AWA 90'

Sophie's Office

"Please, come in."

I motioned for the executive from ESPN to come in, directing him to a seat facing the desk, then took my seat.

Sophie: I really didn't expect you to come out here, I just thought I had to fax these renewal papers to you...

ESPN Exec: Yea, well, that's what I'm here to talk about.

Sophie: I'm not sure what there is to go over, I mean the deal's already been agreed upon, just needs a signature from you guys and we're good to go.

ESPN Exec: There's a small problem though.

Sophie: Oh?

ESPN Exec: Well, when we built that proposal, we were dealing with Eric Bischoff...

Sophie: That's ok, I looked it over and I totally agree with Eric, the deal's fine by me.

ESPN Exec: Well...the thing of it is....we made that deal under the presumption that Eric Bischoff would be running day to day operations of AWA and producing the show.

My eyes narrowed as I started to see where they were going with this.

Sophie: And now?

ESPN Exec: With Eric Bischoff now removed from the company, I'm afraid we have to re-evaluate our stance.

Sophie: Re-evaluate, right. So what happens to the extension that we've already agreed to?

ESPN Exec: As of right now, that extension is null and void.

Sophie: Sir, our contract expires tomorrow. If we don't get a deal done within twenty-four hours, then what?

ESPN Exec: Then All Star Wrestling doesn't air on ESPN.

Wow, just like that. I thought about calling Verne, figuring his expertise would greatly be of help right now, but then decided that I could handle things on my own. If I kept running to Verne for help, I'd never get the respect in the back.

Sophie: Well then, I guess it's a good thing you came down. We better get this deal taken care of.

The executive leaned forward in his seat, getting my attention.

ESPN Exec: Sophie, our offices feel that it's best for us to seperate ourselves from AWA right now.

Sophie: Seperate yourselves? I don't get it. Just three weeks ago, Eric was finalizing a deal to extend our contract and now-

I stopped myself in mid-sentencing, realizing exactly what this man was saying.

Sophie: And now, a woman's in charge.

He leaned back, squeezing his lips together, admitting it but not wanting to actually say it.

Sophie: I'm sorry you feel that way because All Star Wrestling has not only been successful on your networks, but it has continued to grow and develop with the exposure. We were both benefitting and now, we both end up hurt out of the deal.

The man went to speak, but I cut him off.

Sophie: Don't bother. Just get out of here.

The executive stood up, extending his hand. I didn't bother to shake it or even watch as he left. I waited for the door to shut, then grabbed the phone and dialed a number.

Sophie: Hey Jake, it's Sophie....listen, are you still looking to put some wrestling on the station?

In this business, it seems you're always moving on.

Edited by Typical Phenom

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully, Sophie's not calling anyone from the Learning Channel...we saw what they did for LAW. :P

Oh, wait, TLC didn't exist in 1990...well hopefully, it's not the dreaded Local Network!

The sad part is, this is probably very realistic as far as how TV executives would treat a woman in charge of a wrestling company. In 1990, wrestling was starting to lose its grip on the popular consciousness, and networks would probably seek any excuse they could find to cut wrestling off their airwaves.

Damn you, TP...now you're coming up with a sociological treatise instead of a wrestling diary. Making us all look bad. :P Ah, well...I'm just glad to be sigged up in a damn fine diary like this one. Carry on, bookerman...er, woman...er....

I don't know why this diary got pinned, but I wouldn't have found it otherwise. But the odd thing is I'm far more interested in the backstage politicing than in the in-ring action. I think I read the first couple of shows, but now I'm actively awaiting another creative meeting. I think those characters are the best flushed out of any on the show. The crusty old guy who I *know* Verne would love and links the AWA to the past, the wacky guy with brilliant or bizarre ideas (he's my fav,) the other two that seem to be more forward thinking, but not always right.

And I really enjoy the handcuffs you've given yourself with Verne Gagne being an paranoid, ye olde school promoter. "Where the men are men n' the moose are nervous!"

I promise to try and get more in to the on air talent... of course, you need to turn Corporal Hughes on Col. DeBeers because that his whole gimmick was pro-aparthied. Also, as I *loathe* Zbysko I find it hard to read his stuff and he's the focal point of your promotion.

Keep up the good backstage work... and I'll try and give the in-ring stuff another chance.

Hmm...looking back on the shows, they're actually quite well-done. But hey, while TEW says you suck, at least you're consistant with it!

I can't wait to see where this goes. The way you had the Bisch leave was good.

Of course, seeing as Showtime's resurrection of the AWA is the only thing I'm really thinking of whenever I see those initials, I apologize if I ever make certain cracks.

Superclash VII

September 2, 1990

The cameras focus in ringside on Greg Gagne and Johnny Valiant, sitting in front of a very nice sized crowd at the Metrodome.

Greg Gagne: Wow, the fans are definately into things tonight, I don't know the last time they were this loud.

Johnny Valiant: They've paid good money to see a great event and that's what we're set to deliver.

Greg Gagne: You're right about that. With three title matches, one being a lumberjack match, anything could happen tonight.

Johnny Valiant: Not to mentio Bam Bam Bigelow and Masa Saito will settle a very....very personal feud tonight in a respect match.

Greg Gagne: We're starting things off with one of three title matches. The Young Stallions will put their tag titles on the line against First Class Connection!

Young Stallions vs. First Class Connection

Paul Roma and Jim Powers got attacked as they stepped through the ropes, but within a matter of moments, Roma had turned Adams around and taken him down to the mat with an armbar while Jim Powers bench pressed Taylor over his head, then dumped him on the mat. Taylor rolled out of the ring, Powers stepped out, and the bell rang as the crowd was behind Roma in the ring. He laid Adams out on the mat, then raised up and drove a knee into his midsection. After repeating the move, Roma lifted Adams by his hair, standing him up, then using a tilt-a-whirl backbreaker to put him back down on the mat. Roma reached out and tagged in Powers. Roma opened up the chest of Adams and Powers nailed him with an open hand palm slap. Powers with a spinning belly to belly suplex, then watched as Adams crawled to the corner, tagging in Dave Taylor.

Greg Gagne: Early advantage to the Stallions and this crowd couldn't be happier about it.

Johnny Valiant: They've got the look and they're showing they've got the ability too. That's why they're the champions.

Greg Gagne: Adams and Taylor are great technicians in their own right, but they seem overwhelmed right now.

Johnny Valiant: It's their first major event here in AWA, maybe they just need to adjust to the crowd size.

Taylor comes in, getting taken right to the mat by Jim Powers. Taylor wriggles free, ending up on the back of Powers, driving his face into the mat with a half nelson. Taylor stands up, then drops an elbow to the back of his head. Taylor stands up, grabbing Powers by the ankle and lifting him into the air, then driving Powers knee first into the mat, again, and again. Taylor then turns and knocks Roma off the apron with a right hand. Roma tries sliding into the ring, but Bob Densmore steps in front of him. The two start arguing and Roma tries to let Russell know what's going on Densmore can't see that Taylor and Adams are doubleteaming Powers. They drop him throat first on the top rope, then Adams drops him back with a reverse russian leg sweep. Adams goes for the pin, but Densmore doesn't get there in time to make it a three count. Roma starts slapping the turnbuckle, trying to get the crowd behind Powers, but Adams locks in a sleeper hold, draining the crowd.

Greg Gagne: First Class Connection know how to take the crowd out of it, don't they?

Johnny Valiant: That's a great equalizer. Roma and Powers use the energy from the crowd to feul themselves. Without it, well, you see what's transpiring.

Greg Gagne: Powers is getting back to his feet, outpowering the sleeper.

Johnny Valiant: But look, Adams released it voluntarily and used a double leg takedown instead. It's as if he's one step ahead.

Greg Gagne: Powers is back to his feet, but Adams is charging from behind!

Powers turns just in time to duck a clothesline from Adams, then uses a gutbuster to leave Adams laying as Powers falls to the mat himself. Both men are down on the mat and trying to make it to their partners. Adams gets to Taylor first, but Powers gets to Roma within seconds and Roma comes in, taking Taylor down with a right hand, and another then knocking Adams down with a right hand. He turns back to Taylor, lifting him into the air and down with a military press. Roma signals to the crowd, then waits as Taylor gets to his feet. Roma takes him back down with a flying back elbow, then goes for the pin, but Adams breaks it up! Powers into the ring and punches Adams back to the corner. Roma heads to the top rope this time and lands a huge elbow drop into the chest of Taylor! Roma hooks the leg and gets the three count!

Winner: Young Stallions

Roma and Powers raise the belts high, then both climb to their own turnbuckles and do a double bicep flex, giving the ladies in the crowd what they want. The Young Stallions get a good response from the crowd, mostly from the ladies, as they make their way to the back.

Greg Gagne: I don't think we could have started things off with a better match. It got the fans into it and set the tone for what's to come.

Johnny Valiant: The first title defense is a successful one, but that won't necessarily effect the other two outcomes.

Greg Gagne: Not at all, we'll just have to wait and see about those. And if you look at Scott Norton stepping into the ring, or look down the aisleway, it looks like we're getting ready for a special visit...

The backstage help was carrying the arm wrestling table into the ring, setting it up while Scott Norton looked on, yelling at the fans and pointing to the table. As usual, he was daring someone to get in the ring with him.

Greg Gagne: While they're setting up the table, what are your thoughts on this whole thing Johnny? Shouldn't Norton focus on wrestling?

Johnny Valiant: Norton's proving a point, that he's the strongest man around. If that's what he wants to do, then so be it.

Greg Gagne: Being the strongest man won't get you the World Title.

Johnny Valiant: Nobody said he wanted the World Title though Greg. He just wants to get out there and show his strength.

Greg Gagne: Well, he's got a huge test in front of him tonight Johnny. This man may not be chiseled, but he's got incredible raw strength...

The music of Nikita Koloff hits and the fans erupt, knowing that he's come out to participate in the arm wrestling challenge. Norton stares at Koloff all the way down the aisle and into the ring.

Johnny Valiant: This could definately be one of Norton's toughest tests, but I'm not so sure how strong Koloff is. He's powerful, and he can dish out pain, but arm wrestling is about pure strength.

Greg Gagne: I think he's going to pull it off, but let's go to the ring and see.

Scott Norton vs. Nikita Koloff

Koloff steps up to the table, him and Norton staring each other in the eyes. Koloff puts his arm on the table first, challenging Norton. Norton obliges, locking hands with Koloff. The whistle blows and Koloff is off to a great start, already having Norton's hand nearing the table. Norton looks up at Koloff with a sense of desperation and then starts battling back, reaching deep down to even things out, but that's as far as he can get it. Koloff starts to bring Norton's hand back down, but Norton lets out a primal scream, causing Koloff to look up and take his mind off the action. Norton quickly slams Koloff's hand to the table, then raises his hands victoriously.

