AWA 90'

I'm enjoying this, and the backstage repartee with Eric Bischoff makes it extra fun. Two oversights, though: one minor, one major.

- Minor: everyone in the back would know who former AWA champion Curt Hennig was. He worked for them back before the WWF came calling (teaming with Scott Hall for quite some time), and his father Larry similarly worked for Gagne.

- Major: No way in hell would Col. DeBeers ever associate with Mr. Hughes in that way. DeBeers' entire gimmick, IIRC, was that he was a South African militant who embodied apartheid. As such, unless Hughes is to remain DeBeers' absolute subordinate, he would never agree (in character) to working with a "coloured" man (note: that's a technical term in South Africa.)

Other than that, loving it. Valentine/Zbyszko for the next Superclash!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know about the Hennig history and this turned into a debate when I posted it on EWBIII. I wrote it poorly and it came across as if the writers didn't know who he was.

I honestly could not remember the DeBeers character, which is why I just went with a standard Colonel as opposed to a South African militant. Hughes is subserviant to him, so hopefully this doesn't come off too bad. Damn you historian Dukes. :-P

Meeting Room

July 23rd, 1990

"I've called both of you here to inform you of my decision...to walk away from the wrestling business."

My heart immediately sank and I lost all ability to speak. I had been in AWA for a long time and I had seen a lot of things transpire, but never did I expect this man to be walking away. This man, who many dubbed the future of wrestling with all of his revolutionary ideas. Yet here he was, telling us that he's done. I looked at Verne Gagne, who seemingly had the same thoughts going through his head. Then I looked at the man who had just shocked us, Eric Bischoff.

Sophie: What do you mean you're walking away Eric?

Eric Bischoff: You know how I felt after Superclash. I should have been happy, but I wasn't, I just looked at all the negative things I could find.

Sophie: Yea, but you're supposed to stay here and make them better next time.

Eric Bischoff: My heart just isn't into wrestling.

Gagne cleared his throat, deciding that now was the time to make his voice heard.

Verne Gagne: Did JR make an offer?

JR, of course, was JR Foley, who since starting WCW had been throwing money around. Jimmy Hart was running things for him, but adding a guy like Bischoff would easily put them at the next level. Not to mention, they'd be in direct competition with us.

Eric Bischoff: There's no other offers Verne.

Verne Gagne: That's Mr. Gagne. You lost the chance to call me Verne when you betrayed my trust in you.

That had to sting and Bischoff didn't know what to say next.

Verne Gagne: Just a few months ago, you sat in my office and you convinced me to put my company, my life...in your hands. And now you're telling me that you want out? I oughta knock you on your-

Gagne stopped himself in mid-sentence, standing up at the table. I stood up as well, but only to calm Mr. Gagne, helping him sit back down.

Eric Bischoff: I understand your point Mr. Gagne, but at least I'm being honest.

Sophie: What are you trying to get out of this meeting Eric? Why not just resign and leave?

Eric Bischoff: Because I wanted to let Mr. Gagne know that I'm recommending you to become my placement.

My eyes opened wide with surprise, but quickly relaxed once Mr. Gagne made his perspective known.

Verne Gagne: No way.

Just like that, he shattered my hopes. He turned to me, looking at me with those eyes that I knew were filled with caring thoughts.

Verne Gagne: Look Soph, I love you like a daughter, but there's no way a female can run a show. The boys would never go for it. That's why I'm going to let Greg have control.

I opened my mouth to respond, but didn't need to. Eric took care of it for me.

Eric Bischoff: Sir, with all due respect...there's a better chance of the boys responding to Sophie than to Greg. Frankly, they think of Greg as nothing more than the son of Verne Gagne.

Verne didn't seem overly surprised by this statement, he was just waiting for someone to actually be bold enough to say it. I guess with Eric leaving, his courage had finally grown. Verne looked at Eric, then back to me.

Verne Gagne: You understand that if I give you control, your every move will be monitored? The second I think things are out of control, then I'm stepping in.

I nodded my head, not wanting to actually say anything and risk blowing what was becoming my big chance. Verne pondered this in his head, maybe trying to convince himself. Apparently, it worked because he extended his hand to me and I gladly shook it.

Verne Gagne: Congratulations.

Verne also stood and shook Eric's hand.

Verne Gagne: I know it was hard to say, but you did it. Good luck son.

Eric Bischoff: Thank you sir.

Verne started to walk out, but I had to stop him.

Sophie: Mr. Gagne, just one more thing...

Verne Gagne: Yes?

Sophie: Well, Eric was our head announcer...

Verne Gagne: I'll take care of that. You just get yourself settled in.

With that, Mr. Gagne walked away, leaving me alone with Eric.

Sophie: I don't know what to say....

Eric stopped me.

Eric Bischoff: You don't have to say anything. But thank you Sophie. You made my job easier and really, you deserve this more than I did.

Eric extended his hand and I gladly shook it.

Sophie: So where do you go now?

Eric Bischoff: The only place I've ever really wanted to be....Hollywood.

Eric flashed his brilliant smile and I knew that wherever he went, he'd make it. And as for me, my journey was just getting started.

All Star Wrestling

July 28th, 1990

All Star Wrestling opens up not with the usual announce team, but rather Greg "The Hammer" Valentine standing in the middle of the ring, mic in hand.

Greg "The Hammer" Valentine: Larry Zbysko!

Valentine pauses, trying to create as much drama as possible.

Greg "The Hammer" Valentine: I played along with your game and I beat that big son of a gun Magnus Vaara and now I'm claiming what's rightfully mine...the shot at the AWA World Title!

The fans erupt, hoping Valentine finally does get what he wants. Valentine opens his mouth to continue, but before he does, Larry Zbysko's music hits and the World Champion emerges from the back. He's greeted with the usual amount of boos and just shrugs them off, looking at Valentine with a smile.

Larry Zbysko: This title's what you've been after since day one, right?

Hammer nods his head and Zbysko continues.

Larry Zbysko: I'll give you a shot Valentine, but just one. Tonight, you'll get the World Title match you've wanted but after tonight, you're done. You go to the bottom of the list and you go through every single wrestler on this roster before we even think about another title match for you. One time only Valentine, right here tonight.

Hammer thinks this over, but only for a moment.

Greg "The Hammer" Valentine: Legend, as long as that there belt is on the line, all I need is one shot. Tonight, I'll show you why they call me the Hammer...because I hit em harder than anyone else in the business.

Valentine drops the mic and the crowd pops at the announcement that they're going to get a World Title match tonight! Zbysko is still smiling as he makes his way to the back and the cameras finally settle in on the announce crew...but it's not Eric Bischoff and Johnny Valiant. Johnny's there, but he's next to the son of Verne Gagne, Greg Gagne!

Greg Gagne: Wow, things are definately more intense up here, aren't they Johnny?

Johnny Valiant: Kid, you can call me Mr. Valiant until otherwise noted. And yea, things are more intense up here, I figured you remember that from your time in the ring.

Greg Gagne: Oh. Right.

Gagne clears his throat in an uncomfortable silence.

Greg Gagne: Well, as you can see, Eric Bischoff is no longer with the company. He chose to pursue other career paths and we wish the best to him. Who knows, maybe being up here with you is what drove him away, aye Johnny?

Johnny Valiant: That's Mr. Valiant and anyone would be grateful to be next to me in the announce booth...especially you.

Greg Gagne: An honor indeed Mr. Valiant. We know now that Greg Valentine will be taking on Larry Zbysko in the main event, but our first match of the night, just as soon as we get back, will feature Enigma taking on the unpredictable John Nord! We'll be right back here on All Star Wrestling!

Johnny Valiant doesn't seem like the happiest guy as the show fades to commercial.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

Enigma vs. John Nord

John Nord comes out, stopping in the entranceway to pound himself in the chest and yell out to the fans, who respond to his emotional display. Nord slides in the ring and the bell rings. Enigma comes at him with a spinkick, but Nord ducks it. Nord pulls Enigma down by the head, then drives his knees into Enigma's upper body. Nord pulls Enigma to his feet. Nord sends Enigma into the ropes, then tries to lift Enigma high into the air, but Enigma twists his body in mid-air and turns it into a dropkick, knocking Nord back. Nord bounces gently off the ropes and walks right into a spinkick from Enigma! Enigma makes the cover, but Nord kicks out at two. Enigma heads up to the second turnbuckle and comes off with a crossbody that Nord saw coming. Nord plants Enigma into the mat, then watches as he slowly gets to his feet right next to the ropes. Nord charges, looking to clothesline Enigma over the top. Enigma grabs the top rope and falls to the mat, causing Nord to go flying to the outside! Enigma doesn't stop there, backing up and diving through the middle ropes, knocking Nord into the guardrail with the impact! The fans are going crazy, not used to this kind of up close action in AWA. Enigma grabs Nord, but Nord reverses the irish whip and sends Enigma tumbling into the ringsteps, which don't budge and instead create a hard impact for the masked man. Nord, already on his knees, reaches under the ring and emerges with the two by four held high in the air! The fans are on their feet and Nord lines up Enigma. He swings, but Enigma ducks and Nord hits the steel pole, nearly shattering the two by four. Enigma picks it up off the ground and when Nord charges, Enigma drives one end of the wood into his midsection, then brings it down on his back, knocking Nord to the ground. Enigma lays the wood across the chest of Nord, then climbs up to the ring apron. He comes off with a legdrop, driving what's left of the two by four into the chest of Nord! The fans are going nuts with this action and Enigma rolls Nord into the ring. Enigma climbs up top, hitting the moonsault and hooking the leg for an instant three count.

Winner: Enigma

After the match, Nord laid in the ring for a moment before slowly getting to his feet, clutching his midsection and chest, red with marks from the impact of the blows. Nord motioned for a mic and was given one. In between deep breaths, he managed to get out what he wanted to say.

John Nord: I may have....*breath*....lost tonight....*breath*....but I will continue....*breath*....to do whatever....*breath*....I have to do....*breath*....to entertain you fans!

Nord drops the mic and drops to the mat, rolling outside while the fans applaud his efforts.

Greg Gagne: John Nord hasn't seemed quite like himself lately. It's as if he's a changed man.

Johnny Valiant: His actions are that of a desperate man. The two by four, the dangerous moves, but will it all be too much in the end?

Greg Gagne: His actions at Superbrawl VI upset Scott Norton so much that AWA officials asked Norton to not be here this evening because they were afraid of what he might do.

Johnny Valiant: Norton should just move on. Do not let this John Nord guy hold you down anymore Norton.

