The American Wrestling Association 1986

ChuBalso

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or ya know....you could do it your way.  Though one thing you MUST do is push steven regal....or i'll be sending the hamster mafia after you.

If I am not mistaken, it's a totally different guy than the current William Regal.

Edited by Javert

A.W.A SUPERCARD - NIGHT OF CHAMPIONS

DAY 2!

To Crown A New A.W.A. Champion

AWA HEAVYWEIGHT  TITLE TOURNAMENT FINAL!

user posted imageuser posted image

-

Chicago Street Fight

user posted imageuser posted image

MASKED SUPERSTAR  – VS. – BAD NEWS ALLEN

-

AWA Tournament Semi-Finals!

KERRY VON ERICH VS. LARRY ZBYSCO

-

GREG GAGNE VS. CURT HENNIG

-

Plus! A Mixed Six Person Tag Match!

MADUSA MICELLI & BAD COMPANY

VS.

CANDI DEVINE & THE TEXAS HANGMEN

KEN PATERA

VS.

‘OUTLAW’ RON BASS

Live, from

Illonois State University, in Chicago, Illinois

Bell Time - 8pm

On Pay Per View!

DAY 2!

AWA HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE TOURNAMENT FINAL!

Curt Hennig

Chicago Street Fight

MASKED SUPERSTAR – VS. – BAD NEWS ALLEN

VS.

KEN PATERA

VS.

‘OUTLAW’ RON BASS

Looks like another night of solid action.

Guest Da-One-Da-Franchise

DAY 2!

Curt Hennig

Chicago Street Fight

VS.

KEN PATERA

VS.

‘OUTLAW’ RON BASS

DAY 2!

Curt Hennig

Chicago Street Fight

VS.

KEN PATERA

VS.

‘OUTLAW’ RON BASS

DAY 2!

Kerry Von Erich over Gagne

Chicago Street Fight

VS.

KEN PATERA

VS.

OUTLAW’ RON BASS

Thanks for the awesome early interest and quick predictions. View count is amazing. As I promised in my '92 diary when I started it, this diary aims to present the AWA in a totally realistic manner, but without sacrificing imagination & innovation.

No update this weekend, as I had originall planned. As I do every now and again, I wrote up the whole show, and didn't save it properly (downloaded my partial show from email etc. etc. blah blah), which means it's unrecoverable.

I'm just about 50% done and should have the show up by tommorow. Most of you know my writing style already...but in case you don't...to sqaush silly expectations, my method is this; Shorter TV shows written in the style of Dave Meltzer/Dirtsheet. Longer speciality shows (or in this case '86--house shows and TV specials), and rediculously detailed 'big' shows (PPV). These first two shows are a mix of 1 and 2...a bit shorter than I would for a regular show, because I want to get this diary fired up already. As expected, I have some...er...shall we say, 'interesting' plans for the AWA.

As another dynamic to the diary, I often have a backstage story within the regular storylines going on. We haven't gotten far enough for much of that yet.

With that said I'll be doing a show every other day, excluding weekends. Either I'll do a blitz of shows, or no shows in any given weekend. Depending on my schedule. The same can be said for week-day shows. If a show is up on Monday, but not Wednesday...two may pop up on Thursday. Or two on Tuesday, etc. My point is that (like my other diaries) expect regular updates, with the occasional gap, and equally as occasional blitz of (TV/House) shows.

As always, I'm open to any ideas. With that said, any preferances on who we want to see pushed? And of course, keep the predictions coming.

Day #2 up tommorow. An AWA Champion will be crowned.

Edited by Javert

.W.A SUPERCARD - NIGHT OF CHAMPIONS

DAY 2!

Curt Hennig

Chicago Street Fight

Bad News

Von Erich

Hennig

VS.

Madusa & Bad Company

KEN PATERA

VS.

‘OUTLAW’ RON BASS

Patera

GREG GAGNE~! Go for the realism Javert, go for the Realism ;)

Chicago Street Fight

VS.

KEN PATERA

VS.

‘OUTLAW’ RON BASS

The Major League Of Professional Wrestling Presents

The Night Of Champions Day 2

Network: PPV

June 6rd, 1986

TV Announcers : Larry Nelson, Lee Marshall, & Verne Gagne

Referees: Al DeRusha, George Eakin, Mike Enos, Wilf Caron, Scott LeDoux, Nick Patrick

-by Dave Schmeltzer

user posted image

Larry Nelson opened up Day #2, much in the same fashion that Day #1 began. He and Lee Marshall recapped the happenings from just a few nights ago.