Winner: Scott Norton

Greg Gagne: Scott Norton remains victorious and I can't think of anyone who's going to stop his streak.

Johnny Valiant: I know that I'm not getting in there anytime soon, he might rip my shoulder right out.

Greg Gagne: Koloff was the one I thought could do it.

Johnny Valiant: Raw power's different from brute strength. Just don't ask me how.

Greg Gagne: I wouldn't dream of it. One man who might be able to do it is Ken Patera, but he's been busy in recent weeks, trying to fight off The Nightstalker.

Johnny Valiant: Nightstalker had a hard time accepting the loss to Patera and eventually took it out on Brad RHeingans. tonight, he has to deal with Patera, which might not prove to be so easy.

Greg Gagne: Nightstalker's in the ring and Ox Baker is barking directions already. This should be a good fight.

Ken Patera vs. The Nightstalker

Patera slides into the ring and immediately starts towards Nightstalker. Scott Ledoux is there to step in between the two but Nightstalker isn't showing any signs of backing down. Ledoux calls for the bell but there's no locking up. Patera and Nightstalker go right at each other with hard right hands, Nightstalker getting the better of the exchange and sending Patera into the ropes before using a spinebuster to stop Patera cold. Nightstalker drops his knee into the inner knee of Patera, then pulls on his ankle, really putting the pressure on the joints. Nightstalker releases the hold, only to stand up and drop the knee into the exact same spot, seemingly testing the pain threshold of Ken. Nightstalker lifts himself back up, then drives the knee into Ken one more time before standing up and shouting out to the crowd.

Greg Gagne: The intensity of The Nightstalker is unmatched.

Johnny Valiant: He seems to be keyed into the knee of Ken Patera.

Greg Gagne: Ken's body can't hold up like it used to, this might be too much.

Johnny Valiant: It won't take too much more if Nightstalker keeps this up.

Nightstalker stands back, watching Patera get to his feet, limping. Nightstalker zones in, then stomps Patera in the back of the knee. Patera temporarily drops to one knee, then gets back up again only to have Nightstalker stomp the back of his right knee again! Nightstalker lifts Patera into the air with a two handed choke, but while holding him up, Patera starts in with some punches, connecting to the forehead of Nightstalker. Nightstalker drops Patera to the mat and Patera lands on his feet. Patera with a belly to belly overhead suplex, sending Nightstalker halfway across the ring! Nightstalker gets back to his feet, charging at Patera with his arms up. Patera wraps his arms around Nightstalker's midsection, sliding behind him and dropping him back with a german suplex!

Greg Gagne: Patera is showing his technical ability, but it seems like these moves are more defensive than offensive.

Johnny Valiant: You're exactly right about that Gagne. It's as if he's pulling them off out of desperation.

Greg Gagne: If he can mount a serious offensive attack, he may be able to get himself into this match.

Patera backs Nightstalker into the corner, then climbs up, stopping on the second turnbuckle, then drives ten right hands into the side of Nightstalker's head. The crowd counted along and when he got to the tenth, he jumped off and watched as Nightstalker fell face first out of the corner and into the mat. Patera rolled Nightstalker over and went for a pin, but only got a two before Nightstalker shoved him off. Patera and Nightstalker get to their feet and Patera uses a right hand to set up an irish whip into the ropes. Patera goes up for a dropkick, but Nightstalker hangs onto the ropes and Patera lands flat on his back. Nightstalker grabs Patera's legs, extending them, kicking him on the inside of the knee, then slingshots him into the ropes. Patera bounces off and walks right into a backbreaker from Nightstalker! Patera uses the ropes to get to his feet and Nightstalker grabs him, trying to send him into the ropes on the opposite side of the ring. Patera bounces off and recieves another tilt-a-whirl backbreaker. Nightstalker laughs as he picks Patera up, hanging him upside down in the tree of woe. Nightstalker charges in, ramming his knee and side of his body into Patera, knocking the air out of him and causing him to fall to the mat lifeless. Nightstalker hoists Patera into the air and drives him down to the mat with a thundering powerbomb, making the pin and finally ending this assault.

Winner: The Nightstalker

Ox Baker slides into the ring, raising The Nightstalker's hand. Nightstalker looks down at Patera and smiles, adding one more victim to his total. Baker leads Nightstalker out of the ring and to the back.

Greg Gagne: Some people have dubbed The Nightstalker a future world Champion and with a display like that, can you argue?

Johnny Valiant: Nightstalker can do anything he wants in this business, as long as Ox Baker approves.

Greg Gagne: With Baker's leadership, he's a force to be reckoned with.

Johnny Valiant: Let's just hope Baker leads him in the right direction, towards the World Title.

Greg Gagne: A beast like that, misdirected...that could be dangerous to everyone.

Johnny Valiant: So far, we've had some great clean action, but this next match, I have a bad feeling that Nord doesn't know what he's getting into.

Greg Gagne: Against Corporal Hughes?

Johnny Valiant: Hughes doesn't care about winning or losing, he just does what DeBeers tells him to. DeBeers instructed him to destroy Nord and that's what he's going to try and do.

Greg Gagne: Nord's no slouch, let's see what happens.

John Nord vs. Corporal Hughes

Hughes started things off, backing Nord into the corner, driving his forearm into Nord's chest repeatedly, then using a two handed choke until Ledoux broke it up, using the five second rule. Hughes decided to use his boot to choke Nord next, again only getting five seconds until Ledoux broke it up. Hughes grabbed Nord, yelling something at him, then sent him all the way across the ring, the force sending Nord chest first into the corner and making him land backfirst on impact. Hughes fell to the mat, dropping a first to the forehead of Nord. He went for a confident pin and Nord surprised him by kicking out at one. Hughes didn't bother getting up, instead just laying on the mat and driving repeated closed fists into Nord's forehead, each one looking worse than the previous. Hughes makes another over-confident cover and is surprised when Nord still kicks out, this time at two. Hughes stands, pulling Nord up to his feet, driving two more right hands into Nord's forehead before lifting him into the air and planting him on the canvas with a scoop slam. Hughes drops for another cover, but again only gets a two count before Nord raises his hand into the air, ensuring the match continues. Hughes, showing signs of anger, tosses Nord up and over the top rope to the outside, then slides underneath the bottom rope to join him.

Greg Gagne: Hughes isn't content with beating Nord up inside the ring, he wants to use the outside too!

Johnny Valiant: There's more dangerous weapons outside Greg. Hughes is trying to send a message.

Greg Gagne: Nord's had no offense so far and after all those right hands, is lucky to even be able to get up.

Johnny Valiant: He's up alright, but he doesn't know Hughes is out there with him.

Nord turns around and walks right into a sidewalk slam from Hughes, driving him into the thin blue mat covering the cold, hard concrete. Hughes slowly pulls Nord to his feet, jawing with the crowd, taking his time before sending Nord tumbling into the steel ringsteps. They don't fall over, they stand stiff and Nord stops cold when he hits them, falling to the mat. Hughes cracks a smile as he stalks his prey, grabbing Nord and this time sending him back first into the steel guardrail, Nord coming off clutching his back and walking into another sidewalk slam on the concrete!

Greg Gagne: This is just sick Johnny, this is a complete dismemberment of John Nord, who wears that AWA shirt with pride.

Johnny Valiant: Nord signed up for the match Greg, it's his choice.

Greg Gagne: This isn't a no DQ, no countout match, why isn't Ledoux enforcing the rules.

Johnny Valiant: Ledoux knows this is a big match, he's showing some leniancy.

Ledoux was counting though and Hughes rolled in real quick to stop the count. Hughes rolled back though and was ready to continue the assault. He lifted Nord into the air, dropping him chin first across the top of the steel guardrail, Nord's face bouncing off with a sickening sound. Hughes eyes the steel ringsteps again, then pulls Nord to his feet. He sends him into the steps again and they still don't budge, but Nord goes tumbling over the steps! Hughes walks over slowly, stalking towards Nord. He comes to the ring steps and leans over them, going to grab Nord. A thud is heard throughout the arena and Hughes stumbles backwards. Nord stands up, raising a two by four high into the air and getting huge cheers from the crowd!

Greg Gagne: He's got the two by four, he's got the two by four! I thought...

Johnny Valiant: Yea, I thought so too. I don't know what this is all about folks, but John Nord has that two by four raised high.

Greg Gagne: Hughes looks woozy standing there...

Nord raises the two by four, then charges at Hughes, running the two by four right into his face, knocking him down. Scott Ledoux calls for the bell, but Nord doesn't seem too care. He drives the two by four into the midsection of Hughes, then raises it high into the air, getting another huge pop from the crowd.

Winner: Corporal Hughes

Hughes may have picked up the win, but Nord walked out on his own accord. He may have taken a beating, but he damn sure gave one too and he never gave up.

Greg Gagne: Nord's walking out with his head held high, but what happened to the good, clean action we were seeing?

Johnny Valiant: Once Nord found that two by four, it was as good as over.

Greg Gagne: What does that mean for the rest of the show?

Johnny Valiant: Apparently, all bets are off. From now on, anything goes as far as I can tell.

Greg Gagne: That certainly applies for our next match, the match that I have personally been looking forward to, the respect match.

Johnny Valiant: A deep rooted hatred for each other and the object is to admit respect? This could go all night.

Greg Gagne: It's not going to be pretty. Put the kids to bed, the respect match is now!

Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Masa Saito

Bigelow stared at Saito with eyes that would intimidate the meanest of the mean. Saito was unphased and even bowed his head in a Japanese tradition of respect. Bigelow tried to take advantage of that and attack Saito, but that's what he counted on. He raised up, chopping Bigelow in the chest and stopping his progress. Saito unleases another brutal chop and Bigelow takes a step backwards. A third chop and Bigelow backs himself up into the ropes. Saito with a fourth chop and Bigelow clutches at his chest. Saito takes Bigelow down with a head scissors takedown, causing him to land sitting up. Saito follows that with a stiff kick to the back of Bigelow, who falls to the mat, his right hand holding his lower back. Saito sits Bigelow back up, then measures him up, delivering a spinning kick to Bigelow's chest, knocking him down to his back. Saito grabs Bigelow by the ankle and quickly puts on an ankle lock, taking advantage while he can.

Greg Gagne: Smart move by Saito, a submission hold is a great way to get your opponent to give it up, or in this case say the magic words.

