WCW 2001 - Saving the Dream

jayden

WCW Thunder

Thursday 25th January 2001

Mike Tenay, Don Callis, Dusty Rhodes

With this the final show before the Sin Pay Per View excitement levels should have been high. The truth was though that they weren't. The matches on the show that had already been announced hardly had the fans bursting with anticipation and this had the potential to be a very ordinary show going in.

-Disco upsets the Bull-

The show starts off backstage where Johnny the Bull is shown going into a locker room. Disco Inferno sees him coming through the door and tries to hide behind one of the lockers. JTB sees him and walks over behind him...."Hey Disco, where's my money, you aint tryin to duck me are ya?".... It becomes apparent that Disco had promised to pay Johnny the Bull for beating up Terry Funk on Nitro. Disco gets up slowly before pointing over JTB's head and telling him to watch out because there's something behind him. As Johnny looks around Disco runs past him and out of the door leaving the angry JTB to thump one of the locker doors.

77%

Tenay What about that little coward Disco Inferno, it's quite clear that he's tried to pay Johnny the Bull to take out Terry Funk on Monday night and now he won't even pay the Bull. Fans, I'm Mike Tenay joined once again by the American Dream Dusty Rhodes, and Don Callis. We're just three days away from Sin, so much to talk about as we go into the pay per view Dusty.

Dusty Oh for shoowah Iron Mike, we're talking about titles on the line, we're talking about scores bein settled, we're talkin about the greatest players in this game steppin up to tha plate.

Callis Hah, I can't wait Dusty Rhodes because by Sunday night we'll be rid of the Natural Born Thrillers, we'll be rid of the Insiders, and we'll be rid of the perennial hero around here, the golden boy, Bill Goldberg!

-A first win for the Cowboy-

"Cowboy" Lance Cade d. Chris Candido

Having not seen Candido in a while, and having only seen Cade once in a match that he lost the fans really weren't into this match at all. The action in the ring though wasn't half bad. Candido seemed to have his game face on for once and managed not to both a single spot as Cade scored an impressive win hitting a legdrop off the top rope which Tenay called the Sixshooter Jam.

Overall: 61%

Crowd: 40%

Match: 83%

-Japanese Hogan's got his men primed for Sin-

Pamela Paulshock is waiting backstage with Japanese Hogan and the Invasion. Akiyama and Kojima once again have Japanese flags draped over their shoulders, Frye is snarling and thumping his chest and Hogan has on his Japanese bandana as Paulshock asks whether these men are ready for their big match at Sin...."Ya know Pammy, everyone's been asking Japanese Hogan that same question all week long. Everybody wants to know whether these two men behind me can beat the Insiders. All I keep hearing is how many times those guys have won the world title. Let me give ya some reasons as to why Mr Akiyama and Mr Kojima are going to take out those two Hogan wannabe's on Sunday night. Ya know the first thing you gotta realise is that Kevin Nash and Diamond Dallas Page have made career's out of trying to be me brutha. I've held more World titles than they have put together. They don't know when to quit and with the two most talented rising stars in this business coming for them at Sin they're gonna lose their titles, and ya know what Pammy? (Hogan looks her up and down before turning back to the camera) The Predator's just about fixed to make sure they lose their career's too, hahahahAHAHAHAHA! Oh, we can't wait for Sin Pammy, and tonight Kronik are going to see just how ready we are!

93%

-Van Hammer loses a match? How rare is that-

Lex Luger w/ Elizabeth d. Van Hammer

This was a horrible match and further evidence of just how much Luger's stock has dropped over the past four years. Luger got a relatively easy win which nobody seemed to care about getting the big man up in the torture rack for the win.

Overall: 49%

Crowd: 55%

Match: 38%

Tenay What an impressive win for Lex Luger, guilty by association or not to Ric Flair's Magnificent Seven you have to be impressed with the physique of that man right there.

Callis Guilty by association? It's that alliance with Flair and the Seven that makes him so dangerous Mike Tenay

-Mr Smooth gets himself into a fight and the promise of a match later on tonight-

Backstage Daffney is skipping down the corridor making strange noises. This week she has electric blue hair. As she skips merrily along Buff Bagwell puts his arm across the corridor and backs Daffney up against the wall before trying to charm her into disappearing off into one of the locker rooms with him for as he puts it "a little bit of fun with Buff Daddy". Daffney responds by screaming loudly into his face, sending Bagwell backwards in shock. Bagwell looks angry and as it he is going to hit her when Crowbar comes down the corridor and attacks Bagwell, hitting him with a right hand before shoving him off. Bagwell tells Crowbar he just made a huge mistake and that he wants a match with him later tonight. Crowbar just smiles at him as Daffney stands behind him screaming like a banshee

74%

-The Invasion looking better and better as they get a massive win-

Akiyama & Kojima w/Japanese Hogan d. Kronik

Hogan accompanied his men to the ring and drew a lot of heat from the crowd, waving the Japanese flag about throughout the match. They weren't keen to get behind Kronik but they did in this match. It turned out to be a pretty decent, and incredibly stiff, brawl as the four men pounded each other around the ring. After Kojima managed to fight Kronik off as they went for the High Time he hit Clarke with the Kojima Cutter for the win as Japanese Hogan came into the ring with the flag and began to stomp around the ring.

Overall: 64%

Crowd: 62%

Match: 66%

-Not so fast Mr Hogan, looks like your plans are dashed-

Following the bell Commissioner Dibiase came out onto the stage with a microphone. He addressed Hogan...."Whoah, whoah, whoah, hold it right there Hogan. You seem to think you're bigger than this promotion and that you can call the shots. Well, I call the shots around here. Who gives you the right to sanction a match for the Tag Team Titles at Sin? That's what I'm here to do so here's what I'm going to do. I don't think that your boys there are ready for a title shot. I don't think they've proved themselves in WCW yet so they can have their match at Sin but the World Tag Team titles will not be on the line.".. Hogan looks furious as he grabs a microphone from ringside..."Hahaha, Ted Dibiase, I always knew you were affraid of Japanese Hogan dude. You feel threatened by the biggest star in the history of the business. You gotta realise that these men just beat former WCW Tag Team champions in this ring and now you say they aren't ready? Dibiase from this day on you're a marked man dude, you're on Japanese Hogan's list and you're right up at the top of it. My Invasion had no problem with you brutha but now, now Dibiase you're in trouble. Hey Ted, whatcha gonna do? whaTCHA GONNA DO?

74%

Tenay Whoah, you just heard the call from Commissioner Dibiase the tag team titles will not be on the line at Sin

Callis Hah, I knew it, Hogan's right Dibiase is a coward. He realises that he doesn't have the power or the authority to control Japanese Hogan so he's trying to hold him down.

-Bagwell steals one over Crowbar-

Buff Bagwell d. Crowbar w/Daffney

This was a bit of a disappointment. Bagwell always blows hot and cold and tonight he was cold, no doubt about it. He botched a couple of spots and looked sloppy in most of his moves. Crowbar certainly didn't come out of this match looking good, maybe that was the intention. Bagwell picked up the win but only after rolling Crowbar up with a handful of tights for the pin.

Overall: 59%

Crowd: 59%

Match: 60%

-The Greatest chatshow in America with Chavo Guerrero Jr-

The cheap graphic slides off the screen as the Cat is sat behind his desk in a white fur coat and black leather hat. Miss Jones brings out Chavo Guerrero Jr as his guest. The Cat looks confused as he did last week...."Wait a minute, you aint James Brown, he's supposed to be here, somebody call my momma!"... Miss Jones leans over and whispers into the Cat's ear as it becomes apparent that he's not here because he's "otherwise engaged". The Cat talks to Chavo in a really uninspired interview. Chavo promises a win over Billy Kidman at Sin but the whole thing didn't come across well on tv at all.

65%

-The Thrillers and the Seven turn this one into a free for all-

Jeff Jarrett d. Shawn Stasiak

Both men came to the ring alone for this match. The fans seemed to get into it a lot more than anything else on the show so far with the heat built between the Thrillers and the Magnificent Seven certainly evident. Stasiak really pushed Jarrett all the way and had a couple of close falls, hitting a cross body block from the top rope for a two before following that up with a flying clothesline that Jarrett also managed to kick out of at two. The action spilled to the outside as both men began to beat each other around the ringside area. It was there that referee Charles Robinson took the customary ref bump that allowed Ric Flair to run out from the back and help Jarrett double team Stasiak, as both men tossed him into the steel ring steps. Jarrett rolled him into the ring and hit the Stroke as Flair tossed Charles Robinson into the ring to make the count. Jarrett won the match but as the bell rung Mike Sanders led the charge for the Natural Born Thrillers as every man came rushing out to the ring. They were followed by Luger, Bagwell, Rick Steiner and Animal from the Magnificent Seven. They all began to brawl in and around the ring as officials and security rushed out to try and separate them. Eventually Flair's men were ushered back up the aisle as the show came to a close.

