Best frontman of a band

Guest George

Who's your favorite leader of a band? Whether it's a intrumental band, a jazz band, rock, punk, whatever.

Mine has to be Chris Cornell.

His lyrics are pure poetry, and few other artists write the same style as him, and they can't even get near his lyrics. There are two types of writers, the ones who write Realism like this:

The red pillow

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Staind%20-%20Aaron%20Lewis%200288.jpg

Aaron Lewis, Lead singer of Staind

Staind has been my favorite band ever since I heard the Tormented CD. It was one of the hardest CD's I had heard at that point, and the songs on it were incredible. I started going to shows in Boston, and eventually met the band. After they released the Dysfunction CD and began getting bigger, I didn't get to see their shows as much anymore, but I did whenever they came around. I even found out my mom knows his wife, so I've met him and gotten to talk to him a couple of times. One of the classiest guys that you could ever meet. :)

Anyways, I just love his voice, he can sing basically anything, whether it be a slow, melodic song or an up tempo, angry one, and anything in between. Not to mention that he is great on the accustic guitar. Outside is one of my favorite songs by him.

*looks at my sig and avatar*

George, I think it goes without saying, but I second your opinion. I've gotten into Cornell more and more in the last two months, and I've grown to find that the stuff I used to praise hasn't got ANYTHING on him.

My top three tracks from him are probably 'Just Like Suicide' from his Soundgarden days, 'Shadow on the Sun' from the Audioslave debut CD, and 'Can't Change Me' (the English version :P) from Euphoria Morning.

*looks at my sig and avatar*

George, I think it goes without saying, but I second your opinion. I've gotten into Cornell more and more in the last two months, and I've grown to find that the stuff I used to praise hasn't got ANYTHING on him.

My top three tracks from him are probably 'Just Like Suicide' from his Soundgarden days, 'Shadow on the Sun' from the Audioslave debut CD, and 'Can't Change Me' (the English version :P) from Euphoria Morning.

I didn't asked you if you had Chris Cornell's Album, I asked you if Chris Cornell ain't a cutie pie?

Try to get Sunshower and Seasons too then.

You suggested me songs to get, as you thought them better than 'Can't Change Me.' I replied that I had the whole album, and thus didn't need 'em.

Anyways, I dunno if he is or not. I don't judge guys. :P

Nothing wrong with admitting if a guy is good looking.

Cornell is.

The best frontman of all time would probably be Freddy Mercury, no one could own a crowd quite like him.

However, when it comes to personal taste, my favorite is without a doubt, my every sexual fantasy, Shirley Manson. She's the lead singer of Garbage, who just so happens to have a new album coming out this April!

shirley39.jpg

They just don't make women better than that.

t52.jpg

Trent Reznor IS nine inch nails. Literally. NIN is formed of a cast of revolving musicians each time they record, but the only musician who sticks around each time is Trent Reznor. Words cannot describe this man. He can do it all, quite simply put. He is the ultimate frontman. He's came up with the best music I've heard in my 16 years. He can somehow mix Industrial, Synth, Rock and anything else he wishes into something that turns out oddly beautiful. Trent Reznor is the ultimate frontman to me.

20040620_180611_04259500.jpg

Dennis Lyxen

This guy is punk fucking rock. Any guy who tours in China when it is illegal, with the risk of being arrested in a highly restrictable place. He was lead singer of Refused, perhaps the greatest punk-rock group since the Clash. They made some rockin' hard tunes, most of which are probably over a lot of peoples head. Yes, that includes probably most people on this board. Shape of Punk To Come is the most essential CD released in the last 10 years.

Than he goes on to do a garage rock-punk rock-dancing fushion. And the shit is good and political. Hey, anyone who has the guts to say Capitalism Stole My Virginity has my respect. Than they come out with perhaps the best punk rock CD of the new decade in Armed Love, which will blow you the fuck away. Black Mask is perhaps single of the year, perhaps single of the decade.

And than, he tops it all off by going off and doing a solo album which blows me the fuck away. So much depth, so much heart, so much soul from this guy. He manages to say FUCK politics and writes an album about love, peace and everything inbetween.

You find a guy who is willingly to get put in prison for music, a guy who is willingly to give his life up to play a show and than you can tell me he is the front-man of all time.

20040620_180611_04259500.jpg

Dennis Lyxen

This guy is punk fucking rock. Any guy who tours in China when it is illegal, with the risk of being arrested in a highly restrictable place. He was lead singer of Refused, perhaps the greatest punk-rock group since the Clash. They made some rockin' hard tunes, most of which are probably over a lot of peoples head. Yes, that includes probably most people on this board. Shape of Punk To Come is the most essential CD released in the last 10 years.

Than he goes on to do a garage rock-punk rock-dancing fushion. And the shit is good and political. Hey, anyone who has the guts to say Capitalism Stole My Virginity has my respect. Than they come out with perhaps the best punk rock CD of the new decade in Armed Love, which will blow you the fuck away. Black Mask is perhaps single of the year, perhaps single of the decade.

And than, he tops it all off by going off and doing a solo album which blows me the fuck away. So much depth, so much heart, so much soul from this guy. He manages to say FUCK politics and writes an album about love, peace and everything inbetween.

You find a guy who is willingly to get put in prison for music, a guy who is willingly to give his life up to play a show and than you can tell me he is the front-man of all time.

I didn't asked you if you had Chris Cornell's Album, I asked you if Chris Cornell ain't a cutie pie?

Try to get Sunshower and Seasons too then.

You suggested me songs to get, as you thought them better than 'Can't Change Me.' I replied that I had the whole album, and thus didn't need 'em.

Anyways, I dunno if he is or not. I don't judge guys. :P

Is that Dennis singing on Songs To Fan The Flames Of Discontent? I listen to Poetry Written In Gasoline, and then I listen to Beauty, and if it is Dennis on both tracks, his voice has really changed, IMO.

Good band though. New Noise is a fucking classic, and Lick It Clean is fucking superb.  :thumbsup:

Yep. That'd be him. If you seriously want to boggle your mind, listen to the REALLY early stuff and than listen to the really new stuff. Listen to "Who Died?" and than listen to "New Noise"... HUGE difference. New Noise is a classic song. If they weren't anarchist and signed to a major record label they would have been the next Led Zeppelin, no doubt.

James Hetfield > both of those choices

* > Aaron Lewis

Hetfield, lyrically, is the apple to Cornell's orange. Cornell paints pictures with words, Hetfield assaults you with them. They're stage presence is about equal, since both are usually good with a crowd and excellent singers/guitarists.

weezer_pic4.jpg

Weezer > 86% -- people give them far too much crap. They're a decent band when they want to be, but I stop far short of calling them great or horrible.

And Jar Jar Beatnik, Frank Black >>>>>>>>>> Weezer. The guys blatantly rip-off everything that Pixies has done. Whether it's the genre, their riffs, Frank Black owns all Weezer guys with his pinky toe.

Ugh.

Well to say that my favorite is the best might not be true, but it is to a lot of people. In this I'll have to go with David Draiman of Disturbed.

I've been a fan of Disturbed since I got into rock music in 2001, before I was just into rap, but Disturbed has been a mainstay in my musical tastes. His ablity to actually sing and scream is tremendous and he sounds like a fun guy to be around and not a "I'm better than you" attitude. Plus he's awesome live and cracks on people he thinks should be cracked on. Like at the Music As A Weapon 2 concert, he was cracking on the crowd that was sitting up in the seats, and one guy yelled "Fuck You" and flipped him, so David threatened him, which was funny. Plus his piercings are the most unique.

Anyways, he's awesome, and I also find Maynard James Keenan to be badass as well.