Greg Gagne: We've still got four great matches tonight, including Larry Zbysko defending against Greg Valentine in a one-time only match! We'll be right back!

Valiant still doesn't seem happy as the scene fades to commercial.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

Bam Bam Bigelow d. Marc Mero

Marc Mero bounces around the ring, staring at Bigelow who stands still with his arms crossed, waiting for the bell. Once it rings, Mero leaps forward, trying to box Bigelow. Mero reaches out with a left jab and Bigelow knocks him down with a clothesline. Mero gets pulled up by Bigelow, who doesn't look to be in a messing around mood. He drives his head into the head of Mero, then repeats it causing Mero to stumble back. Bigelow lifts Mero vertically, then drills him head first with a piledriver. Bigelow goes for the pin, but doesn't get the three yet. Bigelow sends Mero into the ropes, but Mero avoids a clothesline and tries to roll Bigelow up with a school boy. Bigelow proves to be too strong and instead squashes Mero with a standing samoan drop. Bigelow hooks the leg, but still only gets the two count. Mero struggles, trying to get to his feet while Bigelow plots his next move. Bigelow knocks him down with a forearm, then bounces off the ropes, stepping forward slowly with a falling headbutt. Mero moves and Bigelow headbutts the canvas. Mero still gets up slowly, no quicker than Bigelow himself. Mero with a dropkick to the shoulder of Bigelow, then starts bouncing again. This time he connects with a left jab and then a quick right. Mero with a blow to the midsection of Bigelow, bending him over, then goes behind Bigelow, climbing up to the second turnbuckle. He leaps off attempting a bulldog, but Bigelow stands his ground and Mero lands seatfirst on the mat. Bigelow grabs Mero by the head, bending it back, perhaps for a reverse DDT. Instead, he lifts Mero into the air, then drives the back of his head down to the mat! Bigelow stands, ready to end the match but catches sight of Masa Saito standing in the entranceway. Bigelow stares for a minute, then goes back to the action, climbing the outside of the turnbuckles, placing one foot on the top. He leaps off, landing the diving headbutt, then makes the cover and picks up the win.

Winner: Bam Bam Bigelow

Bam Bam gets to his feet, then points at Saito, motioning for him to get in the ring. Saito just stares at Bigelow and makes it obvious that there's a lot of emotion between these two but nobody seems to know why. Bigelow can slightly be heard saying something about this not being Japan, not the first time he's made mention of that. Saito backs up through the entrance.

Greg Gagne: What do you make of this whole "not in Japan" statement from Bigelow?

Johnny Valiant: It's not the first time he's mentioned it, but he hasn't said anything more.

Greg Gagne: Obviously something happened between these two in Japan...

Johnny Valiant: And next week, I'm going to find out what. Somehow, I am going to get Bam Bam Bigelow to tell me what this is all about.

Greg Gagne: You heard it here first! Our own Johnny-

Valiant's head snaps around to face Gagne.

Greg Gagne: Sorry. Our own Mr. Valiant will get to the bottom of this next week, right here on All Star Wrestling!

Valiant rolls his eyes as the next commercial break rolls.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

The show comes back from commercial and Greg Gagne is seen talking to a fan. Valiant taps him on the shoulder and he turns to the camera.

Greg Gagne: And we're back! It's been a good night but we still have a World Title match to come when Larry Zbysko defends against Greg "The Hammer" Valentine!

Johnny Valiant: Such a good night that you can't keep your eyes off the ring, right Gagne?

Greg Gagne: *ahem* Right. At Superclash VI, Trooper emerged with the title, but not with the win and I'm hearing that it's eating him alive. He wanted to beat DeBeers, not just escape with the belt.

Johnny Valiant: Well, I can guarantee DeBeers isn't happy about it either. And he's probably not happy that Trooper's giving someone else a title shot right now either.

Trooper vs. Chris Adams

Chris Adams still getting a decent reaction from the crowd, but nothing like The Trooper who is immensely over with the fans. The two locked up and Trooper went behind Adams, who reversed it, then got taken over by Trooper. Adams held onto Trooper's arm and took him over. Both men emerged facing each other on their feet, but instead of a friendly showdown, Adams slapped Trooper across the mouth, then took him down with a side suplex, standing up and patting himself on the back, prompting an eruption of boos from the fans. Adams pulls Trooper to his feet, connecting with a reverse atomic drop, followed shortly by a standing reverse neckbreaker. Adams rolls Trooper over, going for the pin, but Trooper kicks out at two. Adams extends Trooper's arm on the mat, then raises himself into the air, coming down with both knees into the upper arm of the North American champ. Adams repeats this two more times, trying to take away Trooper's shoulderblock. Adams pulls Trooper up by the arm, then drives his shoulder into Trooper's. Adams walks Trooper over to the ropes, extending the arm over the top and using the rope for leverage. Adams, showing how methodical he can be, puts Trooper's arm behind his back, then looks for a slam, but Trooper gets out of it and rolls Adams up for a quick two count! Adams gets to his feet quickly and tries to kick Trooper, who rolls out of the way. Trooper to his feet and ducks a right hand from Adams. Trooper with a reverse DDT! Trooper's got the crowd on their feet now as he heads up to the top. Adams gets up early though and he climbs up with Trooper. Both men on the top rope now, battling it out. Adams goes for a superplex, but in mid-air, Trooper turns it into a crossbody and lands on top of Adams, hooking the leg and getting the three count!

Winner: The Trooper

Trooper gets to his feet, grabbing the North American Title and raising it up high. The celebration's cut short though when he sees a group of people coming through the entranceway. Upon closer inspection, it's a bunch of backstage folks trying to hold back Col. DeBeers and Cpl. Hughes from getting to the ring. Trooper doesn't make things easier on the bunch. He drops the title and slides out of the ring, trying just as hard to get to the Colonel as the Colonel's trying to get to Trooper. Security and backstage employees are all out there, trying to keep these men apart but they want a piece of each other bad. The scene fades to commercial with both men trying unsuccessfully to get at each other.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

Ken Patera vs. The Nightstalker

Ken Patera is held back by Scott Ledoux as he tries to attack Nightstalker early. Once the bell rings though, Patera charges and goes buckwild on Nightstalker with wild right hands. He's so out of control that he's not hitting anything square. Nightstalker shoves Patera back, then grabs him when he charges again, tossing him face first into the corner. Nightstalker rams Patera's face into the top turnbuckle repeatedly. Nightstalker lifts Patera into the air, this time dropping him face first on the top turnbuckle and watching as his head snaps back and he falls to the mat. Nightstalker drops down to one knee, then starts driving right hands into the forehead of Patera until Ledoux manages to pull him off. Patera gets up to his feet, but Nightstalker remains in control, driving his shoulder into the back of Patera twice. Nightstalker sends Patera into the ropes, but Patera ducks a clothesline from Nightstalker then takes Nightstalker down with a clothesline of his own! Patera with another running clothesline and he's building momentum. Nightstalker gets to his feet, but only to recieve a scoop slam from Patera, who goes for the pin and barely even gets a two. Patera sends Nightstalker into the corner, following in with a clothesline that sandwiches Nightstalker in the corner. Patera hooks Nightstalker, delivering a spinning belly to belly suplex, planting him in the middle of the ring and this time getting a more convincing two, but still just a two count. Patera taps his forearm, then waits for Nightstalker to get up. Patera charges, looking for a running forearm, but Nightstalker got his boot up instead and knocked Patera clean off his feet. Nightstalker turned Patera upside down, hanging him in the corner ala the tree of woe. Nightstalker looked outside to Ox Baker, then turned and charged, driving his knee into Patera so hard that Patera flipped off the corner and fell to the mat, struggling to catch his breath. Nightstalker signalled for the powerbomb, but Patera managed to turn that into a back body drop! Nightstalker gets up and Patera charges, taking him down with a charging forearm that connects perfectly with Nightstalker's forehead! Patera makes the cover and Nightstalker kicks out...just a split moment after Ledoux's hand came down for the three count!

Winner: Ken Patera

Patera wanted nothing else to do with the Nightstalker, so he slid out of the ring quickly, backing his way up the aisle and to the curtains.

Greg Gagne: Smart move by Patera, who quickly gets backstage, but Ox Baker is furious with the Nightstalker.

Johnny Valiant: Nightstalker's furious with himself as well. Losses don't sit well with those two and I'd expect it to be avenged sooner or later.

Greg Gagne: Well, it's been a tremendous night of action and up next, our fifth match of the evening, the main event, Larry Zbysko and Greg Valentine...for the World Title!

Johnny Valiant: This one's gonna be good.

Greg Gagne: It's up next folks, right here on All Star Wrestling!

Scene fades to the final commercial.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

Greg Valentine vs. Larry Zbysko

Larry Zbysko came out first, unusual for the champ, and stood in the ring, ready to go. Greg Valentine slowly made his way up the aisle, staring at Zbysko, visualizing the match in his head, preparing mentally for what was about to transpire. He stepped up onto the apron, disrobing before stepping through the ropes. Bob Densmore showed him the World Title and then the bell rang. The two combatants circled each other, feeling each other out, and then Larry Zbysko rolled out of the ring. Valentine looked at Zbysko, then at Densmore, trying to figure out what was going on. Zbysko went over to the timekeeper and grabbed the World Title, holding it at Valentine. Zbysko started backing up the aisleway, pointing at Valentine, then the belt, then telling Valentine this was his only shot. Bob Densmore, meanwhile, had no choice but to count the champion out as he reached the curtains.

Winner: Greg Valentine

Densmore raised Valentine's hand, but Zbysko raised the belt as All Star Wrestling faded to black.

Quick Results

Enigma d. John Nord

Match Reaction = 22.2%

Match Quality = 70.4%

Overall Rating = 54.2%

Bam Bam Bigelow d. Marc Mero

Match Reaction = 26.0%

Match Quality = 63.0%

Overall Rating = 56.0%

Trooper d. Chris Adams

Match Reaction = 26.0%

Match Quality = 63.1%

Overall Rating = 46.5%

Ken Patera d. Nightstalker

Match Reaction = 32.0%

Match Quality = 68.2%

Overall Rating = 58.3%

Overall: 47.6%

Sophie's Office

Post All Star Wrestling on July 28th, 1990

"You're damn right I'm upset Sophie."

The fury in Johnny's eyes was eminent, but there wasn't anything I could do. I couldn't blame him for being upset, he was stuck with an amateur, but it's not like I could tell Verne that I wanted his own son out. I looked up at Johnny with my most sympathetic eyes, then kicked the chair out, hoping he'd sit down. He did and finally seemed to be calming.