Johnny Valiant: Yea it is Greg. Beating someone senseless can have the same effect, but there's a sick pleasure that comes with bending someone's body the wrong way.

Greg Gagne: Definately sounds sick.

Bigelow is close enough that he reaches out and is able to grab the bottom rope, breaking the submission move, but he's still on the defensive. Saito stood by, poised, waiting for Bigelow to get to his feet. The second he did, Saito delivered a swift kick to the back of Bigelow's knee, bending him down, then spun and connected with a back elbow that knocked Bigelow to the mat. Bigelow showed good ring presence and rolled to the outside, realizing things weren't going his way inside. Before he could catch his breath though, Saito followed, coming up behind Bigelow. Bigelow stopped him with a back elbow to the midsection, then grabbed Saito and rammed him face first into the guardrail. Bigelow grabbed Saito and again rammed him face first into the guardrail. An irish whip to the steel steps and Bigelow rolled into the ring, still trying to find a moment to catch his breath.

Greg Gagne: And now the surroundings have become part of the match. Bam Bam using the steel on the outside to his advantage.

Johnny Valiant: In a match like this, you use whatever you can find. If someone's going to put steel ring steps there, then use em.

Greg Gagne: Bigelow couldn't follow up the attack though, could conditioning play a role in this match?

Johnny Valiant: Conditioning will definately play a role, but don't let Bam Bam fool you. He's not in bad shape, but those kicks from Saito were perfectly placed and they were meant to take the wind out of Bigelow.

Saito pulled himself off the mat on the outside and slowly lifted himself up to the apron and rolled in under the bottom rope. Bigelow instantly dropped down with a headbutt to the shoulder of Saito, stood back up and dropped another headbutt to the shoulder, stood back up, and dropped a third headbutt, this time to the forehead of Saito! Bigelow shook off any effects he may have felt, then pulled Saito to his feet, knowing he was feeling woozy from the blow. Bigelow lifted Saito up to his shoulder, then brought him down with a shoulderbreaker to the same left shoulder that received duplicate headbutts. Bigelow allowed Saito to fall to the mat, holding his shoulder. Bigelow forced Saito's hand out, extending the arm, then dropped a knee to Saito's shoulder, repeating the move immediately after. Bigelow then went for an unorthodox move for him, opting to lock in a code red armbar on Saito, pulling back and trying to seperate the shoulder! Saito screams out and reaches for safety, but finds nothing. Bigelow continues to lean back, increasing the pressure and even shaking the arm to help matters out. Saito rolls towards Bigelow and manages to chop him with his free hand. Bigelow breaks the hold and gets to his feet. Not waiting for Saito, Bigelow stomps him in the chest, then backs into the ropes, stepping forward and leaping for a big splash but Saito rolled out of the way and Bigelow landed hard on the mat!

Greg Gagne: A big move if it would've paid off, but now Saito can get the advantage back.

Johnny Valiant: Bigelow's still getting to his feet first, I wouldn't be too sure about Saito getting the advantage.

Greg Gagne: Bigelow's on his feet, but Saito just performed a leg sweep, knocking him back down!

Saito kips up, landing in a position with his knees bent, ready to strike. Bigelow stands and Saito attacks, using another vicious chop to the chest of Bigelow. Two more deafening chops and Bigelow's leaning over, holding his chest which has to be beat red from the attack. Saito drives his shoulder into Bigelow's midsection, then falls back with him, looking for a northern lights suplex, but as soon as they hit the mat, Saito rolls off, holding his shoulder, which is still effected from the Bigelow shoulderbreakers. Saito knows he has to keep going and goes for the pin, but there are no pinfalls in this match. Saito gets to his feet just before Bigelow and is able to send him into the corner. Saito charges, leaps, and delivers a big avalanche, pushing himself off Bigelow upon impact. Bigelow starts to fall forward and Saito helps him out, grabbing his head and bulldogging him to the middle of the mat. Saito leaves Bigelow lying face first on the mat, then bounces off the ropes, dropping a legdrop across the back of Bigelow's head, driving him into the mat! Saito stands up, looks at the damage he's done, then delivers another legdrop to the back of Bigelow's head! Saito rolls Bigelow over, yelling at him, asking him if he gives up in Japanese. Bigelow continually shakes his head. Saito open hands him right across the face, then asks again. Bigelow still shakes his head. Saito with another open hand slap, but Bigelow still refuses. Saito pulls Bigelow to his feet, standing him in place, then bouncing off the ropes and dropkicking the side of Bigelow's knees! Bigelow crumbles to the mat. Saito doesn't stop there, now showing incredible ruthlessness. Saito lays next to Bigelow, locking in a crossface and pulling back on Bigelow's head as referee Bob Densmore leans in, asking Bigelow if he's still in it. Bigelow refuses to give up but Saito keeps leaning farther and farther back, really extending the neck and shoulder of Bigelow.

Greg Gagne: If Bigelow doesn't give it up soon, he could be in for career damage.

Johnny Valiant: You're right about that. It's a matter of pride versus brains. In this case, he has too much of one and not enough of the other.

Greg Gagne: Saito's pulling so hard on this move, how can Bigelow not give in?

Johnny Valiant: Pride and brains Gagne, pride and brains.

Saito leans forward, then falls back again, trying to get Bigelow to give it up, but Bigelow's constant refusal finally forces Saito to release the hold, letting Bigelow's head fall to the canvas. Bigelow holds his shoulder and neck, obviously in a lot of pain. Saito, not easing up an inch, bounces off the ropes and delivers a sliding dropkick to the neck region of Bigelow. Saito smacks Bigelow in the back of the head, a sign of sure frustration, then helps him up to his feet. Saito leans Bigelow against the ropes, then charges for a clothesline. Bigelow lifts Saito up and over the top rope, but Saito lands on the apron. Saito tries to drive his shoulder into Bigelow, but Bigelow blocks that, then hooks Saito for a vertical suplex, lifting him over the top rope, turning and changing it to a powerslam, shaking the ring on impact. Bigelow stands up, wobbly and clearly not feeling great. He spots Saito, then manages to drop a legdrop across Saito's throat, returning the favor from earlier. Bigelow is slow getting to his feet, but does so before Saito. Bigelow lifts Saito into the air, then falls to his seat, driving Saito into the mat with a falcon's arrow. Bigelow falls back to the mat, unable to get back up and capitalize on the move. Saito actually gets to his feet first, though stumbling as well. He sends Bigelow into the ropes, but Bigelow surprises him by coming off the ropes and driving his head into Saito's midsection, almost tackling him. Saito bends over, losing his breath. Bigelow gets back up, lifting Saito into the air, then driving him headfirst to the canvas with an impact DDT! Bigelow eyes the top rope and starts the climb, stopping with one boot perched on the highest point. He looks at Saito, then lifts himself into the air and comes crashing down with a huge super headbutt! Bigelow bounces off and both men lay in the ring, chests heaving, neither one able to get back up.

Greg Gagne: We said this was going to be brutal and thus far, it's lived up to the expectations.

Johnny Valiant: Brutal in a competitive way. There's been no cheating, no weapons, just two men wanting to destroy each other.

Greg Gagne: It's a lot different than what I'm expecting out of the main event later on.

Johnny Valiant: Zbysko and Valentine will show a scientific style, a much slower pace and a well thought out match. These two are just fighting.

Both men struggle, but get to their feet. Saito eyes Bam Bam and delivers another ear piercing chop to the chest and the look of pain on Bigelow's face says it all. Saito with another chop, but this time Bam Bam sucks in the pain and responds with a forearm. Saito responds with an open hand chop this time, slapping his palm against Bigelow's chest. Bigelow steps forward with another forearm, backing Saito up. Saito tries to stop Bigelow, this time with a kick, but Bigelow keeps coming, delivering another forearm, then another and Saito finds himself against the ropes. Bigelow lifts Saito up, turning him upside down. Bigelow spins towards the middle of the ring, jumps, and drives Saito's head into the mat with a piledriver! Bigelow stands up, bending over into Saito's face, telling him to say it. Saito responds with an open hand slap to Bigelow's face. The rage contorts Bam Bam's features and he instantly drives his head into Saito's. Bigelow lays over Saito, repeatedly driving his head into Saito's face, over and over and over and over.

Greg Gagne: He's completely snapped!

Johnny Valiant: I don't think anyone at home really understands the impact of a skull connecting with a face. What he's doing to Saito could be deadly.

Greg Gagne: Isn't that a little extreme?

Johnny Valiant: That's a skull driving with force into Saito's facial structure. This is hard to watch.

Bob Densmore finally steps in between Saito and Bigelow, forcing Bigelow off after roughly eight consecutive headbutts. Bam Bam still has a look of absolute rage on his face and his breathing shows how pumped he really is. As Densmore moves out of the way, you can see Saito's face for the first time, his cheek bone already starting to change colors, his jaw looking like it's been dislocated, his eye swelling and no longer opening. Densmore's talking with Saito, trying to find out his condition. Bigelow steps over there, pulling Densmore out of the way and looking to attack more, but before he does, Saito catches his attention and says something to him. Bigelow stops in his tracks and Densmore calls for the bell.

Greg Gagne: Wait, what happened? Is it over?

Densmore gave the word and the decision came down. Masa Saito had told Bam Bam Bigelow that he respected him, making Bam Bam Bigelow the winner.

Winner: Bam Bam Bigelow

Bam Bam takes one last look at Saito, not showing remorse, but more in awe of the damage he caused. He then slides out of the ring, holding his neck as he makes his way to the back. Saito is helped out by EMT's, half carrying him to the back, checking on his face as they do.

Greg Gagne: I really don't know what to say after that. Did you see Masa Saito's face?

Johnny Valiant: Of course I saw his face Greg, we all saw his face. It looked hideous Greg and he'll probably never be the same. What the hell else do you want me to say about it? This match shouldn't have happened, but it did and that's that.

Gagne looks at Valiant, who is visibly emotional about what just transpired. Gagne doesn't quite know what to do at this point but breaks the silence anyway.

Greg Gagne: While we get things cleared up for the next match-up, let's take a look at what's led to The Trooper and Colonel DeBeers, here in a lumberjack match.

A video package quickly rolls, escaping the current scene. It shows clips of the match from Superbrawl VI where Col. DeBeers won by countout, allowing Trooper to remain the champion. It shows them being seperated by security, time and time again. Then it shows the altercation where John Nord made the save. It shows Trooper, then DeBeers, then the AWA North American Title, then the image crumbles away and you see Corporal Hughes, Scott Norton, Texas Hangmen Killer, Texas Hangmen Psycho, Magnus Vaara, John Nord, Tommy Jammer, Todd Becker, Tom Bennett and Doug Furnas surrounding the ring.

