Talking To Americans

apsham

The majority of your country elected George Bush. Therefore he represents your country. It is called democracy.

He speaks on behalf of Americans and you are American. And judging by your shared attitude towards Canada, he does speak on behalf of you.

The majority of your country elected George Bush. Therefore he represents your country. It is called democracy.

He speaks on behalf of Americans and you are American. And judging by your shared attitude towards Canada, he does speak on behalf of you.

So, whatever your prime minister or whatever says, is correct, and you agree 100% with it? If they say it then it must be true for you too, because they represent you. And whatever Saddam hussein believes, is what all the people in Iraq believe. Etc. ...

Wow, you learn something new everyday.

I'd be willing to believe that Canada is almost as dumb/ignorant, on the whole, as the USA.

However, the US media is WAY more closed-minded, focuses 90% on the American side of things, rarely gives the entire story for anything outside of the States. Whereas, Canadian media spends an awful lot of time detailing world issues and American issues, rather than almost solely focusing on Canadian issues.

AND, the US has a lot more people in it - therefore, even if the ratio were about the same, the US would STILL have millions and millions more idiots to single out than Canada would.

Edit: Oh, and our leader is more intelligent and knowledgeable [although far from great].

Edited by grind your soul

Guest raze0811

I think comfort leads to compliance. A lot of us Americans are ignorant on world issues because we can afford to be. It is a luxury we can afford because most of these issues are not knocking on our door, so we are able to distance ourselves from it and concentrate on our personal, social, and professional lives.

I think in any country you go to, you can find people who are ignorant and do not know what is going on outside their borders.

What is most important here (and fueling this stupid debate) is that people seem to repetitively and blindly believe stereotypes in regards to nationality. Not all Canadians are the same. Not all Americans are the same. This debate can end peacefully if you all realize that. I will admit, as an American, I know little about the Canadian political structure or economic status, but it is not because I am cocky or arrogant, or stupid or ignorant. It is because it has no impact on my life. Not to say that makes Canada unimportant, because that is not the case, but it simply does not impact my life. Why waste time studying something that you will never need to know or put to use in your life? I believe in studying for the betterment of oneself, ie I am a computer guy so I am studying for computer certifications. Why on God's green earth would I study the political system of a country I will never visit and where nobody that I know lives?

And this is the clencher?

Its not that those people on TV are so stupid that they believe that staplers are illegal in Canada. It's that, in general, many many people are gullible, and can be fooled into thinking and believing things that aren't true, especially when the person fooling them does it for a living. Its not that Americans are stupid - (At least, not all of us) - Its that the people on that show are gullible enough to fall for these practical jokes. And I'm sure for every one gullible fool that falls for it and gets aired on television, there were a whole lot of people that did not fall for it and their footage will never see the light of day.

Good day, sirs.

P.S. As an American, I think Canada is beautiful. How's that?

I don't like George Bush. That's pretty hard living in Texas, but when you say stupid things like "Is our children learning?" it's pretty hard to like him. Bush should have never been our president, as he lost the popular vote in 2000. Bush hasn't done anything that gives me a reason to start liking him and he's had four years to do something.

That's only middle eastern terrorists. The FLQ doesn't hate us. They hate Canada.

Bwahahahahahahahahaha.

The power of the FLQ is extremly poor, no way they're as big of a threat as the Middle East terorists. The history of Canada did not rely heavily on the United States either, well not as far as saying there wouldn't be a Canada without the US.

That's only middle eastern terrorists. The FLQ doesn't hate us. They hate Canada.

Bwahahahahahahahahaha.

The power of the FLQ is extremly poor, no way they're as big of a threat as the Middle East terorists. The history of Canada did not rely heavily on the United States either, well not as far as saying there wouldn't be a Canada without the US.

Actually, that's a pretty inaccurate phrase.

But they cry whenever someone gets something wrong about their country.

And how many times did you play the sympathy card that one September a few years ago......

Without us, Canada would still be part of the British Empire. Why do I say that? Well look at the facts: Canada was formed as New France AFTER England came here and colonized. Canada left the British Empire AFTER The U.S. did. Canada are slow bastards that like to say the word eh.

Wow, did you learn history or did you just oversimplify a few centuries there. Hey, there is that pretenious and ignorant attitude once again!

Edited by PunkRockPete

Are you saying that Canada left the British Empire before the U.S.? Becuase they didn't leave till the 1790's I believe.

As for other terrorists, the only ones I can think of attacking us our the ones inside of our own country. Now I'm not saying that America isn't full of false patriots and are ignorant, but give us one reason why we should care about any other nation but our own? It's not like you Canadians care about other nations. Ten dollars says most of you Canadians [that aren't Dominican] would be able to name the President of the Dominican Republic.

Ten dollars says most of you Canadians [that aren't Dominican] would be able to name the President of the Dominican Republic.

Moot point. Comparing Canadian/Dominican relations to Canadian/American relations is a joke. For one, Canada's proximity to the Dominican Republic is signifcantly larger than the proximity to America. Secodly, ask anyone anywhere in the world outside of the Dominican Republic who their President is, and I'm certain you'll get few correct answers. Asking Canadians would yield no more correct answers than anywhere else in the world.

The facts are simply these. Because of Canada's close proximity to the US, our friendly relationship with the US, and the country's frequent dealings with one another, it's expected that they know a little something about our country. We're not asking you to list our Prime Ministers in order or know when Confederation occurred, we just ask that you know a little about our government, and use some common sense. Canada isn't a barren ice desert. The temperature doesn't drop 30 degrees when you cross from Detroit to Windsor. We have never made staplers illegal. All we ask is a little courtesy by knowing something about us.