Sophie: I know it's a pain, but he's the Owner's kid, he's gonna have some privelages. You're one of the best around Johnny, I need you out there.

His lack of response left me worried.

Sophie: Look at it like a challenge, make him become better.

Johnny stood up, but made sure to mumble something just loud enough for me to hear before he left.

Johnny Valiant: Eric wouldn't have let this happen.

With that, he was gone and I knew he wasn't alone in his thinking. The boys liked Eric, they trusted him, and more than anything, they respected him. Taking orders from a woman in a male dominated industry was demasculating and I knew things would be hard, but the comments weren't going to drive me away. I had to stand my ground. I had to....my thoughts were lost when Billy Robinson tapped on my door and stepped in.

Billy Robinson: Miss Lane, do you have a moment?

Always so polite, it was a pleasure to see him.

Sophie: Sure Billy, what's on your mind?

He took a seat, followed by a deep breath.

Sophie: Just spit it out Billy...

Billy Robinson: WCW offered me a contract today.

Sophie: Oh.

A calculated strike from the opposition. Billy was a very talented wrestler, but he wasn't a guy we were willing to break the bank for. In WCW, he could definately grow into a star, but as I looked at the paper he just slid across my desk, I knew we weren't going to match the offer. Not for a guy who doesn't fit into our plans right now.

Sophie: That's a good offer. I'm sorry Billy, but that's not an offer we can match right now.

Billy nodded his head, but didn't seem happy.

Sophie: I know you like it here Billy and we love having you around, but this is a good deal for you. Plus, you have history with JR and you know he'll treat you right.

Billy Robinson: I suppose you're right Miss Lane, I just really enjoyed being here.

Sophie: Well, you're not done yet. We'll get you in that ring before you leave, sort of an AWA send-off.

Billy Robinson: That'd be really nice Miss Lane.

Sophie: Billy, please, it's Sophie.

Billy nodded his head and smiled. I looked at the offer from WCW again and I knew we were losing a good guy to have around. Thankfully, I didn't have long to think because the phone rang, forcing me to put my mind elsewhere.

Sophie: This is Sophie....well hey there!....Yea, it's true, I'm the head honcho now....Haha, yea....as a matter of fact, I just had a roster spot open up....You know the address, right?....I look forward to it....alright, I'll see ya then.

It's funny how things manage to work themselves out.

All Star Wrestling

August 4th, 1990

Larry Zbysko putting a boston crab on Masa Saito at Superclash V. The Trooper raising the North American Title. Nightstalker powerbombing Al Snow. Magnus Vaara lifting the massive Gary Albright in the torture rack. The images of AWA flash across the screen one by one, stirring memories in the minds of fans everywhere. Finally, Vaara fades away and the words "All Star Wrestling" appear. They crumble away into Greg Gagne and Johnny Valiant sitting ringside. Before Gagne can get a word out, the methodical drums of Larry Zbysko's entrance are heard, followed soon by the champion stepping through the curtains, stopping and raising his hands in a confident manner to the hostile crowd.

Greg Gagne: Larry Zbysko, after his....successful, for lack of a better word, defense last week is on his way out Johnny!

Johnny Valiant: Kid, if I have to tell you one more-

Greg Gagne: -Sorry, Mr. Valiant.

Johnny Valiant: That's better. And yes, the champion is making his way down. No doubt to gloat about the victory over Greg Valentine last week.

Greg Gagne: Hardly a well earned victory though.

Johnny Valiant: But a victory is a victory and a champion is a champion. That man right there is our champion.

Larry Zbysko steps through the ropes and into the ring, walking around slowly with a smile on his face before being handed the microphone and addressing the crowd.

Larry Zbysko: What you saw last week was quite simply, a stroke of genius. I can't take all the credit though. It all started at Superclash VI when I watched The Trooper get counted out against Col. DeBeers but yet still walk away with the North American title. Then it hit me...I can get rid of Valentine and keep my belt, all without breaking a sweat. The perfect plan, right? It sure worked out that way. Valentine, all you've wanted since arriving in AWA was the World Title. They brought you into take this belt, they sent you straight to the top, and you've made it your goal. I gave you the shot Greg and you blew it. You blew your only opportunity and now you go back to where you belong..the bottom of the ladder. Tom Bennett will get a title shot before you do Hammer. Haha, what a plan it was. So now I'm here to address the man that I feel should be the next challenger to the AWA World Heavyweight-

Zbysko stops in mid-sentence as the country twang of Greg Valentine's music hits and he steps out to a nice pop from the crowd, pointing right at Zbysko. Valentine doesn't approach the ring though, instead opting to stand in front of the curtain and address Zbysko from a distance.

Greg Valentine: Larry Zbysko!

Valentine pauses, looking around the arena.

Greg Valentine: You low down, yella bellied coward, I oughtta whoop you like the son of a gun that you are boy!

The crowd pops at the slurred, half wild speech of Valentine, feeling his emotion, but quiets down for the Zbysko response.

Larry Zbysko: And maybe someday you'll get that chance...but it won't be anytime soon, that's for damn sure.

Valentine calms down, looking at Zbysko with a smile of his own.

Greg Valentine: That's where you're wrong big boy!

Zbysko stops messing with the fans and looks at Valentine curiously.

Greg Valentine: See, I met with the executive committee earlier today and them boys done came up with a decision. And what they done decided is that because Greg Valentine beat Larry Zbysko last week, Greg Valentine is the number one contender for the AWA World Title!

The crowd pops huge as Zbysko is going berserk in the ring, kicking the ropes, shouting at the fans.

Greg Valentine: At Superclash VII Legend, I'll get my shot. Count the days big guy, count the days.

Valentine backs up through the curtains while Zbysko slides out of the ring, screaming at the fans, screaming at himself, furious as he makes his way toward the back, trying to figure out what just happened while the commercial break rolls.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

Upon return, Greg Gagne's face is plastered on the screen.

Greg Gagne: What a shocking announcement we heard from Greg Valentine. Not only has Zbysko's plan backfired, but Valentine will get a title shot at Superclash VII!

Johnny Valiant: This is definately not what Zbysko wanted to happen. He wants to be done with Valentine and now he's forced to face him.

Greg Gagne: It's the best thing for AWA though, this is what the people want to see.

Johnny Valiant: The people don't know what's good for em.

Greg Gagne: Nevertheless, that match is going to happen. Right now though, we've got to focus on a good night of strong wrestling action. Starting us off tonight, it's Scott Norton taking on Doug Furnas.

Johnny Valiant: Furnas, once again, tries to overcome a size differential and make something happen, but Norton's meanstreak will definately play a role.

Doug Furnas vs. Scott Norton

Furnas immediately goes behind Norton, looking for a takedown, but Norton stands his ground. Furnas tries a german suplex, but Norton still stands strong. Norton connects with a back elbow, then spins and hooks Furnas before planting him with a spinning belly to belly suplex. The crowd, oohed by the impact, pops when Furnas is able to kick out before the three count. Norton pulls Furnas up to his feet, picking him up, then charging and running him back first to the corner, taking the breath out of Furnas. Norton backs up a step, looking at the crowd, then bends down and drives his shoulder into Furnas' midsection twice, causing Furnas to start coughing. Bob Densmore steps in, trying to check on Furnas, but Norton continues the assault, using his knee as the weapon this time but with the same result. Norton sends Furnas into the ropes, powerslamming him spine first into the mat, both men bouncing off on impact. Norton hooks the leg, but Furnas still manages to kick out at two. Norton looks surprised as he stands up, looking down at Furnas to ensure he stays there. Norton backs into the ropes, then steps forward, looking for a big splash. Furnas raises his knees, driving them into Norton's midsection. Norton rolls on the mat, holding his ribs and Furnas slowly gets to his feet. Furnas with a well executed dropkick knocks Norton into the ropes back first, then another dropkick knocks Norton into the ropes chest first! Norton backs up and walks right into a german suplex from Doug Furnas, who collapses to the mat immediately after, that suplex taking every ounce of energy he had. Furnas finally starts to stir, getting to his feet and looking at Norton on the mat. Furnas heads up to the top turnbuckle and attempts a big elbow, only to have Norton roll out of the way! Norton gets to his feet, kicking Furnas in his midsection before lifting him into the air, putting Furnas on his shoulder. Norton delivers the running powerslam, then makes the cover for the three.

Winner: Scott Norton

Greg Gagne: Furnas displayed some raw power with his german suplex, but it took too much out of him.

Johnny Valiant: And Scott Norton, as usual, is there to capitalize. Now that Norton has gotten rid of the dead weight John Nord, his career is about to take off.

Greg Gagne: That dead weight you refer to is starting to make a name for himself too.

Johnny Valiant: With those cheap tactics, trying to get fan approval? He's nothing.

Greg Gagne: We'll be seeing him later on tonight taking on Col. DeBeers, but when we return, it'll be the Young Stallions defending the AWA Tag Titles against the Texas Hangmen!

Gagne tosses it to commercial.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

The show returns to find the tag team champions sliding into the ring where the Hangmen are already waiting for the match to begin.

Texas Hangmen vs. Young Stallions

Paul Roma locks up with Psycho, taking Psycho down with a quick arm drag, then stands and flexes over Psycho. Psycho gets back up but charges right into another armdrag and Roma again poses. Psycho tags in Killer, who locks up with Roma, backing him up, but misses a forearm. Roma rolls him up but only gets a two. Roma stands and casually tags in Jim Powers. Powers locks up with Killer and shoves him to the mat. Killer looks surprised at the strength of Powers, but gets up only to get run over by a Powers clothesline. Psycho comes in the ring, hoping to get a two-on-one going, but Powers lifts him into the air with a gorilla press slam, then drops him over the top rope to the outside! Roma yells out to Powers, then climbs up to the top turnbuckle. Powers with a quick powerslam on Killer, then tags Roma, who leaps off the top rope and lands an elbow right to the chest of Killer. Roma makes the cover and gets the three.

Winner: Young Stallions

There's a decent pop as the Stallions grab the tag titles and pose in the ring. A decent pop, but not a deafening pop as most of the cheers are coming from the female fans.

Greg Gagne: Not much of a match from the Hangmen as they just got handled by the champs.

Johnny Valiant: There's really no top contenders right now for the belts, unless Patera and Rheingans go after them again.

Greg Gagne: And the First Class Connection?

Johnny Valiant: They've still got to prove themselves, but they're looking good thus far.