Greg Gagne: Those are our lumberjacks and I have to admit, I'm curious to see if Hughes and Nord can avoid each other or if their earlier match will come into play.

Johnny Valiant: I'm sure it will Greg, but it won't effect the outcome of this one.

Greg Gagne: There won't be a countout, someone's walking out of here the winner and the winner's walking out with the North American Title.

The Trooper vs. Colonel DeBeers

The two men circled each other, both looking outside at the wrestlers surrounding the action, wrestlers put there to ensure that these two finished the match where it belongs...in the ring. DeBeers struck first, but Trooper's response was overwhelming, a series of right hands followed by a clothesline that sent DeBeers over the top! DeBeers saw everyone closing in on him and quickly rolled back into the ring. Once back in the ring, he turned to look at the vultures, but that allowed Trooper to take him down from behind with a side suplex. Trooper rolls over and stands perched. DeBeers gets back up and walks right into a standing spinebuster from Trooper, who slams him back the same place he picked him up. Trooper hooks the leg, but DeBeers isn't done yet and kicks out at two. Trooper backs DeBeers into the turnbuckle, climbing up to the second turnbuckle, then posing before driving ten straight right hands into the side of DeBeer's head. Trooper doesn't hop down right away though, instead drawing in more cheers from the crowd. DeBeers takes advantage and lifts Trooper up, bringing him down with an inverted atomic drop. Trooper stands, holding himself and DeBeers decides to be mean and gives him a second inverted atomic drop. DeBeers delivers a jawbreaker to Trooper, but that doesn't quite take him off his feet. Trooper stumbles around for a second, falling into the ropes, then back to the middle of the ring where DeBeers locks in a sleeper hold, tightening it and forcing Trooper to finally stand still.

Greg Gagne: DeBeers trying to slow Trooper down and the sleeper's a great move for that.

Johnny Valiant: Trooper relies on his high energy offense, so taking it away is a great gameplan for DeBeers.

Greg Gagne: Does Corporal Hughes being on the outside effect this match at all? Or is he just another body?

Johnny Valiant: Well, these other guys, they could turn on anyone at anytime, but Hughes, we know who he pledges allegiance too. He's completely subserviant to DeBeers and that could definately play to the Colonel's advantage.

Trooper has dropped to both knees in the ring and is slumping forward with DeBeers now able to use height to his advantage and increase the pressure. Trooper slumps all the way down to the mat, his body laying prone on the canvas, his eyes closed but looking towards the lights. DeBeers releases the sleeper, then looks at his victim, out cold from the sleeper. DeBeers drops to his knees, slowly making the cover, then looking shocked when LeDoux's hand only hit the mat twice. DeBeers thought it had to be a mistake and demanded LeDoux count again and this time, his hand barely even hit the second time. DeBeers pulls Trooper up to his feet, sending him hard into the corner with an irish whip. So hard, in fact, that Trooper bounced back out and DeBeers spun him in the air before delivering a stiff backbreaker. Trooper falls to the match, holding his back and DeBeers takes full advantage, rolling Trooper to his side, then driving the knee into the small of Trooper's back. He repeats this two more times before attempting another pin, still unable to get the full three count. DeBeers gets frustrated and runs Trooper up and over the top rope, sending him outside to deal with the lumberjacks for a minute. Trooper is immediately met by Corporal Hughes, delivering boots to his back. Norton, The Hangmen, and Vaara also join in on the stomping until the good guys save the day, allowing Trooper to slide into the "safety" of the ring. There he's met by a boot from DeBeers, who again goes for the cover, but can't get the three. DeBeers stands up, a look of disgust on his face, then rolls Trooper onto his stomach. DeBeers puts on a camel clutch, seating himself on Trooper's lower back, trying to force the submission.

Greg Gagne: DeBeers still keeping Trooper stabilized and it's working to his advantage.

Johnny Valiant: He came in with a gameplan and he's executing. He's looking like championship material right now.

Greg Gagne: Trooper's in pain, but there's really nowhere for him to go. What do you in this position?

Johnny Valiant: Like you said, he's practically immobilized when the camel clutch is on right. Unless he finds some incredible power, he can't crawl to the ropes so he just has to hope that DeBeers gives up the submission.

Greg Gagne: What are the odds on that?

Johnny Valiant: Horrible.

Trooper continues to refuse when asked to submit, but DeBeers shows just as much stubborness in keeping the hold locked in place. Trooper tries pushing himself up off the mat, but DeBeers stands up and sits down hard on Trooper's back, driving him back to the mat. Trooper screams out, but DeBeers keeps the pressure on. Trooper reaches around, trying to find a rope, even trying to crawl, but no luck. DeBeers hands are starting to slip up, now on the face of The Trooper rather than under his chin. Trooper notices this and opens his mouth, biting down on DeBeers hand! DeBeers is forced to release the hold and Trooper collapses to the mat, the pain showing in his face. DeBeers shakes off his hand, then punches Trooper in the back of the head before picking him up. He again tosses him to the outside through the ropes, but this time Trooper lands on his feet, pulls DeBeers legs out from under him and slides him to the outside, sliding into the ring himself. Nord is the first on the scene, putting his boots to DeBeers, but Corporal Hughes breaks that up, knocking Nord back and challenging anyone else. He then grabs his Colonel and rolls him back into the ring.

Greg Gagne: DeBeers didn't even get touched on the outside!

Johnny Valiant: That answer your question about Hughes factoring in?

Trooper is still down in the ring, not even knowing that DeBeers is back in until the boot comes crashing down in his gut. DeBeers picks Trooper up, sending him back first into the corner, then charging in with a clothesline. DeBeers with a right hand to the face of Trooper, then hooks him and drops him back first with a vertical suplex. Trooper bounces off the mat, again clutching at his back. Trooper manages to kick out of the pin attempt again, then reverses an irish whip and takes DeBeers down with a flying right hand. DeBeers gets up and charges at Trooper while he's near the ropes. Trooper lifts him up and over to the outside! Again, Hughes stands next to the Colonel, challenging anyone to come near. Trooper sees what's going on and connects with a baseball slide, knocking Hughes to the ground. A fight breaks out on the outside with DeBeers getting taken down by Nord and everyone else just going at one another. DeBeers gets rolled into the ring and Trooper follows as the lumberjacks continue to trade blows with each other. Trooper with a bodyslam to DeBeers, then looks around the arena, the fans getting louder and louder as he turns. Trooper slaps his shoulder a couple of times, then starts the climb to the top. He stands perched on the top turnbuckle, waiting for DeBeers. Two of the lumberjacks break out from the brawl and one of them hops up to the apron!

Greg Gagne: Todd Becker is on the apron, what the heck's he doin up there?

Johnny Valiant: He's talking to Trooper, but Tom Bennett is on the other apron and Trooper doesn't see him...

Bennett shoves Trooper off the top turnbuckle, sending him tumbling through the air until he's met with a loud thud in the middle of the ring. DeBeers looks at the two on the apron and smiles, raising his hand to his forehead. Becker and Bennett salute the Colonel back, then watch as DeBeers delivers the facebuster to Trooper, rolling him over for the pin. Three seconds later, there's a new North American Champion.

Winner: Col. DeBeers

DeBeers sees the lumberjacks joining the ring and quickly rolls out, grabbing the North American Title and backing up the rampway. Nord and Hughes go at it, Becker and Bennett attack Nord. All hell breaks loose in the ring while DeBeers backs up the rampway, North American Title held high.

Greg Gagne: I don't know what to think about Becker and Bennett, but they helped DeBeers, that can only mean one thing...

Johnny Valiant: It looks like they've enlisted too, which is good because let's face it, their careers were going absolutely nowhere.

Greg Gagne: I'm all for the betterment of their careers, but I can't condone them costing a man his title.

Johnny Valiant: That's the business Gagne. DeBeers outsmarted Trooper, using the lumberjack idea to his advantage and that's why he's left the ring with the NA Title.

Greg Gagne: As the ring clears, we're approaching our main event. This one has been brewing since the day that Greg Valentine stepped into the AWA. He made a challenge for the belt and now, nearly 4 months later, he's finally getting that chance.

Johnny Valiant: Zbysko's carried that belt with pride, he's beaten every man who's stepped in the ring with him, he will emerge victorious, again....tonight.

Greg Gagne: I'm glad you're confident, but I don't think the Living Legend is quite as confident. He knows that Valentine is perhaps his toughest challenger to date.

Johnny Valiant: That's why they settle things in the ring rather than asking us Gagne.

Greg Gagne: Right you are.

Larry Zbysko vs. Greg Valentine

Zbysko hands the belt to senior official Bob Densmore, then uses the ropes to stretch. The entire time, Greg Valentine's eyes were focused on the champ. Finally, the bell rang and the two met up in the middle. There was a lock up into a Valentine headlock into a Zbysko push off, then Zbysko got knocked down by a charging shoulderblock from The Hammer. Hammer drops down to the mat, locking in a rear chinlock to establish control. He didn't leave it on long, shoving Zbysko to the mat and dropping the point of his elbow into Zbysko's sternum. Valentine quickly goes for a pin but doesn't even get a two count. Valentine nods his head, helping Zbysko to his feet, then driving a forearm into Zbysko's forehead twice, walking Zbysko over to the corner. Valentine stands Zbysko in the corner, then backs up, holding the top rope with his arms on either side of Zbysko, then uses it for extra force and drives his shoulder into Zbysko's midsection, repeating the move two more times before finally moving Zbysko out of the corner with a vertical suplex, leaving the champ laid out in the middle of the ring.

Greg Gagne: Valentine off to the early start, keeping a nice steady pace. Is this what we should expect throughout?

Johnny Valiant: Neither of these guys are going to over-exert themselves. They'll both try and keep it slow, wearing each other out.

Greg Gagne: So it's going to be a good old fashioned wrestling match.

Johnny Valiant: With these two, it's going to be a clinic.

