Talking To Americans

apsham

Jean Poutine would be a bad ass PM in my opinion.....

Anyway, have you guys seen Mercers new show? Its like a Canadian version of the Daily show. Except crappier.

Actually I prefer it, because it's not so ridiculously partisan. Rick Mercer is a brilliant political satirist, and Stewart does nothing comparable to Mercer's short rants on his show.

Hahahahaha.

And you wonder why people drive planes into your buildings.

Bwahahahahahaha. That was class.

But he's right, you know. That pretentious, selfish "who gives a fuck about them?" attitude is exactly why America is the brunt of most attacks and "terrorist acts" etc.

While I don't claim to know much about canada, nay, hardly anything at all, I'd like to think most Americans would have the intelligence to figure out that staplers being legalized is a fucking joke.

Ah well, I never had faith in these pretentious assholes anyways :thumbsup:

Hahahahaha.

And you wonder why people drive planes into your buildings.

Bwahahahahahaha. That was class.

But he's right, you know. That pretentious, selfish "who gives a fuck about them?" attitude is exactly why America is the brunt of most attacks and "terrorist acts" etc.

While I don't claim to know much about canada, nay, hardly anything at all, I'd like to think most Americans would have the intelligence to figure out that staplers being legalized is a fucking joke.

Ah well, I never had faith in these pretentious assholes anyways :thumbsup:

Okay, admittedly, that may not be the main reason (although I'm sure it's still a factor) that we as a nation are hated and targeted by terrorists.

However, I can almost assure you that you ask any Canadian or British person on this board about their dislike of america's actions and reactions, the fact that we're cocky, pretentous, self-righteous assholes plays a bigger part in it.

Well allow me to explain the statement I made about not caring...

We're not taught Canadian history in school. As we shouldn't be. There's really no reason for us as a country to need to know that Canada has a Queen, or a two house parliamentary government.

And I as a college student right now have no reason or desire to learn about Canada. If I was entering a field where I would need to know some stuff, I'd gladly look it up, but I don't consider it important to learn about America Jr.

That's what I meant by I don't care.

Following up with Cloudy and stuff, the main reason I personally hate America, is because America seems to have no borders.

America is everywhere.

There's a huge disaster in Asia, sixty THOUSAND people die, and within two and a half pages at the EWB, the topic has turned toward America, and George Bush being a twat. WHY? What the FUCK has that got to do with anything?

Then there's September 11th, and the fact that any time America bombs the fuck out of someone, it's celebrated. Someone flies a plane into an American building, and the whole of America curls up into a fetal position and cries about it every time someone dares mention it, even years after it happens.

"oh noes, something happened to America, how will we ever get over th...OOOH, LETS BOMB.. *points to map of the world blindfolded*..BAHRAIN TO TAKE OUT MIND OFF IT~!".

Meh. Ok, so the last bit was a bit of an exaggeration :shifty: But the rest of it holds true.

Edited for a typo in the first sentance that changed the whole focus of the point :P

Edited by TheReilDeal

Guest ryan_the_canuck

We know you don't care about Canadian history, and we're fine with that. What Canadians get pissed at is Americans who clearly don't know a thing about Canada, the country as it stands TODAY, which is what Talking to Americans highlights. We don't care if you know who discovered Canada, but we do expect you to know that it's NOT Tim Horton. We don't expect you to know that abortions are illegal in Canada, but we do expect you to know that staplers aren't. We expect you to have the basic knowledge of geography that you realize that parts of Canada are south of parts of America, and that not all of us live in igloos, and that the country is not covered by total darkness for eight months of the year, etc.

Following up with Cloudy and stuff, the main reason I personally hate American, is because America seems to have no borders.

America is everywhere.

There's a huge disaster in Asia, sixty THOUSAND people die, and within two and a half pages at the EWB, the topic has turned toward America, and George Bush being a twat. WHY? What the FUCK has that got to do with anything?

The point of the show is to show that Americans are totally ignorant about anything except what's going on in their country or anything that's a giant world issue. It's all common sense, yet people will still believe whatever he says.

Anyways, the main point is this, I found a site with some clips:

http://home.comcast.net/~wwwstephen/americans/

EDIT: The clip at the bottom is the Bush clip, watch it.

And for irony watch the first part of the third clip from the bottom. Also in that clip is the only person who said "Wait a minute....".... a young boy.

Edited by Apple Shampoo

(EDIT: This is in response to Reil's post)Which brings me to how much I can't stand our news. They fucking trivialize everything, especailly in the case of 9/11. I was pretty shocked to start out. Then a week later I was numb to it. A week later it was a fucking joke. I could care less and all the blind patriotism was annoying me. Worse shit has happened. So many more innocent people have died in our occupation of the Middle East.

The tsunami news here always starts of with "8 Americans dead" or "many Americans missing". Who gives a fuck? Over 100,000 people are going to be dead with their homes and lives destroyed. I'm amazed that people aren't more responsive to this. This tragedy really makes you think about how pointless and silly our day to day lives are.

I wish I would have written something a little more eloquent to start out this thread. I didn't mean shit by it and I figured it would be taken as a playful jab. I'm just trying to say that a show like that makes you guys no better than ignorant Americans. Why bring yourselves down to their level? It's bullshit to lable an entire country as a bunch of idiots. Yes they are in the majority, but there are so many interesting and worth while people here. I guess my response was just my way of saying, fuck off, I'm not one of them. Not to mention I was joking.

Edited by cthemason

Guest Ringmaster

Well allow me to explain the statement I made about not caring...

We're not taught Canadian history in school. As we shouldn't be. There's really no reason for us as a country to need to know that Canada has a Queen, or a two house parliamentary government.

And I as a college student right now have no reason or desire to learn about Canada. If I was entering a field where I would need to know some stuff, I'd gladly look it up, but I don't consider it important to learn about America Jr.

That's what I meant by I don't care.