Black Sabbath confirmed for Ozzfest

BLACK SABBATH TO HEADLINE OZZFEST 2004; FIRST LIVE APPEARANCE SINCE 2001

LOS ANGELES, May 18, 2004 ¯ Call it a mandate from the people. Call it a rumor that just won’t die. Call it what you want, but since the April 27 release of the CD/DVD BLACK BOX: THE COMPLETE ORIGINAL BLACK SABBATH (1970-1978), there’s been enormous public demand for a Black Sabbath tour. Original Black Sabbath members OZZY OSBOURNE, TONY IOMMI and GEEZER BUTLER (as well as Osbourne-solo band member Mike Bordin, on drums) – will storm the U.S., performing 26 shows on OZZfest, starting July 10 in Hartford, Conn.

The reviews of Black Box have been phenomenal: Rolling Stone: “[black Box] sounds even better... in this eight-CD/one DVD set than it did on vinyl... all the Sabbath you’ll ever need. 4 STARS.” Spin noted, “Black Box collects the first eight albums... all skull-crushingly heavy.” For its part, Details declared: “This is evil,” calling the anthology “a boot crushing a windpipe... teeth on bone.” And Time Out New York proclaimed, “Black Box compiles a body of work more central to modern, popular music than that of any band since The Beatles.”

OZZfest had already unleashed the biggest buzz of the upcoming tour season, with OZZY (now as a member of BLACK SABBATH) to headline the main stage along with a fistful of rock legends, including a reunited Judas Priest, Slayer, Dimmu Borgir, Superjoint Ritual (featuring Phil Anselmo) and Zakk Wylde’s Black Label Society. Fans checking out OZZfest’s Second Stage will get a real treat with a “get close to the fans” set by headliners Slipknot. Hatebreed, Lamb of God, Atreyu and 10 other up-and-comers will keep (hell) fires burning there throughout the day.

Hurrah. Even though it won't be the same without their Randy Rhoades(R.I.P.) and it won't be with the original drummer, Bill Ward.

Well, that might make some metal-heads happy. Shoot, I may even make me happy. I am kinda disappointed though that I heard Good Charlotte would be at Ozzfest. Ah well, at least it ain't like Simple Plan performing at Ozzfest. Simple Plan = Death of Ozzfest

I just wish when bands would go on a farwell tour that they would not come back. I saw Black Sabbath a few years back on there farwell tour then I saw them that summer at ozzfest and that was suppossed(sp) to be the last tour. But I guess it's just like the eagles and Kiss keep having farwell tours and never stop touring.

Drummer Bill Ward will be rejoining his BLACK SABBATH bandmates at this year's Ozzfest after all. The following is Bill's official statement on the matter, as posted on his official web site:

"Dear SABBATH People,

"I have communicated to Sharon [Osbourne] that I will accept the proposal of 5/11/04 regarding me playing Ozzfest, and today I received a very positive response from her. At this time, I am taking this response as a move forward. This announcement is for the benefit of all those who these past few days have been so outspoken favouring and supporting me as a member of SABBATH. I personally thank all of you. To All SABBATH People On Earth - Rock & Shine."

And where did you hear that Good Charlotte *gag* will be at OzzFest? It's not on the official site (at least - last I checked.)

And where did you hear that Good Charlotte *gag* will be at OzzFest? It's not on the official site (at least - last I checked.)

I'm not sure. I think I heard it on MTV. I may have mistaken that story for something else because last I heard is that they will be on the Warped tour with New Found Glory.