Women in Rock and Roll

RPS

Rock and roll and sex. Have you ever thought about why women are in the minority when it comes to rock and roll bands. Well, not in the minority, but how come we never give them enough exposure? Their have been plently of amazing rock and roll acts featuing women from Janis Joplin, the girl from Fleetwood Mac who's name escapes me, to Joan Jett, to the modern day age of Brody Dalle and the Distillers. And no one can forget the Devotchkas, an oi band with a woman as the lead singer.

Are there enough women in rock and roll bands?

If so, why don't we hear about them as frequently as men?

If not, why aren't these women starting up kick ass punk bands?

Is it because of these poserish bands like the Donnas, Liveonrelease, Lillix who re-enforce this "weak and girly" image and not enough emphasis placed upon the true grit of rock and roll in the hearts of the Distillers, Bikini Kill, Joan Jett, Janis Joplin? Are record labels suppressing an empowering women figure?

And lastly, who is your favorite girl band or girl fronted band and some songs you really like by these artists. Just for some thoughtful discussion on music and the entertainment business.

I've been a No Doubt fan since the Tragic Kingdom album and I think Gwen Stefani is awesome. Therefore, my favorite girl fronted band would be No Doubt. Yes. Sue me. Besides them, I'm not really into bands with a girl on lead vocals, not sure why, its just the way I feel. Not that I have anything against them.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Rock and roll and sex. Have you ever thought about why women are in the minority when it comes to rock and roll bands. Well, not in the minority, but how come we never give them enough exposure? Their have been plently of amazing rock and roll acts featuing women from Janis Joplin, the girl from Fleetwood Mac who's name escapes me, to Joan Jett, to the modern day age of Brody Dalle and the Distillers. And no one can forget the Devotchkas, an oi band with a woman as the lead singer.

Guest LegionCageFan

Grace Slick, possessor of quite possibly the best voice in the history of ever.

Grace Slick, possessor of quite possibly the best voice in the history of ever.

I went through a massive phase of loving nothing but female-fronted bands, so I'll make a little (read: probably quite large) list of decent-to-great bands with female singers.

Within Temptation - Only just getting any real recognition, but they are the prototype that Nightwish, Lacuna Coil, Evanescense et all were built around. Listen to "Enter", it blows anything by most other bands out of the water.

No Doubt

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Tsunami Bomb

Nightwish

Lacuna Coil

My Ruin

Jack Off Jill

Scarling

Scary Bitches

Future Bible Heroes

The Chubbies

After Forever

This Mortal Coil

Lydia Lunch

Breeders

Siouxsie & The Banshees

The Creatures

Horrorpops

Lullacry

That's off the top of my head, I could probably think of many more. There's plenty of damn good female-fronted bands out there.

Shit, forgot the Yeah Yeah Yeahs (no apostrophe).

Based on her voice, I expected her to be a total sex kitten. I was kinda disappointed when I saw her.

How dare you!!!

Karen O = Goddess

X is a great band with a female vocalist. Exene Cervenka and Joe Doe used to share the mic on stage. Exene was great, and had funny stuff to say in interviews.

One of my personal favorites is Blondie, they gained their notoriety playing at CBGB's with bands like the Dead Boys and the Ramones. The group was always mostly a new wave group however. Deborah Harry, the lead singer, was incredibly hot.

The Alice Bag Band was focused around Alice Bag, the lead singer. They never gained a whole lot of fame or really released any full length albums, but their material isn't completely scarce these days. If you can ever get ahold of anything by them (be it vinyl, or a copy of the Decline of Western Civilization, or it's soundtrack) then give it a whirl.

Crass is another group, like X that featured multiple lead singers, one being male, one being female.

Edited by VerbalPuke