A new smaller Ps2 availalbe Soon

Docpepper

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bluesman

In short, you like the PS2 because of big money marketting. That's it. Even if you say It's the games like Matzat does, the only reason it has better games is because the games are cheaper to make, PS gives them a bigger shard because they have huge revenue elsewhere and got afford it, and the market base is huge because of focused advertising dollars. It was never a good system and it never will be.

Edited by Bluesman

Bluesman, the games you play come to the PS2 because of big money deals that Nintendo could not afford. As solely a game console, it (and the Dreamcast) NEVER had a shot against VCR/TV giant Sony. They chucked around money like Slick Willy's seed... and as a result you have more and more games that are PS2 exclusives.

Now that Microsoft is in the mix, things are interesting. MS has more money but is unproven in this market, a market dominated by Sony. When it comes to negotiation/bidding wars, Nintendo is an also ran at best and a missing in action at worst, as they simply cannot fron the scratch.

THATS marketting. THATS how the PS2 got to be the Dominant force it is. Not because it was a better system... but because it was better at marketting.

Edit: Replying to Media: Why did I get the feeling he was going to fight me on this:

You know how big the environments on GTA are right? I find it hard to believe on any system, that with there only being one load time...that first one wouldn't be long. There's just no way in hell the beginning load time could be short

Try playing it on the two other systems it was released on.

I can't understand that unless you've just like, taken a hammer to your controller a few times for the hell of it...

To be honest, one of them was a third party controller. I should dig that up... it's still on my floor, but it just broke right in half. The other one, the DS2, I was playing NFS, and one of the damn wings came off, and all the buttons fell to the floor. It wasn't my controller but fortunatly I didn't have to foot the bill... turns out that was his third broken controller.

Also, like I said, the PS2 I have now has two working controllers and 3 bunk ones. One working and one bunk are third party, so that's a 1/2 ratio of working to broken, and the working one is held together by hockey tape.

Edited by SeanDMan

As much as I hate to admit it, Sean has good points.

Now my question is, do the colours of the PS2 change a thing? Is a silver better than a black? Or is it to just get people like Kamala too buy two?

Its just to give people who don't have one an incentive to have a nice shiny coloured one. Same with the dinky one, its a nice marketing ploy which doesn't harm the consumer since its staying the same price. If mine wasn't still working perfectly with four perfectly durable joypads I'd have one myself.

Holy shit..you must have some concrete hands...really. And squeeze hard as fuck at that. Me personally, I have taken my controller numerous times, and being pissed thrown it on the floor or something (those sports game just piss you off sometimes) And I have yet to have my controller break on me. I still have the one that came with the PS2. Hell, I still have the one that came with the PS1 and that's been one long ass time. So how you can have not one, but two shatter in your hands...is amazing, I can't understand that unless you've just like, taken a hammer to your controller a few times for the hell of it...

Oh shit, a console war thread. These things get dirtier than religious and abortion threads. Anyway, Sean makes good points about marketing, but I personally play my PS2 for the games, not how they're marketed to me.

And I've had my PS2 since 2001, PS1 since 1998, never had a single controller shatter in my hands. My original PS1 I got in 1995 did die on me, but that probably came from constant usage, I got a new one in 98. My PS2 died on me last winter, I called Sony, they completely refurbished it for free and sent me a new controller along with it. So I like the Sony company, they've been good to me.

I do own a Gamecube as well and I love it just as much as my PS2. Never had a problem with it, controllers are durable as well.

Brother owns an Xbox... if it had some exclusive titles I really wanted to play, I'd own one too. But in all honesty, it just has no titles that appeal to me.

I play Hitman Contracts, I think it's a great game, great story, great attention to detail... great idea, great gameplay, but it pisses me off that the system takes 2 minutes to load the console, then 2 minutes to load the Eidos intro, 2 minutes to load the opening movie, 2 minutes to load the menu screen, five minutes to access the memory card, five minutes to load the save file, and then 10 minutes to load the level. If that were on the Gamecube or the PC, it would not take me over 25 minutes to get into my fucking save file, but the PS2 is a piece of shit and it's frustrating in a game like Hitman where failure is an optinion, because reloading the fucking thing takes more time then finishing each level.
Edited by Michael Matzat

Guest Downloading_Man

I own a PS2 (Had a PS1, but laser broke and started really scratching discs), a PC, a GBA, a Sega Saturn and a Sega MegaDrive\Mega CD. The saturn is long gone (packed away) but the MegaDrive\Mega CD (along with PS2 & PC) is still set up. Even though I've got all the games, and more as ROM's on my PC. You just can't beat playbility. The games are fun. At the end of the day graphics are about dazzling the customer, or just showing off.