Greg Gagne: I'm getting word that Nightstalker is in the back and he's living up to his name!

The cameras re-focus and find Nightstalker kicking in a door, then looking in the room. Finding nothing, he comes back out and joins manager Ox Baker in the hallway.

Nightstalker: Where the hell is Patera?

Baker puts his hand on Nightstalker's shoulder.

Ox Baker: If we can't find Patera, we'll just settle for the next best thing.

Nightstalker doesn't seem to quite understand, but follows behind Baker as the cameras fade to commercial.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

Returning from commercials, the focus is on the announce crew.

Greg Gagne: Last week, we saw just how bad The Trooper and Col. DeBeers want to get at each other, but tonight, DeBeers is going to have to settle for John Nord instead.

Johnny Valiant: John Nord, the man who will do anything for a clap.

Greg Gagne: Nord is just showing how much he enjoys AWA and the AWA fans.

Johnny Valiant: Well, I hope he enjoys the beating he's about to receive. And let's just hope Trooper can keep his nose out of this one.

Col. DeBeers vs. John Nord

John Nord made his way down to the ring in sweats and a white t-shirt that reads "AWA Pride". He slides in the ring and is met right away by boots from DeBeers, who's viciousness has really come out since Superclash VI. DeBeers stomps until Scott LeDoux pulls him off. LeDoux checks on Nord, who shoves the smaller ref aside, and crawls towards DeBeers, recieving a boot to the head followed by more stomps to the neck area. LeDoux again steps in to check on Nord, who again shoves past the ref, trying to get to DeBeers. DeBeers pulls Nord up to his feet, sending him into the ropes, stopping him with a knee to the midsection followed by a quick double arm DDT. DeBeers goes for the cover, but Nord kicks out, rolling over and trying to get himself up off the mat. DeBeers sits across Nord's back in a camel clutch position, reaching down and yanking on Nord's head, putting pressure on his neck and back. DeBeers doesn't think that's enough and he stands up, then sits down hard on Nord's back, driving him into the mat. DeBeers repeats it and Nord is in obvious pain, but unable to really do anything about it. He crawls to the ropes, using them to pull himself up off the mat and to his feet. He looks in horrible condition when he finally gets to a standing position and DeBeers sends him over the top rope with a clothesline, Nord landing very awkwardly on the thin mat. DeBeers stands in the ring, staring at Nord while LeDoux starts the count. Corporal Hughes steps up onto the apron when the count reaches eight, clearly ready to celebrate the victory. Nord is unable to get into the ring before LeDoux reaches ten.

Winner: Col. DeBeers

Hughes raises DeBeers' hand in victory, but DeBeers is looking out at Nord, who has just now gotten to his feet. Nord struggles, but slides under the bottom rope. DeBeers looks furious, then grabs the baton from Corporal Hughes. Nord is on his knees and looks up at DeBeers, who brings the baton down on Nord's head. Nord falls sideways to the mat, but again manages to get back to his knees, slowly but surely. As soon as he does, DeBeers brings the baton back down on his head again. Nord, with a trickle of blood dripping from his forehead now, pushes himself up to his knees. He looks at DeBeers, his eyes glazed over, and motions for DeBeers to bring it on. DeBeers can't believe Nord's asking for more. DeBeers backs up, looking at the baton, then charges and drives the end of the baton into Nord's forehead, knocking him straight back on his back! The crowd, sickened by this display, suddenly erupt in cheers as they see The Trooper running down the aisle. Trooper slides into the ring and rocks DeBeers and Hughes with right hands, sending DeBeers over the top rope and Hughes through the middle. DeBeers wants to get back in the ring, but Corporal Hughes holds him back. The Trooper kneels over John Nord and the crowd is going nuts as the show heads into a commercial break.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

Again, the return from commercial is to the announce booth.

Greg Gagne: What a sickening event we had before the break Mr. Valiant.

Johnny Valiant: Sickening yes, but don't blame DeBeers. John Nord wants approval and he asked for each one of those shots.

Greg Gagne: I don't know if he got approval but I guarantee he's gonna get a hospital bill. He's just lucky Trooper was there to make the save.

Johnny Valiant: Lucky? He's beyond lucky, but Trooper will get what he's got coming. DeBeers is nowhere near done with him.

Greg Gagne: It's time for our main event folks, with Masa Saito taking on one half of the First Class Connection, Dave Taylor!

Valiant shoots Gagne a look as the attention turns to the ring.

Masa Saito vs. Dave Taylor

A bit of amateur wrestling at first but then Saito took the advantage with a quick vertical suplex followed by an armbar, trying to establish himself on the mat. Taylor managed to twist his way out of it and get to his feet though, pulling Saito into a drop toe hold, then dropping an elbow on the back of his head. Taylor goes to drop a fist to the back of Saito's head, but Saito moves out of the way. Saito with a fallaway slam and Taylor rolls out of the ring, slapping the apron and trying to compose himself. Taylor steps back up onto the apron and Saito tries to stop him there. Taylor goes low on Saito, then pulls Saito throat first onto the top rope, snapping him back to the middle of the ring. Taylor steps into the ring, dropping a legdrop across Saito's upper body, then goes for the pin but can't get a three count. Taylor stands up and drops another legdrop, but still can't get the full three. Taylor questions Densmore's abilities, then turns and kicks Saito before he can attack from behind. Taylor with a butterfly suplex on Saito, going for the cover again, but again Saito manages to kick out. Taylor looks for an irish whip, but Saito reverses it and sends Taylor flying into the ropes. Saito with a back elbow, followed by a spinning belly to back suplex! Saito hooks the leg, but Taylor reaches out to the bottom rope and breaks up the count before three. Saito signals for the Saito suplex, but before he can act on it, he notices Bam Bam Bigelow stepping through the curtains, standing with his arms crossed. Saito looks at Bigelow, then stands Taylor in the corner, attacking him with extremely violent chops to the chest, the sound loud enough that Bigelow can hear clear. Saito with a series of chops, then sends Taylor into the ropes, taking him down with a leaping knee. Saito points out to Bigelow, then takes Taylor down with a Saito Suplex for the three.

Winner: Masa Saito

Johnny Valiant can be seen leaving the announce booth, making his way up the aisle towards Bigelow. Bigelow sees him coming and stands there, staring. Johnny finally reaches the intimidating man and asks him the question everyone wants to know.

Johnny Valiant: Bam Bam Bigelow, what is this all about?

Bam Bam looks at Valiant for a moment before answering.

Bam Bam Bigelow: Johnny Valiant...I will not be taken advantage of again. Masa Saito, you're on my turf now. That means we play by my rules.

All Star Wrestling comes to an end with Bigelow and Saito staring at each other.

Quick Results

Scott Norton d. Doug Furnas

Match Reaction = 16.6%

Match Quality = 68.4%

Overall Rating = 49.4%

Young Stallions d. Texas Hangmen

Match Reaction = 18.2%

Match Quality = 59.5%

Overall Rating = 39.1%

Col. DeBeers d. John Nord

Match Reaction = 27.2%

Match Quality = 47.4%

Overall Rating = 38.5%

Masa Saito d. Dave Taylor

Match Reaction = 27.9%

Match Quality = 55.6%

Overall Rating = 47.4%

Overall Rating of 42.8%

Good show, though I don't remember Valentine having a thick Southern accent like you write him as having in the opening segment. Maybe I'm wrong. I love what you're doing with Nord, though, very entertaining stuff there.

All Star Wrestling

August 11th, 1990

Larry Zbysko putting a boston crab on Masa Saito at Superclash V. The Trooper raising the North American Title. Nightstalker powerbombing Al Snow. Magnus Vaara lifting the massive Gary Albright in the torture rack. The images of AWA flash across the screen one by one, stirring memories in the minds of fans everywhere. Finally, Vaara fades away and the words "All Star Wrestling" appear. They crumble away into Greg Gagne and Johnny Valiant sitting ringside.

Greg Gagne: Mr. Valiant, tonight we finally find out what this whole Bigelow-Saito problem is all about, isn't that right?

Johnny Valiant: That's right Greg. I personally took it upon myself earlier in the day to sit down with Bam Bam and get the scoop.

Greg Gagne: In addition to that, Greg "The Hammer" Valentine will be wrestling in the main event, showing why he is the number one contender to the World Title.

Johnny Valiant: I'd expect Larry Zbysko to be watching that match very closely.

Greg Gagne: I'm sure he will Mr. Valiant. First things first though, Scott Norton made an open challenge to the back this week. No, not for a wrestling match, but rather for an arm wrestling match! Norton is out to prove that he's the strongest man in wrestling.

Johnny Valiant: That's a bold claim and the man that's stepped up to the challenge is definately capable of proving that claim false.

Greg Gagne: It's Tommy Jammer and Scott Norton in an arm wrestling match!

Scott Norton vs. Tommy Jammer

Tommy Jammer stood up next to Norton, showing off his physique. Norton, not caring about any physique, pushed Jammer. Bob Densmore quickly stepped in between them, making sure this stayed as a non-fighting event. He guided both men to their sides of the arm wrestling table and watched as they locked up, both men getting the grips they wanted before Densmore started the match. Right away, Norton was using his girth to force Jammer's hand down. Jammer's muscles were rippling and he was putting everything he had into this, working hard just to get even with Norton. Norton let out a loud grunt, then slammed Jammer's hand to the table and got his arm raised as the victor.

Jammer slammed his hand into the table out of frustration before heading to the back, leaving Norton to stand in the ring, challenging anyone who was willing to listen.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

Two quick knocks are heard, then The Trooper is seen opening the door and entering the locker room of John Nord, wearing a bandage over his forehead. Nord stands up, shaking the Trooper's hand as he takes a seat.

The Trooper: You got a minute?

John Nord: Got all the time in the World brotha, what's on your mind?

Trooper pauses, gathering his thoughts.

The Trooper: I'm concerned. I know you're trying to get the fans behind you, but your body can't handle all this abuse.

John Nord: It's not about getting the fans behind me Troop.

The Trooper: C'mon John, you and Norton split up, then all of a sudden, you're doing anything you can just to get a reaction.

John stands up, putting his hands on his hips and biting his bottom lip. He turns and looks at Trooper.

John Nord: My entire career, I've been seen as a joke. Nobody's respected me. Nobody's even cared. I guess after six years, I just decided to quit caring too.

The Trooper: Putting your body through hell isn't the way though John.

Trooper stands up, looking Nord in the eyes.

The Trooper: It's not worth it.

Nord looks back with a slight chuckle.

John Nord: You'd never understand.