Valentine extends Zbysko's leg, then drops an elbow to the inside of the knee, standing back up and dropping another elbow to the inside knee of Zbysko. Valentine drops a third, but this time stays there, laying on the knee of Zbysko and pulling the leg back, twisting the knee in the process. Valentine continues to pull, not really looking for a submission, but definately wearing the champ down. Valentine rolls off Zbysko but still has the leg hooked, walking Zbysko over to the ropes and laying the leg on the second rope. Valentine then jumps and comes down seat first on the extended leg, stretching that knee out more and Zbysko instantly pulls his knee up to his chest, clutching it and screaming out. Valentine goes to grab it, but Zbysko surprises Valentine, rolling him up with a small package for a two count. Valentine gets back to his feet and Zbysko tries, but is limping around. Valentine's able to lift Zbysko into the air and bring him down with a knee breaker. Zbysko falls to the mat, then rolls towards the corner, trying to get away from Valentine. Valentine continues his slow stalking and Zbysko's begging off, trying to convince Valentine to let him up. Valentine gets closer and Zbysko grabs Zbysko by the tights and pulls him into the corner, Valentine's head hitting hard on the top turnbuckle, causing him to fall straight back. Zbysko gets up to his feet, his limp not as severe as he led Valentine to believe. Zbysko stops Valentine from getting up by hooking him in a front face lock, then lifts The Hammer into the air and lets him down with a reverse suplex! Zbysko follows up by stomping at Valentine's neck area.

Greg Gagne: Zbysko made that knee injury look a lot worse than it really was.

Johnny Valiant: He gave Valentine what we like to call...false hope. And false hope makes you ease up a little bit and that's what cost Valentine.

Greg Gagne: We know that Valetine is trying to work over Zbysko's leg and knee, what will Zbysko be targeting?

Johnny Valiant: Zbysko's the kind of guy that will attack every part of you. He doesn't isolate just one area, he wants your whole body to be in pain.

Zbysko pulls Valentine up to his feet, delivering a left forearm to the face, then sending Valentine into the ropes. Zbysko with a high back body drop, causing Valentine to land hard and awkwardly. Valentine gets back to his feet and Zbysko backs him into the corner, driving his knee repeatedly into Valentine's midsection. Zbysko sends Valentine across the ring into the other corner, Valentine's back hitting hard and bouncing off. He walks right into a spinebuster from Zbysko, who covers Valentine for a two count, Valentine kicking out with enthusiasm. Zbysko keeps him on the ground with a forearm to the head, then rolls Valentine over, locking in a boston crab and trying to end the match by submission. Valentine shows his strength advantage, managing to crawl to the ropes, hugging the bottom one and forcing Zbysko to release the hold. As soon as Zbysko does, Valentine rolls to the outside, trying to catch his breath. Zbysko slides out on the other side, then walks around the ring, trying to get to Valentine from behind. Valentine senses Zbysko behind him and swings a back elbow. Zbysko ducks it but that causes Valentine to walk right into a spinning belly to belly from Zbysko, Valentine landing hard on the barely protected concrete floor. The crowd is on their feet, looking at Valentine, looking for signs that the match will continue. Zbysko rolls into the ring and Bob Densmore starts the ten count.

Greg Gagne: There is padding on the concrete floor, but how much good does that really do?

Johnny Valiant: You've got nearly 300 pounds crashing down...that thin pad may as well be non-existant.

Greg Gagne: Valentine's back took the full force of the landing, this match may be over.

Johnny Valiant: Nobody wants it to end this way, but Densmore's already at three and Valentine's just starting to move.

Greg Gagne: Zbysko checking on his knee in the ring, seemingly unconcerned about Valentine.

Johnny Valiant: The grimace look on Valentine's face tells me he's in more pain than Zbysko right now. His back is definately bothering him.

Densmore's at six and Valentine is up to his feet, still holding his back as he rolls himself into the ring. Zbysko's immediately on the attack, driving his boots into Valentine's back over and over and over with ruthless aggression. Zbysko helps Valentine up to his feet, but only so he can lock in an abdominal stretch, pulling at the ribs of Valentine, stretching them, exposing them. Densmore goes to check on Valentine, allowing Zbysko to use the top rope for extra leverage, pulling it and increasing the pressure on Valentine. Densmore checks Zbysko and he releases the ropes. As soon as he does, Greg Valentine finds enough strength to lift Zbysko up and over with a varied hip toss. Unfortunately, Valentine collapses to the mat as soon as he completes the move and Zbysko's able to go right back on the offensive, stomping Valentine in the back again before helping him to his feet. Zbysko stands in front of Valentine, sizing him up, then drives his shoulder into Valentine's midsection and hooks his arms around Valentine's back in a modified bearhug! He could just as easily be going for a northern lights suplex in this position, but he's just squeezing the back of Valentine, using every bit of strength that he has.

Greg Gagne: Not a move we generally see from Zbysko, he's not much of a power type.

Johnny Valiant: This move isn't just about power though, it's about positioning and he's got his hands in the perfect position to create pressure.

Greg Gagne: So could this be more effective than say a bearhug from Magnus Vaara?

Johnny Valiant: Let's not go overboard...it's effective, but the raw power of Vaara would definately hurt more.

Zbysko keeps the pressure on, but Valentine starts fighting back, clubbing Zbysko in the upper back, again and again. Zbysko finally has to release the bearhug variation and stands up, connecting with a european uppercut. He sends Valentine into the ropes, but when Valentine comes off, he comes off with a full head of steam and runs over Zbysko with a double axe handle! Zbysko goes down to the mat, but gets up quickly only to get run over by another double axe handle from The Hammer! The crowd's on their feet now, sensing a resurgence of hope. Valentine waits and as soon as Zbysko gets up, Valentine suplexes him, then goes for the pin, the crowd counting along then letting out a disappointed "Ooooh" when the count's only a two. Valentine uses Zbysko's hair to help pull him to his feet, stomping him in the midsection, then hooking both of Zbysko's arm, delivering a double arm underhook suplex, Zbysko landing hard on his back. Valentine lines up Zbysko, then drops a knee directly into his forehead before making another cover, only to see Zbysko kick out again. Valentine sends Zbysko into the ropes, then sidesteps him, but reaches down and sweeps the leg of Zbysko out from under him, causing him to fall straight back. Valentine grabs the leg and right away goes for the figure four, but Zbysko senses what's coming and crawls to the ropes before Valentine can get it locked in.

Greg Gagne: Valentine tries to end it, but Zbysko shows why he's the champ, always on top of the situation.

Johnny Valiant: He's got Valentine well scouted and Greg's not going to catch Zbysko with a surprise figure four.

Valentine sends Zbysko back first into the corner, then lifts Zbysko's weak leg, his left leg, up to the middle rope, hooking it over. Now fully exposed, Valentine goes to work, driving the bottom of his size thirteen boot into that knee, over and over, each time Zbysko screaming out on impact, each time Valentine showing more and more aggression. Densmore finally breaks it, telling Valentine he can't have Zbysko's body part outside of the ring that long. Valentine brings the leg back in, only to re-hook it over the middle rope for a second time, this time pulling on the ankle foot and bending the knee sideways! Again, he's forced to release it and now he watches as Zbysko limps out of the corner. Valentine stomps him in the back of the knee, knocking Zbysko to the ground, then again tries to lock on the figure four, but Zbysko reaches out, grabbing the bottom rope and stopping that from happening. Valentine starts to show signs of frustrations and exhaust, just hitting Zbysko with two stiff right hands before trying...and failing for a third figure four. Valentine stomps Zbysko's chest, then leans on the top rope, looking out to the crowd, frustrated. He turns back to Zbysko, who's slowly getting up to his feet. Valentine stands next to Zbysko, intertwining their legs, then dropping Zbysko straight back with a russian leg sweep, rolling over and looking for the pin, but not getting three. Valentine sends Zbysko into the corner, clearly letting the frustration get to him. Valentine charges in full speed for a clothesline, but Zbysko moves out of the way. Valentine hits hard and Zbysko drops him to the mat with a side suplex from behind!

Greg Gagne: Larry Zbysko back in control now.

Johnny Valiant: Valentine normally stays cool, but you can see he just lost it there and Zbysko took advantage.

Greg Gagne: Now all he has to do is close it out.

Zbysko hooks Valentine's leg and looks to be setting up for a fisherman's suplex. He falls back but can't hold Valentine for the pin. Zbysko stops Valentine from putting together an attack by kicking him in the midsection. Zbysko puts on a front face lock, preparing to suplex Valentine. Valentine blocks it, using his momentum to keep himself grounded. Zbysko tries again but can't get Valentine up. Valentine uses a burst of energy, charging and driving Zbysko back first into the corner, breaking the front facelock. Zbysko bounces off, right into a pick up by Valentine, who holds Zbysko upside down before piledriving him head first to the mat! Zbysko lays prone and Valentine, the crowd fully behind him, grabs the leg, wrapping it up and this time, laying back, figure four locked in perfectly! Zbysko sits up once the pain sets in, shaking his head, screaming, then falls back, trying to get himself out of this move. He can't turn Valentine over and he can't move himself back towards the ropes. Zbysko takes a swing at Valentine but comes up way short and realizes he has no other options. After attempting to turn Valentine one more time, Zbysko finally tapped the mat three times and ended his title reign.

Winner: Greg Valentine

Zbysko laid prone on the mat, covering his face with his hands as Densmore handed the AWA World Title to Greg Valentine. The Hammer stood on the second turnbuckle and raised it into the air as Superclash VII came to an end.

Quick Results

Enigma d. Doug Furnas in a dark match

Young Stallions d. First Class Connection

Match Reaction = 22.1%

Match Quality = 56.8%

Overall Rating = 40.8%

Nightstalker d. Ken Patera

Match Reaction = 35.4%

Match Quality = 67.6%

Overall Rating = 57.8%

Corporal Hughes d. John Nord

Match Reaction = 28.0%

Match Quality = 54.6%

Overall Rating = 43.2%

Bam Bam Bigelow d. Masa Saito

Match Reaction = 36.6%

Match Quality = 53.1%

Overall Rating = 49.7%

Col. DeBeers d. The Trooper

Match Reaction = 26.2%

Match Quality = 62.3%

Overall Rating = 51.0%

Greg Valentine d. Larry Zbysko

Match Reaction = 45.0%

Match Quality = 65.1%

Overall Rating = 58.2%

Overall Rating of 47.2%

Locker Room, Post Superclash VII

September 2nd, 1990

"You've got three seconds to tell me who did this or those who violated my rules will be fired...immediately."

I knew the voice but I didn't know what he was in the locker room for. I opened the door, hoping everyone at least had a towel on. The room turned to me, even Mr. Gagne, who thought I may have walked in at the perfect time. He threw a piece of paper in my face that basically told the wrestlers to ignore the rules and go all out. The note said the decision had been approved by Mr. Gagne.

Mr. Gagne: Did you do this?

I looked around the room. I looked at John Nord, a bruise forming on his forehead. I looked at Bam Bam Bigelow, icing his body. I thought of Masa Saito, on his way to the hospital. I looked at my boys and I thought about how hard each and every one of them worked tonight. I may not have written the note, but I wasn't about to let their careers suffer. I bit my bottom lip, then looked up at Mr. Gagne.