Overall: 73%

Crowd: 76%

Match: 69%

-Three days away from Sin!-

As the show came to a close the same video package rolled that played on Nitro talking through each of the matches at Sin on Sunday and showed the card match by match. It had one typically WCW mistake, it still said the Insiders match was for the titles....... WCW Hardcore Title: Disco Inferno Vs Terry Funk...... Friend Vs Friend, Booker T Vs Rob Van Dam....... WCW United States Title: General Rection Vs Mike Awesome...... WCW Cruiserweight Title: Chavo Guerrero Jr Vs Billy Kidman........ Steel Cage Hell, Natural Born Thrillers (Mike Sanders, Chuck Palumbo, Shawn Stasiak, Mark Jindrak & Sean O'Haire) Vs Magnificent Seven (Jeff Jarrett, Rick Steiner, Road Warrior Animal, Lex Luger & Buff Bagwell)..........WCW Tag Team Titles: The Insiders Vs Jun Akiyama & Satoshi Kojima..........WCW World Title: Scott Steiner Vs Goldberg

78%

Overall Show Rating: 70%

TV Rating: 4.34

Attendance: 4029

Edited by jayden

user posted image

WCW World Title

user posted imageVs user posted image

Scott Steiner......Vs......Goldberg

Steel Cage Hell

Magnificent Seven......Vs......Natural Born Thrillers

Non Sanctioned Match

user posted imageuser posted imageVs user posted imageuser posted image

The Insiders......Vs......Kojima & Akiyama

WCW United States Title

General Rection......Vs......Mike Awesome

Friend Vs Friend

user posted image Vs user posted image

Rob Van Dam......Vs......Booker T

WCW Cruiserweight Title

Chavo Guerrero Jr......Vs......Billy Kidman

WCW Hardcore Title

Disco Inferno......Vs......Terry Funk

.....this Sunday night on Pay Per View

Edited by jayden

user posted image

Sunday 28th January 2001

With all the actions of the past month expected to come to a head tonight the crowd seem as excited as they have done in a long while for a WCW Pay Per View. Most of the mark hype seems to surround the showdown between Scott Steiner and Goldberg in the main event. For the smart fans most of the internet talk has been surrounding the Booker T, Rob Van Dam match with RVD being such a smart favourite throughout his ECW days. The pyros go off, the video package finishes and we're live......

Tenay Fans we're live, the waiting is over, this is WCW Sin. I'm joined on this huge night by Don Callis and the American Dream Dusty Rhodes, and Don, what a night we have in store.

Callis No doubt about it Mike Tenay, tonight we're going to see the end of the Natural Born Thrillers in World Championship Wrestling, and we're going to see the end of the career of Goldberg. I love it.

Tenay Dream, I know you're raring to go and get on with the show you've been excited all afternoon on the way here. What do you expect to see tonight?

Rhodes This is what it's really all about, this is where it's at right now, am I rightowrong Iron Mike? Rightowrong? This championship sityooayshun we got right here, I'm talking about Scott Steiner and Goldberg, is ready to kick off. I'm lookin for Goldberg to step up and take that world title away from Big Poppa Pump right here tonight.

-The Cruiser's do it again, what an opener-

WCW Cruiserweight Title: Chavo Guerrero Jr d. Billy Kidman

The crowd took a while to get into this one but the two workers managed to suck them in with an excellent contest. Chavo jumpstarted the match before the bell, cheapshooting Kidman and taking control. On a number of occasions Chavo actually looked set to end it early getting close two counts after a DDT, and later on a Lyger bomb. Kidman managed to get himself back into the match and after sending Chavo out over the top with a back body drop Kidman hit an awesome looking variation on the shooting star press from the top rope to the outside knocking Chavo off his feet. The action was soon back in the ring where Kidman continued to try to put Chavo away. He hit a superplex but could only get a two count. After hitting his trademark powerbomb though it looked like it was time for the shooting star press to put Chavo away. Kidman went to the top rope but Chavo was up on his feet. Chavo and Kidman exchanged punches before Kidman grabbed Chavo and went for a tornado DDT out of the corner. As Kidman swung round though Chavo managed to stay on his feet and block the move, kicking Kidman in the stomach and doubling him over. Chavo leapt up to the second rope and grabbed Kidman's head under his arm before hitting an incredibly crisp tornado DDT of his own for the win to kick the Pay Per View off.

Overall: 75%

Crowd: 62%

Match: 88%

Tenay Chavo Guerrero Jr doing the Guerrero family name proud with perhaps his biggest title defence yet against former champion Billy Kidman.

Rhodes Oh yeah, really Iron Mike, there aint no question about the talent right there, ahm talkin about Chavo Guerrero Jr.

-What goes around comes around Disco-

WCW Hardcore Title: Terry Funk d. Disco Inferno

Disco seemed particularly uneasy as he made his way to the ring to face Terry Funk. Funk had already come out, along with a shopping trolley full of more ridiculous weapons. Disco didn't want to get in the ring at all so Funk went outside after him. Funk chased Disco around the ring until the Inferno used his speed advantage to sucker Funk into a droptoehold into the ring steps. Disco went to work hitting Funk with everything. including at one point the kitchen sink. Disco tried to put Funk away but Funk just wouldn't stay down and eventually managed to get some offence in of his own, firing back with a series of right hands that staggered Disco long enough for him to knock him to the mat with a goldfish bowl. Disco spilled to the outside and Funk began to beat him all the way up the aisle before sending him backstage. Once they got there Disco managed to drop down and hit Funk with a lowblow but that just seemed to make the old man mad. Disco looked scared as he turned and tried to run away. As he opened a door backstage he ran straight into Big Vito who stood in front of him smiling. Disco backtracked and went for another door as Funk continued to stalk him but this time Johnny the Bull appeared and blocked his way. There was only one way for Disco to escape and that was the elevator. The door pinged and slowly opened but as Disco dived inside he was greeted by Bam Bam Bigelow who hit him with a big headbutt that sent him reeling backwards right into the clutches of the Funker who hit a DDT for the 1..2..3!

Overall: 67%

Crowd: 67%

Match: 68%

-The Natural Born Thrillers are taking their rightful place tonight!-

The camera goes backstage straight after the match where the Natural Born Thrillers are standing with Pamela Paulshock. Stasiak, Palumbo have big smiles on their faces as Jindrak and O'Haire look particularly intense. Mike Sanders is as usual in the front ready to do the talking as Pamela asks him whether they are ready for the match tonight.

Sanders Whoah whoah whoah whoah WHOAH! Look blondie, you want to know if the Natural Born Thrillers are ready? Are we READY? (Sanders looks around as the other members begin to laugh), hell Pamela we've been working for this for years. When we were down in the power plant watching guys like Rick Steiner (Sanders makes a monkey noise right after he says his name), guys like Jeff Jarrett, (Sanders says in his best Tennessee accent, "Slapnuts"), guys like the WHOOOH! Nature Boy Ric Flair himself, damn, guys, what was I saying? Forgotten those freaking lines again. (sanders looks around as Palumbo mouths silently to him "power plant")... Oh yeah, the Power Plant, while we were there training ourselves to be the most genetically j-j-j-j-j-j-jJACKED athletes in the world today we always had our eyes on being here, on being a part of World Championship Wrestling. Back then I would have told you it was an honour to be called the next Nature Boy but ya know what, now, now it's a disgrace. Ric Flair's too much of a coward to step into that cage tonight well that's fine, we're just gonna have to take out your boys, O'Haire, what's up for the Magnificent Seven tonight?Looks to me like they're S..O...L and you know what that means

O'Hairethey're Shit Outta Luck!"

