Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs

ROC

For a link to all 500 of them (it would take a bit to post all the songs) click here.

Pretty decent list, really. I'm not so game for "Hey Ya", "Lose Yourself", and especially "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (at its spot) being placed on the list and "November Rain" by GnR being absent, but it still is a decent enough list.

Bah! Here's one to ten.

1. Like a Rolling Stone by Bob Dylan

2. (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction by The Rolling Stones

3. Imagine by John Lennon

4. What’s Going On by Marvin Gaye

5. Respect by Aretha Franklin

6. Good Vibrations by The Beach Boys

7. Johnny B. Goode by Chuck Berry

8. Hey Jude by The Beatles

9. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana

10. What’d I Say by Ray Charles

Edited by TheROC-Revolt

Guest Ringmaster

Its seems like a token list. Over mainstream magazines release pretty much the same list every now and then, just shift stuff around.

Don't know that I agree with most of the top 500 though :shifty:.

Are they going for the impact the songs had when they were released, or how good the guitars, lyrics, etc. are?

Because if it's about the latter, Smells Like Teen Spirit should be no-where near the Top 10.

But if the list is made by the impact the song had, I guess I could see why it's there.

Guest Ringmaster

Then again, considering Rolling Stone is considered the biggest magazine covering the music industry, many would classify it as say "more important" than say Blender's lists (which are pretty crap).

Are they going for the impact the songs had when they were released, or how good the guitars, lyrics, etc. are?

Because if it's about the latter, Smells Like Teen Spirit should be no-where near the Top 10.

But if the list is made by the impact the song had, I guess I could see why it's there.

I just like the fact that Rolling Stone magazines top two are Like a Rolling Stone and a song by the Rolling Stones.

Waterloo Sunset by the Kinks needs to be waaay higher that 40-odd.

Edit: Just spent a while hunting down the first English Indie-ie tune, praying for the best, and BAM! Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division, 179.

Second Edit: New Order 20 places below!

Edited by Colly

Guest Bluesman

I honestly gave up on RS about two years ago. I was a faithfull reader since the early 90s. They honestly became shit reviewers, only focus on crap and just generally suck and fail at life.

I honestly gave up on RS about two years ago. I was a faithfull reader since the early 90s. They honestly became shit reviewers, only focus on crap and just generally suck and fail at life.

My dad gave up on the reviews, but still tries to read when he can (his wholesome Catholic town tries keeping them out of the library). Some of their current event/political stuff can be interesting...however, nothing can make up for their "greatest guitarists" list :angry:

Edited by TheROC-Revolt

I think they chose Hey Jude cause of the impact it made to the radio.. before it.. radio stations hated playing songs over 3 minutes long

and ROC-Revolt has a good point.. Hey Jude is the only Beatles song Paul plays anymore.. and pigs fly

Guest Ringmaster

My dad gave up on the reviews, but still tries to read when he can (his wholesome Catholic town tries keeping them out of the library). Some of their current event/political stuff can be interesting...however, nothing can make up for their "greatest guitarists" list :angry:

and ROC-Revolt has a good point.. Hey Jude is the only Beatles song Paul plays anymore.. and pigs fly

But that isn't a good point. Strawberry Fields was a John Lennon song and it was a better song than Hey Jude. This is a "500 GREATEST Songs" list, and therefore the best Beatles songs should be higher up than the ones that weren't as good.

But that isn't a good point. Strawberry Fields was a John Lennon song and it was a better song than Hey Jude. This is a "500 GREATEST Songs" list, and therefore the best Beatles songs should be higher up than the ones that weren't as good.

Edited by fultie