Best frontman of a band

Guest George

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to go with either Cornell, Henry Rollins, or Glenn Danzig.

James Hetfield > both of those choices

Ner, Cornell > Hetfield by far. Hetfield and the rest of Metallica have been on the decline for a while now, whereas Cornell had Soundgarden, his solo project, and Audioslave, all of which have produced superb albums.

Not to mention his writing on St. Anger was fucking terrible. He sounds like an angsty 13 year old with that shit.

Is that Dennis singing on Songs To Fan The Flames Of Discontent? I listen to Poetry Written In Gasoline, and then I listen to Beauty, and if it is Dennis on both tracks, his voice has really changed, IMO.

Good band though. New Noise is a fucking classic, and Lick It Clean is fucking superb.  :thumbsup:

Yep. That'd be him. If you seriously want to boggle your mind, listen to the REALLY early stuff and than listen to the really new stuff. Listen to "Who Died?" and than listen to "New Noise"... HUGE difference. New Noise is a classic song. If they weren't anarchist and signed to a major record label they would have been the next Led Zeppelin, no doubt.

I'm gonna have to do two. My favourite ever, and my recent favourite. Always get more for your buck with me :thumbsup:

Favourite Ever

maynard.jpg

(Sorry The image is a little large.)

Maynard James Keenan for me, created a large portion of the greatness behind Tool. Yes, the musicians behind him are more than capable, and are, infact rather damn good, but I just find myself mesmorized by nothing more than Maynard's voice. It's haunting. One moment it's the most peacful, becautiful thing you've ever heard, the next it's barking at you like you were a naughty child. Even in APC, he managed to become the focal point in the band, despite being one of the the most enigmatic people in the music business.

Recent Favourite

MyChemicalRomancePIC2.jpg

Gerard Way is one of the top upcoming vocalists. He switches between a scream and a heartfelt singing voice in between words, rather than lines. Every word he sings feels so heartfelt, and so personal. He makes it feel as though the song was written specifically for you. Makes it feel as though the song will only ever be heard by you, because he puts so much energy into each song, that it seems as though it may well be his last.

Close Contenders: Eddie Vedder, Roger Waters, Cedric Bixler-Zavala, Claudio Sanchez, Randy Blythe

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

Of all time, Freddy Mercury, I fucking love him (not enough to contract aids though). I'm not really a fan of any type of rock music anymore, but shit like Queen is genius, if only Brian May wasn't a complete faggot.

I'm surprised onl sycodmn mentioned Axl Rose, I'd have thought he would have a high place on this type of thing.

Anyway, I agree with George, althought I'm not sure whether Cornell is the best frontman, or my personal favourite. He fucking rocks either way. I've not managed to hear much from his solo album though, or Temple Of The Dog much to my chagrin. I've heard Sunshower, Sweet Euphoria, Disappearing One and Moonchild. Moonchild is definently my favourite of those, but I'll need to get the full CD before I pass judgement. I do have every Soundgarden CD ever released, bar SOMMS, which I can't find anywhere, and I have Audioslave's album along with their civilian demos. Cornell is without a doubt, my personal favourite frontman, from my personal favourite band of all time. I've even managed to get DBD to fall in love with them :P

I couldn't agree more with Cloudy more, Cornell is by far a better song-writer, guitarist, singer and overall performer than Hetfield.

the Foo Fighters are qualitylive

:\

Admittedly, I've not seen that many live performances by the Foos, but what I have heard is Grohl screaming. He seems like he forgot the words, so decided to just scream his way through. The ones I saw were quite old, so they might have been rare occurences, but I didn't think they were up to much live.

I'm surprised onl sycodmn mentioned Axl Rose, I'd have thought he would have a high place on this type of thing.

Anyway, I agree with George, althought I'm not sure whether Cornell is the best frontman, or my personal favourite.  He fucking rocks either way.  I've not managed to hear much from his solo album though, or Temple Of The Dog much to my chagrin.  I've heard Sunshower, Sweet Euphoria, Disappearing One and Moonchild.  Moonchild is definently my favourite of those, but I'll need to get the full CD before I pass judgement.  I do have every Soundgarden CD ever released, bar SOMMS, which I can't find anywhere, and I have Audioslave's album along with their civilian demos.  Cornell is without a doubt, my personal favourite frontman, from my personal favourite band of all time.  I've even managed to get DBD to fall in love with them :P

I couldn't agree more with Cloudy more, Cornell is by far a better song-writer, guitarist, singer and overall performer than Hetfield.

Okay, first for my two favourite contempary frontmen and some lyrics which I find mind blowing:

(Excluding rappers, pop musicians, electronic artists etc. Aiming for live bands here obviously)

Mikee from Sikth:

Sikth110.jpg

Yeah, I've seen your second face

What is your moral for today, is it still lies and trickery?

I don't understand why

This man has a thousand faces.

How can I put my trust in this presentation?

What is your little scheme today?

It was so cool before you came.

Sikth - Scent of the Obscene

Edited by fineintent

Jeff Buckley.

Jeff Buckley.

Jeff Buckley.

No one else comes close. I was tempted to say Morrissey, but even he falls miles behind.

Buckley was everything a frontman should be. He had the most amazing voice of any singer ever, he could sing almost any style of music (folk, blues, metal, punk, world...), he had a fantastic connection with the crowd, he had a brilliant sense of humour and wasn't afraid to poke fun at himself or any of his heroes or contempories (listen to any of his impressions of Morrissey, Tom Waits or Robert Plant), he had a mysterious quality and whilst it seemed like he was pouring his heart out with every performance, no one ever really figured out what made him tick, eveyr word he spoke or sang just dripped with sensuality and he was drop-dead gorgeous to top it all off.

No one comes close.