84%

-The United States title's going nowhere-

WCW United States Title: General Rection d. Mike Awesome w/Major Gunns

Awesome made his entrance with Major Gunns by his side to a pretty reasonable ammount of heat from the crowd. Gunns had her amazing body out there, her disgusting face, and her complete lack of presence as always. Thankfully she was not a factor in the match at all. General Rection came to the ring with a super soaker which he set to the side of the ring as the match began. These two put on a really decent brawl. This was certainly quite a low key match compared to others on the card though and the fans never got too into it. Awesome had the first opportunity to win the match getting a close two count after a release German Suplex. Rection fought his way back into it and nearly retained his title after he hit a clothesline from the top rope but Awesome kicked out at two. As the match began to near its conclusion Awesome looked set to try and powerbomb Rection over the top rope to the outside but as he tried to get Rection up the General managed to go over and slide down his back before hitting a German suplex of his own. Rection went to the top and came off with a top rope elbowdrop. Awesome again sneaked out at two. Awesome wasn't to last much longer though as he missed a right hand that allowed Rection to take him over with a belly to belly suplex before going up to the top rope again and hitting the No Laughing Matter for the win. After the bell Rection grabbed his super soaker and began to hose Major Gunns down with it which got a bigger pop from the crowd than the rest of the match.

Overall: 72%

Crowd: 66%

Match: 78%

Callis Hell if that's the result of General Rection getting the win then I for once am right behind him, go on, get her wetter, hose her down, hahah, do it, do it!

Rhodes Whoah there callis, ya do'ne wanna give yourself an embolism right theyah

-That's respect right there, now can you dig that, sucka!-

Rob Van Dam d. Booker T

Right from the get go in this one the fans didn't seem to know who to cheer for. RVD and Booker tried to turn it into an intense rivalry but something just wasn't working, perhaps their styles just clashed more than people expected they would. At the start of the match Booker and RVD were right up in each other's faces before Van Dam shoved Booker off. The match swung back and forth early on with neither man creating any real winning opportunities. It was only when Booker went for a standing sidekick which Van Dam ducked before hitting a sidekick of his own that the match saw it's first real cover. Van Dam only got two though as Booker was back up to his feet and this time connecting with the very same move, his standing side kick, for a two count of his own. Booker got a series of near falls as he began to take Van Dam apart move by move. Booker came off the top rope with a double axe handle before hitting an elbowdrop for a two count. Booker went back to the top and went for the missile dropkick but Van Dam was up and hit a jumping spinkick as Booker came down that sent both men crashing to the mat. Van Dam rolled over but as he made the cover Booker rolled a shoulder at the last minute. Van Dam seemed to have got his second wind as he came rushing across the ring and hit the rolling thunder. Before going for the cover Van Dam hit a spinning legdrop but could still not put Booker away. Van Dam tried to kick Booker but Booker caught his leg and shoved it away, grabbing him for the book end but as he did Van Dam reversed it and hit a flatliner like move that knocked Booker out cold. RVD leapt up to the top rope before launching himself up into the air with a huge five star frog splash as referee Nick Patrick counted 1....2.....3. After the bell Patrick raised Van Dam's hand as Booked T slowly got to his feet. Booker pulled Van Dam over to him as the two men stared into each other's eyes briefly. Booker grabbed Van Dam's arm and raised it, pointing to Van Dam and giving him credit for his win. Van Dam turned to him and gave him a high five as their friendship looked to be back on track.

Overall: 70%

Crowd: 73%

Match: 64%

Tenay What a show of respect from Booker T, that was a great effort from both men out there

Callis Hah, Booker T's a loser, he couldn't cut it out there and now he's sucking up to Van Dam, makes me sick Tenay

-Who said that Flair wouldn't be in the match?-

Cage Match: The Magnificent Seven d. The Natural Born Thrillers

The cage in this one not only surrounded the ring but left a space between the ring and the cage of a couple of metres of the ringside area. With 10 men all in the match that was definitely a good thing. As expected this one became a bit of a clusterfuck with so many men in such a small space but the crowd were as into this as they were anything else on the card so far. Jeff Jarrett was the first man to try and make an escape from the cage but as he climbed he was chased up by Sean O'Haire who managed to bring him back down with a series of punches, and slamming his head into the cage. Back in the ring Animal and Rick Steiner were working over Mike Sanders who was already busted open. Shawn Stasiak and Buff Bagwell were going at it outside the ring, Stasiak reversing an attempt from Bagwell to toss him into the cage before tossing him into the steel steps at the side of the ring. Road Warrior Animal was the next man to come close to getting out of the cage but as he got two thirds of the way up Mark Jindrak leapt up onto the top turnbuckle and jumped from it onto the side of the cage, knocking Animal down in the process. At this point Ric Flair came down to ringside and appeared to be scheming on the outside. He was arguing with officials and circling the cage as Palumbo hit a belly to belly suplex on Lex Luger that sent him crashing into the side of the cage. The match was really heating up and Shawn Stasiak tried to make his way up and out when Animal grabbed him from beneath. He had Stasiak on his shoulders as Rick Steiner went to the top rope. Steiner came off the top to the outside and hit a bulldog on Stasiak off Animal's shoulders. As the DFG landed though O'Haire caught him with a superkick, and followed up with a vicious lariat on Animal. Jindrak and Luger were taking each other apart in the ring, with Luger managing to get Jindrak up in the rack. Sanders was grabbing his opportunity though and as Palumbo broke up the torture rack Sanders was already halfway up the cage trying to get out. On the outside Ric Flair was similarly trying to get into the cage and was climbing up to meet him. Sanders was all set to go over until Flair met him at the top. The two men began to exchange punches. On the other side Jeff Jarrett was beginning to make his way up too, closely followed by Sean O'Haire. Sanders nearly knocked Flair from the side of the cage as he hit him with a left hand but Flair managed to hold on before grabbing Sanders across the back of the neck and clotheslining him over the top of the cage. The crowd gasped as Sanders bounced back off the cage and flew back all the way into the ring landing out cold on the mat. O'Haire and Jarrett were fighting on the other side of the ring as they climbed the cage. It was Jarrett who came out on top as he pulled something out of his tights and clubbed O'Haire in the back of the head with it which sent him too crashing from the side of the cage. this time landing awkwardly on the concrete floor between the cage and the ring. Jarrett reached over and began to climd down the cage as Ric Flair ran around the outside of the ring celebrating his team's win.

Crowd: 73%

Match: 65%

Rhodes MIKE, MIKE! Did you see that? Sanders just fell awll the way back into the ring!

Tenay Good God, now O'Haire, O'HAIRE, God no. Jarrett pulled something out of his tights

Callis Hahahaha, I love it Mike Tenay, they've won!

-The Insiders win the battle but what about the war?-

The Insiders d. Akiyama & Kojima w/Japanese Hogan

The ammount of heat that Hogan's men got as they made their entrance was excellent considering how little time they've been in WCW. Hogan waving the Japanese flag around probably helped a lot though. As usual the fans went wild for DDP and Nash as they came out to the ring. The match itself was actually really good and proved that in the right type of match Nash can be used inredibly effectively. It wasn't long before Akiyama and Kojima had managed to cut the ring off and had DDP on his own. A succession of quick tags kept Page on the mat as the Japanese team worked him over with a number of submission moves and impressive suplexes. Akiyama hit a sickening t-bone suplex that looked to have knocked Page out cold but somehow the former World Champion managed to roll a shoulder out at the last minute. Akiyama made a tag in to Kojima who began to tease Page with a number of forearm shots before backing him up into the corner. Page swung an empty right hand which Kojima easily avoided. Page swung another left which again Kojima avoided and this time as he did so he tried to grab Page for the Kojima Cutter. As he did though Page seemed to come to life, shoving the move off, spinning Kojima around and hitting his own Diamond Cutter. The crowd went wild as Page fell to the mat, both men out and desperately in need of a tag. They began to crawl to their corners, with Kojima marginally getting there first and tagging in Akiyama. Akiyama rushed across the ring but as Page had just tagged in Big Sexy, Akiyama just ran straight into a big boot. Nash tried to set him up for a JackKnife powerbomb but Kojima was back in the ring and charged at him with a clothesline. Nash staggered backwards but as Kojima ran across the ring again to hit another clothesline Nash grabbed him up and hit a massive sideslam. Page was now back on his feet too as Hogan was going crazy on the outside. Page charged at Akiyama but Akiyama ducked his head and took DDP over with another suplex. As Akiyama turned round though he walked straight into a Nash boot to the midsection which doubled him over. Nash took him up for the Jack Knife before making the cover for the win. Akiyama and Kojima rolled to the outside as Scott Dickinson raised Page and Nash's hands. They didn't get long to celebrate their victory though. Un noticed by either man, Don Frye had leapt into the ring behind them, snarling and ready to pounce. Page turned around and got knocked out with a thundering right hand before Frye charged at Nash and backed him up in the corner. Frye rained in punch after punch before tossing him back down to the mat. Japanese Hogan, Akiyama and Kojima stepped into the ring as Hogan raised each of his men's arms in turn.

