The sound of 10,000 gamers nutting

Billy Castillo

If you're into classic videogames like I am, feast on this...

Midway Arcade Treasures II

Later this year Midway will release an arcade collection that all Mortal Kombat fans must own. It'll make you feel old though.

Message Boards

News

Resources

Preview

Review

Cheats

By Robert Workman, GameDAILY

Midway's always had a knack for putting together classic compilations of their video game library into modern day systems. Now their latest entry, Midway Arcade Treasures II, looks to be another collector-worthy gathering of greats. This collection features over 20 classic Midway games, including such favorites as the Mortal Kombat games, Primal Rage, NARC and more. And at $20, it appears to be quite a steal. Those who savor the flavor of arcade classics will probably find this to their liking.

Midway's been in the video game industry for quite some time, soaking their feet in a number of genres and grabbing attention with a number of great games, including Robotron 2084, Smash TV, Mortal Kombat, and so many more. Recently, the company released their latest compilation of classics onto the market with the budget-priced Midway Arcade Treasures, which was released on all three major consoles for a bargain price of $20. The collection was a moderate success, offering such favorites as Blaster, Joust, Spy Hunter, Defender, and more in near arcade-perfect conditions. Some of the video clips left a little bit to be desired, but, still, it was a great value.

Now it looks like they'll be going back to the vault for another collection, and it looks to be another winner. Midway Arcade Treasures II is set to debut this fall, once again for all three consoles, and, like the last collection, it will also hit a budget price of $20. No word has been given yet on supplemental features (interviews with the creators, gallery, etc.), but the game selection has been revealed, and, for the most part, it looks like a great little collection. Sadly, a couple of long-time favorites, Moon Patrol and Burgertime, have gone missing. Sigh...perhaps they'll reappear in Midway Arcade Treasures III. Here's to hoping.

Some of these games will allow for up to four-player action, and the Xbox edition will once again allow gamers to post their high scores online via Xbox Live. Here's the selection of games that will be included in Midway Arcade Treasures II...

A.P.B.- A classic top-down cop driving game where you chase down criminals and pick up bonus items. Good fun.

Arch Rivals- A predecessor to NBA Jam, where players go at it on the hard court with fast moves and insane dunks.

Championship Sprint- A "condensed" version of the three-player Super Sprint, but with a few extra tracks. Good racing action.

Cyberball 2072- A football game with a twist- all the players are robots, and there's trick plays and exploding balls aplenty.

Gauntlet II- The sequel to the classic action game, where you take control of medieval heroes and make your way through a number of mazes and enemies to survive.

Hard Drivin'- A classic driving simulator that plays like a VR game, complete with stunts to complete and real driving to master.

Mortal Kombat- The first three Mortal Kombat games are included in their entirety, right down to the hidden mini-games and the "Test Your Might" bonus rounds. Two player action galore.

NARC- The original run n' gun arcade game returns in full bloody form in this collection, as you take on drug thugs in your quest to stop K.R.A.K. from ruling the streets.

Pit Fighter- Take control of one of three fighters with different styles and take place in underground battles. Digitized graphics and great gameplay aplenty.

Primal Rage- Another classic fighting game makes it debut in this collection, as you control different dinosaurs hell-bent on ruling the newly formed Urth and its inhabitants.

Rampage World Tour- The revamped version of Rampage, where you trash world locales with up to three friends, as mutated monsters. Good stress reliever.

Spy Hunter 2- A very rare dual-screen racing/action game where you can challenge a friend to take on NOSTRA enemies and see who can rack up the highest score.

Steel Talons- A virtual helicopter action game where you take to several air-bound missions, tracking enemies and blasting them out of commission.

STUN Runner- A racing/shooting game that takes place in the future and runs you through several futuristic tracks to get to the finish line and earn bonuses.

Timber- Another rare Bally/Midway effort where you take part in different lumberjack games, competing to be the best in your league.

Total Carnage- The sequel to Smash TV that places you in the middle of a military warground and asks you to shoot anything that moves. This one packs lot of gun-toting madness.

Wizard of Wor- A classic Bally/Midway effort gets reborn here as you make your way through a maze, blasting enemies and trying to reach the Wizard of Wor. This was one of the first games to utilize digitized speech.

Xenophobe- Up to three players can compete in this game, where soldiers of different breeds take on aliens with firepower and tricky items. Great split-screen fun.

Xybots- Two players can compete in this game, where players can make their way through 3-D corridors, blasting creatures and robots while collecting items. Unique analog action.

As you can see, the collection has plenty to offer, even if a couple of the obvious games are missing. We'll have some hands-on impressions and more details on the extras soon. In the meantime, use your quarters for something else and get ready for more classic euphoria for your system.

:o The first 3 MKs AND Gauntlet 2?

I'm there,dude! :blink:

Pit Fighter- Take control of one of three fighters with different styles and take place in underground battles. Digitized graphics and great gameplay aplenty.

That is the greatest fucking fighting game of all time. Pit Fighter was such an incredible game, albeit a limitation in characters to select. However, I felt that the controls were very simple, but still you had a good set of moves for the type of game that is was. I also loved the interactive environments you would fight in. People from the crowd would attack you at random, and you could knock them down. Also a nice variety of weapons to choose from, nothing like smashing a stool over somebodys face.

Guest bruins72

This get points for the nostalgia value but I bet I'd get bored with it within an hour and toss it aside. I'm too used to the better graphics we get now. I've never really been able to go back and play old games.

Guest boris yeltsin

Wow...i should get this. Speedball 2 and Pit Fighter? I remember playing those on my old Commodore 64. Damn those games were fun. And the MK games arent bad either

Sad thing is, I still have NARC and Spyhunter for my NES laying around somewhere.

But, it has MK2 and Pitfighter.... *runs out to get it*

Does anyone remember an arcade game that had like an Uzi you played with, it was called like 'Wolf' something, I can't remember, but the control was an Uzi, and you had to shoot people (duh) and like helicopters and shit. I used to love that game.

Guest bruins72

Does anyone remember an arcade game that had like an Uzi you played with, it was called like 'Wolf' something, I can't remember, but the control was an Uzi, and you had to shoot people (duh) and like helicopters and shit. I used to love that game.

Yeah, I remember that one. I can't remember what it was called for the life of me though.

It was Operation:Wolf. The arcade game was the SHIT, but the NES version was ass.

This get points for the nostalgia value but I bet I'd get bored with it within an hour and toss it aside. I'm too used to the better graphics we get now. I've never really been able to go back and play old games.

I only agree with your first sentence.

I bought Sonic Mega Collection, pretty much whizzed through the games thinking "This is just awesome". Under a week later I refunded it because the nostalgia trip had already run out.

That said though, I look the game list and thing : Wow.