Neslon: “ You talk about, what a great show last week – with the surprise of The Guiding Light Lou Albano, appearing in Texas, with The Bigelows!

Marshall: “ Yea, that’s right Larry. The Bigelows [*Crowd Boos*] who go by the name of the Big Bad Bulls [*Crowd booes again*] – these guys are just about the biggest men I’ve ever seen together on one team! They easily double the weight of the Midnight Rockers, whom they attacked just a few days ago!

Neslon: “ Well, we wish the Midnight Rockers the best of luck, they are currently in the hospital, we will have an update on their condition next week on ESPN. But this is what everyone’s talking about; The AWA World Heavyweight Title tournament! Stan Hansen, former AWA Champion…he was stripped of the title earlier this year. That’s what’s brought all of these wrestlers from all over the world, here, to Chicago, Illinois [*crowd cheers*], to compete in a two day tournament, for that title!

Marshall: “ That’s right! The list of top wrestlers from around the world, Sgt. Slaughter, Nick Bockwinkle, Greg Gagne, The Modern Day Warrior Kerry Von Erich -- but only 4 remain.

Neslon: “ That’s right! You’ve got Larry Zbysco [*Crowd cheers*], Greg Gagne, [*Crowd cheers*] Curt Hennig [*Crowd booes*], & Kerry Von Erich! [*Crowd cheers*]. One of those four men will be crowd AWA Champion tonight, and I—and I know you agree with me, Lee -- I think it’s gonna be Larry Zbysco! [*Crowd booes*]

Marshall: “ Well, yea. I can’t disagree with you on this one - Zbysco’s the most experienced wrestler in there *[Crowd booes*] So I think it’s gonna be his experience that leads Larry Zbysco to the top! [*Crowd booes*]

Neslon: “ [*Laughing*] Don’t keep saying that or we’re never gonna get out of here alive! Well…I’ll let you get to the table for the play by play, I’m gonna head to the back…let’s go to our ring announcers, for the start of AWA’s Night Of The Champions – Day 2! Gary Michael Cappetta!

user posted image

1. Ken Patera d. Ron Bass in 8:52

Mashall & Stevens pushed the AWA Title Tournament during most of this match hyping the Von Erich – Zbysco match (and, to a lesser extent, the Gagne vs. Curt Hennig tournament match). Match really dragged on since Bass kept retreating to the outside almost every time Patera landed a move. Patera locked on the full nelson at 8:52, for the victory. DUD

Ken Patera d. Ron Bass

Overall: 41

Crowd: 37

Match: 45

Ron Bass didn't really sell very much, which hurt the match rating.

After the match, they went to the back, where Curt Hennig was standing by with, Curt Hennig and Scott Hall. Nelson noted that Hall had been big help in getting Hennig past round 1 in the AWA Title Tournament. Hennig, of course, denied it, saying that Hall was there, only for ‘moral support’.

Hennig: “ We are a tag team, Nelson! We are the AWA Tag Team Champions…and like all tag team champions, we travel together! If Greg Gagne, or anyone else has a problem with that, well I – [*looks at Hall*] No, no – WE have news for them - too bad! You’re looking at the next AWA World Champion!

Following Hennig’s interview, they showed highlights from Day 1, narrated by Marshall, then returned to Nelson where he was standing by with Greg Gagne. Gagne did a good job in getting over that he was ‘pumped’ for this match.

Gagne: “ Well you know what, Larry – I ain’t afraid of Hennig, and I sure as well don’t care about Hall, outsida’ that ring! Cos’ ya see, you can always try to break the rules, but good will always prevail! Just look at one happened just a few days ago, in Texas! Bad News Allen, my opponent last week, couldn’t keep me down! He couldn’t pin my shoulders to the mat! So what did he do? He yanked me over the top rope – and you can’t do that in professional wrestling! So, tonight…Hennig, do you what you think you need to do…because whatever it is, ain’t gonna be enough to knock me out of the tournament! It is my destiny to win that title! See you in the ring, Hennig!