Overall: 74%

Crowd: 72%

Match: 76%

-It's time for the main event, but who's next?-

WCW World Title: Scott Steiner w/Midajah d. Goldberg

The crowd was really hot for this one, a lot moreso than they had been in any of the earlier matches. As far as main events go though this one was fairly short, something which has become accustomed in Goldberg and/or Steiner matches. The intensity was thick in the air though as they got up close, nose to nose ready to unleash their anger on each other as referee Nick Patrick showed both men the World title belt and sent them back to their corners. The bell rang and both men charged into the middle of the ring, locking up. Goldberg backed Steiner up but there was no sign of a clean break as Steiner went for a right hand, which Goldberg blocked much to the delight of the crowd before thumping in rights and lefts of his own to Steiner's midsection. Goldberg sent Steiner across the ring to the other corner and as Steiner bounced out of the corner he got hit with a Goldberg superkick that looked to have him in serious trouble. Steiner rolled out of the ring but Goldberg wasn't leting up and followed him out there. When he did though Steiner was ready for him and tossed him into the guardrail at ringside. Steiner followed up and got Goldberg up in position for a slam, but instead ran him straight into the ringpost before sliding him back into the ring. Steiner grabbed Goldberg around the waist and took him across the ring with the rolling thunder suplex before making a cover. He only got a two count and was right in Nick Patrick's face for not counting quicker. Steiner backed himself up into the corner and as Goldberg got to his feet he charged at him and knocked him straight back down with a clothesline before dropping down with an elbowdrop for a two count. Steiner backed Goldberg up in the corner again, this time sitting him up on the top rope before climbing up with him. Steiner took Goldberg over with a massive overhead superplex before giving the sign for the Steinre Recliner. As he got into position though Goldberg grabbed his legs and powered his way out of the move completely shaking off the beating he'd just taken. Goldberg picked Steiner up in an overhead press before spinning him round and driving him down with a slam. Goldberg got set to go for the spear and crouched down, ready to explode in one corner of the ring. He came running across as Steiner got to his feet but as he got there Steiner pulled Nick Patrick in front of him at the last minute. Goldberg speared right through Patrick and knocked both men to the mat. Patrick was out cold, but Steiner still looked in trouble as Goldberg got him up and prepared for the jackhammer. Goldberg locked him up, ready to take him up when Steiner kicked him right between the legs. Goldberg doubled up slightly, but Steiner wasn't finished, dropping to his knees and ramming his arm upwards to give Goldberg another low blow. Goldberg doubled right over as Steiner knocked him to the mat with a clubbing forearm to the back of the neck. Steiner gave the sign that it was over and knelt over Goldberg, locking in the Steiner Recliner. It was a good minute or so before Nick Patrick was even his knees anywhere near checking whether Goldberg was tapping. Goldberg looked to be out as Patrick lifted his arm once, and it fell lifelessly downwards. Patrick lifted it again, and a second time it fell. Patrick struggled to lift it a third time and paused before letting go. Goldberg's arm fell straight down and Steiner had retained the title. He released the hold and shoved Patrick and Goldberg aside to get Midajah and his title belt. As he climbed back into the ring to celebrate his win Goldberg was getting up to his knees. Steiner looked round and saw Goldberg shaking off his weariness at an alarmlingly quick rate so he grabbed Midajah's arm and ran backstage with her, Goldberg getting back up and giving chase.

Overall: 76%

Crowd: 84%

Match: 59%

-What the hell? Goldberg's out, and where's he going?-

The camera follows Goldberg backstage. He runs through the curtain and into the back but as he rounds a corner he is blindsided with a sickening shot from Scott Steiner and a lead pipe. Goldberg's lifeless body crashes to the floor as Steiner screams over him that he's the man. Steiner drags Goldberg's body along the short corridor to the side exit of the building. Waiting there is a limo with blacked out windows. Steiner opens the door and drags Goldberg into the back seat. As soon as the door is shut the limo speeds away with Goldberg in the back as Steiner stands there laughing at the show's conclusion.

77%

Overall Show Rating: 77%

Buy Rate: 0.90

Attendance: 11386

Edited by jayden

Why can't I just have a happy roster?

So I'm sat in my office running through my notes from last night's show when the door swings open. Sophie is trying to tell someone they can't go in and as I look up I see Booker T stood in front of me looking less than pleased

Booker: Lambrini we needa talk. I'm not happy with the way you've been using my character over recent weeks and you gotta know that I got other offers. I don't have to be here if I don't want to

Lambrini: Look, please, Booker calm down. Why don't you tell me exactly what you're unhappy with, take a seat, please

Booker sits down cautiously in front of me before starting to rant again

Booker: Now I aint got no problem with putting a guy over, or trying to help somebody else's career. I busted my ass in this company for years waiting for my shot so I know what it's like but before you got here I was in main events and world title matches. Now, now I'm in some meaningless match on Pay Per View putting Van Dam over. That match shoulda been built to be huge, but instead nobody cared

Me: Look, Booker, I'm sorry you feel like that. I didn't want to book a feud with you and RVD so early on and let me explain why. As he is debuting having him lose his first feud here could have killed his character. I didn't want you to be losing that feud, so we're not having that feud. Sure the match might not have been that meaningful but it got you a place on the Pay Per View. Now, all I'm asking is that you hear me out. You want main events? Well, you can have one tonight and trust me Booker, it's going to be the first of many but we have to do this my way, ok?

Booker: I'm listening Lambrini

Me: Right, well, here's what I'm thinking...........

WCW Nitro

Monday 29th January 2001

The night after the Sin Pay Per View was largely not expected to be a particularly strong show. Coming right after the Pay Per View (where a lot of matches ended up a disappointment) little was known about the card going in and expectation levels weren't high.

-Steiner commits the ultimate Sin!-

A video package opens up the show highlighting the events from the main event on Sin. It shows stills of the Goldberg, Steiner match. Goldberg hitting the spear right through Nick Patrick and Steiner. Goldberg getting set for the Jackhammer before Steiner's two low blows. Steiner locking on the recliner with the referee still out. It shows Patrick lifting Goldberg's arm to see if he was still in the match. It then went on to show Goldberg chasing Steiner backstage before showing another still of the lead pipe connecting with his skull. The video package ended with a shot of Steiner bundling Goldberg into the back of the limo

74%

-The Magnificent Seven rule the roost, well, for a bit anyway-

As the video package finishes all the members of the Magnificent Seven are already on their way to the ring. Luger, Bagwell, Rick Steiner, Jarrett, Flair, Scott Steiner, as well as the women, Midajah and Elizabeth. As they get into the ring Steiner holds his World Title belt aloft as Flair gets ready to talk...."Last night we showed the world who rules the roost in WCW. Last night we showed the world that we are the dominant force in professional wrestling. Last night you saw these men dismantle the Natural Born Thrillers. AND last night you saw the single most dominant wrestler in the world destroy Goldberg. You can take my word that you won't be seeing him any time soon!" (Flair pauses, looking over to Scott Steiner but as he goes back to speak Booker T's music interrupts him and the former World Champion steps out from the back. Flair looks furious that he's been interrupted as Booker says he's sick of listening to what Flair has to say. Booker says he wants a match tonight. "Oh no, OH NO, you don't deserve a title shot Booker, you're not getting Steiner tonight pal!".... Booker pauses before responding."I never said I wanted Steiner. Tonight Naitch, how about me and you?". Flair looks as though he's not going to take the challenge until Jeff Jarrett whispers something into his ear. "Booker, you've just bitten off more than you can handle, WHOOOOH!"... Booker turns to walk backstage, stopping briefly to respond....."Oh I got more than enough to handle you tonight, Ric, don't hate the playa...... hate the Game!"

