Your Top Albums Of 2004?

tristy

Well, there is only a week left in December, and 2004 as a whole, so I thought I'd do this. If there's an album you think might blow you away that's being released next week, wait until Tuesday when it's released.

But for those who's musical year is finished, post your top albums of 2004!

01. Skinny Puppy :: The Greater Wrong of the Right

02. Buckethead :: Cuckoo Clocks Of Hell

03. Rammstein :: Reise, Reise

04. Error :: Error

05. Omar a Lopez Rodriguez :: A Manual Dexterity

06. Killswitch Engage :: The End of Heartache

07. Explosions In The Sky :: Friday Night Lights OST

08. The Dresden Dolls :: Dresden Dolls

09. Slipknot :: Vol. 3 (The Subliminal Verses)

10. Otep :: House of Secrets

There's mine. If this topic should be held off until next week (which I don't see why it should, since this isn't a voting thing or anything), then close this or whatever. But if it's perfectly fine, then go ahead and post your top albums of 2004.

...I'm not bored. :shifty:

For me the top two albums of 2004 have been these two here:

franz-ferdinand.jpg

Franz Ferdinand by Franz Ferdinand

picture.jpg

A Grand Don't Come For Free by The Streets

The only two that immediatly sprung to mind. Bah, I'll have a think.

I've only bought a few albums this year, but one of them is a Greatest Hits and the other was released in 2001 (Slipknot's Iowa)

So, I have only a few options left.

1. Slipknot: Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verse: Amazing album. I only say it's amazing because they didn't say 'fuck' throughout the whole album, and that's an achievement in itself. This album also makes the only song to make me listen to it for three days straight without stopping, that song being Vermillion. That song just strikes a chord in me. I didn't really like the accoustic tracks though.

Favourite song: Vermillion

2. Papa Roach: Getting Away With Murder: Getting Away With Murder the song was the first ever Papa Raoch song I ever heard, and immediately I went to buy the album (let's just say I did something not very nice to get to hear it) I also like Caught Dead, the UK bonus track, don't ask me how I got it either.

Favourite song: Getting Away With Murder

3: Linkin Park/Jay-Z: Collision Course: Not a bad album IMO, but could have done with more songs. Pts./99 Problems/One Step closer are three of my favourite songs, combined it's just better.

Favourite song: Points Of Authority/99 Problems/One Step Closer

Edited by ladydavinator

1. Greenday - American Idiot

2. New Found Glory - Catalyst

3. My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers...

4. Jimmy Eat World - Futures

5. Yellowcard - Ocean Avenue

just missing out on the list would be sugarcults "start static", story of the year's "page avenue" and the spiderman 2 OST

i also bough something corporate's "leaving through the window" (2002) which was awesome

I'm not sure if greatest hits should really count, but I'll include them, which would make my favourite album this year:

Supergrass is 10 by Supergrass (shocking choice there).

The Libertines' self-titled second album would also be in my top 10 somewhere, as would Franz Ferdinand, Hot Fuss by The Killers, Kasabian, Up All Night by Razorlight, Aha Shake Heartbreak by the Kings Of Leon, and Happiness In Magazines by Graham Coxon. Plus a couple others I can't really think of right now (maybe The Zutons) - in no particular order (other than the first one obviously).

1. SevenWiser-s/t

2. The Exies-Head For The Door

3. Chevelle-This Type Of Thinking Could Do Us In

4. Green Day-American Idiot

5. The Punisher Soundtrack

6. Modest Mouse-Good News For People Who Love Bad News

7. Crossfade-s/t

8. Breaking Benjamin-We Are Not Alone

Those are the ones I enjoyed this year

Edited by Mortified Penguin

1. Death From Above 1979; "Your A Woman, I'm A Machine"

No doubt in my mind, an album of this caliber belongs on the list. Not only did this record surpass all my expectations, their success came from left field. Why the hell are all of these trendy hipsters getting into this stuff? They did have an old record, many who think that it is better than this.

2. K-OS; "Joyfull Rebellion"

Damn those Canucks make great music. When B-Boy Stance came out, I knew K-OS was onto something special. Not that Exit wasn't great, because it was a superb album. But this really shot into the mainstream with that sizzling autumn hit, Crabbuckit. First he conquers Canada; next he will conquer America.

3. Beastie Boys; "5 To The Boroughs"

Who knew three old men could rap? And he knew after a 4 year hiatus they'd come back and people would still want to hear them rap? They still used their humor but the music was almost... retro? This wasn't the Beastie Boys on Ill Communication or Pauls Boutique. This was very simplisitic and was all about the rhymes being dropped.