- Hall’s Help -

2. Curt Hennig d. Greg Gagne in 13:07, via count out, of a round 2 AWA Heavyweight Title Tournament match.

They began this match with a lot of stalling. Gagne kept pointing to Hall, as he taunted him from the outside. Marshall & Stevens did a great job of pushing Hall as being a factor in this tournament for Hennig. Hall often distracted the ref allowing Hennig to get numerous blatant choke holds. This pretty much was the tale of the match, with Hall being the common denominator, taunting Gagne almost every time he got offense. Stevens went into a long tirade about how Gagne needs to concentrate on the match, and not Hall. Finals of the match came at around 8:22, when Gagne had the sleeper locked onto Hennig. Hennig was out cold, when Hall hopped on the apron and started arguing with Al DaRusha. After a considerable amount of time, Gagne dropped Hennig and ran over to Hall knocking him off of the apron, popping the crowd. Gagne went to outside, and through Hall into the guard rail, as Marshall yelled, “ He should be concentrating on Hennig! Hennig is getting time to recover! He’s waisting time! He could be counted out!” Gagne rolled into the ring, just a second too late, loosing the match by count out. **

Overall: 68

Crowd: 71

Match: 62

After the match, Hennig quickly ducked out of the ring, and escaped to the back with Hall. Marshall, quickly interviewed Gagne, who was heated, right outside the ring.

Gagne: “ You saw that, Marshall! All of these people saw it! Curt – he stole one, just like he stole the win last week! Hennig! You can be sure, that this is not over! I will go up to the highest power to get this fixed! It ain’t right, Lee! It just ain’t! I will not give up! I will win that AWA World Championship Belt, even if it’s the last thing I do!” Oh goodie. Looks like Gagne’s in for a push, now. Just great. Marshall turned it over to Larry Nelson, who was backstage with Hennig.

Nelson: “ Hennig…I cannot believe you! Again --

Hennig: “ Wait a minute! Now, hold on a minute, Nelson! Don’t you start with that again! You saw it, I saw it, all of those people saw it! Greg Gagne attacked Scott Hall! He willingly left the ring, and attacked my tag team partner! So it’s his fault for going out there, and attacking Hall! He deserves to be counted out!

Hall: “ That’s right, Gagne! You really wanna fight me that bad? You reeeaaaallllyy wanna get your hands on me, huh? Well, I ain’t too hard to find! How about you and me…next week on ESPN! That way, we can fight in the rign, where I can pin your shoulders to the mat…1,2,3!

Hennig: “ That AWA title is MINE! I don’t care if I’m facing Larry Zbysco OR The Modern Day Warrior Kerry Von Erich…whoever it is, is going down!

Neslon: “ Back to you Larry!

3. Buck Zum Hoff d. Jim Bennett in 8:44

Can’t say much about this match. Crowd didn’t care for either wrestler, much. Marshall & Stevens spent this match speculating as to if Hall would and could help Hennig all the way to the AWA title, later tonight, in the finals. It was pushed that Hennig would be facing the winner of the Kerry Von Erich – Larry Zbysco match, that was coming up. Hoff beat the Bennett in 8:44 with a side suplex. DUD

Overall: 40

Crowd: 22

Match: 59

4. Modern Day Warrior Kerry Von Erich d. Larry Zybsco in 16:01 to face Curt Hennig in the AWA Title Tournament semi-finals