85%

Tenay Whoah, you just heard it, later on tonight it's going to be Ric Flair and Booker T one on one

Rhodes I don't like it Iron Mike, it seemed to me there was bad intentions in that scheming maahnd of the Nature Boy, I'm talkin about Ric Flair right there.

Callis Oh there'll be plenty going on in Ric Flair's mind Dusty Rhodes, don't you worry about that. Booker T's just made the biggest mistake of his life

-Obligatory Cruiserweight Match-

Shannon Moore d. Evan Karagias

The former 3 count partners put on a pretty good match. Karagias looked weak and blew a few spots as usual but Moore carried him through it and stopped the match falling apart. It was Moore who got the win following a moonsault.

Overall: 64%

Crowd: 52%

Match: 77%

-Dibiase promises to find Goldberg who's been missing a grand total of about 22 hours-

Following the match Pamela Paulshock is waiting to interview WCW Commissioner Ted Dibiase. Pamela looks really hot in her little pink outfit as she asks Dibiase for his thoughts on the Sin Pay Per View......."There's really only one thought that I'm left with after last night and the actions of the Magnificent Seven. That thought is Bill Goldberg. Nobody's seen him since last night when Steiner bundled him in that limo. Now, I have two things to say, two point of business, two missions right now"... Dibiase stops as if he's waiting for a cue from somewhere, eventually Paulshock realises she's supposed to ask him what they are....."Well, first of all the actions of Scott Steiner last night were far from that of a World Champion. That was not the way a representative of this company should be behaving. I have a lot of thinking to do about that situation. The second thing is where is Goldberg? Nobody's seen him since last night and I want to know what's happened to him. You can rest assured that I won't stop until I've found him. You see Pamel........"....Before Dibiase can go any further he is attacked by Don Frye who bursts onto the screen followed quickly by Hulk Hogan. Paulshock runs away as Frye lays out the Commissioner with a solid punch as Hogan laughs over him

73%

-Awesome goes too far in squashomania-

Mike Awesome d. the TrashMaster

This one was fought under hardcore rules. The TrashMaster made his way to the ring with a trashcan over his head. He obviously couldn't see where he was going and really played on it, staggering about like a drunken fool. Once the match began Awesome went to work destroying the plucky young hopeful with a series of vicious clotheslines, suplexes and powerbombs. It was a powerbomb through onto the very trashcan that the TrashMaster was wearing to the ring that earned Awesome the win. After the bell though he didn't seem to want to stop, picking up the TrashMaster and pointing outside of the ring. Awesome got him up and ran across the ring with him launching him over the top rope to the outside with another powerbomb as the TrashMaster took a sickening bump.

Overall: 61%

Crowd: 50%

Match: 73%

-Rhodes makes a stand, briefly-

Mike Awesome d. Dustin Rhodes

Dustin Rhodes interrupted Awesome's assault on the TrashMaster before it could go any further and started an impromptu match. As the two men began to brawl referee Scott Dickinson decided to call for the bell to be rung and we were underway. Rhodes put up more resistance than the TrashMaster but still came up short. This time it was a powerbomb from Awesome on the outside through a table that led to him getting the win, rolling Rhodes back into the ring and hitting the Awesome Splash off the top rope for the 3 count.

Crowd: 69%

Match: 72%

Callis Hahahaha, Mike Awesome is a monster look at the carnage out there Mike Tenay

Tenay I don't think there's any doubting the destructive powers of Mike Awesome. You have to feel glad that Dustin Rhodes interjected himself when he did though or who knows how much more damage could have been done to the TrashMaster

-And now the end is near, Funk did it his way-

After the match WCW Hardcore Champion Terry Funk makes his way out to the ring with the Hardcore title belt. He tells the fans that...."I'm done. I can't do this anymore. I've given you fans everything I've had, everything that's inside my heart. Every time I came out in this ring I laid it all out on the line. I've gone through tables, I've come off ladders, I've wrestled through barbed wire. My body can't take it anymore and I don't have the heart for it. The passion's gone and my time is up. (an emotional Funk pauses briefly as it he's beginning to well up) If I carry on I'm going to kill myself in this ring and maybe I'm just not crazy enough anymore to do that" Funk leaves the ring in a sombre mood with the Hardcore title belt still over his shoulder. The crowd applaud him but it's hardly the standing ovation that the man deserved.

73%

-Has Stacy got her man?-

The camera's cut to swanky wine bar. Stacy Keibler is sat cross legged on a bar stool wearing the tiniest little black dress that really shows off her amazing legs. She seems to have her eye on the barman serving her..."You look far too strong to be working behind that bar, you must work real hard to build up those muscles (Stacy begins to twirl her hair around her finger flirtatiously). The barman responds that he usually works on the door here and in a few of the other clubs but that he was just filling in behind the bar as someone was off sick. "So, it looks pretty quiet around here right now, aren't you going to show me what's going on out the back?". The barman looks up and over towards her, a smile coming over his face as he steps around the bar taking Stacy's hand in his own and leading her through to the back. As he does so she asks his name... "They call me Wolverine" comes the reply.

64%

Callis Ha, that do you think he's going to PULL her a drink? Where do you think he's taking her, round the back? (Callis sniggers seedily)

Rhodes What are you talkin about?

-The Invasion might lost the match but as usuall, they win the war-

Rob Van Dam & The Insiders dq. Don Frye, Satoshi Kojima & Jun Akiyama w/Japanese Hogan

This match proved that the pushes for Frye, Akiyama and Kojima are still not getting them as over as WCW had hoped by now. Perhaps Nash's refusal on a number of occasions to job to them was half the problem. Again we saw an unclean finish as rumours flew that Nash had played his creative control card once again. The match itself wasn't bad, but it wasn't all that special either. Van Dam seemed out of place in there somehow although there was an intense exchange between him and Akiyama as they traded RVD stiff kicks and Akiyama stiff forearms. The match wasn't too old when Japanese Hogan decided he had seen enough and tried to get into the ring with the flag. Referee Randy Anderson stopped him but the flag was passed over to Kojima. Kojima laid out DDP with it but the referee turned in time to see it and disqualified the Invasion. Hogan and his men made their way back up the aisle as Anderson raised the arms of Nash, Page and Van Dam.

Overall: 66%

Crowd: 64%

Match: 69%

-Why didn't they check the door before they started working out?-

After the match the camera goes straight backstage to what looks like a gym. The Natural Born Thrillers are all in there. Palumbo and Stasiak are pushing weights, while Sanders and O'Haire still look bruised and tender from the match last night. Sanders says he's going to grab some ice and leaves the gym closing the door behind him. The camera stays outside the room and after a slight pause shows Rick Steiner and Buff Bagwell sneaking down the corridor. Bagwell peaks in through the glass on the door to see the Thrillers in there and tells Steiner to get the key. Steiner quietly locks the door making as little noise as possible. It appears that they haven't even heard themselves get locked in. Steiner asks Bagwell if they were all in there to which he replies.. "It sure looked like it, hahahahaaa".

68%

Callis Oh Mike Tenay I love it, they've just taken the Natural Born Thrillers out of the equation going into the main event. Ric Flair's the cerebral genius

Rhodes Yeah but Mike Sanders wa'nt in that room and they don't know about it, rightowrong?

-The Dirtiest player in the game's plan had one thing missing-

Booker T d. Ric Flair

Booker got a good reception from the fans as he made his entrance. Flair came out alone and generated a huge ammount of heat. The crowd looked ready to really get into this one. The action in the ring was actually pretty good too. Flair proved that with the right sort of opponent he can still work a decent match. Booker began to take control though and actually looked set to pick up the win after hitting a standing sidekick, following up shortly afterwards with the scissor kick. Flair was looking to the back and looked in trouble when Jeff Jarrett came out from behind the curtain, guitar in hand. A smile came across Flair's face momentarily until he saw Mike Sanders come right out behind Jarrett, spinning him round and hitting a DDT before rushing past the announce table and round the back of the arena. As Flair turned around he walked straight into Booker T who hit the Book End for the win. As the show came to a close Jarrett and Flair looked furious in the aisle as the referee raised Booker's hand.

Overall: 79%

Crowd: 86%

Overall Show Rating: 71%

TV Rating: 5.02

Attendance: 4001

I am enjoying this diary its really an interesting take on wcw in 2001. I love the japanese invasion storyline, I would get the japanese guys over then have the most over one then turn and fued with hogan, have hogan put him over in the blow off and retire hogan or fire him... whatever comes first

Trimming the Fat

"I'm sat in my office looking blankly at this computer screen. I have been for hours. All I see before me is our monthly finances for January. The guys at AOL Time Warner told me that the first month I did not make profit, I was done, and last month I scraped it by next to nothing. I can't afford to let it be this close next month. I have to do something......"

