Dead Like Me is dead.

ROC

Tuesday, December 21, 2004

DEAD AND BURIED: Showtime's Dead Like Me has officially been laid to rest. The network confirmed Monday that the low-rated cult fave would not return for a third season. To help fill the void, Variety reports that Showtime is turning the Barbershop film franchise into a TV series. The net is also set to produce a remake of the cheeky drug musical Reefer Madness.

I´ed prevere more tv shows like 24 and the shield that wrap in a way at the end that they don´t have to continue, there is stuff that alowes them to pick up again but after all it´s a good ending point (well exept for the poor palmer crap at the end of season 2) . . . ore anime stuff that only is set to run one season and finishes up instead of being an neverending clifhanger like the x-files untill it just dies becaus it got stale ore fucked up. I know, but annyway...

Fuck Showtime!

They're just like The WB, cancelling a cult-favorite, putting in shitty replacements, and then later regretting that decision.

Babershop The Series? What the fuck? I've seen the original movie, and it's not even that good. It doesn't warrant any kind of sequel (much less one, and a spin-off), and now a TV show.

Never heard of Reefer Madness, but goddamn... Dead Like Me was great.

Guess I'll be buying Season One & Two on DVD after Christmas now.

I'll agree with you that in cancelling Angel and replacing it with The Mountain, The WB retrospectively look like asses. However, cancelling a big budget low rated series is a good idea if you've got something to replace it with.

I'll agree with you that in cancelling Angel and replacing it with The Mountain, The WB retrospectively look like asses. However, cancelling a big budget low rated series is a good idea if you've got something to replace it with.

Are you saying Angel was big budget and low-rated, or Dead Like Me?

Angel wasn't low-rated, it was getting high ratings when it got cancelled, actually.

:huh:

EDIT: Okay, I might be wrong, but I know for damn sure Angel was getting higher ratings than Charmed and the like. :shifty:

My point being, you can't just cancel a show because of low-ratings. I mean, like Fitzy said, it was on Sunday nights, which is a big night for HBO and others. And besides, some shows don't gain momentum/popularity in their third season. It takes awhile sometimes. I guess Showtime didn't have the patience to wait it out, or something. All I'm saying is, sometimes it takes time to develop an audience to certain shows.

Edited by Tristof

Point taken.

I guess I just hold alot of resentment for networks cancelling shows right when they're gaining steam, you know?

There's no way Angel could ever get the ratings that Smallville does (actually I just saw that an episode of Smallville did a 1.6 or something..), but Angel was better in plot/storyline terms, and above decent compared to a show that's still on the air, and relaying on eye candy. I'm talking about Charmed.

Yeah. I guess I'll just have to accept that 2 of my favorite shows have been cancelled. >_<

Yeah, that pretty much dashes my interest in getting Showtime. I didn't have it but if Dead Like Me were to go on I would be extremely interested in getting it, because I rented the first season at Hollywood Video and adored it.

• 3 weeks later...

WB considers 'Dead Like Me'

LOS ANGELES, Jan. 8 (UPI) -- A cleaned up version of "Dead Like Me," canceled by U.S. cable's Showtime, might end up on the WB network.

TV Guide Online reported MGM, which produced the series, has asked WB executives to consider airing the show about a girl who's killed by a flying toilet seat and becomes part of a team of grim reapers that tries to spare souls the agony death.

If the show moved from cable to the WB network, it would have to involve format changes because the show contained nudity and profanity, the New York Post reported Saturday,

Ellen Muth and Mandy Patinkin starred in the series.

--

Copyright 2005 by United Press International.

All rights reserved.

--