Easily the best match of the night. In the pre-match interview, Zbysco put over his ‘experience’ as being the deciding factor in giving him the edge over Von Erich. Erich insisted that he would not give up until the AWA title was on his waist. Match started off at the usual slow pace of a Zbysco opening. Several lockups, crowd taunts, and test of power spots. Erich began to get the upper hand at about 5:33 when moving out of the turnbuckle avoiding an elbow charge from Zbysco. After a roll up near fall, Von Erich began to nail the boots to Zbysco, causing Zbysco to regroup outside the ring. Von Erich, being extremely aggressive, followed him outside, giving him a suplex on the cement. Zbysco sold it big time, clutching his back in excruciating pain. This got the fans behind Von Erich, in a heartbeat. Marshall & Stevens pushed Von Erich’s widespread popularity. The pops that Von Erich got a few days ago, in his hometown of Texas, was a perfect way to introduce ‘the rest’ of the AWA audience to Von Erich. Match reached a high point at 9:22, when Zbysco began to really lay in the punches to Von Erich, busting him open. Referee Al DaRusha kept pausing to check up on Von Erich. Match went back and forth for a while, with Von Erich working on Zbysco’s arm/shoulder with a series of armbars, and shoulder locks. At 11:30, Zbysco began to set Von Erich up for a superplex. The announcers pushed the idea that if he landed this move, it would be over – lots of stalling here to build heat; Blood was POURING from Von Erich’s head at this point. Zbysco, heavily fatigued, really took some time climbing to the second turnbuckle, and getting set up for the move. Just as he was about to perform the move, Von Erich began to fight back. After a few punches to the head, Zbysco was kicked off the turnbuckle, landing on that ‘bad’ shoulder that had been worked on. DaRusha checked Von Erich’s head, again, as he started to stagger around the ring, with the fans behind him every step of the way. Zbysco slowly got up, and went running into two clotheslines, for a couple of near falls. A small ‘Kerry’ chant started to surface as Erich nailed Zbysco with two discus, punches, for a couple more near falls. At 14:10, Von Erich gave Zbysco an Irish whip into the ropes, but was surprised with a knee to the groin. After a near fall, Zbysco ‘gave the sign’ that he was about to end it. After throwing Erich into the turnbuckle, Zbysco gathered himself and charged full speed. But Von Erich, scooped him up, teasing loosing his balance in the process. After a few moments of re-adjusting Zbysco on his shoulder, he performed a running shoulder breaker. Zbysco, once again, did a great selling job here, and soon walked right into a discus punch for the surprise loss. Kerry Von Erich advances to the tournament finals, to face Curt Hennig for the AWA Heavyweight Title. ***

Overall: 78

Crowd: 71

Match: 85

Von Erich’s post match interviews were really good. While Zbysco was still being attended to in the ring, for his shoulder, Marshall caught up with Von Erich on the outside. A bloody Von Erich was so pumped up and exhausted, that it was a bit hard to understand what he was saying. He did make it a point to mention that he had never faced Curt Hennig before. Marshall tried to get a word with Zbysco, but he was being helped to the back by ring attendants. He kept screaming, “My shoulder! My shoulder! Arrgggghhh!

5. Madusa & Bad Company (Pat Tanaka & Paul Diamond) d. Candi Devine & The Texas Hagmen (Psycho & Killer) in 6:22.

Nothing much here. Madusa & Candi had a nice exchange which lasted all but 90 seconds, and concluded the match. After some typical back and forth tag team action from the Hangmen & Bad Company, Madusa rolled up Devine at 6:19 for the victory. Crowd popped for the win, as they went to the back with The Masked Superstar. *

Overall: 51

Crowd: 40

Match: 62

- Bad News Allen vs. The Masked Superstar -

Neslon: “ Masked Superstar…I’ve seen you battle a lot of tough men…but this guy…Bad News Allen; We’ve seen him in action last week when he got disqualified for throwing Greg Gagne over the top rope, in the first round of the AWA Title Tournament. This man clearly has no regard for the rules!

Masked Superstar: “ Well, I got news for him! Actually, I got bad news for him! You ain’t throwing me over the top rope! You ain’t gonna pick this 300+ pound man of muscle…you ain’t gonna throw me around, Allen! And in just a few moments you’re gonna see what it’s like to get in a ring with someone that’s bigger than you; stronger than you; And…BADDER than you!!! Grrr!

6. Bad News Allen drew The Masked Superstar in 12:34 of a Chicago Street Fight when the ref called for the bell

Bad News Allen’s pre-match interview was great, in that Nelson appeared to be absolutely petrified of him. Allen insisted that this was his type of match; no countout, no DQ. Match spilled to the outside within 5 minutes, with both men slugging it out into the crowd. After the 10 minute mark, the announcers mentioned how referee George Eakin had to get the action back into the ring, or they’d literally fight into the streets of Chicago. Eventually, the two battled beyond the crowd into a back area, where the camera could no longer keep up with them; the ref was forced to call the match. This, no doubt, was to pick Allen up from his DQ loss to Gagne, and may possibly lead to a programme with Superstar. Despite the no contest, the slugfest was strong. **1/4

Overall: 70

Crowd: 66

Match: 74

After the official word, they quickly went to the back, where Larry Nelson was standing by with The Modern Day Warrior Kerry Von Erich. Von Erich had his head taped up, a bit, selling his earlier confrontation with Zbysco. Nelson asked Von Erich if he was worried about Scott Hall, who’s expected to be in Hennig’s corner, as usual. Von Erich said that he wasn’t worried, adding, “ Just like I overcame the odds in my match, earlier tonight with Larry Zbysco…I was hurt, I was bleeding…but ya know what? I did it! I won that match, to get to this point right here. And that’s exactly what I’m gonna do, again, Larry! I’m telling you this right now, right here, in front of the audience at home, and the thousands here, tonight. I don’t care if Hennig has all of his friends at ringside, I’m still gonna beat’em, and win that AWA Heavyweight Title!