My main point though is Playstation controllers. On my PS2, my main controller is the one I got with my PS1, around 5 years ago. The only thing wrong with it is the rubber is no longer on the analogue sticks. It split, and needed pulling off after only a few months. The controller I go with my PS2, around 2 years ago is a whole different matter. For starters it always felt flimsy compared to the PS1 controller. It has since split in half (Along where the two halfs connect), the coating on the wire has split and come off, exposing about 20cm of the internal wires. The L2 button no longer works at all, the R2 button is suspect, and all of the shoulder buttons have fallen out on several occasions. I now have to use an old third-party PS1 controller for my 2-player games. Its still fine, despite being a veteren of such games as the original Metal Gear Solid, and Gran Turismo games.

The best third part controllers I ever got were purchased in a shop opposite Woolworths (No-longer there I think), in Peterlee (UK). They were white, and double as PS1 \ PS2 AND Sega Saturn controllers. They were more compact that the standard controller for either system, and even than any controller I've seen since (Imagine half the depth of a PS controller, 2/3 of it's height, and about 4/5 it's width...but it was still managable, maybe even perfect). The actual connectors had two connections at right angles (No prizes for guessing one Playstation, one Sega Saturn). The had vibration function, autofire, slow-motion (Presses 'start' really fast) and some other stuff as well. The cost...£3.00 (£5.00 for 2 !). The best buy I ever made. They lasted about 3 years, despite heavy use on both the Saturn and PS1. I know it's a long shot but does anyone know who made them?

I need a good joystick controller for my PS2, because its hard to do complex combos in fighting games with the standard controller. That's my one big gripe with Sony; the controllers absolutely suck for fighting games. There's NO WAY I can do any of the harder combos in Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance (like Cyrax's Oil Leak combo), Tekken Tag Tournament or Tekken 4, and its hard to the more complex ones in DOA2 Hardcore.

And anyone who has had a game or FMV sequence take more than 2 minutes to load probably needs to either get a replacement disk if the problem is only with one game, or get their system checked if its happening with more than one game. I've got Xenosaga, which has some pretty lengthy FMV sequences (one is about 45 minutes long, and I think there are one or two others that are around 30 minutes long), and they've always loaded pretty fast.

As for the Gamecube and X-Box, I have no desire to get either system. (Well, I'd take an X-Box if someone gave me one as a present, but if they gave me a Gamecube, I'd sell it) There aren't many X-Box exclusive games that I'm dying to play, I don't care about online play for ANY console games, and the Gamecube looks more like a kiddie system to me. (That is, it has a bigger share of games that are for kids than the PS2 and X-Box seem to have).

No, there are only a handful. Minus, the ending, which I haven't seen, there are only a couple of FMV seqeuences in the game - most of which last less than 5 seconds.

Other than the ones I've already listed, I recall a 1 second scene showing the Gnosis and the Federation Fleet shoot random lasers at each other. Even if I'm missing one or two, that hardly counts as alot more.

Umm, there's something wrong with your copy, then. Because there's a lot more than what you've described, Gongsun.

There's AT LEAST 2 and a half to 3 hours of FMV footage altogether in the game.

Its been a while since I've played Xenosaga, but iirc, the 45 minute long sequence takes place when Shion and KOS-MOS leave the ship that you start the game on, and the sequence introduces Captain Matthews and his crew (including chaos).

And there are a couple of 30 minute long sequences, too. Maybe more.

There's one particularly disturbing one involving Albedo and Momo......

Can't wait for the sequel, which comes out February 15th, 2005. But I'm not happy about the change in animation style. (I am happy about the double team tech attacks, though)

I know what you mean. Those are just in-game (real-time, whatever) cutscenes (which are very good, btw). The FMVs are the sequences like the start of the game (the part in Kenya). It's pretty easy to tell the difference.

FMV differs from real-time cutscenes in that real-time cutscenes must render the game environment just as in the actual game, whereas FMV is simply a playback of something that was previously recorded, usually rendered by a much more powerful machine. Thus, FMV is usually much higher quality than real-time cutscenes, and the two can usually be differentiated by this.
Edited by Gongsun Zan

Umm, there's something wrong with your copy, then. Because there's a lot more than what you've described, Gongsun.

There's AT LEAST 2 and a half to 3 hours of FMV footage altogether in the game.

Its been a while since I've played Xenosaga, but iirc, the 45 minute long sequence takes place when Shion and KOS-MOS leave the ship that you start the game on, and the sequence introduces Captain Matthews and his crew (including chaos).

And there are a couple of 30 minute long sequences, too. Maybe more.

There's one particularly disturbing one involving Albedo and Momo......

Can't wait for the sequel, which comes out February 15th, 2005. But I'm not happy about the change in animation style. (I am happy about the double team tech attacks, though)