Summer Transfer Window 2023

Lineker

29 minutes ago, METALMAN said:

Nobody goes to the MLS these days. It’s all about the Saudibucks now.

This genuinely is pretty true. MLS clubs are increasingly moving away from that model. They're much more a selling league, and their DPs typically are South American players they can sell on for a profit (Thiago Almada, Facundo Torres, Alan Velasco), or players from Europe who are more in their prime (Denis Bouanga, Hany Mukhtar, Evander, even Bernardeschi). Heck, even players from Europe they will look to sell for a profit (Puig, Cucho Hernandez, Daniel Gazdag, Leo Campana).

The MLS 2.0 type signings of older Euro league based players (Insigne, Shaqiri, Douglas Costa, Hector Herrera) have almost all flopped or been poor signings that haven't worked out. 

MLS is really nothing like what it used to be, or what a lot of British/European fans of soccer think it still is.

19 minutes ago, Szumi - A Polack said:

This genuinely is pretty true. MLS clubs are increasingly moving away from that model. They're much more a selling league, and their DPs typically are South American players they can sell on for a profit (Thiago Almada, Facundo Torres, Alan Velasco), or players from Europe who are more in their prime (Denis Bouanga, Hany Mukhtar, Evander, even Bernardeschi). Heck, even players from Europe they will look to sell for a profit (Puig, Cucho Hernandez, Daniel Gazdag, Leo Campana).

The MLS 2.0 type signings of older Euro league based players (Insigne, Shaqiri, Douglas Costa, Hector Herrera) have almost all flopped or been poor signings that haven't worked out. 

MLS is really nothing like what it used to be, or what a lot of British/European fans of soccer think it still is.

Now I can get MLS on AppleTV I’ll probably sign up for that to cover my football needs during the summer months.

Could talk for awhile about MLS but it certainly is not the league for high-priced "name value" vets. They've just about all flopped lately, and I've been wrong about some who I felt had enough left in the tank but clearly did not. It's found its niche which is somewhere in the realm of the other top leagues in the Americas, but with certain structures in place that arguably holds back the bigger clubs in the bigger markets from fielding better sides. It allows the league to be highly competitive. It's what theoretically the Chinese Super League and Saudi League are striving for, but I don't think either have the professional sporting history and background that the US & Canada do.

3 hours ago, Twist said:

Now I can get MLS on AppleTV I’ll probably sign up for that to cover my football needs during the summer months.

MLS is honestly incredibly fun, in my opinion. Because of the salary cap, the best paid/better players tend to be attackers and not defenders, so it's definitely a more goal friendly league, I feel like. 

However, as a massive Union fan, I am just constantly getting my hopes up and then having my heart broken. The past two years have had so much promise, but have given much heart break.

On 04/06/2023 at 16:25, Szumi - A Polack said:

James Sands is a captain of a team there, it’s exactly what I think it is. 😂

On 05/06/2023 at 11:24, Szumi - A Polack said:

Keeping up the proud tradition of Irish* midfielders at Liverpool

*in the Ray Houghton sense