After the interview they returned to ringside, where Marshall & Stevens continued to hype the main event. After going over upcoming AWA TV on ESPN & house show scheduling, they returned to the back where Nelson was standing by with Hennig & Hall.

- Curt Hennig & Scott Hall -

user posted image

Neslon: “ Curt Hennig, there’s not doubt that you’re an extraordinary wrestler --

Hennig: “ I know! Tell me something I don’t know! Hahaha! [*Laughs with Hall*

Neslon: “ But, there is no doubt that this man (Scott Hall) has played a huge part in your advancement throughout this tournament!

Hennig: “ Yea…that’s right! As always—Like a true tag team partner, Hall has been a great source of support---

Neslon: “ No, no, no, I’m not talking about that! I’m talking about him sticking his nose in your match with Sgt. Slaughter a few night’s ago, in Texas…I’m talking about his interference earlier tonight, when you were facing Greg Gagne! I’m talking about---

Hennig: “ That’s enough, Larry! I don’t know what you’re talking about! All I know is that like any true tag team partner, Hall is always by my side! And whether you like it tonight, Hall will be right there, when I win the AWA Heavyweight Title, defeating the Texan boy—Kerry Von Erich! Let’s go, Hall!

Neslon: “ Wowee! We’re in for a quite a main event! Back to you, Lee Marshall & Ray Stevens!

- The AWA Heavyweight Tournament Match -

7. Kerry Von Erich d. Curt Hennig in 15:01 to win the vacant AWA Heavyweight Championship

This match, in terms of workrate was just a notch under the Zbysco-Von Erich match – most likely due to the fact that both men, especially Von Erich, were a bit worn from their earlier matches. However, this match had a bit more heat, since this was for the title. They made a huge deal about Hall at ringside, playing a huge part in the match from the beginning, serving as a distraction to Hennig. At 7:33, after Hall tripped up Von Erich, from the outside the referee quickly ordered Hall to return to the back. Fans popped hard for this, as both Hennig & Hall protested until it was clear that that was the refs final decision. This provided a whole new light for Von Erich, as he faired better against Hennig for the next several minutes. At 10:22, after a discus punch to Hennig, the crowd began to buzz as Larry ‘The Ax’ Hennig, made his way to the ring. The announcers instantly teased that Curt had another ally, in his former tag team partner, and Father in The Ax. Von Erich fell to a cradle pin, for a near fall, as he jawed with The Ax. At this point, Curt was bleeding a bit, as he had a small cut on his forehead. Final moments of the match came at the 15 minute mark of the match….

user posted image

Final Call By Lee Marshall & Ray ‘The Crippler’ Stevens

Stevens: “ ..Whoa, now look at this…Curt Hennig…is really taking a whipping here!

Marshall: “ Kerry Von Erich is really giving it to Hennig now…and..[*The Ax picks up a folding chair, on the outside*]..wait a second…

Stevens: “ Yea, he’s picking up that chair…what is The Ax doing on the outside?

Marshall: “ Larry ‘The Ax’ Hennig, the Father, and former tag team partner of Curt Hennig, who came down to ringside just a few moments ago, has got that chair in his hand. And now, [*Curt counters Von Erich’s attempted overhead toss with a DDT*] OH MY!!! A DDT by Curt Hennig!

Stevens: “ This could be all over! Kerry’s lost allotta blood! And he just landed face first – HARD – into that mat.

Marshall: “1….2…..3!! Yes…wait…did he get him?

Stevens: “ No, no, he only got two! Only two that time, Lee.

Marshall: “ And now…Hennig…throwing Von Erich into the ropes….

Stevens: “ Look at The Ax!! He’s getting ready to nail Kerry with that chair!

