A new smaller Ps2 availalbe Soon

Docpepper

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And before everyone creams their pants about how it's half the size of every console out there, remember that it's an antiquated piece of shit that takes half an hour to load a 30 second cutscene. The technology that is is the PS2 is radically out of date and is thus available at it's "AMAZING" new size.

It also lacks a fan, because it was never that powerful and didn't need one.

Guest Downloading_Man

If it's legit, then I would probably be more willing to take a chance and chip my current PS2. I always feared that it would break and I'd have to spend a lot of money on another one. Now I feel I could justify buying a new one if it was better to look at etc. However, I'll believe it when I see it.

Guest Downloading_Man

In reply to SeanDMan I agree. As I said I was reluctant to replace my PS2 because the technology is getting on a bit. I would hope for at least minor improvements in the new model.

I don't know about everyone else, but I don't need a hoover in my house. My PS2 is a F***ing dust magnet. I regularly have to use the hoover (OK I do need one), to try and clean the grill on the front, and the fan on the back. I presume there wasn't much of an air filtration system in the PS2, so the fan may actually have been doing more harm than good, with all the dust and particles it was sucking inside. Also, it should be a lot quiter without that damn fan.

I don't know about everyone else, but I don't need a hoover in my house. My PS2 is a F***ing dust magnet. I regularly have to use the hoover (OK I do need one), to try and clean the grill on the front, and the fan on the back. I presume there wasn't much of an air filtration system in the PS2, so the fan may actually have been doing more harm than good, with all the dust and particles it was sucking inside. Also, it should be a lot quiter without that damn fan.

It's technically not sucking anything inside. The purpose of the fan is not to pull air in but to extract the heated air inside the machine, which is warmed by the PS2's processors. The dust that's blown onto the grill is from inside... the PSD attracts a disordinate amount of dust and everytime you move it or open it, some gets inside via the CD tray and is sucked onto the back.

I'm not sure why but the thing attracts an inordinate amount of dust. I have a Gamecube that I have had to wash 3 times in little over a year and a half, each time from spills. In about a month I have swapped the GC for the PS2, I have had to wipe down the PS2 twice. What's worse is that it kicks dust up into the air whenever it's on, so it fires the shit back onto both the TV and the VCR it's hooked up to. I don't know where all the dust comes from and why it is attracted to the PS2... I'm guessing poorly insulated static or magnetic charge in the CD mechanism?... but it's annoying as fuck.

Edit: On the noise, my PC is about a foot from me and my PS2 is twenty feet away, and the noise is about even. That's rediculous given the additional applicative uses my PC has, and it's much more powerful. I don't know what the fuck they were doing when they made the PS2, but they fucked it up right.

Edited by SeanDMan

I will not buy one unless they produce a fliptop the same size.

Plus isn't the PS3 coming out within the next couple of years?

Edited by Krazy_K

Guest Downloading_Man

In reply to - Plus isn't the PS3 coming out within the next couple of years?

I'm pretty sure they run on a 5 year rota of consoles. The question is how long ago did the PS2 come out? I'm guessing about 3-4 years ago?

How much are they actually gonna charge for this? Surely they can't get away with raising the price of the current PS2, by too large an amount.

1. The article says it's the same price.

Plus isn't the PS3 coming out within the next couple of years?

Yes, you see, this is how capitlism works.

First, you release a product. Your product sells really well, so you order up huge numbers of replacements. And again. And again. And then you order up a huge number of replacements, and they don't sell. Well, what do you do now? You just shipped a huge number of replacements that didn't sell, and you have a shitload of spare parts ready to be assembled, but nowhere to sell them. First, you just bide your time... that stockpile of PS2's will decline with return business and some of those replacement parts will go into servicing warranteed models. Then, when you begin to make a new system, you drop your price. A bunch of people who said "I'm not paying that much for an old machine" will now buy it at it's lower price, and people whose PS2s broke after their warantee expired (and it's a shitty, flim-flam console, there are a lot of them) will buy new cheaper replacements. But you still have a warehouse full of spare parts... so what do you do? Easy. Repackage it... smaller... more compact and mobile. Attach a screen, maybe, or integrate the modem. Then all the people who didn't have one, or who were beaten repeatedly as a child like Kamala, will run out and say "Ooooooooo! Shiny!" and buy your worthless, outdated, and practically garbage parts, all with a new plastic case and marketting.

