Your Musical Guilty Pleasures?

MalaCloudy Black

What are your musical guilty pleasures, things you listen to that you would scarcely admit to anyone?

For me it's:

Bowling For Soup - 1985. I quite like the music video.

Yellowcard - Ocean Avenue. it's just catchy :P

Muse - Time Is Running Out. :blush: I know I've berated Muse and I still stand by my claims that they are overrated and not nearly as talented as they're made out to be, but "Time Is Running Out" is another one of those catchier songs with a neat video.

The Killers - Somebody Told Me. Again, this is one of those catchy pop-rock "Indie" bands that I dislike :blush: but I've found this song running through my head often after watching the video.

RATM - Guerrilla Radio. I've never quite taken a shining to Rage and it's for a reason, because I don't like De Le Rocha's rapping vocals but surprisingly enough, when I first saw the video for this song a few days ago I quite liked it :thumbsup:

'Carnage' The Ataris

So fucking emo, but I like it.

'Sunshine' Twista

Hip-pop. But Twista canrapfastlikethisandhasnospaces so that's cool. It's also a great summer song.

'Wannabe Gangster [album verison]' Wheatus

Sure, their singles sucked, but this song KICKED ASS HARD. Fortunately the version they released as a single was the worst thing on earth, so me liking it never became an issue.

'Minor Details' Adequate 7

Funk-punk with annoying vague political lyrics, but the rapping parts are way cool and it's funky as shit. It also has the lyric 'As I speak words and verbs'. Lyrics aren't too bad actually (I'm listening to it now). Well, actually, they're not great. I should probably wait until the song is over to make these conclusions. The instrumental bit in the middle is pretty subpar.

'Boss Hoss' by The Sonics

Lyrics: "Just bought myself a new set of wheels, my folks had me spring the deal. Believe me buddy, I'm no fool. I got the money working after school. It's the movingest car and I'm never lost (?!) 'cause it's a real Boss Hoss. It's a real Boss Hoss. Real Boss Hoss. It's painted a turn-on red, girls see it and it knocks 'em dead. I get around just everywhere, people stop and say 'lookee there' (?!?!?!?!). I get all the honeys and I'm never lost (?!) 'cause it's a real Boss Hoss. It's a real Boss Hoss. Real Boss Hoss. Woah! It really moves, and everybody's losing. It has never lost, woah yeah, woah yeah, because it's a real Boss Hoss (repeat from Woah!) Everybody is a-jealous of me, one look and you can see, with this car this car I never lose, don't you ever try to chose. It's a moving car, and I'm never lost, 'cause it's a real Boss Hoss. Real Boss Hoss. Woah! It's a real Boss Hoss. Real Boss Hoss". But it was the fifties, so hey.

Smashing Pumpkins - I used to be a huge fan when I was younger, but now I rarely bring them up. Billy Corgan's vocals kind of push me away.

Blondie - What can I say? I have a soft spot for Debbie Harry and her group.

Duran Duran - The album "Rio" isn't half bad, I've been caught listening to it before.

G.G. Allin - One of the sickest, most vile men in all of rock history. When he was backed by the Jabbers and Scumfucks, he produced some great rock tunes.

I also like alot of 50s rockabilly, surf, do wop, etc. but I don't know if that's really a guilty pleasure.

'Boss Hoss' by The Sonics

Lyrics: "Just bought myself a new set of wheels, my folks had me spring the deal. Believe me buddy, I'm no fool. I got the money working after school. It's the movingest car and I'm never lost (?!) 'cause it's a real Boss Hoss. It's a real Boss Hoss. Real Boss Hoss. It's painted a turn-on red, girls see it and it knocks 'em dead. I get around just everywhere, people stop and say 'lookee there' (?!?!?!?!). I get all the honeys and I'm never lost (?!) 'cause it's a real Boss Hoss. It's a real Boss Hoss. Real Boss Hoss. Woah! It really moves, and everybody's losing. It has never lost, woah yeah, woah yeah, because it's a real Boss Hoss (repeat from Woah!) Everybody is a-jealous of me, one look and you can see, with this car this car I never lose, don't you ever try to chose. It's a moving car, and I'm never lost, 'cause it's a real Boss Hoss. Real Boss Hoss. Woah! It's a real Boss Hoss. Real Boss Hoss". But it was the fifties, so hey.

This is a great song, the album Here are the Sonics has so many gems on it. The Sonics were actually a Kingsmen influenced 60s garage rock group out of Seattle. Although, there apparently was actually a Sonics of the 1950s, but not the same as the Boss Hoss performers.

Edited by VerbalPuke

A lot of people think I only listen to rap. That's wrong.

We have a radio station out here in Conn. which bills itself as soft but contemporary. So it's not all dreary as hell, but it's not top 40 hits and garbage pop. If it didn't play Celine Dion and Sheryl Crow every 15 minutes, it'd be better. (In other words, more upbeat adult contemporary)

Adult contemporary + a Christian/worship theme is also pretty good. Depending on who does it. Third Day is sort of rock-ish, but they're good. I'd like to get into Christian rap some more - good stuff, not Eminem songs covered to Christian lyrics.

I listen to a lot of 80s hits.

So there you have it. Christian stuff and "harder" soft rock.