Marshall: “ No!!! A reversal – Curt goes into the ropes…and OHHHH!!!!! He hits his son!! Larry the AX just hit Curt Hennig in the back with that metal folding chair, as he was coming into the ropes!

Stevens: “ HE HIT THE WRONG MAN! DaRusha didn’t even see it! The plan backfired! Kerry was really alert there, and was able to get just enough energy to reverse that Irish whip, and send Curt into the ropes, as The AX was already winding up his shot

Marshall: “ And….OH!!! A discus punch by Von Erich!! He makes the cover! Hooks the leg! 1! 2! 3! YES! Kerry Von Erich is the AWA World Champion!!!

Stevens: “ Wow!! Kerry Von Erich is now the champion of the AWA!

After a few moments, Verne Gagne, accompanied by figurehead president, Stanley Blackburn, and a host of other promoters presented Kerry Von Erich with the AWA Heavyweight Championship Belt. Crowd popped as a bloodied Von Erich held the title high, in a well worked, and well planned tournament final.

Overall: 79

Crowd: 81

Match: 75

The AWA World Heavyweight title has gained in image.

Commentary Aftermatch

Nelson: “ Well, that’s about it from here in Chicago..but WOW! What a night! How does the future look for the AWA?

Marshall: “ Well, Larry the future of the AWA looks as bright as ever! Now, we have a World Champion again, and, boy – the competition is as hot as ever for that title! Kerry Von Erich will not have it easy, in defending that title!

Nelson: “ That’s right – you’ve got guys like Greg Gagne, Curt Hennig, Larry Zbysco – many wrestlers out there, who came close to that title, and are all waiting in line for a shot at Kerry Von Erich!

Marshall: “ And some just may not wait in line, at all! Plus, we have yet to hear from Stan Hansen since the title was stripped!

Nelson: “ And what about some of the other things going on in the AWA, right now! I mean…now, how will Curt Hennig react to his Father and former tag partner, Larry The Ax, pretty much, well…costing him the final match?!

Marshall: “ That’s right. And what about Bad News Allen and Masked Superstar! They fought everywhere in the building that they possibly could! And then they left the building! Wow! Too wild!

Nelson: “ For Lee Marshall, Ray Stevens, Verne Gagne, and all of those who made these last couple of nights, historic ones to say the least – I’m Larry Nelson…see you on ESPN next week! It’s the AWA on ESPN!

Thumbs up 71%

Thumbs down 5%

Thumbs in the middle 24%

Best Match

Modern Day Warrior Kerry Von Erich vs. Curt Hennig (AWA Title Final) 60%

Modern Day Warrior Kerry Von Erich vs. Larry Zbysco (AWA Title Semi-Final) 31%

Masked Superstar vs. Bad News Allen (Chicago Street Fight) 9%

Worst Match

Buck Zum Hoff vs. Jim Bennett 45%

Ken Patera vs. Ron Bass 30%

Mixed Six Man Tag Match 25%

user posted image

Next Update:

AWA On ESPN

Edited by Javert

Another great show Jav, better than your first. 3-2 (Not including Bad News vs. Masked) on the predictions, got Von Erich right which is good on my part :). Can't wait to see how you're going to do the Larry the Axe/Curt angle. All in all, great show.

AWA Wrestling

On ESPN

user posted image

Time: 4pm – 5pm ET

Date: 6/12/80

Hosts: Lee Marshall & Joe Blanchard

-by Dave Schmeltzer

AWA Wrestling on ESPN opened up with Lee Marshall narrating photo still highlights from The two Night Of Champions. He covered, the situation between newcomer Ted Dibiase & ‘Nasty Boy’ Brian Knobbs, the arrival of The Guiding Light Lou Albano & The Bigelows (and their attack on the Midnight Rockers, the arena-wide slugfest between Bad News Allen & The Masked Superstar, and of course, the AWA Title Tournament. Most of it revolved around Hall helping Curt Hennig throughout the tournament, only for Hennig to end up loosing in the AWA finals, thanks to the mistimed interference of Father, Larry The Ax. They then opened up with Ted Dibiase, already in the ring, ready for the first match of the TV show.

