Emo

Guest Johnny Vulture

Guest Johnny Vulture

What is everyones opinion on Emo? It's a type of music, bands like Death Cab for Cutie, Bright Eyes, the Shins, etc...for those who aren't sure.

It's my favorite music to listen to but is comically unpopular, so, if we can have logical debate for either side that would be cool.

There are a lot of great emo bands out there, but the entire genre gets a bad rap from terrible acts like Dashboard Confessional. Because of the whinier contingent of musicians that are labelled "emo", the entire genre is deemed to be whiny and self-absorbed, thought that isn't the case. You'll have to dig deeper to get to the good stuff, but it's worth getting to when you find it.

Guest Johnny Vulture

Very, VERY well said.

I hate it, I'm uptown and someone is like what music are you into? And I'm like well, I listen to emo. And there like, oh, Dashboard. It's automatically assumed. It sucks how Dashboard is the posterboy for emo, giving great artists like Ben Gibbard and Connor Oberst bad names.

Adema is sometimes called EmoMetal, though I can't really tell, as I have no clue what is which anymore. You got NuMetal, Metal, EmoMetal, and whatnot. But if Adema is Emo or not, I still enjoy the music and find them one of my favorite bads.

I'm personally into some emo bands like Deathcab, Brand New, Coheed and Cambria, and Pedro the Lion. Mostly I'm more into the harder emo acts like Thursday, Silverstein, and alexisonfire.

Fitzy does bring up a good point in the abundance of genres in music today, and how one band never can really fit into one box. My theory would be to just call it music and let that be that.

Edited by caucasianheat

Guest Johnny Vulture

Yeah, genres are really, really broad. The edges are so blurred that it's not even right, and I'm trying to work out if it's a good thing or not.

Adema is good, so is Brand New, I think that fits in there somewhere.

Guest bukkake bandit

Emo is a broad category. Everything from Dashboard Confessional to Thursday to Bright Eyes is considered emo. It's a bit ridiculous. And no one gives Bright Eyes a "bad name" All they have to do is listen to Conor's awful vocals.

I like to listen to a lot of emo. Bands like Matchbook Romance, Brand New (more punk based emo), The Early November, and yes Dashboard Confessional. People can trash Dashboard all they want but its only because its now officially become the standard for emo and they are the most main stream emo band out there.

Guest Johnny Vulture

Emo is a broad category. Everything from Dashboard Confessional to Thursday to Bright Eyes is considered emo. It's a bit ridiculous. And no one gives Bright Eyes a "bad name" All they have to do is listen to Conor's awful vocals.

Conor's vocals are incredible man. You can't just try to toss out an opinion as fact on something that's not even near proven.

And no, Gob is not emo. And yes, Gob is a great band.

I like this band called Moneen.

They don't like to be called emo (and good thing to, emo is horrid) but they are.

You should buy their CD.

Guest EriKBN

I think emo is one of the most broad genres in music. People consider pop punk, and even some harder punk to be emo. I would not consider bands like Brand New or Thursday to emo, but I would consider bands like the Get Up Kids and Death Cab for Cutie emo.

I got ahold of some Death Cab for Cutie when I saw your sig, and I listened to a couple songs by them, and I wasn't impressed, it sounds like an even worse version of Dashboard... But then again that was only a couple songs, so I don't really know if that's what they're always like or not.

Guest bukkake bandit

Conor's vocals are incredible man. You can't just try to toss out an opinion as fact on something that's not even near proven.

I've had fans of Conor Oberst themselves tell me he's far from a good vocalist. Everyone says he has great lyrics, that's about it. And even then I'm not convinced with songs like "Lover I Don't Have To Love"

I'm a big fan of 'emo' as it was so ridculously labeled. I love all the ranges of emo where it be a bit of the old schoool (Sunny Day Real Estate, Jets To Brazil, Modest Mouse, Fairweather, etc) or the newer stuff (My Chemical Romance, Story of the Year, etc) it's all good, cept for certain bands which for some reason I find utter shite (Finch, Yellowcard, Funeral For A Fuckwit). I recommend the new My Chemical Romance album, the styles they play on that album is so ranged, it shows bands what they should be doing on an album not just "Generic Song #1, Generic Song #2 (Which is Song #1 with different lyrics)."

I'm a big fan of 'emo' as it was so ridculously labeled. I love all the ranges of emo where it be a bit of the old schoool (Sunny Day Real Estate, Jets To Brazil, Modest Mouse, Fairweather, etc) or the newer stuff (My Chemical Romance, Story of the Year, etc) it's all good, cept for certain bands which for some reason I find utter shite (Finch, Yellowcard, Funeral For A Fuckwit). I recommend the new My Chemical Romance album, the styles they play on that album is so ranged, it  shows bands what they should be doing on an album not just "Generic Song #1, Generic Song #2 (Which is Song #1 with different lyrics)."

otep is emo :P

no, I kid.