Sophie: Ye-

Before I could even finish the one syllable response, a voice shouted out, interrupting me.

Voice: She didn't do it.

The wrestlers parted ways like the red sea and the man that emerged stood at the front of the group, staring at Mr. Gagne.

Voice: I did.

Verne Gagne looked like he might have had a heart attack. There he was, looking at the man who crossed him, the man who ignored his rules and told the other wrestlers to do the same. There he was, looking at his very own son.

Greg Gagne: I put the note up. I signed it. I told the wrestlers to do what they do and that's entertain those fans.

Verne Gagne: You? Greg, you don't understand. I made those rules to bring this company back to the top. ESPN pulled the plug on All Star Wrestling. This company needs to be saved.

Greg Gagne: No Dad, you don't understand. ESPN didn't pull the plug because of the show. Our ratings have increased every single week. They pulled the plug because they're afraid of a woman running a wrestling promotion.

Verne Gagne: Greg, nobody cares for Sophie like I do, but maybe ESPN's right, maybe a woman running things is a bad idea.

I loved how they talked like I wasn't even there.

Greg Gagne: I think they're wrong and I'm standing behind Sophie.

Verne Gagne: Which is why you put the note up.

Greg Gagne: If we followed your rules, this show would have been a disaster and Sophie would have been blamed. Sophie's the best damn thing to happen to AWA in a long time and if you can't see that, then maybe-

He paused, but I knew what was coming. We all did.

Verne Gagne: Then maybe what?

Greg Gagne: Then maybe this business has passed you by.

And there it was. Verne looked like he'd been hit with a brick. He looked at Greg, then looked at me, not saying a word. He looked back at Greg and kind of smiled, as if he realized Greg spoke the truth. Then he turned to me.

Verne Gagne: Congratulations Sophie, you're in charge.

With that, Verne walked out of the locker room and possibly out of AWA. I turned to Greg, wanting to say thank you but unable to get the words out. He nodded his head with a slight smile before I turned and left the locker room. Once outside, I rested against the wall, glad to hear the regular conversation had resumed amongst the boys.

Nightstalker/Patera got a higher MQ than Valentine/Zbyszko? We really need a "headscratch" smiley...

All in all, a fine show, TP. Bam Bam/Saito was totally brutal, like it needed to be. Bigelow's head meeting Nord's 2X4 would be a fine matchup, but maybe John's after DeBeers next? :thumbsup: And Bigelow seems like the man to battle Valentine, although a Zbyszko rematch would be welcome as well.

And Greg Gagne growing a set? Yeah, we've officially reached the Twilight Zone. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Sophie's Office

Finally, A Bright Spot

"I really appreciate what you did."

I looked at Greg, sitting across from me, and I didn't see proof of nepitism, instead I saw a boy who had finally grown into a man.

Greg Gagne: It was just time that someone got through to him.

Sophie: Yea well, you definately got through to him. I thought he was going to lose it.

Greg Gagne: You do realize now that you have to make this place work, right?

He smiled slightly, but I knew he was only half kidding. The pressure was definately on.

Sophie: I know.

Greg Gagne: It's going to be hard without a show Sophie.

My face lit up. I realized I never told Greg about my earlier conversation.

Sophie: I forgot to tell you!

Greg Gagne: Tell me what?

Sophie: We've got a TV gig.

Greg Gagne: ESPN re-considered?

Sophie: Kinda.

Greg Gagne: What do you mean?

Sophie: Well, apparently....after your speech, your dad took it upon himself to call ESPN...

Greg Gagne: So we're back on?

Sophie: They already gave away our timeslot, but they made an offer and we weren't exactly in a position to turn it down.

Greg now seemed legitly curious. He looked at me, trying to figure out just how bad things were.

Sophie: They offered us thirty minutes on Monday Night.

He blinked a couple times, then swallowed.

Greg Gagne: Thirty minutes? Soph...we can't put on a show in thirty minutes.

Sophie: Not a conventional show, no...

Greg Gagne: What'd you have in mind?

I proceeded to tell Greg about my plan to run a weekly event every Saturday and record the happenings. Then on Monday Night, we run a 30 hour clip show, showing highlights of matches, showing backstage developments, interviews, and all that good stuff. I told him that we could fit an hour into thirty minutes easy if we just don't show full matches. He seemed hesitant, but in the end supported me. It meant a lot to have Greg's support, but meant even more knowing that Mr. Gagne believed in what I was trying to do.

All Star Wrestling

9/10/90

The ESPN logo faded away into a montage of AWA action, starting with Enigma hitting a spinning heel kick, then showing Marc Mero with a moonsault, followed by a powerbomb from The Nightstalker, which blends into a diving headbutt from Bam Bam Bigelow, fading into Zbysko with a front face lock on Masa Saito, then finally an image of Greg "The Hammer" Valentine raising the World Title in the air. The words "All Star Wrestling" come across the screen, then crumble away to reveal Greg Gagne standing next to Johnny Valiant with AWA pictures forming a backdrop behind them in a studio environment.

Greg Gagne: Hello folks and welcome to the brand new set of All Star Wrestling. Alongside Mr. Valiant, I am-

Johnny puts his hand up, stopping Gagne.

Johnny Valiant: Please, call me Johnny.

Greg smiles a sincere smile, then finishes his introduction.

Greg Gagne: Alongside Johnny Valiant, I am Greg Gagne and we're going to give you thirty minutes of the most incredible weekly highlights found anywhere.

Johnny Valiant: That's right. We're going to cram one hour of action into thirty minutes, so settle in and get comfortable, it's gonna get good.

Greg Gagne: Fresh off the heels of Superclash VII, the crowd was anxious to see Greg Valentine as World Champion for the first time ever. Luckily for me, I had the pleasure of interviewing him, right in the middle of the ring

The tape shows Greg Gagne standing in the middle of the ring as Greg "The Hammer" Valentine steps through the ropes, AWA World Title around his waist.  After waiting for the crowd to settle down, Gagne lifted the mic.

Greg Gagne: Hammer, a lot of people thought it couldn't be done, but at Superclash VII, you defeated the Living Legend, Larry Zbysko to become, for the first time, the AWA World Champion!

The crowd popped and a smile came over Valentine's face as he looked around before answering the question.

Greg "The Hammer" Valentine: You're right Gagne, a lot of people didn't think Greg Valentine was World Title material.  Hell, a whole company didn't think Greg Valentine was World Title material.  But I showed the World, didn't I Gagne?  I got my chance, and it only took one, and I made the most out of it.  Larry Zbysko...who's the man now?

Greg Gagne: How does it feel Hammer?  This is your first World Championship, can you even describe the feeling?

Hammer pauses for a minute, looking down at the belt around his waist before looking around the arena again.  He lets another smile appear, then looks at Gagne.

Greg "The Hammer" Valentine: Ya know, I really don't know that I can Gagne.  Knowing that you're on top of the wrestling World, that you represent everyone in the back, that you are the best wrestler around...it's an indescribable feeling.

Greg Gagne: Well champ, you deserve it.

Greg "The Hammer" Valentine: It just goes to show, determination and guts can make anything a possibility.  And rest assured, I'm not going to be a runaway champion.  This belt will be defended against any and all challengers.  And every single one of those challengers will find out that they call me The Hammer because I hit em harder than anyone else.

The tape stops and it's back to Gagne and Valiant in the studio.

• 2 months later...

All Star Wrestling

9/17/90

The ESPN logo faded away into a montage of AWA action, starting with Enigma hitting a spinning heel kick, then showing Marc Mero with a moonsault, followed by a powerbomb from The Nightstalker, which blends into a diving headbutt from Bam Bam Bigelow, fading into Zbysko with a front face lock on Masa Saito, then finally an image of Greg "The Hammer" Valentine raising the World Title in the air. The words "All Star Wrestling" come across the screen, then crumble away to reveal Greg Gagne standing next to Johnny Valiant with AWA pictures forming a backdrop behind them in a studio environment.

Greg Gagne: Another week and some more great AWA action. I'm Greg Gagne and my partner in crime, mr. Johnny Valiant!

Johnny half bows, then smiles as he pats Gagne on the back.

Johnny Valiant: This was a good week Gagne, a very good week. We even had a title match with an ending that'll keep you glued to your seats.

Greg Gagne: That's absolutely right, but our first match of the evening had Jake Milliman taking on Bam Bam Bigelow, but it wasn't long before someone else showed up to play...

Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Jake Milliman

The clip starts with Bam Bam locking up against Jake Milliman, sending him into the ropes and taking him down with a standing shoulderblock.  Milliman gets back up and Bam Bam knocks him down with a headbutt, then goes for a leaping elbow.  Bam Bam takes too long though and Milliman rolls out of the way, causing Bam Bam to land hard, shaking the ring.  Clip skips forward to Bam Bam kicking out of a Milliman pin.  Milliman, looking as if he's been trying to end things, stands up, pleading with the ref for a three count.  Milliman stops Bam Bam from getting up with a boot to the midsection, then looks for a vertical suplex.  Milliman can't get Bam Bam up, but tries again, still unable to lift Bam Bam anymore than two inches off the mat.  Bam Bam reverses it, lifting Milliman into the air, spinning, then driving him headfirst into the mat with a spinning brainbuster.  Bam Bam gets to his feet slowly, looks down at Milliman, then falls and drives his head into Milliman's head.  Bigelow stands back up and heads outside, climbing up the turnbuckles and placing his boot on the top.  Before he can leap off, Tommy Rogers slides into the ring, standing over Milliman, facing Bigelow.  Bigelow looks at him, asking him what the hell's going on, but Rogers just rolls Milliman to the ropes, then slides out and helps him out.  Bigelow hops down off the top turnbuckle, screaming at Rogers while Rogers helps Milliman to the back.

Winner: Bam Bam Bigelow

TP, excellent to see the AWA back in business. And honestly, this felt like one of your stronger shows yet. The Zbyszko promo with Zumhofe was quite enjoyable, but on the downside, I find it a bit hard to believe that Nightstalker would have passed on the opportunity to cave Valentine's skull in with the gold.

Hopefully, the Nord-DeBeers feud is far from over...maybe John blows through the Privates next? (Wait, that didn't come out right.) :pervert:

Hope you're still ongoing with this one.

Sophie's Office

The Sunny Days Continue

"Glad to see you made it ok."