Nord opens the locker room door and after a slight pause, Trooper steps through, his mission apparently un-successful.

Greg Gagne: Trooper looking out for Nord, but no luck there.

Johnny Valiant: No luck because Nord doesn't make much sense anyway. It's like talking to a mental patient.

Greg Gagne: And Trooper was concerned about that.

Johnny Valiant: It's not his place to be concerned. If Nord wants to get himself killed, then who are we to judge?

First Class Connection vs. Todd Becker & Tom Bennett

Chris Adams locks up with Becker, backing him into the corner, then backing off for a clean break but instead leaning in and slapping Becker across the face. Becker charges out at Adams and Adams uses that anger to send Becker tumbling into the corner. Becker gets up and tries to charge again but Taylor pulls him down by his hair. Scott LeDoux warns Taylor, who puts his hands up innocently. Adams grabs Becker, side suplexing him back to the middle of the ring, then wiping his hands clean and tagging in Taylor. Becker makes it to Bennett, who comes in and tries a dropkick. Taylor steps back and watches as Bennett crashes to the mat. Taylor with a european uppercut, followed by another, and another, backing Bennett up. Taylor with a scoop slam, then measures Bennett and delivers the point of his elbow right to the sternum. Taylor pulls Bennett to his feet, slapping in an abdominal stretch. Taylor tags in Chris Adams, who comes in and plants a boot right to Bennett's midsection. He follows that with a hanging vertical suplex, then makes the cover, only to get it broken up by Becker. Becker then tries to hit Taylor on the apron, but Taylor drops down and pulls Becker by his feet, slamming his face into the mat before dragging him to the outside of the ring. Chris Adams, meanwhile, is standing poised in the ring waiting for Bennett to get to his feet. He does and Adams steps sideways, driving his boot to Bennett's head with a super sidekick. Adams lays on top of Bennett for the win.

Winner: First Class Connection

First Class Connection celebrates as the scene fades.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

Magnus Vaara vs. Enigma

The lock-up led to Enigma being shoved to the ground. He got up quickly and slid between the charging Vaara's legs. Vaara turned and Enigma poked him in the eye, then took him down with a swinging neckbreaker. Enigma tries a standing spinning legdrop, but Vaara put his hands up, actually stopping Enigma from connecting with the legdrop. Vaara held onto Enigma's leg as he got up to his feet, knowing he had the control. Enigma went for an insiguri, but Vaara ducked it, laughed, and got caught by a reverse insiguri, sending him tumbling through the ropes. Enigma didn't stop there, instead lifting himself up and over the top rope with a cross body, but Vaara caught him and slammed him right into the thin mat covering the concrete, prompting ooh's from the crowd. Vaara picks Enigma up, rolling his limp body into the ring, then slides in after him. Enigma is attempting to get to his feet, but Vaara will have none of that, stopping him with a knee to the side of his head, knocking him back to the mat. Vaara goes for the pin, only getting a two. Enigma tries to get up and Vaara just watches, then finally grabs Enigma and sends him charging into the corner, Vaara following closely behind. Enigma lifts himself into the air and over the charging Vaara. When Vaara turns, Enigma dropkicks him back into place, then rolls to the outside of the apron. He climbs up top, tries a head scissors takedown, but Vaara uses his strength to hold Enigma in place, powerbombing him to the apron. Vaara pulls Enigma to his feet and slaps in the torture rack, causing Enigma to submit.

Winner: Magnus Vaara

Greg Gagne: Vaara with an impressive win, even if it was over the smaller Enigma, but now Mr. Valiant, I hear it's time for your eye-opening interview...

Johnny Valiant: Eye opening and ass kicking, that's right. Earlier today, I sat down with Bam Bam Bigelow and here's what the beast had to say!

The tape rolls and the scene switches to an empty arena where Johnny Valiant is sitting in a chair facing Bam Bam Bigelow, who's sitting but still has the stern, all business look on his face.

Johnny Valiant: Bam Bam, this thing with you and Saito has been going on for weeks, but we've got to know...what is this all about?

Bam Bam Bigelow: Masa Saito's not in the comforts of Japan anymore.

Johnny Valiant: You keep mentioning Japan. What happened there?

Bam Bam Bigelow: What happened there? I nearly got my life taken, that's what happened there.

Johnny Valiant: What do you mean?

Bam Bam Bigelow: Saito, with all his people, they beat me until I couldn't stand. I couldn't even fight back JV.

Johnny Valiant: Wait, this isn't making any sense. Why would he just attack you?

Bam Bam Bigelow: All he said was something about tradition. But it doesn't matter JV. He made a fool out of me and now he knows what he's got coming.

Johnny Valiant: But-

Bam Bam Bigelow: I believe your question was answered.

Bam Bam stands up and Johnny doesn't even attempt another question. The tape ends and we're back at commercial.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

Coming back, The Trooper is seen, pacing up and down the hallway. His mind's obviously still on his conversation with John Nord from earlier. He's shaking his head and then looks like he's suddenly got an idea of where to go. He starts off down a hallway, but doesn't get far before Corporal Hughes steps out from a door in front of him. He stops in his tracks, then turns, only to see Colonel DeBeers behind him. Trooper looks back and forth at both men, then chooses his target and heads right at DeBeers with wild punches. DeBeers grabs him, throwing him into the concrete wall. Hughes joins in and the two militants stomp Trooper down to the ground, laying him out with brutal kicks. DeBeers yells for Hughes to do something and seconds later, you see Hughes place Trooper between his legs, ready to lift him into the air. Before he can though, John Nord comes flying around the corner, two by four in hand! He knocks Hughes down, clotheslining him with the wood, then misses a swinging shot to DeBeers. Hughes gets back up to his feet and scurries off with DeBeers close behind. Nord drops the two by four and checks on Trooper while the cameras go back up front.

Greg Gagne: Looks like John Nord is going to continue to do what John Nord does!

Johnny Valiant: Its a good thing for Trooper, he would've been finished for sure.

Greg Gagne: One man who's not finished is sitting in the ring. Ladies and gentleman, Greg Valentine!

Valentine stands in the ring, the long robe draped on his back and a mic in hand.

Greg Valentine: They say every man has his destiny, but only those driven enough to succeed....will reach that destiny. My destiny is to hold the AWA World Title. Not only that, but my destiny is to re-store the prestige that the AWA World Title once had. Larry Zbysko, a man who would rather take a loss than defend the belt against me, is the champion? The champion? AWA's disgraced by your actions Zbysko, but soon, the dark days will be over. Soon, Greg Valentine will take his place at the top of the mountain and look down upon you. Superclash VII, I will get the title shot I so rightly deserve and believe me Zbysko, I only need one shot. Count the days Legend, count the days.

Valetine drops the mic and waits for Albright to hit the ring for their match.

Greg Valentine vs. Gary Albright

Valentine locks up with Gary, Albright getting the initial advantage, sending Valentine into the ropes. Albright stands firm and Valentine tries to knock him down with a clothesline, but barely moves Albright. Valentine comes off the ropes again with another clothesline, this time moving Albright a couple of steps, but Albright tells him to do it again. Valentine with a third, but this time Albright steps forward, clotheslining Valentine instead! Albright doesn't waste a motion going from the clothesline to a splash, shaking the ring. He doesn't bother with a cover though, instead pulling Valentine up, looking around the arena with his beady eyes. Albright lifts Valentine high into the air, holding him with a gorilla press before finally letting him fall to the mat. Albright chuckles to himself, but still no pin. He opts to stand Valentine up in the corner, walking to the middle of the ring himself with his eyes narrowing. On a dime, he turns and charges, sandwiching Valentine! Albright steps back and watches Valentine fall face first to the mat. Albright steps forward with another splash, this time to the back of Valentine! Albright stands back up, looking at Bob Densmore while Valentine tries to get up, clutching his back. Albright walks over to help him up, but Valentine catches him off guard with a right hand to the midsection, followed by three more. Valentine gets to his feet, still holding his back. Valentine bounces off the ropes, driving a double axe handle into Albright's forehead, knocking him down to the mat! Valentine quick with a cover but Albright kicks out at two. Both men get up to their feet. Valentine goes for a kick to the midsection but Albright catches his foot. Valentine rolls Albright up with a small package, only getting two and both men are back to their feet! Albright with a right hand to Valentine, who responds with another double axe handle, stunning Albright. Valentine kicks Albright in the midsection, then hooks him by the tights. Valentine, in an impressive show of strength, lifts Albright up into the air with a vertical suplex, barely holding him up there before letting him fall to the mat. Valentine takes a second to catch his breath, then stands up, looking at the fallen Albright. Valentine shouts out to the crowd, getting a nice pop, then twists Albright into the figure four leglock! Within moments, Albright's tapping on the mat.

Winner: Greg Valentine

As Valentine, celebrates in the ring, the cameras go backstage where Nightstalker is seen turning the corner, manager Ox Baker following close behind. Nightstalker stops in front of a door, looking to Baker for approval before kicking it in. Brad Rheingans, caught by surprise, stands up quickly and looks at Nightstalker stepping through the frame. He tries to prepare for the fight, but never had a chance. Nightstalker is on him with repeating right hands, bringing Rheingans down to the floor and still not stopping the abuse. Nightstalker stands Rheingans up, driving a boot to his midsection, then lifting Rheingans into the air, powerbombing him onto the concrete floor! Rheingans body can be seen going into convulsions but Nightstalker is showing no remorse. He backs out of the room, joining a smiling Ox Baker in staring at Rheingans, shaking on the ground. All Star Wrestling fades to black.

Quick Results

Scott Norton d. Tommy Jammer

Match Reaction = 16.4%

Match Quality = 54.2%

Overall Rating = 21.9%

First Class Connection d. Becker/Bennett

Match Reaction = 14.5%

Match Quality = 52.6%

Overall Rating = 38.1%

Magnus Vaara d. Enigma

Match Reaction = 30.5%

Match Quality = 65.0%

Overall Rating = 52.2%

Greg Valentine vs. Gary Albright

Match Reaction = 28.9%

Match Quality = 58.2%

Overall Rating = 49.3%

Overall Rating: 39.6%

Decent show here, TP, even if there was no Zbyszko sighting. Curious to see a few things:

--Some of Saito's "people" making return appearances to help him against Bigelow?

--Nightstalker and Baker v. the reunited Olympians?

--And finally, old man Gagne's reaction to the BACKSTAGE POWERBOMB! I know I stopped watching AWA around '88 or so, but I was always pretty sure that things like that weren't done on a Gagne show. Keep this up and you'll get a jump on the Attitude Era. :thumbsup: And just for the record, this is not a complaint by any means.

