Grunge

Guest George

You know what I hate?

I hate it when people say they copied everything they did and that "makes money from other people's creations"...

For fuck sakes, if you analyze most of the music that is from the 90's to now, EVERYBODY rips EVERYBODY.

Fuck it, Nirvana rips Pixies, Oasis rips Beatles, Alice In Chains rips Metallica. God DAMN IT!

I'll admit there are some group that BLATANTLY rip off others (Jet rips off SOOOO many basslines, riffs and drumlines, or Weezer rips Pixies from head to toes, Datsuns rips Mudhoney totally, and some other) but god damn it, not every one of them do as some of this bands do.

It really gets annoying when, whenever I enter a thread from a band that was created in the last 15 years, there's always someone who says that band is riping off a band from the 60's, 70's or 80's, because "OLD SKOOL > J00!"

Sorry for that rant, but it does piss me off.

Love it. I grew up with grunge, and Kurt Cobain was the voice of my generation. I idolized everything about it, and totally had the flannel, jeans, and wallet chain going back when I was 14. Terrific music that kicks the shit out of everything being released today. It's a shame that no one realized how good we had it back in the day, musically speaking. I also readily admit that I cried when I heard that Kurt killed himself.

on ripping people off...

"The guitarist for "Pearl Jam" was interviewed by "Guitar" magazine. In the interview, the guitarist was asked about the guitar solo for "Alive". He made mention of the fact that he "kinda ripped it off Ace Frehley's (Kiss' guitarist) solo from the song "She"." Frehley was contacted to see how he felt about the flattery. Nonplussed, Frehley laughingly replied "I stole it from the Door's song Five To One.". And you know what? I'll be damned. I have all three recordings, and it IS the same note-for-note solo. Shows to go you, Eddie Van Halen was right. Rock and Roll is a bastard child, everyone taking from everyone else."

Yeah, so.. I think it's kind of expected for rock and rollers to "rip each other off" But I don't even think it should be called that. It's more like.. imitating your idols. Even The Beatles did it, and hey, they're awesome.