Peter Moylneux apologizes for Fable

Billy Castillo

Saw this on insidepulse.com

The full statement reads:

"There is something I have to say. And I have to say it because I love making games. When a game is in development, myself and the development teams I work with constantly encourage each other to think of the best features and the most ground-breaking design possible.

However, what happens is that we strive to include absolutely everything we've ever dreamt of and, in my enthusiasm, I talk about it to anyone who'll listen, mainly in press interviews. When I tell people about what we're planning, I'm telling the truth, and people, of course, expect to see all the features I've mentioned. And when some of the most ambitious ideas get altered, redesigned or even dropped, people rightly want to know what happened to them.

If I have mentioned any feature in the past which, for whatever reason, didn't make it as I described into Fable, I apologise. Every feature I have ever talked about WAS in development, but not all made it. Often the reason is that the feature did not make sense. For example, three years ago I talked about trees growing as time past. The team did code this but it took so much processor time (15%) that the feature was not worth leaving in. That 15 % was much better spent on effects and combat. So nothing I said was groundless hype, but people expecting specific features which couldn't be included were of course disappointed. If that's you, I apologise. All I can say is that Fable is the best game we could possibly make, and that people really seem to love it.

I have come to realise that I should not talk about features too early so I am considering not talking about games as early as I do. This will mean that the Lionhead games will not be known about as early as they are, but I think this is the more industry standard.

Our job as the Lionhead family of studios is to be as ambitious as we possibly can. But although we jump up and down in glee about the fabulous concepts and features we're working on, I will not mention them to the outside world until we've implemented and tested them, and they are a reality.

Thank you for reading.

Peter

Edited by Billy Castillo

Guest Future Shock

He shouldn't HAVE to apologize. Everybody knows he overhypes stuff, Example: Black and White.

You know what was still one of the best games I've ever played?

Yea, Black and White. Same issue here.

Who cares if the trees don't grow along with you, or if the people don't age along with you? It's still one of the games I have NO regrets buying. Which happens a lot.

Fable isn't online capable, it's only online aware, which just means it shows that your online and what game you're playing. However there is a Fable 1.5 supposedly coming out that is supposed to feature downloadable content from X-Box live, online play I don't know about.

EDIT: Having played Fable I enjoy the game and it's still a very good game despite the over-hype.

Edited by Sullen Slacker

Guest Mr McFarlane

When I heard that Fable was being made on the XBOX I felt a bit bad for Peter's lofty goals.

If he wanted to make it for the PC you would see whatever the hell he liked in the game since developing games for the seXbox (I like to call it that), or any console for that matter, You have limits.

If Fable was on the PC trees would grow, People would age, Women could have breast implants, etc. etc. etc.

But that's not to say Fable isn't a great road on the way to a fully open ended RPG game that will eventually be as games get more and more in depth. Fable is the nessicary growths in a genre which has not really changed since FF3/6 for christsakes =P

Edited by Quixotic Kou

Guest Mr McFarlane

But that's not to say Fable isn't a great road on the way to a fully open ended RPG game that will eventually be as games get more and more in depth. Fable is the nessicary growths in a genre which has not really changed since FF3/6 for christsakes =P

Exactly. Fable is a great step towards making the RPG genre even better then it is. I'd love to see such open endness is a Final Fantasy.