery makes it more intriguing and can provide some big twists, the former usually takes away a lot of interest for me as it's like getting a spoiler for what you're watching from the show itself. That said...

Poker Face stuff:

Spoiler

Poker Face does go with the "show the murderer" method, but adds the added caveat of Charlie being involved in the story the whole time off-screen which adds a fresh layer of interest as you get to see everything again with her involvement. Standard Rian Johnson really.

• Like 1

Much preferable is the classic whodunit where there it is a mystery and keeps you guessing until the end with a grand reveal of it. 

Although. I do like the Columbo formula of how a Detective or team will get the murderer. I think that is why I enjoyed the BBC Series of Murder in Mind so much.  

I've also found this delightful from Ronnie Barker and Ronnie Corbett in the spirit of Agatha Christie sketch they did. Which I guess is on the mystery spectrum or paying homepage to it at least. So think it would be okay to post in here. Enjoy a giggle. :happy: