Taking Back Sunday/Fall Out Boy

Guest Silver Bullet

Guest Silver Bullet

I just wanted to see if anyone likes Fall Out Boy or Taking Back Sunday. They are my two favorite bands, and it seems hard to find fans on all of these messageboards.

Anyone here???

Guest Silver Bullet

Well, one out of two isnt bad.

Also, what genre do you put them in. I find that not too many people classify them the same as I do. I always have said they are post-punk screamo. Basically...the music of punk rock, emo lyrics, but delivered with different tones. I also think they are just "Emo" overall, and there isnt anything wrong with that.

Haven't heard Fall Out Boy, but Taking Back Sunday piss me off.

Same with Dashboard Confessionals, The Alkaline Trio, Finch, and bands like this.

I try not to generalize, but this type of music is the one I can't digest, for as much as I can, the only one's of this type of music (Emo-esque) that I can digest are At The Drive-In and Thursday (To a much lesser extent).

Taking Back Sunday used to be giant to me, but now they're just "blah" in my mind, a little bit bland after all the bands that have come in and done what they do better, or just simply that my tastes have changed.

Fall Out Boy is awesome in my mind right now however, even though I find myself listening more to alexisonfire and Senses Fail right now. I'm not that deep into listening to music right now.

Same with Dashboard Confessionals, The Alkaline Trio, Finch, and bands like this.

I try not to generalize, but this type of music is the one I can't digest, for as much as I can, the only one's of this type of music (Emo-esque) that I can digest are At The Drive-In and Thursday (To a much lesser extent).

Guest Silver Bullet

I understand that you dont like Taking Back Sunday, but to say that they have no talent makes no sense to me at all.

They have one of the most talented leading singers in Adam Lazzara and a great overall musician and song writer, Dave at lead guitar.

Guest bukkake bandit

I've seen Fall Out Boy live before. I don't really care for them. They're alright live, I guess. The vocalist is too overbaring.

On the other hand, I like Taking Back Sunday. They scheduled two dates for November here in New Jersey and I'll be going to both. They've gone downhill since their first album though, lyrically. "IT'S LOOOOVE. MAKE IT HUUURT." Hm.

Guest Silver Bullet

I dont think that TBS have gone downhill, they are just evolving into something different. I am glad that when they made a new album it didnt sound like the first one. As for TBS live....its different. It isnt what most people expect, because Adam passes the mic out to the crowd the whole time. But, like he says, if you want to hear him sing then listen to the cd.

As for FOB live, I saw them twice, and they are great. They play with so much energy you cant help but love it.

Guest Silver Bullet

The Fall Out Boy cd "Take This to Your Grave" is very good. Even better is their acoustic EP "My Heart Will Always be the B-Side to my Tounge". The lyrics on that cd dont sound like pop-punk AT ALL. You should check out that cd or at least download the songs.

The fact you put Alkaline Trio in that list with those bands sort of down grades your arguement (Actually, what arguement). Alkaline Trio are a phenomenal band (Of course each their own oppinion) and have develloped and modified their sound over time. Now they are pretty much more of a punky band than an emo band (Even their older stuff is different to the likes of Finch, Dashboard *eugh*, Taking Back Sunday. Who in turn are different to each other). This of course is just my oppinion, and i'm just sticking up for one of my favourite bands.

Guest bukkake bandit

The Fall Out Boy cd "Take This to Your Grave" is very good. Even better is their acoustic EP "My Heart Will Always be the B-Side to my Tounge". The lyrics on that cd dont sound like pop-punk AT ALL. You should check out that cd or at least download the songs.
Edited by bukkake bandit

The fact you put Alkaline Trio in that list with those bands sort of down grades your arguement (Actually, what arguement). Alkaline Trio are a phenomenal band (Of course each their own oppinion) and have develloped and modified their sound over time. Now they are pretty much more of a punky band than an emo band (Even their older stuff is different to the likes of Finch, Dashboard *eugh*, Taking Back Sunday. Who in turn are different to each other). This of course is just my oppinion, and i'm just sticking up for one of my favourite bands.

I've never heard of Fall Out Boy but Taking Back Sunday are okay, nothing to write home about though. On a scale 100 in talent i'd give them around 47 (So average'ish, possibly below, have a couple of good songs)

I don't like them because:

a) The voice is nothing special

B) The instruments just seem to be.... there, they aren't treated like something that makes the song, unlike most Indie bands do.

c) I don't like the lyrics "My girlfriend dumped me! die bitch! Tun tu ru" or things like that... it's something that I or an average joe would write when pissed at someone.... what's so special and unique about that?

d) Their fans piss me off. I know several fans over here of this bands, and just because you like... I don't know, Franz Ferdinand or Modest Mouse, you are called a hippie. If you have a more expanded music liking (I can go from liking Ramones, to Guns N' Roses, to Alice In Chains, to latin music, to Outkast) you are called a poser, because "You don't know what you are, you should either stick to rock, or punk, or emo, but not all of them, that would make you a POSER! LOSER!"... I'm not generalizing, but seems like every fan of this genre (Taking Back Sunday, Finch, Dashboard Confessionals) is this stupid jerk who believes they know more about music because they know who Sex pistols is/was, but have no idea who Lynyrd Skynyrd was. They-

Edited by George

Guest Silver Bullet

Im sorry to hear that you have meet some pretty stupid TBS fans George. Most people that I know that like the music that I do arent like that at all, but in fact just listen to the music that we like and dont care what anyone else likes or what they know about it.

Also, major props to Malenko for knowing who Sunny Day Real Estate is. They started "emo" in my opinion, along with bands like Jawbreaker and Rites of Spring.