4. The Go Team; "Thunder Lighting Strike"

I must admit; when my friend told me about this band I had doubts. I laughed at them first, off. But than I actually listened to the songs and found myself... dancing. Because this stuff is very danceable and fun. Take it to a party and you will see a smile on everyone's face.

5. Green Day; "American Idiot"

Who would have thought that Green Day would be resurrected? Not me. I thought the album would flop. Come on, the Billie Joel almost admits to being a faggot and in this day and age, that can get you blacklisted. American Idiot, the single, got every body worked up especially in a time where there was so much angst and hatred from one side of the population towards George Bush. And than, almost in timed fashion after Bush won the election, they release Boulevard of Broken Dreams. Does anyone else see the great timing? And 6 grammy nominations for the boys must feel good. Has punk broken the mainstream? Nah, but this is as close as it has ever gotten.

6. Alexisonfire; "Watch Out"

How can a record with almost ZERO radio-play go gold? Lets add to the fact, it isn't a major record release. And they are a screamcore outfit? Lots of touring and MuchMusic. Watch Out would have been a lot higher if it wasn't as mainstream as it is. I love the album, so true. But the band has changed a lot since their debut. And I don't really like the change. But nonetheless, it was a great release and for all of you kids around the world, OUR band has arrived.

7. The Streets; "A Grand Don't Come Free"

8. Dizzee Rascal; "Showtime"

9. The Hives; "Tyrannosaurus Hives"

10. My Chemical Romance; "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge"

TOP 5 (probably):

1. Green Day - American Idiot

2. Kanye West - College Dropout

3. Snow Patrol - Final Straw

4. Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Love Bad News

5. Madvillain (MF Doom as Viktor Vaughan the Vaudeville Villain and Madlib)- Madvillainy

Close but no cigar:

Nas - Street's Disciple

Xzibit - Weapons of Mass Destruction

Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand

Yellowcard - Ocean Avenue

PJ Harvey - Uh Huh Her

Alanis Morisette - So-Called Chaos

Albums I hope to/should have by the end of the year:

Graham Coxon - Happiness in Magazines

Jimmy Eat World - Futures

The Killers - Hot Fuss

Dresden Dolls - Dresden Dolls

Camera Obscura - Underachievers Please Try Harder

Bjork - Medulla

The Go! Team - Thunder, Lightning, Strike

And from what I've heard of them, they might displace a couple of those.

Edited by Jimmy the Exploder

1. Slipknot - Vol 3. The Subliminal Verses

Close call between this album and "Archetype" to the top spot, but Slipknot just delve into previously unknown ground with this record - and make it work to an even higher level than what they have ever done before.

Best Song: Vermilion

2. Fear Factory - Archetype

With such hits as, "Slave Labour", "Cyberwaste" and "Archetype" this album could have been top five material with just those songs. This album redefines Fear Factory with a new controlled agression and an overall addictive sound.

Best Song: Slave Labour

3. Drowning Pool - Desensitized

The shift between lead singers (RIP Dave) and styles has worked with Drowning Pool producing this decent album. This is not the same Drowing Pool as what produced and wrote "Sinner" but it is at the listners discretion as to which album is better. Personally its a close horse race in my view.

Best Song: Step Up

4. Breed 77 - Cultura

When I first bought this album, I disliked it. No, I was very annoyed with how over-hyped I had made it in my own train of thought. When "La Ultima Hora" and "River" came out I expected even better from the album...well the majority of the songs aren't that but add to the great Breed sound which makes them the band that they are.

Best Song: World's On Fire

5. Damageplan - New Found Power

Great album. Great album. Great album. All that I can honestly say about this great album.

Best Song: New Found Power

6. Soulfly - Prophecy

Not the best Soulfly have produced but is still a fine album which will appeal to the Soulfly Tribe. The beginnings with "Prophecy" and the simplistic but addictive rift of "Living Sacrifice" lead on to an album which is very decent.

Best Song: Living Sacrifice

7. Seether - Disclaimer II

Disclaimer II is a great album. The songs aren't spectacular or really intelligently written - but they sound good, and even better after a few listens. From the emotional "Broken" to the guitar rift heavy "Sold Me" this album doesn't really stretch the boundaries with content. But hell, it's good for what it is, and good to listen too.

Best Song: Fine Again

8. Papa Roach - Getting Away With Murder

Papa Roach returned after "Infest" with this album which leans towards the Punk side of music. "Getting Away With Murder" the song is one of my most memorable of the year while the also memorable chorus' from other songs make this album worthy to be in the top 10.

Best Song: Getting Away With Murder

9. KoRn - The Greatest Hits

Seeing as it is a complilation of previous songs from previous years it doesn't figure too highly. However the covers of "Another Brick in the Wall" and "Word Up" are top quality. It could be said though that some classic KoRn songs were missed out from the record, "Faget" being one example.