Capitalism works because people are stupid. We saw it with the PSOne. We'll see it with the X-Box. We're seeing it with the PS2. Marketting turns shit into solid gold, but only because you let it.

I don't know where all the dust comes from and why it is attracted to the PS2... I'm guessing poorly insulated static or magnetic charge in the CD mechanism?... but it's annoying as fuck.

The PC we have accumulates FAR more dust, cat hair, etc. than the PS2.

My PC isn't even close. Not even remotely close. I had to clean the fan a week ago for the first time in the same period I have had the Gamecube. It's even been in my basement, full of concrete dust and ciggarette smoke, and it's fine.

The monitor can get a little on the dusty side, but it's still not as bad as the PS2 by a longshot.

Capitalism works because people are stupid. We saw it with the PSOne. We'll see it with the X-Box. We're seeing it with the PS2. Marketting turns shit into solid gold, but only because you let it.

I'd be pretty bitter too if I wasted my money on a Gamecube with all it's shitty "kid" games.

If that's a dig, then it's a bad one. I've already stated that I am not pleased with the Gamecube target demographic and it's marketting. Do some research, Bluesman (man I never thought I would say that), and you'll see that I'm not ecstatic with my Gamecube. I can't get NHL 2K5 on the Gamecube, which sucks. Because every game that comes out on the PS2, Cube, and X-Box looks better on the X-Box and plays better on the Gamecube. The only thing the PS2 gives games is half hour loading times during which you can take a shit, fuck a hooker, cut and do several lines of coke, and then come back and still have time to grab a drink before you can wait your sweet 45 seconds of FMV and then get another timely break as it loads the actual game. It's a piece of shit, it was a piece of shit when it was made, it'll be a shit when they make the next one. The PS2 can't decide whether it wants to be a DVD player, Internet browser, or game system, and as a result it does none of them well. Go ahead and boast about your games, play Code Veronica, play Resident Evil Zero, and then tell me the Playstation 2 is a better system. And don't worry, I'll wait for to quickly clean it and let it boot up. If you're not back in a day or two I'll call Microsoft and get them to buy you a PC, the only system invented that can play games, surf the internet, and play DVDs and not have one feature suck cock like that Lex guy paying for special school.

wirred, i barly have very long loading times with PS2, exept for a handfull of games were you could actualy blame it on bad coding . . . and i am pritty shure that PS2 always was intended to be a gaming console, the other funktions just were way to crapy from the beginning and just marketing gags that aperently worked very well, and as a gaming system it dos what it should do, give me a shitload of games that i want to play (there are like 1 1/2 for x-box that i would care about testing and a handfull more on gamecube + while we are at it, i don´t give shit about the high end factor, i still got my SNES conected to the TV, good gaming is what i care fore and not fucking technical nitpiking about stuff that barly afects the games...)

something funny someone just reminded me of the other day, X-Box was actualy advertised as the first console that never will have loading times, bwahahahahaa, annyone every looked at the new headhunter game on it ? Bwhahahahahaa.........

Guest Future Shock

For the record, I've ordered a PSOne. But Sean, I had a Gameboy Advance SP, with games that were probably of lesser quality for three times the price of what a great PS1 game is. And the system is about the same price.

Not trying to kick ya in the balls or anything, but right now, I like the PSOne because the games are cheap and I can afford to buy billions of them~! Also, the games it has are obviously friggin good, like Street Fighter Alpha 3. GBA version < PS1 version.

