Best frontman of a band

Guest George

In my opinion, a frontman should have stage presence, amazing vocals, great writing ability and should have a really good look to them.

With that said, my top two choices would be Sebastian Bach of Skid Row, and Dani Filth of Cradle Of Filth.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh there are way too many :(

Here are a few though:

blind.jpg

Hansi Kursch - Blind Guardian

This guy is God. When he walks on stage, he OWNS people. They do what he tells them, WHEN he damn well tells them :P I'm sure he could get the crowd to sing the damn song for him most of the time (but then, they pretty much do anyway - just listen to the live version of Valhalla. Blind Guardian own you). His vocal range is awesome (even though he doesn't usually try the high stuff live), and his lyrics are great too. But like I said, his main asset is his stage presence/charisma. He OWNS.

band-flynn.jpg

Robert Flynn - Machinehead

I'd always known he was a great vocalist (yeah, most of the time he "just screams stuff", but he can actually sing too, unlike some people I could mention), but what I didn't know until last night is how damn great he is between songs :P

joacim_portrait.jpg

Joacim Cans - Hammerfall

Ok, he's only really here because he happens to be the lead singer of my favourite ever band, but still :P He's a good lyricist, and has a great voice (even if some people do think he sounds like a pre-teen sometimes :P). His voice is sorta a weird mix between being a powerful one, and an adolescent one :P It's awesome. It slices your ear drums and forces its way inside.

mainpic.jpg

Andy Dörner - Caliban

I'd never heard of them before they opened the show last night, but fucking hell...Dorner has more energy than your average Lucozade bottle :P I wouldn't say he was a greatest of all time or anything, but he's in my list of favourites.

In conclusion, Scandinavian/Western European Metal > You.

(And some American bands are ok too :P)

Edited by TheReilDeal

I also think a few others such as Cobain and Layne Staley deserve honorable mention on my list. I forgot about them because Cobain killed himself 1 1/2 yrs before I started listening to Rock, and Alice in Chains only released that MTV Unplugged CD from the time I stopped listening to Hip-Hop/R & B. Looking back on my list, I guess I liked the majority of the Seattle based pioneers who spawned all of the "name" bands that came out in the late 90's and afterwards ie. Staind, Disturbed, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit etc.

I'd echo Good, but I think he's a little too destructive to be a good frontman. He keeps eating his bands for breakfast.

Downie +++

I like Cornell, but I think you guys fawn over him a bit too much. Audioslave is crap and Cornell doesn't fit there at all, and I think that hurts him a bit in my eyes.

Axl Rose... :rolleyes:

And yeah, I won't even get started on Cradle of Crap. I'll throw my hat with Freddy Mercury and then everyone will die happy.

No offense, but neither guy fits all of your criteria. Bach doesn't have great writing ability as his solo stuff isn't all that great.

And Dani Filth doesn't have great vocals. I think he sucks.

Then again this is just my opinion so I'm not saying I'm right.

I'd say Freddie Mercury, Warren Haynes, Tim Owens, and Matt Barlow are better. But that's just me.

Edited by Gabriel

On the Sebastian Bach front, I love the guy to bits, and think he has great presence, a great 80s rock and roll lifestyle and a fantastic voice, but he just outright sucks as a writer. None of his solo stuff matches anything he did with Skid Row, Kid Wikkid or Madam X, all bands in which he didn't do the majority of the songwriting.

As for Cradle Of Filth, even to people who don't enjoy the music, Dani has an absolutely amazing voice and if he wasn't a posh midget he'd probably be higher in my list, but as it is I find it hard to take him entirely seriously.

I like Cornell, but I think you guys fawn over him a bit too much. Audioslave is crap and Cornell doesn't fit there at all, and I think that hurts him a bit in my eyes.

I don't fawn over Cornell, as much as I do Soundgarden as a whole. I only recently (very, very recently) heard Cornells own stuff, but it is pretty good. Sometimes I'd agree that Cornell is misplaced in Audioslave, but those are only very rare moments. I think he can work well there and makes up the better part of the 'supergroup', but then I'm biased :P

I don't fawn over Cornell, as much as I do Soundgarden as a whole. I only recently (very, very recently) heard Cornells own stuff, but it is pretty good. Sometimes I'd agree that Cornell is misplaced in Audioslave, but those are only very rare moments. I think he can work well there and makes up the better part of the 'supergroup', but then I'm biased :P

I agree with you on Audioslave (sidenote: check out Species 8472's cover of Shadow On The Sun, it's in a Celtic folk style and absolutely fantastic), but I find Cornell's solo material to be even better than Soundgarden, and count Euphoria Morning among my top 10 albums of all time.

Matt Barlow

Absolutely forgot about Barlow. He fit quite well in Iced Earth and had some chillingly good vocals, sucks that he more or less quit the music industry though.

blah di blah di blah....American rock bores the hell outta me

I'd have to say the same for the current trend in british music, wtf is up with all the indie bands? The Killers (albeit they *are* american, from las vegas) Muse and all that boring trite stuff, ugh. don't see how anyone can stand them.

Evan Karagias (¬_¬)

3 Count > *

I'm surprised there isn't an excess of Cobain worshipping in this topic :o

Alright here are the folk the I find worthy of the best frontman title.

revolverthursday.jpg

Geoff Rickly of Thursday

Now its time to wrap our fears in the night

And on the first day we'll dress this city in flames

After all the things you say

You hate me for being this way

Still you won't let go of old ideals

There is no headline to read at night

When the record slips and you're not holding the needle

We all sing the songs of separation

And we watch our lives bleed out through our hands

Thats how it was on the first day