Income

Ticket Sales                       $3676600

Pay Per View Revenue        $2250000

Sponshorship Money           $8687000

Merchandise Sales              $2400000

Total                                 $17013600

Expenditure

Worker Costs                     $8553000

Staff Costs                         $1370000

Production Costs                 $3700000

Merchandise Costs              $2000000

Advertising Costs                $1000000

Total                                  $16623000

Total Profit                         $390600

Edited by jayden

Of course you COULD cut your merchandising by 500,000 or so to help the finances.

Other than that, I'm sure you can find some jobbers you don't need.

Anyway, the diary is going great. Wish I had the commitment you had, maybe then my diaries would go on more than a week ;).

WCW Thunder

Thursday 1st February 2001

With WCW still struggling in the ratings and finding it hard to get close and challenge the WWF right now Thunder this week was expected to have more of a main event feel to it. The main event of Booker T and Rick Steiner may not have been showcasing the top talent in the company but it was seen as a bigger main even than the Thunder audiences had been used to.

-Dibiase's bringing someone for Hogan next week!-

As soon as the credits stopped rolling the camera showed WCW Commissioner Ted Dibiase in the ring addressing the fans in his standard black suit. On a side note, he really does look quite tubby these days.... "Fans welcome and thankyou for joining us for Thunder. It's an honour to have you all out here watching what we do. (Dibiase pauses as the fans applaud). Now, I'll get straight to business. On Monday night you saw Hulk Hogan and his men attack me. Well Hogan, I will not stand for it. I'm in charge around here. I'm the one calling the shots. I could suspend you right now but ya know what, I'm not that kind of guy. On Monday night I'm going to bring someone with me, someone who is going to tear through your Japanese Invasion just like he did to you all those years ago Hogan. I don't care which one of you wrestles him, hell, if you have the balls Hogan it could even be you but he'll be here on Monday night ready for you.

71%

Tenay Fans welcome, I'm Mike Tenay joined once again by Don Callis and the American Dream Dusty Rhodes and Don, after the attack from Hogan and his henchmen on Nitro just who do you think that Dibiase's got coming in next week?

Callis Hah, who cares Mike Tenay. Ted Dibiase can bring in whoever he wants, he doesn't have any power around here. With Japanese Hogan, Ric Flair, even the Natural Born Thrillers, it's quite obvious that Ted Dibiase has lost control

DibiaseYeah really, ya gotta question the authority that Dibiase has shown us awlll since he came in here. Next week might just be the answer to all his critics if ya know what ahm talking about!

-The TrashMaster gets his first win and doesn't he look happy-

TrashMaster d. Disco Inferno

After getting killed by Mike Awesome on Nitro the crowd seemed to have warmed to the plucky underdog Trash. They gave him a small pop as he made his way to the ring wearing another trashcan. This time he'd had the sense to carve eyeholes in it so he could see out. Disco managed to carry the newcomer through a pretty reasonable match and it was Trash who picked up the win running across the ring, leaping into the air and hitting a flying headbutt that knocked Disco off his feet for the pin. After the bell Trash put on his trash can and ran around the ring celebrating.

Overall: 63%

Crowd: 53%

Match: 73%

-Johnny the Bull wants the Funker-

As Trash makes his way backstage he is passed by Johnny the Bull who comes out to the ring with a microphone wearing his usual jeans and hat..."Terry Funk, get yo ass out here in this ring RIGHT NOW! You think that you can just walk away from WCW and the Hardcore title? You aint leavin until you've taken on the Bull. Get out here Funk, are you a coward?..(JTB paces back and forth around the ring but there is no grand entrance from the Funker)...Terry Funk you scrawny little coward get yo ass out here and wrestle me if you got the balls Terry. TERRY?..(still there is nothing and eventually JTB chucks down the microphone and leaves the ring)"

72%

Callis See, I knew it, I always knew Terry Funk was a coward!

Rhodes Let me just say this, mah lips are sealed!

-Kronik steal one over the Thrillers-

Bryan Clarke d. Mark Jindrak

The crowd seemed pretty into this match. Perhaps it was just the associated response they gave Jindrak for being a Thriller. The match itself wasn't too bad either as both men put on a pretty good brawl. Clarke reminded us that he's pretty quick for such a big guy but Jindrak began to look like he would win it after hitting a nice superkick. Brian Adams came out from the back though and caused the distraction as Jindrak turned his attention away from his opponent. As he did so Clarke hit him from behind with a double axe handle before getting him up for the Meltdown for the win. After the bell Sean O'Haire ran to the ring, as Kronik slipped away victorious.

Overall: 67%

Crowd: 70%

Match: 63%

-Stacy can't get enough of her Wolverine-

The camera cuts to a jacuzzi, they never bother to explain exactly where this jacuzzit is. Stacy Keibler and her Wolverine are in it. Most of their bodies are under the water as they sip champagne but Keibler appears to have on a red bikini. She giggles and reaches under the water, and when her hand comes back up it's holding her bikini bottoms which she has presumably just taken off. A smile fills Wolverine's face as he puts his glass of champagne on the side of the jacuzzi as Keibler does the same, tossing her bikini bottoms away to the side. They skilfully land on the camera, blacking out the picture completely as all we can hear is Keibler's giggling turning into a soft moan

68%

Callis My God, I love it. Quick, somebody get that camera working. Dammit, hehe, Anybody else hot around here, I, I, somebody do something and get that camera working!

Rhodes Ya soundin a little tongue tied right there Callis

Callis Hah, I'd much rather have my tongue tied in what Wolverine does right now hahaha

-Are cowboys better than Kanyon's? Hell no!-

Chris Kanyon d. Cowboy Lance Cade

The fans didn't get into this match much at all. Cade put in a reasonable performance but there was only ever going to be one winner and that was Chris Kanyon. He actually won it as Cade went for a cross body block off the top rope which Kanyon managed to roll over and turn into his pin for the victory.

Overall: 62%

Match: 72%

-Damn that Nature Boy, he's such a sneak-

Backstage Mike Sanders is shown entering the arena with a bag over his shoulder. A random member of WCW staff runs over to him out of breath and insists that Sanders needs to go out through the cafeteria. He says that the Thrillers are in trouble. Sanders drops his bag and runs through the corridor and through the door to the cafeteria but the room is empty. As he turns around to find out what's going on he's blindsided by a swift punch to the jaw from Ric Flair. Flair tosses him over one of the tables in the cafeteria before thumping him with elbows and chops until he rolls off the table onto the floor where Flair proceeds to kick him in. Flair gives him a big "WHOOOOH" before leaving him down and beaten up

89%

-Dibiase's on the World's Greatest Chatshow, again?-

As usual the cheap graphic comes across the screen and we're treated to another edition of the World's Greatest chatshow. The Cat introduces James Brown as Miss Jones brings out Ted Dibiase. The Cat seems unhappy that it's not James Brown but before Dibiase even gets to sit down Don Frye comes running onto the set. He grabs Dibiase up from behind and drags him off the set leaving the Cat and Miss Jones stood there unsure of what to do next....."Err, hell, that's the World's Greatest Chatshow, I'm talkin ratings baby!"

63%

Tenay What in the world? Where has the Predator just taken WCW's Commissioner?

Rhodes I tell ya Iron Mike, that's the work of Japanese Hogan, they's bad intentions going on in that devilish mind

-A returning Canadian ruins the celebration-

WCW United States Title: Rob Van Dam d. General Rection

With the United States title on the line this looked set to be one of the best matches on the card. It ended up being a bit of a disappointment. Rection's knees have been deteriorating consistently over the past months and losing this one was perhaps the cue for the much needed break from the ring. The action swung back and forth but the fans never really knew who to cheer for as both men were large fan favourites. After a few near falls it was Van Dam who came out on top. He reversed an attempt by Rection at a german suplex into a kick that set him up for the Five Star Frog Splash. With the match won Van Dam was presented with the United States title belt but as soon as he raised it above his head Lance Storm came charging out from the back and slid into the ring, backing RVD up and hitting him with a spinning kick to the face that knocked him down to the mat cold. Storm picked up the US title belt before tossing it back down onto Van Dam having made quite an impact in his return to WCW.

