WWE WrestleMania XXI

~The Missionary Guy~

November 23, 2004 - THQ has been quiet about WWE WrestleMania 21, offering no details on the upcoming online wrestler for Xbox. After months of begging, praying, and hoping for news, first details on WrestleMania 21 are finally available. Developed by Studio Gigante, who last brought Xbox owners Tao Feng, WrestleMania 21 is set to ship in early March, several weeks before WrestleMania 21 hits the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

Featuring motion-captured animations, voice-over and commentary from your favorite wrestlers, and four-player head-to-head online play, WrestleMania 21 sounds like the wrestling game Xbox owners have been dying for.

WrestleMania 21 introduces a pro-reversal system, which is an innovative countering system that utilizes a different counter for every attacking move. The story mode, which is just as important as the action in the ring, promises a unique character-building element enabling players to upgrade a star's appearance, abilities, entrance cinematic, costumes, and move-set.

Though there are few details available on the Xbox Live functionality, it has been revealed that WrestleMania 21 includes four-player head-to-head support with multiple match types and voice chat. While voice chat in any other type of fighter would seem like a nice add-in, being able to offer your own demonstrative statements to those you're about to smack down is essential for a great online wrestling game. To make the online battles more meaningful, Studio Gigante added a Create-A-Belt option. Design your own championship belt, then take it online. Defend your belt, build your prestige, and become an online legend.

Guest Bluesman

Can it be worse than Raw 2? Can it be any worse than Trish Stratus as the World Champ for months in our season, while we toil away without any title shots?

I'll at least rent it, however probably wait to buy it because of all the games I'm already getting for X-mas, and my current disinterest in wrestling.

Can it be worse than Raw 2? Can it be any worse than Trish Stratus as the World Champ for months in our season, while we toil away without any title shots?

I'll at least rent it, however probably wait to buy it because of all the games I'm already getting for X-mas, and my current disinterest in wrestling.

Guest Bluesman

Was it easier to get title shots with "real" wrestlers than created ones? We would have our superstar points (or whatever they were) maxed out, and go MONTHS without a title shot.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok. Right now, we've got an initial roster size of 45. Sounds pretty small, but that seems to be the new trend, so meh.

So far, we've got:

Andre the Giant

Triple H

Randy Orton

Christian

Undertaker

HBK

The Rock (1997 version)

Rey Mysterio

Teddy Long

Spike Dudley

The Hurricane

Plus,

King

JR

Why doesn't anyone have hopes for this? Sure Raw and Raw 2 sucked, but it's not being developed by the same people. Hopefully that means a complete overhaul on the engine and such, it's a fresh start.

Yeah, but now it's being developed by the people who did Tao Feng, which is one of the worst fighting games in years. Plus, it has the THQ hype machine behind it which is nothing but a constant barrage of half-truths, unfulfilled promises, and disappointments. I tried my damndest to give THQ another chance after Here Comes the Pain was actually decent but of course they follow it up with Smackdown vs. RAW and move the series backwards. Fucking stupid.