And by God, you may actually get Nord over yet...he's like Jim Duggan, but without the irritatingly over-the-top patriotism. Good stuff with him...NA title program after DeBeers takes the title from the Trooper, perhaps?

Sophie's Office

Moments after All Star Wrestling

"Sir, I know that's not wrestling."

Well, I now knew what it was like to get verbally torn apart by Verne Gagne. When he saw the powerbomb at the end of All Star Wrestling, he immediately called me. The show had ended just moments ago, but I guess he wanted to get it out while it was fresh.

"I understand that sir."

"No sir, I'm not turning it into a circus."

"The wrestling fan is changing sir, I believe we can offer them more than just a ring."

"Your promotion sir."

"Your show sir."

"What kind of rules?"

"Yessir, I'm writing them down."

"Are you sure about this sir?"

"Mr. Gagne, with all due respect, you wanted me to do a job and that's what I'm doing. With all these restrictions, how am I supposed to do my job?"

"No sir, I don't want to find another job."

"Yes sir."

And it was done. Apparently he can only yell for so long. For me, it was a tad too long and now I had all these rules to deal with:

1. No fighting outside of the ring area.

2. All promo's must be run by Mr. Gagne first.

3. Any non-wrestling segments must be approved by Mr. Gagne first.

4. No wrestler improvization at all.

5. Commentary team will not show individualism, instead working together to put over AWA.

6. Any violation would result in immediate suspension.

All Star Wrestling

August 18th, 1990

Larry Zbysko putting a boston crab on Masa Saito at Superclash V. The Trooper raising the North American Title. Nightstalker powerbombing Al Snow. Magnus Vaara lifting the massive Gary Albright in the torture rack. The images of AWA flash across the screen one by one, stirring memories in the minds of fans everywhere. Finally, Vaara fades away and the words "All Star Wrestling" appear. They crumble away into Greg Gagne and Johnny Valiant sitting ringside.

Greg Gagne: We're rapidly approaching our next Superclash event on September 2nd and the mood here in AWA seems to be changing.

Johnny Valiant: I've noticed guys are starting to do a little bit extra, trying to establish themselves as stars.

Greg Gagne: They're really looking at the overall competition in AWA and realizing how strong it is, they know they need a little bit more.

Johnny Valiant: I've got to say Greg, this could be the deepest talent pool I've seen in AWA.

Greg Gagne: I know it's deep enough to keep me in the announce booth. I want nothing to do with guys like the man in the ring right now, Scott Norton.

Johnny Valiant: Big and mean, a dangerous combination.

Greg Gagne: He's there and who's his challenger going to be this week in the infamous arm wrestling contest?

Johnny Valiant: It looks like Doug Furnas is going to take this challenge, is this a joke?

Greg Gagne: Furnas is a ripped guy, but he's giving up quite a bit in the size department. You never know though, let's go to the ring and see what happens.

Scott Norton vs. Doug Furnas

Norton questions Furnas' place in the ring, causing Furnas to respond by flexing both arms, showing his impressive physique. Norton laughs to himself, then steps up to the table. He puts his arm on the table, then watches as Furnas stands up on his tiptoes to get his arm in position. The two lock up and the whistle blows. Furnas' face twists and contorts itself as he gives it everything he has, trying to move the massive arm of Scott Norton. Norton again chuckles to himself, looking at Furnas giving it his all. Norton finally decides to end it and brings Furnas' hand down to the mat forcefully, causing the whistle to blow ending the festivity.

Furnas rolls out of the ring while Norton again poses to the crowd, yelling and challenging anyone who'll listen while the cameras fade to commercial.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

Upon return, the cameras settle in on the announce crew.

Greg Gagne: I understand you conducted another sitdown interview this week?

Johnny Valiant: After the accusations of Bam Bam Bigelow, I had to get to the other side of the story, so I sat down with Masa Saito and his translator.

Greg Gagne: Anything interesting come of that?

Johnny Valiant: It'll definately make you think twice about who's really at fault.

Greg Gagne: With that, let's go to the footage!

The tape rolls and Johnny Valiant's seen sitting in a weight room, Masa Saito sitting on a bench in front of him with a much smaller asian man to the side.

Johnny Valiant: Last week, Bam Bam Bigelow told us that you brutally attacked him in Japan, but not only that, you had others help you to make sure he didn't fight back?

The translator does his job, running off a bunch of words, then listening as Saito responds.

Masa Saito Translator: He say that Bam Bam Bigelow disrespect Japanese tradition, he make mockery of Japanese ways, so Masa Saito teach Bam Bam some respect.

Johnny Valiant: Wait a second, how did he disrespect Japanese tradition?

Again, the translator does his job, playing the roles of two men.

Masa Saito Translator: He say that in Japan, the locker room of the local legends is sacred grounds and only those who are most highly respected have access. He say that Bam Bam Bigelow never had access, but Bam Bam still entered the sacred grounds, smelling of alcohol and speaking very loudly.

Johnny Valiant: Hmm. Ok...but does that really warrant a beating?

The translator repeats the question and Saito raises his voice as he answers.

Masa Saito Translator: He say that Bam Bam Bigelow ate the throwing salt, then grabbed Mr. Saito's robe, putting it on himself before throwing it to the ground and stomping it. It was at this point that Mr. Saito lost control and attacked. His associates were there, but they posed no threat to Bam Bam Bigelow.

Johnny Valiant: So it wasn't an attack on Bam Bam, you believed you were just defending your honor?

One last translation from the translator.

Masa Saito Translator: He say he was defending honor of Japan.

Johnny Valiant: Well there you have it, a whole nother side. Masa Saito, thank you.

Saito nods his head slightly as the tape ends and the focus is back on the announce booth.

Greg Gagne: I must say, if that's true, then Bam Bam Bigelow definately got what he had coming.

Johnny Valiant: Indeed so, Japan takes their traditions very seriously and once you cross that boundary, you're in for it.

Greg Gagne: I can't wait to hear what Bam Bam has to say now that the truth has come out!

Johnny Valiant: I know Bam Bam's not here tonight, but next week, I'm sure we'll hear from the beast.

Greg Gagne: Up next folks, we're heading back to the ring! Chris Adams, one half of the First Class Connection, will be stepping in against Marc Mero!

Johnny Valiant: I think the duo should focus on tag team wrestling myself, get a shot at the Stallions.

Greg Gagne: Well, later on in the evening, it will actually be Dave Taylor taking on Jim Powers, so you never know. But right now, it's Chris Adams and Marc Mero, one on one!

Chris Adams vs. Marc Mero

Mero started with the initial takedown, but missed the following elbow drop. Adams got to his feet, taking Mero over with an armdrag, then extending it into an armbar until Mero grabbed the middle rope and broke the hold. Adams hung onto the arm though, twisting it around in an armwringer, then snapping it down. Adams twisted it into a hammerlock behind Mero, but Mero twisted it out of that and powered forward, taking Adams down with a falling clothesline. Mero with a couple of quick right hands to the side of Adams head, then gets to his feet, doing a little boxer dance and jabbing the air. Adams gets to his feet and Mero sends him into the ropes, only to take him down with a lou thesz press followed by more right hands and Mero is feeling energetic now, working his feet as he waits on Adams to get up. Adams does and Mero with two quick left jabs, then rolls his hands and delivers a right that knocks Adams back down. Mero goes for the pin, but Adams kicks out. Mero puts Adams in the corner, then climbs up, looking to deliver the ten punch but before he can start, he's the victim of an inverted atomic drop from Adams, who then lifts himself up to the second turnbuckle and takes Mero down with a flying clothesline. Adams rolls up Mero but is unable to get the three. Dave Taylor is shouting for the sidekick and Adams obliges, standing prepared. Mero stands and Adams goes for it, but Mero ducks the kick, then pulls Adams down with a reverse DDT! Mero gets back up, heading to the top turnbuckle for a moonsault perhaps. Ledoux checks on Adams, which allows Taylor to hop up on the apron and shove Mero off! Mero lands hard and Adams gets back to his feet. This time he doesn't miss the sidekick and the three count's easy for Ledoux to make.

Winner: Chris Adams

First Class Connection immediately makes their way down the aisle, raising their hands in the air in a celebratory fashion, but in the ring, Marc Mero's far from done. He grabs the mic and halts the progress of the man who just beat him.

Marc Mero: Whoa whoa whoa, we ain't done here. Where I'm from, a man can accept defeat, but only a chump gets cheated out of victory. I ain't no chump. I'm the two time New York state golden gloves champion! I'm Marc freakin' Mero and I DON'T get punked out. It took two of you to keep me down tonight, so how bout next week both of you get in this ring against me and whoever I find to be my partner?

Mero drops the mic and raises his arm, trying to find out their answer. Adams and Taylor look at each other, then discuss it for a moment before nodding their heads to Mero. They exchange some verbage and then the cameras fade to commercial.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

All Star Wrestling returns from commercial break to find the other half of the First Class Connection now in the ring, set to go up against one half of the tag team champions, Jim Powers. Neither of the partners are at ringside and it looks like this one's just going to be solo action.

Jim Powers vs. Dave Taylor

Powers doesn't want to lock up, instead putting his hand up high, hoping Taylor would join him in a test of strength. Taylor grabbed Powers hand, but then used it to drag Powers to the mat. Powers held on through it, got up, and ran Taylor over with a clothesline, quickly going for a pin and almost getting a two count by surprise. Powers sends Taylor into the corner, running with him and sandwiching the Brit before bodyslamming him in the middle of the ring and winking at one of the ladies in the front row. Powers sat Taylor up, putting his knee in the middle of Dave's back, then pulling back on the shoulders, adding pressure to the spine. Taylor couldn't find a way out of it, but he wasn't going to submit to this move either so Powers released it, content with the damage done. He stood Taylor up and sent him into the ropes. Taylor managed to roll Powers up with a schoolboy, getting a quick two. Powers got up and charged Taylor, who used a drop toe hold to lay Powers out on the bottom rope. Taylor then slid under the bottom rope and caught Powers with a european uppercut before rolling back in. Powers got to his feet, holding his jaw and Taylor laid him out with a nice snap suplex, again going for the pin but again coming up just short of the three. Taylor wanted another snap suplex, but Powers blocked this one, then reversed the momentum, lifting Taylor into the air and down with a reverse suplex. Powers went for a kneedrop that missed and Taylor got back up, using a kneebreaker to keep the focus on the knee of Powers. Taylor used a dragon screw leg whip to set up a half boston crab and once the knee of Powers was extended, he had no choice but to tap out, giving Taylor a surprise victory.

