2004. Weak year for music?

YI

The more I think about it, the more and more it seems that this year has been very weak for albums and bands so far. We have countless shitty indy bands, jumping on the Franz Ferdinand bandwagon, who are getting played all the time, and there's pretty much nothing else. So far this past 10 months, the only solid overall album i've heard is The Libertines (Possibly, The Killers album but that had a couple of weak songs). Now it's been a pretty shitty year for punk (If you're looking for a link, there is none. This is just the genre I listen too the most). No major breakout bands yet. New Sum 41 and Green Day albums, both of which IMO are weak (Sum 41's has a few good songs actually, but is overshadowed by the mediocreness of the rest). So i've ben forced to delve into the underground, but still I can't find anything that can satisfy my needs. Well that was until yesterday. On order from HMV (Ordered in from America) a small package came, inside "Siren Song of the Counter Culture", Rise Against's new album. I don't want to turn this thread into a shilling or advertising thread. But boy, was this refreshing. A lot more melodic than their previous stuff. It's got an original sound, just pure easy listening (One downside, not as much solo's as in previous stuff. I think there's only 1, and it isn't really that emphatic).

Okay, so this thread serves two purposes, well three.

First of all, do you feel like this year has been weak for good albums, great bands etc.?

Who do you feel has been the real breakout band, or what's your favourite album?

Plus recommend me some good punk bands if you wish :thumbsup:

This is not a end of year awards thingy or whatever (Sure i'd get a response like that). I just want peoples oppinions, it'll be interesting to see from other peoples eyes (Like those who like all these indy bands, who've found popularity).

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it depends at what genre you look at. It's been an extremely shitty year in hip-hop if you consider only the American scene. The only album I can remember enjoying that much is the Kanye West album, and to a lesser extent Talib Kweli (which was extremely disappointing). However, if you include European stuff, The Streets, Goldie Lookin Chain and Dizzee Rascal all released bad ass albums this year. There have been plenty of good albums this year: Bjork's "Medulla", Tom Waits "Real Gone", The Winks "Slippers and Parasol", Green Day's "American Idiot", The Killers "Hot Fuss" etc... And that's not even including the stuff that came out of the Brit Rock scene this year. I mean, it's had no definitive album like The Shins last year or Coldplay before it, but there have been plenty of rock solid CD's this year. The breakout band this year has got to be The Killers, in Canada at least. My favorite album would still be Bjork's "Medulla".

Guest Bluesman

'It's not confidential

that I have potential'

No, that's not some shit line written by a 10 year old girl dreaming of a pop career (although it sure sounds like it), it's a line from one of the 'breakout' bands of 2004, the Killers. It used to be when music 'critics' would take a cd like this and give it its ideal treatment...life as a frisbee. Now though, they too have seemingly become cogs in the music industries trend whore plan for global dominance. Over the summer I lived in a place that had more than just top 40, oldies, and 508 country music stations. I did a great deal of listening to an 'alternative' station until I got the cd player in the car (thank god for that), and whenever I'd hear some shitty song, it was about a 90% rate that it was a 'breakout' band like The Killers. It seems now as if the music industry fuckheads think they can take any musical genre and completely whore it out until it's utter shit that is bought up by a bunch of MTV tools. That they now do this with the garage/indy band makes you wonder what they could be coming for next. Could they get frisky and by this time next year we'll have John Bach, a great singer and shitty classical pianist who is just to adorable with his big dimples and brown eyes? I know for sure that if they come anywhere close to the blues genre, someone is going to get fucked up. Bad.

I dunno..... I think it's been alright. Kasabian, Hope Of The States, The Killers, Razorlight, Graham Coxon, Franz Ferdinand, Bjork etc have all released great albums. But that's about it really. Apart from that we've had weak releases from The Libertines and Ash, although we still have the new Kings Of Leon album out. Meh, it's not been amazing, last year was much better.

It's been a sad year for metal, I think.

Shadows Fall's new CD, The War Within, was a dissappointment, from what I heard. Lamb Of God's major label, Ashes Of The Wake, debut hasn't been talked about much recently.

We were promised a new Nine Inch Nails CD this year, but we're getting a re-release of The Downward Spiral, and the long-awaited Closure DVD.

The only highlight of music this year was Skinny Puppy's The Greater Wrong Of The Right, which blew me away. An album hasn't blown me away like that since Tool's Lateralus in 2001.

As for non-metal music, another highlight has to be the release of Gwen Stefani's solo debut, Love, Angel, Music, Baby on Nov. 23rd. The single is fucking awesome too.

Hopefully 2005 is a better year for metal fans, and all music fans worldwide.

Breaking Benjamin? I don't like them. The vocals are a nice change from the mainstream crap, but the music is just...eh. The lyrics are average. They get bonus points for Billy Corgan appearing on their latest CD, though.

I still think Saturate was better, though. :P

As for Crossfade, well, they just sound like another carbon copy rock band. Not my cup of tea.

Breaking Benjamin? I don't like them. The vocals are a nice change from the mainstream crap, but the music is just...eh. The lyrics are average. They get bonus points for Billy Corgan appearing on their latest CD, though.

I still think Saturate was better, though. :P

As for Crossfade, well, they just sound like another carbon copy rock band. Not my cup of tea.

Guest bukkake bandit

Edited by bukkake bandit

I blame rap.

Breaking Benjamin's "We Are Not Alone" was released this year i do believe. I have absolutely no problems with that CD, not one bad song.

Crossfade are good but have some weak songs on their albums and i'm loving Earshot. They just seem very original and their "Two" album seems pretty good, i may think of picking it up sometime.

Don't be so kind. They're very bland. And they should never try to cover Tool live again.