Beastie Boys Are The Greatest(FormallyMyLifeSucks)

K

Just kidding, it rocks. All your jealousy are belong to me.

Straight after work tonight, I get the train over to wembley stadium for the Beastie Boys. Score~

This was the set for Glasglow the other night.

Super DIsco Breakin'

Root Down

Sure Shot

Triple Trouble

Unite

All Life Styles

Egg Man

Pass The Mic

Shake Your Rump

Mix Master Mike Interlude

Sabrosa

Lighten Up

Something's Got To Give

An Open Letter To NYC

Body Movin'

Paul Revere

Right Right Now Now

Three MC's And One DJ

Brass Monkey

Ch-Check It Out

ENCORE:

So What'cha Want

Intergalactic

Gratitude

Sabotage

I am awesome.

No Fight for Your Right?!

That's like going to AC/DC and not getting You Shook Me All Night Long!

It's like seeing Ozzy and no Crazy Train....

It's like going to a strip club to watch Baseball and not the girls....

It's like (Endless stream of analogies.....)

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

IMO Fight for your Right is the beastie boys worst song, its just the only song that non-beastie boys fans know them for.

Intergalactic is where its at.

Holy fucking shit, that rocked so hard.

Best thing EVER.

Between songs, they played little you've been framed-like clips. (America might be called something else 'Show me the funny' or 'Worlds funniest camcorder clips' or something)

The first one, the VERY first one they showed was catberg.

I'm not kidding. It was hilarious. I laughed so hard.

The opening act was the biggest pile of wank I've ever heard, some rapper. Who was like twenty, but made fun of the people born in the eighties? Then started talking about the beastie boys and how they're a rock band, and that's why the audience didn't appreciate him as a rapper? I dunno, I wasn't listening. he sucked ass though, he kept saying his name apparently so we would run out and by his CD. nope. never. (His DJ was awesome though DJ Chaz or something)

Then they did a little skit like the beginning of 3MC's + 1DJ, with mix master mike waking up and working his way to the stage, saying hello to people before setting up.

He got to stage and damn, that man is a god. The noise coming from his fingers was unnatural, I don't know how he did it. Next pay check, I'm getting his two albums. It was insane.

Then the beasties came on, performed some of the hip hop stuff, opened with Egg Man (Which I now have a new found appreciation for, I mean it was always good.. now it''s wow)

So they're playing, and it's the best experience ever cause it's real and they're just out there having a good time. It's hard to explain, but some bands go out there to perform, Beasties went out and had a laugh, so it was fun to watch.

Anyway I bought me a T-Shirt from the legit merc stand and a poster from the bootleggers outside.

Best show ever,

I was just reading up on Mix Master Mike (He stole the show, honestly I'm in awe)

Found this oldish article that desribes the experience perfectly.

The man who supplanted DJ Hurricane as the Beastie Boys resident record selector stormed through Toronto's Opera House on Aug. 7, a rainy summer Saturday. In a performance highlighted by lightning quick cross-fader work and thunderous beat juggling, Mixmaster Mike roared in and out of the Megacity with reckless abandon. His wake was marked by shredded vinyl and blown minds.

Master Mike was born and raised in San Francisco, where he grew up to the sounds of his uncles' record collections-- shelves and large boxes teeming with platters of '70s stuff, mostly funk. In 1984, at age 14, Mike met hip hop through the art of b-boying and, as he says in an imusic.com article, it captured his heart.

Originally a crew called F-M-2-O, that spent hours practicing turntable techniques, the Invisible Scratch Pickles popped onto the West Coast scene in the late '80s. The Bay Area-based turntablist click made up of Mike, Q-Bert, Shortkut, Apollo, Disk, and now Canadian teen sensation A-Track strays from conventional blends and cuts. They manipulate mixing hardware to create pure, original music.

The ISP were so dominant that they virtually owned global mixing competitions in the mid-90s. Mixmaster Mike set a record with four world titles in three

years. In 92, he was NMS World Champion and DMC USA and World Champion (with Q-Bert and Apollo). In '93 and '94 Mike and Q-Bert again claimed DMC world crowns, forcing them to retire from all DMC competitions from '95 onwards. Mixmaster Mike, known to the ISP as Obi-Wan (Q is Yoda), aided in the founding of the International Turntablist Federation (ITF), an organization which holds an annual mix-off and is a strong advocate for the turntable as instrument. The ISPs are also working closely with Vestax to develop advanced DJ equipment.

Mixmaster Mike, 29, is a veteran. First inspired by the legendary Grandmaster D.S.T., the Triple-M has gone on to tour in such diverse locales as Beirut, Warsaw, and Australia, like he did in '96. Last summer was a busy one for Mike, as he released his debut full-length and was featured heavily on the Beasties' multi-platinum Hello Nasty album and summer tour. Anti-Theft Device is a groundbreaking 31-track composition piece; a challenging, spaced-out, multi-layered exercise in turntablism.

His 50-minute live performance this evening is less abstract but just as intricate. Mike walks on stage before a packed house (comprised mostly of apparent Beastie fans) in a gold California basketball jersey, says 'Wassup Toronto' and  lets his hands do the rest of the talking.

The man does not play records; he rips them to shreds. From crate to table, table to crate, he moves with purpose, head nodding all the while. He only pauses to wipe his dripping brow with a fleecy towel. With fingers quicker than a pickpocket's, Mike flares and transforms stacks of breakbeats. Effortlessly, he beat juggles selections from Busta Rhymes, Kool Keith, and Q-Bert's Wave Twisters. He switches up pitch, music type, and volume at whim. At times he even plays records like a drum set, pounding out rhythms and building up tempo until the beats crash into crescendos. Then he does the unthinkable. Mixmaster creates a rhythm by repeatedly picking up the needle and dropping in back on the platter. He slaps one record with both hands like a bongo player with a soft touch, tweaking sounds that way.

It's an unrelenting, jaw-dropping tornado of a performance. Without headphones. Without one body trick. Mike has been dubbed the Jimmy Page of turntablists. Page should be flattered.

After a quick encore, MMM thanks the crowd and skips off the stage. Like the man he replaced, Mike is a hurricane leaving as rapidly as he arrives, but wrecking intensely the whole time he's present.

Guest Ringmaster

I saw them last month, and yes, Mix Master Mike > *. His fingers were unbelievably fast. The show was opened by Talib Kweli who wasn't bad, but kinda stale. This is the set they played:

All Life Styles

Root Down

Sure Shot

The New Style

Triple Trouble

Flute Loop

Pass the Mic

Super Disco Breakin

Egg Man

Shake Your Rump

MMM Interlude

Sabrosa