Women in Rock and Roll

RPS

Guest Booker T & The MG's

Melissa Auf Der Maur's solo stuff is really good, shes my favourite female in rock right now and Auf Der Maur are great live, and I've always been a Hole fan through all there incarnations, I like Celebrity Skin just as much Live Through This or there debut album

Out of acts that are around today I like Bjork, PJ Harvey, The Distillers and Pretty Girls Make Graves

Going back The Slits were a great all female group, and the late great John Peel said The Slits sessions were amongst his favourites. I liked The Breeders as well.

Rock and roll and sex. Have you ever thought about why women are in the minority when it comes to rock and roll bands. Well, not in the minority, but how come we never give them enough exposure? Their have been plently of amazing rock and roll acts featuing women from Janis Joplin, the girl from Fleetwood Mac who's name escapes me, to Joan Jett, to the modern day age of Brody Dalle and the Distillers. And no one can forget the Devotchkas, an oi band with a woman as the lead singer.

Grace Slick, possessor of quite possibly the best voice in the history of ever.

Huh? I thought it was Stevie Nicks...

Garbage is my favorite band of all time

Melissa Auf der Maur had the best album of 2004

And Evanescence had the best album of 2003, so that should tell you how much female-fronted rock bands are taking off.

Also enjoy:

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Drain STH

Curve

No Doubt (some No Doubt)

The Donnas

Kittie

Otep

Lacuna Coil

Lords of Acid

KMFDM (not fronted by a female, but there's often female lead vocals in different songs)

Blondie

Bonnie Rait, Emmylou Harris.

Theres two.

I recently heard Janis Joplins version of Me And Bobby McGee and MAI GAWD it hurt my ears. Kris Kristofferson's own version is far better, it's just alot slower and more serious than her version sounds to me.