Winner: Dave Taylor

Greg Gagne: What a great win for Taylor, that has to be considered an upset.

Johnny Valiant: Beating one half of the tag team champions is always an upset. If they weren't busy with Mero and whoever his partner is, I'd say they should be challenging for those titles next week.

Greg Gagne: Such great competition here in AWA, you never know what to expect. David Taylor picks up a huge win over Jim Powers and we've still got the big tag team match, coming up next!

Gagne tosses it to commercial break.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

All Star Wrestling returns with the focus on Gagne and Valentine at the announce table.

Greg Gagne: Trooper has had problems with Col. DeBeers for quite some time, but last week, things looked really bad for our North American champ....

Footage rolls, showing Trooper surrounded by DeBeers and Corporal Hughes.

Greg Gagne: Trooper would try to fight the two off, but they proved to be too much.

Footage shows Trooper being stomped to the ground.

Greg Gagne: That is, until John Nord came to the rescue!

Footage shows Nord saving the day with his two by four.

Greg Gagne: All of that has set up what should be quite a slugfest of a tag team match.

Johnny Valiant: A slugfest and a mean spirited one at that...should be great!

John Nord/The Trooper vs. Col. DeBeers/Corporal Hughes

Nord starts things off against DeBeers with DeBeers kneeing him, then hammering him with forearm shots to the back, forcing Nord down to the canvas. DeBeers quickly tags in Hughes, then puts his weight down on Nord's shoulders while Hughes drops a legdrop across his midsection. Hughes goes for the pin, but Nord kicks out. Hughes stands Nord up, then drives his fist into Nord's forehead, again and again, solid shot after solid shot until Nord can barely stand anymore. DeBeers is laughing as he calls for the tag. Hughes tags him in, but before DeBeers can continue the brutal assault, Nord leaps forward, tackling DeBeers. Nord fires some quick right hands of his own, then stands up only to walk into a shot from Hughes knocking him back down. Nord spots Trooper and starts crawling over, but DeBeers grabs him by the ankle before he can reach. DeBeers tries pulling him back to the middle, but Nord overpowers him, getting closer and closer until he finally reaches the hand of The Trooper, bringing him into the match and causing the crowd to go nuts. DeBeers begs off momentarily, then tries a right hand that gets blocked. Trooper rocks DeBeers with a right of his own, then another, and another before sending the Colonel into the ropes and treating him to a nice high back body drop. Hughes comes in but Trooper sees him coming and ducks a clothesline before hitting Hughes with a clothesline of his own, one that sends the Corporal over the top to the outside! Nord slides to the outside, but Hughes is there to get the better of him, throwing him into the steel guardrail. Hughes slides back in the ring just as The Trooper has DeBeers up for a press slam. Hughes slides into the knee of Trooper, dropping him and freeing DeBeers. The two immediately go to work, stomping away on Trooper again, ignoring the ref who wants one of them to leave the ring. John Nord sees what's going on and looks under the ring. The fans are on their feet in anticipation, but Nord finds...nothing under the ring? He slides in without a weapon and sizes up Hughes. Hughes turns and Nord takes him down with a running jumping knee! Nord then turns to DeBeers and plants him with a DDT. Trooper shakes off the effects of the beating, getting to his feet. Nord points to the turnbuckle and Trooper obliges, heading up top. DeBeers gets to his feet and Trooper comes off with the diving shoulderblock! He rolls DeBeers up for the three count.

Winner: John Nord/Trooper

Nord and Trooper stand victorious as the commercials roll.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

The familiar tunes of the World Champion, Larry Zbysko, play and soon the man himself emerges from behind the curtain, walking slowly, giving his better than you look to the crowd. He steps up the ringsteps and into the ring, re-adjusting the title belt before addressing the venue.

Larry Zbysko: Greg Valentine came out last week and gave a little preview, had a little warm-up match. I figured it's only fair that I, being the World Champion, did the same. But unlike Valentine, I didn't pick a nobody. No, I picked the very best that I could find. The brightest guy in the back. The very foundation of AWA. Ladies and gentlemen, my opponent this evening....Jake Milliman!

The crowd wants to boo Zbysko for his poor choice, but instead some decide to cheer for Milliman, hoping the upset can happen. He slides in the ring and looks ready to go.

Larry Zbysko vs. Jake Milliman

Zbysko rejects a handshake, instead running his hand through his hair before decking Milliman with it. Zbysko with a quick hip toss, then a dropkick to the knee of Milliman, bringing him back down. Zbysko put on a leglock, not to win, but just to show Milliman that he could. Zbysko slapped the back of Milliman's head, then waited for him to charge. Zbysko hit him with a back elbow, then a double leg reverse takedown. Milliman again got to his feet, but this time stumbled right into a spinebuster from Zbysko who used that to set up a boston crab for a submission victory.

Winner: Larry Zbysko

Zbysko got his hand raised after the match and pretended as if he had even broken a sweat. He played it up like it was the most meaningful match of his career, until he caught site of the rampway. There stood Greg "The Hammer" Valentine, arms folded. He shook his head at Zbysko and All Star Wrestling faded to black with those two staring at each other.

Quick Results

Chris Adams d. Marc Mero

Match Reaction = 22.4%

Match Quality = 59.0%

Overall Rating = 41.0%

Dave Taylor d. Jim Powers

Match Reaction = 24.4%

Match Quality = 64.8%

Overall Rating = 54.0%

The Trooper/John Nord d. Col. DeBeers/Corporal Hughes

Match Reaction = 23.9%

Match Quality = 61.8%

Overall Rating = 47.2%

Larry Zbysko d. Jake Milliman

Match Reaction = 26.6%

Match Quality = 62.4%

Overall Rating = 43.9%

Overall Rating of 41.8%

Whoooo, nice work here TP, lots of really nice things going on here all at once. I'm loving the push of John Nord, I feel that is really working as is the arm-wrestling competition with Scott Norton, it has a great feel as a gimmick for the era. The tag team ranks are really coming along as well, which is definetly something that was lacking early on. On top Valentine/Zbysko is really warming up, I can't wait to see those two collide further down the line as it should be excellent.

Overall the shows have really come into their own as off late, the characters themselves are really developing and they are coming across brilliant in the diary in my opinion. The matches and interviews flow very nicely as well making each show a good read, kudos for that as it is often hard to maintain such a thing over numerous shows.

Keep the good work coming man, I'll be here waiting to read it.

Gagne's even stooped to having someone clean out the underside of the ring...bastard! :P

Honestly, TP, I can say that I hope to see the Saito/Bigelow issue put to bed quickly, 'cause that's the one thing that I'm having a hard time getting behind. I'm kinda curious if there's any WWF castoffs that could possibly be candidates to end Norton's unbeaten run at arm-wrestling. Personally, I'd mark to see Don Muraco or Hercules popping up in Minnesota.

Agree with NBT about the tag ranks as well. Even without the Olympians, we still have the Stallions, the FCC, DeBeers/Hughes, and are the Texas Hangmen still kicking around? Maybe Enigma could turn heel and go to work for Ox Baker. :thumbsup:

And finally...I miss the ballsy, outrageous Johnny Valiant. :( Damn Gagne, anyway...

All Star Wrestling

August 25th, 1990

Greg Gagne: Alongside Johnny Valiant, I am Greg Gagne and we're proud to bring you exciting AWA action.

Johnny Valiant: Not only great action Greg, but I personally met with Bam Bam Bigelow earlier this afternoon and he had a challenge to issue.

Greg Gagne: A challenge?

Johnny Valiant: That's right. Now if we're sure that Masa Saito is standing by backstage, then we can roll this footage...

Greg Gagne: I've got confirmation that he's in front of a monitor.

Johnny Valiant: Then roll it!

The tape rolls and you see Johnny Valiant standing with Bam Bam Bigelow in the locker room area. Nobody else appears to be around and Bigelow has his gym bag over his shoulder.

Johnny Valiant: Bam Bam, last week we heard Masa Saito's version of what happened in Japan and I have to say, it didn't paint you in a great light....

Bam Bam Bigelow: You think I care what he has to say? I know what happened, I was there.

Johnny Valiant: He really doesn't have a reason to lie.

Bam Bam Bigelow: And I do? All I want is to settle things, once and for all.

Johnny Valiant: And how do you plan on going about that?

Bam Bam Bigelow: Me and Saito, one on one at Superclash VII in the only match that fits us...a respect match.

Johnny Valiant: You're challenging Saito to a respect match?

Bam Bam Bigelow: I don't repeat myself JV. Now you take that message and go find your little hero.

With that, the tape ends and the cameras focus in backstage where Masa Saito was watching with his translator. Saito's eyes grow narrow as the translator finishes up, then he responds in harsh Japanese, very angry. The translator takes it in, then looks to the camera.

Masa Saito Translator: Masa Saito say if Bam Bam Bigelow want respect match next week, then Bam Bam Bigelow get respect match next week. But Bam Bam Bigelow better be prepared to have respect beaten into him.

Saito barks out something else to the translator and the two walk off screen, allowing the cameras to focus back in on the announce crew.

Greg Gagne: Well it looks as if we've got another match added to our huge card for next week.

Johnny Valiant: This has been a strange rivalry I guess you'd call it, so thankfully it ends next week.

Greg Gagne: In a respect match, the winner is the man who can make his opponent say "I respect you". Who has the advantage?

Johnny Valiant: You would think Bam Bam, who's notoriously ruthless, might...but Masa Saito has been known to hand out beatings. Really, it could go either way, but I guarantee it will not be pretty.

Greg Gagne: Anytime this first competitor, The Nightstalker, is in action, it's bound to get pretty violent pretty quickly as well. He's up first though, taking on Tommy Jammer!

Nightstalker vs. Tommy Jammer

Nightstalker attacked Jammer as soon as he stepped through the ropes, stomping him down to the mat before picking him up and standing him against the ropes. Nightstalker drove repeated forearms into Jammer's chest, then whipped Jammer into the ropes. Nightstalker took Jammer down with a big boot, then looked out to Ox Baker, who gave him the signal to end things early. Nightstalker was happy to oblige, using all the strength in his body to lift Jammer into the air, then fell with him during the falling powerbomb. Nightstalker made the cover and got the three count.

Winner: Nightstalker

Nightstalker didn't even break a sweat during the match, but once he saw Ken Patera charging the ring, he took off running and sweat formed on his brow. Patera didn't follow him out of the ring, instead grabbing a microphone and leaning over the top rope, shouting at Nightstalker.