John Tolos, a man who's done everything there is to do in wrestling, had just signed on with AWA, agreeing to come aboard and help me oversee the operation. He'd never really made it big, but had a lot of experience and a good amount of respect from peers. He stepped into my office, placing his lone gymbag on the floor before extending his hand. I gladly shook it and motioned for him to take a seat.

Sophie: Good flight?

John Tolos: Can't complain.

Sophie: Oh, I'm sure there'll be plenty of complaints sooner or later.

John Tolos: Just point me in a direction, let me know what needs to be done.

Sophie: Why don't you take a couple days and get acquainted with the place, the feuds, the roster, all that good stuff.

John Tolos: I wouldn't have taken the job if I didn't know about the roster and I spent the entire flight watching the last month of shows. I told you Sophie, I'm here to work, not hang out.

Alright, so maybe he wasn't the friendliest guy ever, but I knew he had what it would take to help us.

Sophie: Well then John, why don't you tell me what you want to do, some of these changes that you mentioned on the phone.

John Tolos: Fair enough. I want to put together a booking committee....

Sophie: We've got writers John, they're-

John Tolos: I've seen your writers, they're crap. I want a booking committee, guys in the business, guys who know what they're doing.

Sophie: And who'd you have in mind for this committee?

John Tolos: Besides myself, I think Johnny Valiant and Larry Zbysko would both be great, both have amazing minds for this business. Since Verne isn't able to dedicate himself full time, then I think Greg should be able to take his spot. And I also think Brad Rheingans brings a certain level of credibility to the table.

Sophie: So you five would be in charge of the product?

John Tolos: And then it would get cleared through you, yes.

Sophie: I can't speak for the others, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

John Tolos: Like you suggested, I'll take a couple days to talk it over with everyone, make them comfortable with the idea, then we'll start meeting next week.

Sophie: See John, this is why I brought you aboard. Finally, with you and Greg, I really feel like I have the support I need.

John didn't say anything after that, I think he figured I was blowing smoke up his rear, but it was true. When Bischoff was around, he was so self-obsessed that I felt he hurt the product. Now, we've got the staff in place to make things happen.

All Star Wrestling

9/24/90

Greg Gagne: Hello folks and welcome to All Star Wrestling, where we give you the best wrestling action in the World. I'm Greg Gagne and my partner, the man himself, Johnny Valiant.

Johnny Valiant: Another week goes by and I find myself more and more impressed by the direction AWA is taking.

Greg Gagne: The main event saw not two, not three, not even four men go at it but rather six AWA competitors. That's right, a six man tag!

Johnny Valiant: And by the end of the night, there was even more than that.

Greg Gagne: But starting things off, it was myself in the ring, where I had an opportunity to interview one of the good young guys in this sport, Tommy Rogers.

Good Intentions

In the middle of the ring, it was Greg Gagne standing alongside Tommy Rogers.  The crowd looked on, cheering for Rogers even though they may not know too much about him.  Gagne quited the fans and got the interview started.

Greg Gagne: Tommy Rogers, let me first say it's a pleasure to have you here in AWA.

Tommy Rogers: It's a great place to be Mr. Gagne.  Not very often you find wrestlers the quality of the ones here in AWA.

Greg Gagne: You've come in with a purpose of sorts, but that purpose seems to be involving Bam Bam Bigelow.  What is your relationship with him?

Tommy Rogers: Well see, me and Bigelow, we don't have much of a relationship, I just don't like the way he treats his opponents.  Wrestling should be about respect and seeing who the better man is. 

Greg Gagne: I agree, but you're fighting an uphill battle.  Changing Bigelow's mindset is nearly impossible I would think.

Tommy Rogers: Nothing's impossible Mr. Gagne.  Bigelow just may need a little extra convincing, that's all.

Greg Gagne: The fans have been waiting with anticipation to see you in the ring.  When can we expect the in-ring debut of Tommy Rogers?

Tommy Rogers: I've been informed that next week, I will be in action.  They haven't told me against who, but I will be wrestling next week and I'll show the fans of AWA how to do things the right way.

Greg Gagne: It's great to have you here in AWA Tommy, hopefully you can fight the good fight and come out on top.

Rogers smiles and shakes Gagne's hand as the clip comes to an end.

Enigma, Nord, and Mero would make a sweet combination...yeah, and Skaggs can come too if he wants. :shifty:

You've got a great buildup going to Nightstalker and Valentine, even though I still never figured Ox Baker for one to play mindgames, and I eagerly await Zbyszko stretching Zumhofe to where he can suck his own dick. :thumbsup:

Meeting of the Booking Committee

AWA Conference Room

"Hey Ledge, what you think about this whole thing?"

Johnny Valiant was seated across from Larry Zbysko. Brad Rheingans was next to Valiant with Greg Gagne at one end of the table.

Larry Zbysko: Giving us input on what goes on? It's the first time I've agreed with something Sophie's done.

Johnny Valiant: Ah, c'mon, she's doing the best she can.

Brad Rheingans: I don't mind Sophie. If that's who Verne wants in charge, then I respect it, but bringing in this new guy Tolos and giving him power, I don't know.

Johnny Valiant: Because he's not an AWA guy?

Brad Rheingans: Exactly.

Johnny Valiant: Well, neither am I.

Brad Rheingans: But you didn't come in right away and were in charge.

Greg Gagne: Nobody supports Sophie more than me. If she thinks this guy's good for business, then so be it. What do we have to lose?

Larry Zbysko: Our paychecks.

Zbysko made the comment and looked right at Gagne, who was without return comment. Luckily, the door opened and John Tolos stepped into the room, taking the seat at the other end of the table.

John Tolos: Glad to see everyone made it.

Tolos looks right at Zbysko.

John Tolos: I hope everyone's ok with this whole thing.

No objections from the four, so Tolos continues.

John Tolos: I just don't see the point in having non-wrestling guys making wrestling decisions. I pegged you guys as the top minds in the company.

Rheingans whispers something to Johnny Valiant and the frustration is clearly visible in Tolos.

John Tolos: Alright look, let's cut the crap. I'm new here, I'm in a position of power, and you guys don't think I deserve it. I understand that, but what you have to understand is that I've been hired to do a job and that job is to help AWA get to the top. If you don't want to help with that, then I suggest standing up and walking out that door right now. Everyone else, let's get down to business.

Tolos looks around the room, waiting to see if anyone takes him up on the offer. Nobody budges and Tolos lets out a quiet sigh of relief.

John Tolos: I'm not in a huge hurry to change things, but I do want to know what things you think should be changed. JV?

Johnny Valiant: Oh sure, start with me. I dunno, I'm not terribly upset with anything right now. Well, alright, I guess there is one thing.

John Tolos: Alright, what is it?

Valiant goes to speak, then looks to Gagne first. He looks back at Tolos and lets fly.

Johnny Valiant: Personally, I think we need a backstage interviewer. No offense to Greg at all, but I think it looks strange when he throws it to a clip of himself.

Gagne stifles a slight laugh, speaking up.

John Tolos: Greg?

Greg Gagne: I just thought it was funny that he brought it up.

Valiant, reacting quickly, looks to Gagne.

Johnny Valiant: And what's so funny?

Greg Gagne: It's funny because I was thinking the same thing.

Valiant joins in the laughter and Tolos finally smiles.

John Tolos: I don't suppose we have any suggestions for a reporter?

Larry Zbysko: I know Paul Dangerously's contract ended, he's looking for a place to work.

Johnny Valiant: I don't know how well he'd fit in the interviewer role though.

Brad Rheingans: What about Lanny Poffo?

Greg Gagne: With the poetry?

Larry Zbysko: You could incorporate the poetry into every interview.

Greg Gagne: I dunno about that.

John Tolos: Another name we might want to toss around is Slick. I know he's a manager, but he's got the type of personality that can make anything interesting.

Johnny Valiant: Are we looking for entertainment or a journalist type interviewer?

Brad Rheingans: I'd say a combination. We don't want someone who's bland, but we don't want someone who's going to overshadow the wrestlers.

John Tolos: Exactly.

Larry Zbysko: I think any of them could work, but the more important question is who can we get to come to AWA and fill that role?

John Tolos: Well, that's something we'll let Sophie work out. For right now, we have to decide who we want, then take it to her to make it happen.

Everyone looks at everyone else, each unsure of where to go from here.

John Tolos: So fellas....who's it gonna be?

Tolos looked around at the committee, hoping the discussion ends sooner than later. Someone better order a pizza.

• 3 weeks later...

All Star Wrestling

10/01/90

Greg Gagne: Welcome to October! It's a new month, but the same old AWA, isn't that right JV?

Johnny Valiant: We're tickin like a timebomb Gagne. It's October, but we don't need a fresh start, we're doing just fine.

Greg Gagne: We did welcome ourselves to October in a big way, with a World Title match!

Johnny Valiant: Greg Valentine was in action, plus we saw the debut of Tommy Rogers.

Greg Gagne: That's where we start things off tonight. Only it's not Tommy Rogers, it's the man he's been focused on, Bam Bam Bigelow.

Bam Bam the Destroyer

Bam Bam Bigelow stands in front of the AWA backdrop, alone with the normal grimace across his face. He cracks his knuckles, then squinches up his face before talking.

Bam Bam Bigelow: Tommy Rogers, I would hate to end your career at such a young age....but I will. Don't you understand that? I'm three hundred-fifty pounds of anger and destruction. I don't outwrestle my opponents Tommy, I beat them up and I beat them up bad. Masa Saito was one of the most feared men, not only in AWA, but in the World. Look at him now Tommy. Look at what I did to him. Keep pushing me Tommy, keep testing me, you'll meet the same fate. Keep stepping into my business and I promise you one thing....you will...be....destroyed.

Bam Bam laughs to himself and the scene switches to Tommy Rogers making his way down to the ring.

Greg Gagne: And after those words from Bam Bam, it was time for Tommy Rogers to make his in-ring debut.

Johnny Valiant: It wasn't much of a challenge for Tommy Rogers, but it did give him a chance to show what he can do.

Greg Gagne: Maybe Bam Bam will think twice before making those kind of comments.

Johnny Valiant: That's imlying Bam Bam thinks at all.

Tommy Rogers vs. Matt LeCraw

LeCraw didn't even get a ring entrance, just waving to the fans when his name was announced. It was right around that time that you knew it was over. Rogers shook hands, but dominated every aspect thereafter, using a series of right jabs to set up a tornado punch. Rogers with a knee to the forehead of LeCraw, but only got a two count. LeCraw showed signs of life, trying to fight back with punches, but when he went for the dreaded back body drop, Rogers kicked him in the chest, forcing him to stand straight. Rogers with a russian leg sweep after that for the easy victory.