Best Song: Word Up

10. Jimmy Eat World - Futures

Jimmy Eat World produce this decent album, although their style of music is not my best taste the songs are really good. "Pain" sticks in my memory.

Best Song: Pain

1. The Streets A Grand Don't Come for Free

2. Dizzee Rascal Showtime

3. Unearth The Oncoming Storm

4. Aconite Thrill Recliner

5. Beastie Boys To The 5 Boroughs

6. Kanye West The College Dropout

7. Razorlight Up All Night

8. Rammstein Reise Reise

9. Graham Coxon Happiness in Magazines

10. Bjork Medulla

1. Exile in Oblivion - Strung Out

There's 1 poor song on the entire album (Anna Lee), but that's easily overlooked because of the 13 other great tracks. They're doing a video for "Analog" so it could possibly get some TV airtime, it'll definately be on MuchMusic. They're an overlooked band, their new sound is definately interesting, a lot darker than thy used to be.

2. Rise and Shine - pmx

Probably my most surprising purchase of the year. Ask me 3/4 months ago who these guys were I would have shrugged my shoulders. They're a Scottish punk band (They're British, i'm sure they're Scottish) I discovered through Pure Volume. I decided to buy the album after hearing the two songs on Pure Volume and it's awesome from top to bottom. These kids could be pretty big given half the chance.

3. The Libertines - The Libertines

Shunned by some as it wasn't as good as they thought it would be. Personally I think they were setting standards way too high. The more I listen to it the more I love it, similarly to Up The Bracket.

4. The End of Heartache - Killswitch Engage

Always been a fan of Killswitch. I had no idea they had a new album out until I flicked on my TV and a song was playing (Rose of Sharyn). I wasn't looking at it, but when it got to 1:20 (Same as 0:22) the guitar and drum were so tight together, perfectly in time it got me to pay attention. Then it struck me who it was. I bought the album and I love it. Haven't listened to it as much as I would have like to be honest, i've been more bothered with newer releases recently, like Strung Out, Rise Against and Hot Water Music.

5. Siren Song of the Counter Culture - Rise Against

Speaking of Rise Against. It's a pretty average album compared to their previous two. They're not amazing intstrumentalists, but they are good musicians and no how to make good songs. The lyrics are a treat, and really hit home. But it feels like it's all been done before, which really takes the shine off the album, meaning the words are heard, it's a shame really.

6. Hot Fuss - The Killers

7. Near Life Experience - Break the Silence

8. Watch Out - Alexisonfire

9. The Empire Strikes First - Bad Religion

10. New What Next - Hot Water Music

1. "Empire Strikes First" by Bad Religion, I just loved this to no end whatsoever. Still listen to it almost daily.

2. "Reise, Reise" by Rammstein, four days have been enough to convince me that this is a masterpiece. Truly shocking to hear stuff like accordions used in industrial metal, but hey, it works.

3. "Fistful Of Hate" by Pro-Pain, up until now I never realized just how much I like this band. "Godspeed" is an awesome song, one of the year's best. And hey, it even has an instrumental track on it!

4. "American Idiot" by Green Day, a good album but not in top 3 on my list because of other great acts this year.

5. "Porcelain" by Sparta, I got "Wiretap Scars" about two weeks after this and it sounded better than Porcelain, so no high points there.

Otherwise, I'd mention "To The 5 Boroughs" by the Beastie Boys, "A Grand Don't Come For Free" by The Streets and "New Found Power" by Damageplan.

Altough, I am reserving the right for Meshuggah's "Catch-33" to be released in the next 9 days and sweep this list like a river of awesomeness.

I'm no good at whacking stuff in order so, in no particular order, apart from maybe more obvious first, and stuff I'm having to think of later.

Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand

The Killers - Hot Fuss

The Futureheads - The Futureheads (No order, but thats my album of t year)

Kasabian - Kasabian

The aforementioned Supergrass greatest hits (admittedly I didn't buy it and instead just downloaded the extra tracks that weren't on tother albums. Come on, surely I deserve that.)

Ditto with the Verve Greatest, which is absolutely ace

Graham Coxon - Happiness in Magazines

Mull Historical Society - This is Hope

Ash - Meltdown (somewhat underrated, probably through poor single choices)

Charlotte Hatherley - Grey Will Fade (Superb. Criminally overlooked)

The Zutons - Who Killed The... (almost forgot this came out this year, I'd seen them four times before it was released which gave the bizarre effect of knowing every song on a brand new album)

I'm sure I've overlooked tonnes that I've had on heavy iPod rotation all year (The Music springs to mind instantly) but this has been a hell of a year for British music, and with Bloc Party and the Kaizer Chiefs releasing albums early next year it may hopefully continue. Woo indie!