I'll randomize this for no reason perticularily.

i don´t give shit about the high end factor, i still got my SNES conected to the TV, good gaming is what i care fore and not fucking technical nitpiking about stuff that barly afects the games...

Neither do I, to this day I play N64, I'd play SNES but I sold mine to the brother, gameplay matters to me. I don't care what system... I play Hitman Contracts, I think it's a great game, great story, great attention to detail... great idea, great gameplay, but it pisses me off that the system takes 2 minutes to load the console, then 2 minutes to load the Eidos intro, 2 minutes to load the opening movie, 2 minutes to load the menu screen, five minutes to access the memory card, five minutes to load the save file, and then 10 minutes to load the level. If that were on the Gamecube or the PC, it would not take me over 25 minutes to get into my fucking save file, but the PS2 is a piece of shit and it's frustrating in a game like Hitman where failure is an optinion, because reloading the fucking thing takes more time then finishing each level.

wirred, i barly have very long loading times with PS2, exept for a handfull of games were you could actualy blame it on bad coding . . .

It happens on every game, from the reasonable (about 6 minutes to start a game of GTA 3) to the absolutely disgusting (any FMV heavy game, Resident Evil, Htman, the Smackdown games where for every 20 minutes of gaming you spend 40 plus waiting for it to load). I have NEVER had a game take more then 2 minutes to load on the Gamecube, including cutscene heavy Resident Evil. The majority of the time loading on the GC is the memory card, which every system, including the PC, suffers from.

One more.

With the smaller size, I'd expect it to break easier. The original ones are terrible for breaking.

Damn fucking right, I have NEVER broken a Gamecube controller and I've owned five, I have broken one N64 controller and I have owned the system close to a decade now I think... on the other hand the PS2 controller I have plugged into the system right now had a major cord malfunction and is spliced and taped together in 3 places, the R1 button catches when it depresses and needs to be snapped free, and the D-Pad is stiff as fuck, but that's a design flaw. The thing feels brittle as fuck like you're holding a wishbone and one subtle twist and it will snap in half. This is not just a feeling, as I have personally had two Playstation controllers shatter in my hands. I have seen one or two thrown on the floor and just completely turn to fucking dust. The only destruction I have witnessed during a heated Nintendo game was when an N64 controller was thrown on the concrete, bounced off unharmed, and hit the TV. The controller worked and likely still does. The TV was toast.

In short, you like the PS2 because of big money marketting. That's it. Even if you say It's the games like Matzat does, the only reason it has better games is because the games are cheaper to make, PS gives them a bigger shard because they have huge revenue elsewhere and got afford it, and the market base is huge because of focused advertising dollars. It was never a good system and it never will be.

Edit: Responding to Bluesman:

You failed to mention the Gamecube when taking digs at other gaming systems.

In this thread.

I also seem to recall you having a thread talking about how you're happy that they are finally marketing towards older gamers, as opposed to continuing to go after the "kids" (at least I'm thinking that's what you were saying).

That was the research I was pointing to. You'll notice that thread (It's about motherfucking time, if you want to search for it) I spare no salt on the Gamecubes wounds of being the personal favourite of the preteen playgrounds.

Personally, I've found the Gamecube to have an absoloutely horrible selection of games. The fiancee's friend left hers here for a week, and there wasn't anything worthwhile to rent for it. The X-Box on the other hand, I can name a few off the top of my head (Morrowind, Tenchu, etc.)

That's a fair complaint. But to suggest that I'm bitter because I say the PS2 is a piece of shit is wrong. I am bitter, about a lot of things, but I got a PS2 for free and gave it away because I didn't want it, and I borrowed it a month or so ago, have played 3 games, and it is no more interesting to me then my Gamecube and much more frustrating, BY FAR, due to it's poor concept and design.

I personally employ the Scarface method, where I just throw my face into a large pile of it

I like to start at the sternum and make a trail between the breasts, snorting my way down to the promised land. A mounc on the mound, I call it. It's quite fun.

Edited by SeanDMan