Winner: Tommy Rogers

Greg Gagne: Tommy Rogers with an impressive debut, but Matt LeCraw doesn't quite stack up to Bam Bam Bigelow, does he?

Johnny Valiant: Does a grasshopper stack up to an elephant? Two different leagues Greg.

Greg Gagne: Rogers hasn't backed down yet, but you have to figure it's only a matter of time. Just think back to what Bigelow did to Saito.

Johnny Valiant: It was sickening, but that's what prompted Rogers to step up. If he backs down, he's a coward.

Greg Gagne: One man showing no cowardice lately is Buck Zumhofe. Larry Zbysko was in the ring when Zumhofe once again, showed his fun loving face.

Who Can You Beat?

Larry Zbysko's making his way up the ringsteps, stopping only to argue with a fan at ringside. Zbysko ends up waving the guy off and stepping through the ropes, not caring about the boos reigning in from all areas. He grabs a mic from the apron, then addresses the hostile crowd.

Larry Zbysko: Booing me is merely a sign of inferiority, so by all means, continue.

This only prompts more boos, which is exactly what he was going for.

Larry Zbysko: I'm not out here for you anyway, I'm out here for one reason and one reason only. Greg Valentine, you have something that belongs to me, you have my championship belt.

The fans cheer, not for Zbysko but rather for Valentine having the belt.

Larry Zbysko: You can cheer him. After all, he is easy to relate to....he's dumb and slow, just like all of you.

More boos for the former champ.

Larry Zbysko: I've loaned that belt out long enough, I'm ready to get it back, so Valentine, bring the belt and get out here, I'm ready for my re-match!

Zbysko turns and looks towards the rampway and his eyes narrow in anger when the guitar licks belonging to Buck Zumhofe hit. Zumhofe comes out, high fiving fans, smiling a huge smile at Zbysko, then sliding under the bottom rope, extending his hand for a handshake. Zbysko ignores him and Zumhofe shrugs it off, taking the mic from Zbysko and again smiling.

Buck Zumhofe: Now Larry, I need you to help me out here because I've got to admit, I'm a tad confused. Last week, the whole arena saw you try to hit me...but you couldn't.

A pop from the crowd sends Zbysko into a near fit.

Buck Zumhofe: So if you're not even good enough to hit me, why do you deserve a title shot? I mean, if you ask me, you've got to be at the very bottom of the ladder.

Zbysko's heard enough and connects with a left hand, forcing Zumhofe to drop the mic. Zbysko with a few more forearms, but Zumhofe takes to the mat, rolling to the side of Zbysko, then tripping him up. Zbysko falls to the mat and Zumhofe rolls out, wiping his hands clean. Zbysko gets back to his feet, leaning over the top rope, telling Zumhofe to get back in the ring. Zumhofe just shrugs his shoulders, mouthing the words "You can't even beat me, you don't deserve the champ." Zbysko is furious in the ring.

Greg Gagne: I've never been a huge fan of Zumhofe, he's always been a tad strange, but he is really starting to get under the skin of the Living Legend.

Johnny Valiant: I think it's a little more than starting. He's acting like a fly who smells fesces, he's just all over Larry.

Greg Gagne: Is Zumhofe trying to gain credibility? Does he really put himself on Legend's level?

Johnny Valiant: Well, so far, he's not wrong, but it's only a matter of time before Zbysko causes him a whole lot of pain.

Enigma vs. Corporal Hughes

Hughes had the size advantage and early on, used it, locking up Enigma's hands and forcing him to his knees. Enigma tried rolling out of it, but as soon as he did, Hughes ran him over with a lariat. Hughes pulled Enigma to his feet, then drove his shoulder into Enigma's back repeatedly. Each time, Enigma wanted to fall, but Hughes held him up to do it again and again. Finally Enigma fell chest first into the corner, but that just set him up to get sandwiched. Enigma fell to the mat, but was able to kick out. Hughes kept up the attack until he started taking too long between moves. He set Enigma up for a powerbomb, but hesitated so much that when he finally lifted Enigma into the air, Enigma flipped over Hughes. Hughes couldn't turn around quick enough and got a dropkick to the side of his knee. Enigma with another dropkick to the knee and Hughes had to drop to one. Enigma with a spinkick, caught Hughes right in the face, but only got a two count on the pin. Enigma went to submission holds, trying to wear down Hughes and keep him on the mat, where he couldn't really use his strength advantage. Enigma went for another spin kick and got caught by Hughes, who held Enigma's leg out, only to recieve an insiguri instead. It was at this point that the Militants showed their faces. Colonel DeBeers and the Privates both came out from the back, but before they could get to the ring, they were cut off by Marc Mero, Charlie Skaggs, and John Nord, who came from the crowd and hopped the guardrail! A brawl broke out on the floor, but it kept the action one on one in the ring. Enigma was able to hit a spinning DDT to get the three count in a bit of a surprise over Corporal Hughes.

Winner: Enigma

After the match, the Militants re-grouped on the outside while Mero, Skaggs, and Nord slid into the ring, Nord taking the role as the leader and grabbing the microphone, looking right at DeBeers when he speaks.

John Nord: So, you like to come out in numbers, do ya? Well how bout this....at Superclash....me, Mero, Charlie, and the phenomenal Enigma against you four. Let's get this taken care of once and for all.

DeBeers talks briefly to the other members of the group. DeBeers nods his head, motioning that he'll break Nord in half. Nord drops the mic and the two shout back and forth as the Militants back up the aisleway.

Greg Gagne: So there you have it folks. At Superclash, it's going to be John Nord teaming with Enigma, Charlie Skaggs, and Marc Mero to take on all four of the Militants in an elimination style match!

Johnny Valiant: That's nearly worth watching by itself!

Greg Gagne: It would, but you're guaranteed much more action. Action like we saw in the tag match between First Class Connection and Mark Mero alongside Charlie Skaggs.

First Class Connection vs. Marc Mero/Charlie Skaggs

The crowd was firmly behind Mero and Skaggs, the exciting young duo, so Taylor started the match off by taking Mero down with an armdrag, then holding him in place, trying to keep the crowd out of it. Everytime Mero got out of one hold, Taylor put another one on. Taylor had him in an abdominal stretch then tagged in Chris Adams, but Mero was able to toss Taylor over him and then kick Adams in the midsection before stumbling backwards and tagging in Skaggs. Skaggs came over the top rope with a flying clothesline, knocking Adams down, then rolled his fists, arm over arm, while Adams got to his feet. Skaggs stuck him with jab after jab before using a nifty little foot shuffle and then a double chop on either side of Adams neck. Skaggs bounced off the ropes, but Taylor reached out and grabbed him. Skaggs turned to hit Taylor, but Taylor dropped off the apron. Skaggs turned back around, walking right into a superkick from Adams! Mero broke up the pinfall and while the ref forced Mero out, Taylor tagged himself in, executing a backbreaker on Skaggs. Taylor went for the pin, but only got a two. Taylor sent Skaggs into the ropes, and Mero tagged himself in, slapping the back of Skaggs. Skaggs took a clothesline from Taylor, but it was Mero with a dropkick. Taylor went down and the ref dropped to make a pincount, but Mero never went for the pin. He went up to the top rope and ended up in trouble when Adams shook the rope. Mero had nowhere to go but down and down he went. Taylor rolled Skaggs out of the ring, then made the cover and Mero, picking up the win.

Winner: First Class Connection

Greg Gagne: It's safe to say that Magnus Vaara, since coming to AWA, has been a bully.

Johnny Valiant: That's putting it lightly.

Greg Gagne: We weren't the only ones to notice it. Trooper noticed what's been going on and he was ready to do something.

Johnny Valiant: Only problem was, would he be able to get through to Vaara?

Keeled Over

Trooper's seen approaching Magnus Vaara, showing no fear as he stepped right up to the Finnish powerhouse, poking a finger into his chest.

Trooper: I saw what you did the other week, stealing the title shot from Johnnie Stewart.

Vaara smirks and leans down to Trooper.

Magnus Vaara: So vut?

Trooper: So what? So what? I'll tell you so what. Around here, you don't get title shots that way, you earn them and until you do-

Vaara cuts Trooper off by putting his arm out, moving Trooper to the side.

Magnus Vaara: Vere I'm from, you either keel or be keeled.

Vaara continues on his way, leaving Trooper fuming on his own.

Greg Gagne: So Vaara didn't appear to be too concerned with Trooper, but someone's got to do something about Vaara.

Johnny Valiant: I don't know if anyone actually can Greg.

Greg Gagne: The main event of the evening put the belt on the line against one half of the Texas Hangmen, Psycho.

Johnny Valiant: At first glance, you may think this was an extreme mismatch, but Psycho's a tough guy and he did not back down at all.

Greg Gagne: The main event was made that much better by the fact that Ox Baker and Nightstalker were on commentary.

Johnny Valiant: I don't think I'll be having them in my announce booth anymore either, Baker could barely control Nightstalker.

Greg Valentine vs. Texas Hangmen Psycho

Valentine's attention was immediately distracted by Ox Baker and Nightstalker doing commentary, badmouthing him before he even disrobed. Psycho took full advantage of this, attacking Valentine from behind, knocking him into the ropes, then pounding him with rapid punches. Valentine powered out, shoving Psycho back, then putting his elbow to the top of Psycho's head, knocking Psycho back, then used a clothesline to put Psycho down. Valentine didn't follow up, instead keeping his eyes trained on Nightstalker while Ox Baker continued to berate the champion. Psycho tried another sneak attack, but Valentine sidestepped this one, using a double axehandle to hit Psycho in the small of the back, then hit him again with a double axehandle. Valentine with a side suplex, then bounces back to his feet, still staring right at Nightstalker, challenging him with his hands. Nightstalker stood up, but Baker pulled him back down, telling him his time is coming soon enough. Valentine turned back towards his opponent and get caught with a boot to the midsection. Psycho followed that up by raising his knee into Valentine's face, knocking him backwards. Psycho missed an elbow drop and ValentineGot to his feet. After a bodyslam, Valentine locked in the figure four, forcing Psycho to tap out.

Winner: Greg Valentine

Valentine stood back up and stared down Nightstalker as the show faded to black.

Quick Results

Tommy Rogers d. Matt LeCraw

Match Reaction = 18.4%

Match Quality = 67.6%

Overall Rating = 47.1%

First Class Connection d. Charlie Skaggs/Marc Mero

Match Reaction = 21.8%

Match Quality = 65.5%

Overall Rating = 51.3%

Enigma d. Corporal Hughes

Match Reaction = 28.0%

Match Quality = 65.0%