Tina Turner has passed away

Hellraiser

As per her official Facebook page and a statement made by her publicist, the legendary singer passed away at age 83 in her home in Switzerland after a long illness.

My first memory of Tina Turner was watching her perform the theme song for the James Bond movie Goldeneye live one some TV show and it blowing me away. It is my favorite Bond opening song to this day. R.I.P. to a brilliant singer and and absolute legend. :crying:

Edited by Hellraiser
  • Sad 1

It’s a sad day for Rangers fans.

I think I liked Missing You best. TT is obvs a great singer and that song has some classic Trevor Horn producton.

Pretty unusual for being a 60s star who became even bigger in the 80s. Who else did that? I guess there’s Steve Winwood, Diana Ross, Paul Simon. But so many others tried to fit in and failed.

I think I liked the cover of Honky Tonk Women best out of the early ones. I guess Proud Mary is the most famous of that period but it makes me think of drunk grannies at community centre discos. Although I guess that isn’t Tina Turner’s fault. Just like having her biggest bit of all co-opted by Rangers fans isn’t her fault either.

Maybe it's just me, but because of her lack of activity in the last 20 or so years it feels like an entire generation don't really know of her music that well.

To me, she's the singer of my favourite Bond theme, and one of my favourite songs in The Best. Her voice is unmistakable and never replaceable, and her courage to speak out about the abuse she suffered through is beyond admirable.

R.I.P.

Not gonna lie. I was out earlier doing Doordash and about to stop for gas when I heard about this on the radio. I almost cried. There have only been a handful of celebrity deaths I have cried over. The station played Private Dancer shortly after making the announcement. (Surprised, because when they play anything by her, its What's Love Got To Do With It 95% of the time, We Don't Need Another Hero the other 5%.)

Heidi wonders if she had cancer, since she lived in Switzerland, and one thing they're known for (besides neutrality, knives, watches, clocks, chocolate and cheese) is their cancer treatment centers.

Edited by GhostMachine

13 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

Heidi wonders if she had cancer, since she lived in Switzerland, and one thing they're known for (besides neutrality, knives, watches, clocks, chocolate and cheese) is their cancer treatment centers.

Tina Turner had been living Switzerland for about 30 year-ish years at this point. She got Swiss citizenship in 2013.

I never really actively sat down and listened to her music. I do like What's Love Got To Do With It?, We Don't Need Another Hero and have a real fondness Goldeneye.

The Best was used in TV ads for the RTE Guide (Ireland's Radio Times or TV Guide equivalent) during the 90s so I really associate it with that.

Absolute legend. Mad to think her last show was here in Sheffield (back in 2009). 

I've been on an 80s kick in the last few weeks and have rediscovered some of her hits. She's a singer from my childhood that just was always part of the backdrop somehow. The Best, What's Love Got To Do With It and Proud Mary remain the standouts for me. And I have a vague lasting image of her from Mad Max, though I haven't seen it in decades (struggling to remember if I ever really watched it), the visual of her in the mowhawk in something that is burned in my memory. 

From there, as much as I respect and admire her music and artistry... her legend is solidified through her leaving and speaking out against Ike. Letting him keep everything in exchange for her keeping her name, and rebuilding her career from scratch to be even bigger than she ever was with him is nothing short of extraordinary and commendable. Her subtly speaking against racism in America through the guise of "I could never be as big as Madonna there, but I am in Europe" is another big part of my respect for her; reminds me of Josephine Baker in a way.

May she rest in peace, she's earned it.