Ken Patera: They didn't even know if he'd walk again, let alone wrestle. He sat in that hospital bed, barely able to move, all because you can't take a loss. A loss to me! Brad didn't have anything to do with this Nightstalker, it was between you...and me. Oh, he's gonna be ok. As soon as I found out he'd be back in the ring in just a couple weeks, I knew what I had to do. I had to come find you and extract my revenge! Me and you Nightstalker, next week at Superclash VII! I guarantee only one of us is walking out of the Metrodome.

Nightstalker continues to back up the rampway, eyes focused on Patera, but clearly not wanting to go anywhere near the incensed man as the scene fades to commercial.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

Returning from commercials, Greg Gagne is seated next to Johnny Valiant as the arm wrestling table is being set up in the ring.

Greg Gagne: The last few weeks, Scott Norton has been on a mission to prove that he is the strongest man in wrestling and thus far, he's been successful.

Johnny Valiant: He's been successful thus far, but I'm sure somebody will get him. Norton's strong, but there's always someone stronger.

Greg Gagne: In that sense then, there is no strongest man.

Johnny Valiant: Well, then there's no strongest man Gagne. What's your point?

Greg Gagne: Nevermind. Scott Norton's set to take on another challenger, but who will it be this week?

Johnny Valiant: As if they don't have enough going on...

Greg Gagne: It's one half of the tag team champions, Paul Roma!

Johnny Valiant: I think Furnas had a better chance last week than Roma does this week.

Greg Gagne: Now now, let's give him a chance.

Paul Roma vs. Scott Norton

Norton stood with his hands on his hip, wondering if this was serious. Roma slid into the ring, then posed, flexing both biceps while showing off one half of the tag titles around his waist. He decides to keep the belt on during the competition and approaches the table, running his hands through his hair. He goes to lock up with Norton and Norton's hand slides right off of Roma's. The hair grease is obviously a problem and Roma has to towel off before trying again. They finally get the lock-up right and the whistle blows to start the event. Roma pulls his hand away, raising it into the air while jumping up and down, celebrating. He's informed that the whistle was just to start the match and Roma puts his hand next to Norton's again. This time you can see Norton grab the hand and he's got quite a grip on it. The whistle blows and Norton slams Roma's hand down with no problem, holding it on the table and looking at Roma before finally releasing him.

Roma rolls out of the ring, then yells at Norton. Norton turns and Roma points to his tag title belt, telling Norton that he doesn't have any gold. Norton yells out to Roma, then yells at random to anyone who'll listen, shouting that he's the man around here while the cameras roll to commercial.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

Returning from commercial, Marc Mero is seen making his way down the aisle, high fiving the fans in his black boxing shorts. There's a black man next to him in long white tights, kinda dancing his way down the aisle, highfiving the fans, but definately into the music.

Greg Gagne: Marc Mero made the challenge last week and said he'd have a partner. What do you know about him?

Johnny Valiant: A young up and comer who loves to take to the air. His name is Charles Skaggs, but I guess he's going by Charlie.

Greg Gagne: So he should bring a lot of energy to the match?

Johnny Valiant: If given the chance, yes.

Greg Gagne: Let's get to the ring and see what these two can do as a team then!

First Class Connection vs. Marc Mero/Charlie Skaggs

Mero started things off, taking Chris Adams down with a hip toss, then dropkicking him back into the ropes. He charged and Adams lifted him over the top, but Mero landed on the apron. When Adams turned, Mero drove his shoulder into the midsection, then came over the top for a sunset flip. Adams dropped down, then reached to the ropes, getting a two count out of the illegal pin. Adams took Mero back down with a waistlock, then tagged in Dave Taylor while Mero tagged in Skaggs. The arena was focused on Skaggs, most having never seen him before. He writhed his neck each and every way, loosening it up, then did some sort of shouldershake before locking up with Taylor and getting shoved into the ropes. He ducked the clothesline, then came off with a crossbody, but instead of bringing Taylor down like that, he twisted it in mid-air and turned it into a flying tornado DDT! The crowd applauded the move and Taylor rolled out of the ring, not sure what he just fell victim too. Skaggs and Adams started arguing, which allowed Taylor to sneak in the ring and forearm Charlie in the back, then back suplex him towards the middle. Taylor brought Adams back into the match and Adams immediately went to work on the leg of Skaggs, putting his knee to the knee of Skaggs and bending Charlie's around. Adams then rose up and dropped down, causing knee to knee contact. Skaggs instantaneously screamed out, but Adams wasn't letting him out. Adams lifted Skaggs to his feet only to execute back to back kneebreakers. Adams went for a third, but Skaggs managed to flip backwards on the uptake. Unfortunately, he landed on his bad leg and was forced to roll over to Mero and make the tag. Mero came in with a series of boxing style punches that worked Adams over quickly, then sent him into the ropes and caught him with a samoan drop! Mero looked to be in complete control and Taylor dropped off the apron, grabbing a chair from a fan in the front row. Before Taylor could get into the ring to use it though, Jim Powers came flying down the aisle and clotheslined Taylor, knocking the chair out of his hands. In the ring, Mero planted Adams with a double arm DDT, then tagged in Skaggs, who limped up to the top turnbuckle. Mero watched as Skaggs courageously pulled off a 450 splash to Adams for the win.

Winner: Marc Mero/Charlie Skaggs

Mero and Skaggs hug in the ring, celebrating their first victory while Dave Taylor gets up on the outside and realizes what happens. He glances back just in time to see Powers backing through the curtains, smiling back at him. Taylor's face cringes in anger as the show rolls to commercial.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

The Trooper vs. Billy Robinson

Billy Robinson took a look around the arena before the bell rang, looking at all the fans and really taking it in. Once the bell rang, it was business as usual. Robinson attacked Trooper from the side, knocking him into the corner then rocking him with repeated right hands. Robinson hooks Trooper, bringing him back with a straight vertical suplex, then going for a quick cover but only getting the two. Trooper got to his feet, then showed great instinct by catching a boot from Robinson. Trooper took out Robinson's other leg, then extended both out before falling back and slingshotting Robinson into the corner. Trooper got up just in time to hook Robinson in a full nelson before he fell, then brought him back with a dragon suplex! Trooper goes for the pin but Robinson shows good heart by kicking out before the three. Trooper backs him up into the ropes, slapping him across the chest, then sending Robinson into the ropes. Trooper looks for a back body drop, but Robinson grabs him by the head and slams him backwards. Robinson bounces off the ropes, dropping a knee across the forehead of Trooper, then going for the pin again but still unable to get the three. Robinson lifts Trooper up to his shoulder, possibly looking for a shoulderbreaker but Trooper slides down Robinson's back. Trooper lifts Robinson up with a reverse suplex, slamming him into the mat. Trooper gets up to his feet, looking around before climbing up top. He stands perched and ready...once Robinson stands, Trooper delivers the flying shoulder block! Trooper hooks the leg and picks up the three count!

Winner: The Trooper

Before Trooper can even get his hand raised for the victory, Colonel DeBeers hits the ring, tackling Trooper and nailing him with wild right hands, each one connecting with Trooper's head. Trooper manages to roll DeBeers over and starts pounding him with rights of his own. Both men get to their feet but are quickly seperated by security who are doing a great job at containment. Trooper finally takes control of the situation, grabbing a mic.

Trooper: Colonel! I'm not letting what happened last month happen again. Next week at Superclash VII, I'll give you the title shot again but this time, we're doing it in a lumberjack match! That's right, ten guys on the outside, ensuring that neither one of us gets away until this is finished...for good.

Trooper drops the mic and the scene fades to commercial with both men trying to get at each other.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

The cameras come back from commercial to the locker room of Greg "The Hammer" Valentine, who's dressed in street clothes and picking his gym bag up off the floor when the door opens and Larry Zbysko walks in, World Title around his waist, "Living Legend" shirt on his chest. Valentine drops the bag and prepares for a fight, but Zbysko motions with his hand that that's not what he's here for.

Larry Zbysko: Relax tough guy. I'm not here to fight, there'll be plenty of that next weekend. I'm just here to do my good deed for the day. Some people can go there entire careers and never come close to the World Title and I don't want you to be one of those guys. So I figured, being the nice guy that I am, that I'd bring the World Title in here so you can get a really good look at it. After all, this is as close as you'll get to wearing it.

Valentine steps closer, looking right at the belt, taking a real good look.

Greg Valentine: It's mighty fine, mighty fine indeed. But bringing it here was your biggest mistake Legend.

Valentine looks up from the belt and is now nose to nose with Larry Zbysko.

Greg Valentine: I've always wanted the World Title, I've dreamt about it, I've fantasized about it, and I've longed for the day. But now that it's right here in front of me, now that I can see it, touch it, now that I can smell the blood, sweat, and tears that have been put into that belt...now there's no way I can allow myself to walk out of the Metrodome without it.

Both men are breathing heavily, staring into each other's eyes.

Larry Zbysko: Then I guess you won't walk out of the Metrodome.

All Star Wrestling fades to black.

Quick Results

Nightstalker d. Tommy Jammer

Match Reaction = 19.1%

Match Quality = 52.3%

Overall Rating = 24.9%

Marc Mero/Charlie Skaggs d. First Class Connection

Match Reaction = 19.0%

Match Quality = 54.6%

Overall Rating = 39.1%

Trooper d. Billy Robinson

Match Reaction = 25.8%

Match Quality = 61.0%

Overall Rating = 43.6%

Overall Rating of 40.0%

Writers Note: Charlie Skaggs= 2 Cold Scorpio if you're looking for a visual.

AWA Presents...

September 2nd, 1990...

from the Metrodome in Minneapolis, Minnesota....

Superclash VII!

Standard Match

Larry Zbysko vs. Greg Valentine for the AWA World Title

Respect Match

Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Masa Saito

Lumberjack Match

Trooper vs. Col. DeBeers for the AWA North American Title

Standard Match

Ken Patera vs. The Nightstalker

Standard Match

John Nord vs. Corporal Hughes

Standard Match

Young Stallions vs. First Class Connection for the AWA Tag Team Titles

Standard Match

Enigma vs. Doug Furnas

Plus Scott Norton's arm wrestling challenge will continue! Who will be the next challenger?

Writer's Note: This is the first really big event thus far with feuds ending and a lot of major matches, so I'll probably take all week to get it done and make sure it's worth reading. There'll be a surplus of backstage happenings this week though as TEW has thrown a lot at me.