Crowd: 61%

Match: 63%

-Booker has one thing on his mind, the World Title-

Pamela Paulshock managed to grab a word with Booker T before he stepped out towards the ring for his match with Rick Steiner. She asked him about his win over Ric Flair on Monday night but Booker only had one thing on his mind...."Hahahahaha, ya know what Pammy, yeah Booker T beat the Nature Boy Ric Flair on Monday night but the bottom line is that after I beat Rick Steiner tonight I'm gonna be in line for a World Title match. You know, Scott Steiner, number one playa hater running around in the back, he can't duck me forever and it aint gonna be long before I get my shot. I just gotta keep going out there and getting the job done...... Steiner's, Don't hate the playa, Hate the Game

87%

-Booker's standing tall at Thunder's conclusion-

Booker T d. Rick Steiner

Booker got a great reception from the fans, which was lucky because the action in the ring was poor. Rick Steiner didn't seem to want to sell and Booker looked like his mind was elsewhere. Perhaps on a move to the WWF on this evidence. The match really just consisted of Steiner punching a lot, and the occasional move from Booker T. In one of the worst main events that we'd seen on WCW television in a long time Booker came out with the win, eventually hitting the Book End for the 3 count. After the bell Scott Steiner came out from the back and ran to the ring but as he slid into the ring Booker was ready for him. Booker blocked Steiner's punches and backed him up against the ropes before hitting a Harlem Sidekick that sent Scott Steiner over the top rope to the outside. Steiner regained himself on the outside and the two men stared down as the show ended.

Match: 47%

Overall Show Rating: 69%

TV Rating: 4.59

Attendance: 4046

• 2 weeks later...

WCW Nitro

Monday 5th February 2001

Going into Nitro this week the main event had a lot of fans excited. Rob Van Dam & Booker T taking on Mike Awesome & Lance Storm was expected to be red hot. The performance of RVD and Booker T has not been great over recent weeks so this was a real chance for them to redeem themselves. Elsewhere on the show the mystery opponent for the Japanese Invasion had been talked about all week. With a number of big WCW names, and names from Hogan's past linked the fans were certainly looking forward to that too.

-The Thillers have entered the building-

As the show goes no the air the camera shows a beachcomber like topless dunebuggy pull up to the front of the arena. Mike Sanders is driving it as the other members of the Thrillers are sitting in the back and hanging out of the sides. They get out and enter the building with a purposeful look on their faces

90%

Tenay That's right, you can see it there, the Natural Born Thrillers are in the building and they look ready for action. I'm Mike Tenay, joined once again by my broadcast colleagues Don Callis and the American Dream Dusty Rhodes, and Dusty the whole world's been talking about it all week. Who does Commissioner Dibiase have lined up for Hogan tonight, and where in the world did they take him on Thursday night?

Rhodes Ya know Mike, really, this situation got us all on tenderhooks right here. Nobody's seen Dibiase since Thursday night and really, we gotta be wondrin what condition he's in and just how much control he really has right now. The bottom line is this, without Dibiase will the mystery opponent even be here tonight?

Callis I loved seeing that lightweight Commissioner squirming and wriggling in the Predator's grasp on thursday night. Who cares who Dibiase had lined up for Hogan tonight, I don't think there's anyone in this business right now that could step up to the plate and go through that Japanese Invasion.

-Crowbar gets Nasty-

Crowbar w/Daffney d. Brian Knobbs

Fairly reasonable opener from these two. Crowbar had all the talent and Knobbs had all the, well, all, well, all the nastiness? Crowbar got the win as he hit the Mindbender for the 3 count.

Overall: 57%

Match: 62%

Tenay An impressive win for Crowbar no doubt about it. Wait a minute, that's Shane Douglas, what's he doing out here? This isn't in the format

Rhodes I don't know but it looks like he's comin over here Iron Mike

-An angry Franchise vents his frustration-

Shane Douglas makes his way to ringside, without any entrance music. He walks over to the announce desk and pulls up a chair, asking for a mic. Tenay asks him what he's doing out here as Douglas replies.... "Ya know what Mike Tenay, I'll talk about why I'm out here but frankly, I don't even know why I'm in this stinking company in the first place. While the likes of Crowbar and Brian Knobbs are getting on TV the Franchise is stuck in the back. For years I've been held down by the politics in this business. I've been pushed to the back of the queue by the Hulk Hogan's, the Ric Flair's, the Kevin Nash's and I'm sick of it. Mike, I sat in the back thinking back over my career and where it could have taken me if I'd just played their little game but ya know what? The franchise never wanted to suck his way to the top so instead of kissing asses I've been busting them. I sat in the back wondering whether I was done, whether I should walk away and be done with all the crap but I thought to myself, no Shane Douglas, you're better than that. So if they won't give me a match, if they won't push me, around here than I'm gonna start taking things into my own hands.".. The Franchise notices that Dusty isn't looking at him while he speaks and seems to be muttering something under his breath...."Hey Rhodes, you got a problem?"....Dusty replies.... "Problem? Oh no Shane, it's just that ya see, we's all heard this a hundred times before. You ever thought that maybe you just couldn't cut it and run with the big boys?"....Douglas stands up and throws down his microphone taking off his t shirt but Dusty refuses to get up to meet him, staying seated and looking straight into Douglas eyes until WCW security usher the Franchise backstage.

76%

-The Natural Born Thrillers stand united but take another heavy loss-

Animal & Rick Steiner d. Chuck Palumbo & Shawn Stasiak

None of the other stable members were at ringside for this one as the Natural Born Thrillers and the Magnificent Seven clashed once again. It proved to be quite a good match by all accounts with both teams working really hard. The crowd got right into it too, probably largely because of the associated heat from the Seven, Thrillers feud. During the match they kept cutting to a shot of Ric Flair and the other Seven members watching the match on a monitor. With the Thriller team looking to be taking control of the match they showed a shot of an enraged Flair leaving the room backstage and storming away from the monitor. When they got back to the ring Flair was on his way out to ringside and it was his distraction that allowed Animal to catch Chuck Palumbo with a big powerbomb for the win. After the bell Mike Sanders came out from the back to try and get to Flair but Flair and his stooges retreated up the aisle as Sanders, Palumbo and Stasiak stood in the ring.

Overall: 72%

Crowd: 74%

Match: 68%

-Johnny the Bull's not going anywhere til he gets the Funker-

Following the match Larry Zbysko came out to the ring. He addressed the fans and began to talk about the WCW Championship Committee (which Tenay said on announce that he is a part of) and the unknown whereabouts of Ted Dibiase. Before he could get any further Johnny the Bull came out from the back and got into the ring in front of Zbysko. Zbysko refused to back down and it looked as if JTB was about to leave when he turned around and laid Zbysko out with a punch before hitting an elbowdrop on him..... "Terry Funk, TERRY FUNK, get yo pathetic little ass out here or Zbysko's blood will be on your hands Terry"...... JTB picked Zbysko up and hit him with a spinebuster........"What's the matter Funk, yo yellow or something?"...... JTB rolled to the outside and grabbed a steel chair before coming back into the ring. He drove it down across Zbysko's mid section twice...."Funk you no good piece of crap, you aint just walking away from this. Funk you have something that belongs to me and I WANT IT. You can't just leave, I'm going to retire you myself. FUUUUNK, FUUUUUUNK, FUUUUUUUNK!"..... JTB crashes the chair down across Zbysko's head this time before throwing it down and leaving Zbysko down in the ring.

77%

Tenay Fans there are now two ways about it, as we look on at the disturbing scenes of the EMT's attending to the Living Legend Larry Zbysko. Dusty, I know Johnny the Bull's trying to prove a point but he's gone too far.

Rhodes Everybody knows my feelin's on Terry Funk but ya know Larry Zbysko was an innocent bystander in this sityooayshun. Terry Funk could stop this though. Look at it ths way Iron Mike, if that's what he did out theyar tonight then ahm tellin ya, think about what he can do down the line.