- Ted Dibiase Challenges The ‘Nasty Boy’ --

Ted Dibiase d. Todd Becker

Both Lee Marshall and Joe Blanchard put over Ted Dibiase as being a true student of the sport. They put him over big, citing his strong round 1 AWA showing against Brian Knobbs, and spoke of his accomplishments in the mid-south territories to date. Dibiase nailed Becker with a strong Hansen-esque lariat for the victory at 5:33. It was also noted that Dibiase was former AWA Champion’s Stan Hansen’s tag partner in Japan. After the match, Larry Nelson went into the ring to get a word with Dibiase.

Overall: 55

Crowd: 41

Match: 77

Nelson complimented Dibiase on his round 1 AWA win over Brian Knobbs, and brought up the fact that Knobbs feels he had Dibiase beat.

Nelson: “ Well Dibiase, you heard it just like we did…Nasty Brian Knobbs insisting that he would’ve won had he not been counted out! He says that he had you beat! He insists that you got an easy win! What do you have to say to that?

Dibiase: “ MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!! An easy win? Easy! I never got anything, easy, Nelson! Never! My father died in front of my face, when I was 15 years old! 15! And from that point on, everything’s been everything BUT easy! Knobbs…you wanna say I got an easy victory! You think that you had me beat!? You say you’re not hard to find…well neither am I! And, from what I understand, there’s gonna be a big show, next month, and I’ll be waiting for you there!

Nelson: “ Wha..wha..wait a minute. Are you talking about July 16th, AWA’s BrawlFest? Are you challenging ‘Nasty’ Brian Knobbs to a match!?

Dibiase: “ That’s right, Nelson!! Knobbs! Me, and you! AWA Brawlfest, next month, at the Sun E. Tatum Arena, right here in Minneapolis!” [*Crowd pops as Dibiase walks to the back*]

Nelson: “ Wow!!! Looks like Brian Knobbs may have chewed of something…er…maybe a bit to nasty to handle!!

Really good first interview for Dibiase. This interview really got over Dibiase’s ‘mean’, but ‘heroic’ streak that they’re trying to portray. 82%

Ted Dibiase gained 1 point of overness from this segment.

--ADVERTS/HOUSE SHOW ANNOUNCEMENTS—

Bad Company (Pat Tanaka & Paul Diamond) d. Kent Carlson & Spike Jones

Marshall & Blanchard pretty much covered the tag division during this match, citing the arrival of the nearly combined weight of 1,000 lb team of The Bigelow’s. They teased an interview with Albano & Sherri Martel’s team next week, and wished the Midnight Rockers a speedy recovery. Tanaka & Diamond looked really good here. Midway during the match, A skinny Black man, wearing a suit & bowtie, and top-hat, with a cane, was seen watching Bad Company in action. Tanaka & Diamond paid minimal attention to the man, before winning the match at 8:33, when Tanaka nailed Carlson with a thrust kick to the ‘throat’.

Overall: 52

Crowd: 28

Match: 77

Wayne Bloom d. Tom Bennett

During this match, that skinny Black Man, who also seemed to have an interest in this match, was asked to leave by AWA security. Anyway, a lot of posing here by Bloom before putting the final count on Bennett, with a top rope leg drop. Looks like they gave Bloom back a TV win after loosing in less than attractive fashion to, World Champion, Modern Day Warrior Kerry Von Erich in the first round of the AWA tourney.

Overall: 45

Crowd: 26

Match: 64

The Trooper d. John Nord

Well, John Nord is probably the most god-forsaken worst wrestler that there is. Crowd was behind the Trooper, all the way. Marshall & Blanchard speculated as to who that man who was around during the first few matches, was. Blanchard jokingly suggested that he may owe a few people money from bets that went awry. They really have to get a new commenting team to avoid stupid exchanges like that. There were rumours circulating that wrestler Robert Fuller, or JJ Dillon was going to be hired for a colour commentator role; but nothing yet. Trooper won with ‘The Pinch’ at 6:22.

Overall: 43

Crowd: 40

Match: 47

John Nord didn't really sell very much, which hurt the match rating.

- Scott Hall Attacks Gagne & Larry The Ax --

Returning to TV, Marshall & Blanchard did a little talking, beginning with Blanchard announcing that this would be his final AWA on ESPN broadcast with Marshall. Blanchard said he wanted to get more viewpoints from the wrestlers, and would be a full time interviewer. Good riddance. Anyway, they then went into what a great tournament was had last week, and again, mentioned that Kerry Von Erich was the new AWA Champion. They pushed the story of Scott Hall helping Hennig throughout the tournament to the very end; with the first victim being Greg Gagne. Nelson was standing by in the back with Scott Hall.

