Best frontman of a band

Guest George

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno, but some reason I'm tempted to say Gordon Downie of The Tragically Hip. He has the most unique style and it works, going hand in hand with the equally the band's unique overall sound. Downie's lyrics and the way he projects them are something else as well, he can tell a story like few others can. Certainly not for everyone, but there is just something that makes me admire their style, Downie in particular. Maybe its a Canadian thing.

JSU006_RADIOHEAD_P.JPG

The morning bell

The morning bell

Had a null encounter

Release me

Release me

You can keep the furniture

A bump on the head

Howling down the chimney

Release me

Release me

Please

Release me

Release me

Where’d you park the car

Where’d you park the car

Clothes are all alone with the furniture

Now I might as well

I might as well

Sleepy jack the fire drill

Running around around around...

Cut the kids in half

Cut the kids in half

Cut the kids in half

I wanted to tell you but you never listened

You never understand

I wanted to tell you but you never listened

You never understand

Cos I’m walking walking walking...

The lights are on but nobody’s home

Everybody wants to be a

The lights are on but nobody’s home

Everybody wants to be a singer

Walking walking walking...

The lights are on but nobody’s at home

Everybody wants to be a

Everyone wants to be a friend

Nobody wants to be a singer

Walking walking walking...

Edited by Pepsi

biafra-jello.jpg

I'm definitely going to say Jello Biafra. Part of the reason I'm such a big fan of the Dead Kennedys, is because of Jello. His high pitched, shrill voice is a perfect compliment to the groups sometimes surfy, sometimes hardcore style of music. Another thing about Jello is that alot of his lyrics are written from the point of view of those he think's are the villian. By doing so, alot of songs he writes come off almost satirical.

Beyond the Dead Kennedys, Jello Biafra also founded the record label "Alternative Tentacle records". There have been a variety of different groups signed to Alternative Tentacles over the years, such as Lard (back by Jello's vocals) with Al Jorgensen and other members of Ministry. When you combine them, basically what you see is what you get, Jello's words and voice with the music of Ministry.

I'd also recommend picking up his album with Nomeansno, they really do nice a job of meshing with Jello. It almost sounds as if Nomeansno, and the Dead Kennedys were put into a blender and this was the result.

Jello from my understanding has also worked with D.O.A., and Mojo Nixon, and still releases spoken word albums.

Edited by VerbalPuke

I'm surprised onl sycodmn mentioned Axl Rose, I'd have thought he would have a high place on this type of thing.

Anyway, I agree with George, althought I'm not sure whether Cornell is the best frontman, or my personal favourite.  He fucking rocks either way.  I've not managed to hear much from his solo album though, or Temple Of The Dog much to my chagrin.  I've heard Sunshower, Sweet Euphoria, Disappearing One and Moonchild.  Moonchild is definently my favourite of those, but I'll need to get the full CD before I pass judgement.  I do have every Soundgarden CD ever released, bar SOMMS, which I can't find anywhere, and I have Audioslave's album along with their civilian demos.  Cornell is without a doubt, my personal favourite frontman, from my personal favourite band of all time.  I've even managed to get DBD to fall in love with them :P

I couldn't agree more with Cloudy more, Cornell is by far a better song-writer, guitarist, singer and overall performer than Hetfield.

I also think a few others such as Cobain and Layne Staley deserve honorable mention on my list. I forgot about them because Cobain killed himself 1 1/2 yrs before I started listening to Rock, and Alice in Chains only released that MTV Unplugged CD from the time I stopped listening to Hip-Hop/R & B. Looking back on my list, I guess I liked the majority of the Seattle based pioneers who spawned all of the "name" bands that came out in the late 90's and afterwards ie. Staind, Disturbed, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit etc.

Mine would be Liam Gallagher without a second thought. Of all the people I've seen live on stage nobody has ever really had the same presence - he just looks like he owns the stage. His voice is criticised by a lot of people I know, but I think it's good and suits the songs Oasis do perfectly. Again, I think he is an iconic figure, in the UK at least and although I've seen some other good frontmen I haven't seen anybody who I was as impressed with as I was and am with Liam Gallagher.

Plus his recent efforts at penning a song or two weren't too bad - just don't mention Little James.

Don't forget, I sent you those

No you didn't. I heard them from a friend with the album. I'm affronted that you think I'd bother with warez and such. Affronted says I.

Edited by Kaney

Guest Downloading_Man

For me there are only 2 men in the race:

Freddie Mercury

Liam Gallagher

Freddie was a brilliant songwriter, the greatest singer I have ever heard and a master showman too. I can't recall anyone entertaining a crowd more.

Also he saved Live Aid, as the show was going down the pan until he (+ the rest of Queen) stole the show.

Liam gets a lot of stick for his voice, but I think it suits the songs perfectly. Admittedly the songs are written around his voice (see: 'shine' being in most of Oasis' songs), and although many prefer Noel's versions, it just doesn't have that same 'magic' about it.

I know it was extremely rare but has anyone else heard Liam sing 'Don't look back in anger'? It was a live show (In 97-98 I think)...Noel was ill, so Liam sang it. It was awesome...far better than the Noel version (Which is a favourite of mine). The only problem is that I haven't heard him sing it before or since, so I doubt I'll ever be able to buy/download it.

Also as stated by supergrass Liam's song writing isn't too shabby either.

So, in my opinion Freddie edges it, but Liam is miles ahead of the next person.

Of all time, Freddy Mercury, I fucking love him (not enough to contract aids though). I'm not really a fan of any type of rock music anymore, but shit like Queen is genius, if only Brian May wasn't a complete faggot.

Edited by kaya

I'll also have to agree with the Axl & Freddie Mercury sentiments, and throw a new hat into the race - that is, Max Cavalera. Had some great stuff with pre-Roots Sepultura and the latest Soulfly album is superb.

real heavy metal isnt 'cool' anymore, if it ever was :P

Ever heard of the 80's? ;)

Edited by Cloudy

biafra-jello.jpg

I'm definitely going to say Jello Biafra. Part of the reason I'm such a big fan of the Dead Kennedys, is because of Jello. His high pitched, shrill voice is a perfect compliment to the groups sometimes surfy, sometimes hardcore style of music. Another thing about Jello is that alot of his lyrics are written from the point of view of those he think's are the villian. By doing so, alot of songs he writes come off almost satirical.

Beyond the Dead Kennedys, Jello Biafra also founded the record label "Alternative Tentacle records". There have been a variety of different groups signed to Alternative Tentacles over the years, such as Lard (back by Jello's vocals) with Al Jorgensen and other members of Ministry. When you combine them, basically what you see is what you get, Jello's words and voice with the music of Ministry.

I'd also recommend picking up his album with Nomeansno, they really do nice a job of meshing with Jello. It almost sounds as if Nomeansno, and the Dead Kennedys were put into a blender and this was the result.

Jello from my understanding has also worked with D.O.A., and Mojo Nixon, and still releases spoken word albums.