Les Claypool

tristy

Yes. So, the more I listen to Buckethead's The Ballad Of Buckethead, the more I want to listen to Les Claypool and his various side projects. One problem though.

I don't know where to start. Primus? Colonel Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade? Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains? So many bands, so little time.

So, suggest which band of Claypool's I should start out with, and a few songs by whichever band you suggest, if that's not to much to ask.

Edited by Tristof Kitler

Anywhere you start with Les Claypool is a good start. However, Primus is probably the best place, since it's where he has gained most of his notoriety. I personally like DMV, My Name is Mud, Mr. Know it All, Too many puppies, The Devil Went Down to Georgia, Tommy the Cat, and Seas of Cheese. Primus CD's can be found for a ridiculously cheap price on Half.com. I have had the privelege of seeing Primus live, and they were fucking great.

Oysterhead is another good project of Les Claypool that also involved Trey Anastasio and Stuart Copeland. Some good songs from them are Mr. Oysterhead, Shadow of a Man, and Pseudo Suicide.

Sausage is another great Les Claypool lead group. The only album of their's I know of is "Riddles are Abound Tonight", and I highly suggest picking it up. Prelude to Fear, Riddles are Abound Tonight, Shattering Song, and Recreating are a few of my favorite tracks off of that album.

As for the Flying Frog Brigade and Bucket of Bernie Brains, I can't make any suggestions because I haven't heard enough of them. However, if Les Claypool is involved, it's a sure bet that you can't go wrong with any of their songs.

As a matter of fact, Bucket of Bernie Brains are going to be in Royal Oak soon, so I'd like to secure a set of tickets for myself

Guest George

Download Les Claypool's bass solos.

Ding dang - Frog's brigade

Jerry was a racecar driver

Tommy the cat

Wynona's Big brown beaver

My name is mud

DMV

Pudding time

South Park Theme

John the fisherman

Pretty much Sailing the sea of cheese > *

Frog's brigade is also amazing....

Bah, anything with Les Claypool > *.

I'd say get anything except Oyseterhead and the Frog Brigade's studio album: Purple Onion. Definately look into Sausage and the 1st 3 Primus albums (Suck on This, Frizzle Fry, Sailing the Seas of Cheese) are better than any of the side projects.

I don't know if I'd completely swear off Oysterhead, but it is definitely alot different than anything Les has done. It's actually a surprise that I enjoyed anything by Oysterhead because I really hate Trey Anastasio and Phish. But I think Oysterhead is worth a listen, if only to hear Les's excellent bass work on "Mr. Oysterhead".

Edit - I will admit that Oysterhead isn't exactly a favorite of mine, but as they say, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Edited by VerbalPuke

Weird, I was listening to "Harold of The Rocks" by Primus when I saw this. I'd say about anywhere is good to start with Claypool. I started at Primus personally because that is where my dad told me to go.

Okay, so here's a question.

Does any of the songs in ANY of the other bands Claypool is involved in have serious tones to them? I mean, I like Primus from what I've heard, but let's face it, it's not to serious :P

I know, I know. I was just wondering if there was another side of Claypool that I haven't seen, and since I haven't seen his serious side, I was just wondering.

Thanks for everyones suggestions!

Guest George

All the songs I have heard from him are "Fun" songs...

And to tell you the truth, I don't want him making a ballad or anything with a slow tempo... hell, I'll kill him if he thinks about doing an unplugged.

I don't know if I would call it serious but parts of Tales From The Punchbowl are pretty heavy. Also check out The Heckler, it's a semi-serious flat out rockin song. But then again, why does it need to be serious? Primus is just fun to listen to and rock out to, there's no need to be angry. :)