Nelson: “ Well, Scott Hall…1/2 of the AWA Tag Team Champions with Curt Hennig…and…some might say that you thought it was a tag team tournament, this past week! You’re interference in Curt Hennig’s matches were---

Hall: “ Whoa! Wait a second, Larry! You heard Curt say it, and I’m gonna say it to you again! We are a team! That’s why we have [*smacks Title on shoulder*] THESE! The AWA Tag Team Titles! Now, Greg Gagne feels he lost the match cos’ of me?! NO! He lost the match because of HIMSELF! If he concentrated on the match, and didn’t come out to attack me, he would’ve been a lot better off! But, the second that you come biting me, I bite right back!

Nelson: “ And speaking of Curt Hennig, who lost in the finals of the AWA Title Tournament to Kerry Von Erich – WHERE IS HE?!

Hall: “ Curt is at home, taking care of himself…resting thanks to his own Father attacking him with a chair!

Nelson: “ Now, wait a minute – it was clear that was by accident. He---

Hall: “ If I were there, that wouldn’t have happened! And Larry! I hope you’re here next week! Because Curt will be! And I’m sure he has a lot to say to you! Gagne! Get ready! Because THIS TIME we’re gonna be in a ring, and not outside the ring!

Looks like they’re setting up for some kind of Hall & Curt vs. Larry The Ax programme. Should be interesting, considering Larry’s last match was with Curt late last year. 82%

Scott Hall gained 1 point of overness from this segment.

Nasty’ Brian Knobbs d. Jerry Lynn

Entertaining squash match, here, as Lynn had an offense flush at 4:22, which popped the crowd. At 6:22, Knobbs gave Lynn about 8 consecutive elbow smashes to the back of the head. Each time the crowd began to count along, he stopped. Finals of the match came after the Nasty (elbow) Drop from the second rope. On his way to the back, Marshall quickly caught up with Knobbs and asked him if he accepted the “Brawlfest challenge from Ted Dibiase.

Knobbs: “ You can bet I accept Dibiase’s challenge! [*In mocking voice*] ‘Awww, my daddy died when I was 15! I never had anything easy; BLAH BLAH BLAH!! I don’t’ care! Shuttup Dibiase, no one cares ‘bout your sob stories! Next month…Brawlfest…Dibiase, you will see just how Nasty I am! Hahahahaha!

Overall: 62

Crowd: 41

Match: 84

Greg Gagne d. Scott Hall

Midway during the match, during the commercials, they played a spot for Brawlfest on July 16th, announcing a return bout for the AWA Heavyweight Title, as The Modern Day Warrior Kerry Von Erich will defend against Curt Hennig. See-saw battle here, with Hall having most of the upper edge. Crowd got behind Gagne after he countered a bear-hug by Hall. Hall had him in the move, but Gagne clutched onto his head, big time, causing Hall to scream in pain. Hall started to run around the ring, trying to get Gagne to latch off of his head. During all of this, Gagne used the ropes as support to nail Hall with a DDT, and a near fall. Hall, staggered, got up and charged into a snap power slam from Gagne for another near fall. Gagne really started to get the fans behind him, as he snuck up behind a staggering Hall, leaped onto his back and latched on the sleeper hold. After a considerable amount of time, Hall finally succumbed to the sleeper 3 count, and was out cold. Gagne celebrated like he just won the lottery.

Overall: 60

Crowd: 57

Match: 64

Marshall and Blanchard ended the show, with Blanchard saying his final goodbye. Marshall hyped next week’s show, stressing the fact that Curt Hennig will be there; teasing the confrontation with his Father. They also speculated as to if that skinny Black man would show his face again, after being thrown out of the arena, earlier on in the show….

AWA Wrestling ESPN Preview!

[*] The AWA Debut Of Eric Embry!

[*] An interview with Lou Albano’s & Sherri Martel’s

BIG BAD BULLS! (Big Bam & Big Van Bigelow)

[*] Pat Tanaka vs. Buddy Rose!

[*] Sgt. Slaughter vs. The Masked Marauder!

[*] Larry Zbysco Interview!

[*] Larry ‘The Ax’ Hennig

[*] And Much, much more!!!