-The Thrillers don't need any more problems right now-

Sean O'Haire d. Brian Adams w/Bryan Clarke

O'Haire came out for this match alone, further indication that he may be due for a singles push sometime soon. The two men put on a pretty good brawl that the crowd began to get into. O'Haire came close to putting Adams away early after a massive short arm lariat. One thing this match also proved was that O'Haire was maturing into someone who could carry even the most average of workers to a decent match. Adams looked to be in trouble as O'Haire hit him with the Cruel Intentions but Bryan Clarke jumped up onto the apron to drag O'Haire's attention away. O'Haire and Clarke began to shout at each other as Adams dragged himself up off the floor. He charged at O'Haire but as the Thriller ducked out of the way Adams ran straight into Clarke, knocking him from the apron. O'Haire rolled the stunned Adams up from behind for the win. As the bell rang Clarke got back into the ring. Kronik began to pound on O'Haire untli Mark Jindrak came charging out from the back. Jindrak took on both members of Kronik briefly but they managed to overpower him and toss him out over the top rope before turning their attention back to O'Haire. Kronik laid him out with the High Time before leaving the ring with both Thrillers down.

Overall: 69%

Callis The Natural Born Thrillers aren't having the best of night's Mike Tenay. Ric Flair's Magnificent Seven, and now Kronik getting the better of them they're in trouble.

Tenay That may be true Don, but don't forget it was Sean O'Haire that won the match, even if he didn't win the war.

-Dibiase might not be here, but his mystery opponent is-

Japanese Hogan comes out onto the stage with Don Frye, Jun Akiyama and Satoshi Kojima behind him. Hogan has on his japanese bandana and a t-shirt with a characature of Ted Dibiase on the front, encircled with a line through it. Hogan grabbed a mic as Kojima waved the Japanese flag about to a pretty reasonable ammount of heat... "What you fans need to realise is that you're looking at the most dominant force in World Championship Wrestling right now. If you American trash will shut your stinking mouths for a second I will show you exactly why".... Hogan turns and points up at the videotron. It comes to life showing what looks like a live link to a fairly plain and indistinct room where a man sits on a chair in the corner. He's tied to it and wriggling to try and get free. He has duct tape over his mouth as the camera gets closer to show that it's Commissioner Dibiase....."Hahahaa, ya see that's what Japanese Hogan and the Invasion do to people that try and get in their way. With the Triad behind me there's nobody that can stop me right now. Not Dibiase, not the Insiders, and not ev........

81%

Hogan is interrupted as the light's go off..."What the? what the hell's going on here".... A flash of lightning and the sound of thunder blasts through the arena as Hogan flinches and looks up to the sky. The sounds of Metallica blare through the arena and a man in a dark trenchcoat holding a baseball bat is lowered down to the ring on a cord. It's quite clear that it's Sting. Hogan goes wild as Sting unhooks himself from the cord and simply stands emotionless in the centre of the ring, pointing his baseball bat out to Hogan. Hogan looks worried as he responds... "What the hell are you doing here? So you're Dibiase's mystery opponent well ya know what Sting? You're going to regret this brutha, you've got your match and it doesn't matter which of us it is because any one of these guys can beat you. Mr Akiyama, get in that ring and beat the scary man to death dude

70%

Sting d. Jun Akiyama

Akiyama ran to the ring and slid under the bottom rope. Hogan, Frye and Kojima stayed on the stage and watched from afar. The crowd popped pretty big for Sting as he drove Akiyama out of the ring and began to take him apart on the outside. Sting dominated the match early on and looked impressive on his return. The crowd seemed to be getting more into the heel threat of Akiyama and the Invasion though and once Akiyama began to grind Sting down with a series of suplexes and submission moves they began to really get behind the Stinger. Sting mounted a comeback and hit the Stinger Splash. Hogan sent Kojima down to the ring but Sting saw him coming and slid out to meet him. Kojima tried to grab Sting for the Kojima Cutter but as he did Sting shoved him off and hit the Scorpion Death Drop. Hogan sent Frye down to get Sting too but Sting was once again ready to meet him, blocking a series of punches before sending Frye into the guardrail at ringside and hitting a Stinger splash on him on the outside. Sting grabbed the baseball bat and once again pointed it to Hogan who looked scared to death. Sting turned and slid back into the ring but walked straight into a t bone suplex from Akiyama. The Japanese superstar went for the cover but only got the two count. He tried to take Sting over with a vertical suplex but Sting blocked it, landing on the other side in position for the Scorpion Death Drop. He hit it and got the 3 count as Frye and Kojima were getting up on the outside. Seeing the numbres were against him Sting left the ring and went out through the crowd.

Overall: 69%

Crowd: 69%

Match: 70%

Rhodes STING, Sting's taking apart the Invasion Iron Mike. I gotta say Sting looked like the man of old, the silent assassin if you wheel. We've seen him tear through one of Hogan's army's before Callis and it looks like it'll happen again, rightowrong? Am I rightowrong?

Callis Hah, Sting got lucky out there, Hogan never had time to prepare for the opponent Dusty Rhodes. Trust me when I say that if one man knows how to beat Sting, after everything those men have been through it's Japanese Hogan.

-Stacy loves her big strong Wolverine-

The camera cuts to a shot of a rather lavish, yet empty hotel room. The Wolverine opens the hotel room door just wearing his trousers and no top, showing his big strong hairy chested physique. He looks around confused as he calls out... "Stacy, where are you I've been........."....He stops in his tracks as Stacy steps out from the bathroom in a matching set of pink bra and panties, and a pair of white stockings..."why don't you hurry up and get in here, I thought we could take a shower"....Stacy remarks before grabbing him by the hand and leading him into the bathroom. As the bathroom door closes Stacy is heard giggling as the Wolverine lets out a hefty groan.

65%

-Is Booker T World Championship Material?-

Booker T & Rob Van Dam d. Mike Awesome & Lance Storm w/Major Gunns

This was certainly the best match of the night. The atmosphere was pretty good without being anything too intense and the action inside the ring was good enough. RVD and Booker T both still looked like they were underperforming. There has been a lot of speculation that these two aren't happy in WCW right now but they did enough in this one to make the match believable. The action swung back and forth with both teams coming close to getting the win on numerous occasions. There were two points that were pushed by the announce team throughout this match. Firstly, Rob Van Dam and Lance Storm over the United States title. They insisted that Storm made is perfectly clear about his intentions the night RVD won the belt. They also pushed the question of whether Booker T deserves a shot at Scott Steiner for the World Title. It was Booker T & Van Dam who came out on top in the end with Booker eventually hitting the Book End on Mike Awesome, while RVD and Storm battled on the outside.

Overall: 74%

Match: 76%

Tenay Wait a minute, I, I'm getting word from the back. Yes? Whoah, I'm getting word right now that the Cat has acquired some special footage from Sin and this Thursday night on Thunder he's going to show the world just what happened to Goldberg after the pay per view went off the air

Overall Show Rating: 72%

TV Rating: 5.07

Attendance: 4013

Edited by jayden

I've had it up to HERE!!!!!!!!

I sit in my office, where it seems all the interesting conversations and meeting in my life seem to happen. I've asked Nash to be here and yet again he's late. If what I've heard is true then that's it, I've had enough. I don't care about......... Ahh, that'll be him now

Me: Kevin take a seat, I've heard some pretty nasty rumours around here over the past couple of days and I want to know what the truth is

Nash: Rumours? Like what Lambrini?

Me: Like that you and the boys had agreed to change the ending of the match on Thunder tonight.

Nash: Oh that little rumour, well ya know I'm not so sure I should be jobbing in this match so I've had a word with the Kronik boys and they seem happy to be getting beat by me and Dallas so it looks like that's how it's going down. Patrick's been made aware too so it's all sorted

Me: Who the hell do you think you are? I run this show, Nash I'm sick of this, I'm sick of you. You've been told how this match is going to end tonight, you're dropping the belts. Look, it aint gonna be clean Kev, I've agreed there will be outside interference but so help me God, if you guys screw around with the finish I'm holding you personally responsible.

Nash: whoah there Jimmy boy, ok maybe you're right. No need to start throwing your weight around. I'll do the job, just for you little man, this once but just remember that I don't have to do it. Why don't you take a look through my contract again, and err, next time, we'll do things my way

With that Nash got up and left the room laughing his way out of the door. I didn't trust him one bit and I still thought he'd be changing the end to this match. Perhaps it's him that should look through his contract though because he'll see that any attempt to change any on screen activities without discussing them with the creative team first makes that very clause null and void. Hell, he goes out there tonight and they don't lose those belts it's bye bye creative control. Teach that jumped up egomaniac to try and mess with Jimmy Lambrini

• 1 year later...