Southern Style Wrestling

TGC

I absolutely love this diary to pieces. You've done what few diaries in the past, in my eyes, could pull off. That being that you've done an excellent job with the old school wrestling feel in a present day diary. Not to mention, it actually feels like an average indy. For as many indy diaries as we get around here, it's a shame that most try to pull off a smark's dream fed.

Typically not a fan of writing a show as if you were watching backstage, and in a way this is no exception, but you have done it well enough for me to enjoy, even though I am not huge on the idea to begin with.

That's all for now.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohio Valley Wrestling was dead.

Jimmy Cornette and myself had been friends since my time in WCW in the early 90’s, and a few times a year we got together, shot the shit, laughed, talked about the past, the present, and the future, and lamented how Smokey Mountain Wrestling had ultimately failed. In fact, it was this day in mid April that the conversation turned once again to talk of that.

”I’m sorry man, I know the time and the effort you put into that place, but I’ve told you before, the whims of Vince and company come and go like wind through the trees.”

Jimmy laughed over the phone.

”You drinking again?”

This time I laughed as I turned the channel on the TV from MTV to a classic rock digital music station. Sheila was in the bedroom getting ready to go out with some friends. I was seated on the couch in nothing but my robe, the music was playing softly, mounds of paper were on the coffee table next to my feet, and a cup of coffee was resting precariously on my lap.

”Just coffee Jimmy, never anything more than coffee.”

I laughed as I heard him chuckle.

”Fucking liar, T. I saw you drink that Pepsi five months ago in Hartford.”

It wasn’t the least bit funny, yet we both laughed like insane men. Such was the nature of this relationship and friendship.

”Ya know T, I think I’m just too fucking tired to want to do this shit anymore.”

”Which shit would that be?

He grunted, said something about a snack and a beer, then returned to talking to me.

”I hate Vince, Stephanie, Hunter, and Ace. I fucking hate them all. They’d come in and take kids that weren’t ready yet or weren’t ever going to be ready, while they let guys like Nova sit down here in OVW and waste away. I mean, I was so fucking happy when they called up Brock, Shelton, John, and Charlie, but let’s face it, they wasted Rico, they abused Jamie, and then they fucking pushed the shit out of Matt and Randy. Fuck, I need to get drunk before I start bitching about Randy.”

I loved it when he got this way.

”What have I said for three years now, Jimmy? Take this chance. Take this hatred and this volatile build-up and put it to use. For fuck’s sake, tell me you’ll do it and I’ll walk out of SSW tomorrow and we’ll be back in business.”

He snorted.

”Like we got along so well in SMW. We were at each other’s throat’s the fucking moment we started. Brian Lee and Mick, fuck did we argue over those two.”

More laughter from both ends, and Sheila walked through naked on her way to the bathroom. I could hang up and try and fuck her again before she left.

God I missed Janine.

”Yeah, but we were on the same page with Stan and Steve weren’t we?”

In 1991 I was given a modicum of control over WCW along with that brain fart Eric Bischoff and Jim Ross. The story is long and tiresome and has been detailed elsewhere far better than I could do here, but suffice it to say that when Turner told The NWA to fuck off he did it with a flair and a panache that hasn’t been seen since. From December of 1990 to January of 1991 that old bastard created a global wrestling company out of thin fucking air, stole every goddamned major talent that The NWA had to offer, and created WCW putting us three in charge. Jimmy quickly became my own personal go to guy, and the two of us shot more ideas off of each other that worked than we did that didn’t. At least I can claim with reasonable assurance that it was this relationship that led to my eventual firing from WCW, at the hands of the brain fart I might add.

Of course, I swear to this day that had Turner backed myself and Jimmy over Eric and Ross that WCW would still be alive, but I’m not sure of that either. When Vader and Borden hated you, well, fuck what can you do? Turner chose those two, Eric turned on Ross, and the rest is history. And led to Hogan and The nWo of course.

In 1993 we walked out of WCW and soon thereafter into SMW, where we fought and bitched and moaned and cried and damn near killed each other. The day he agreed to let Vince in was my last day, but to be honest I was so far into the bottle and the coke at that point I barely remember it.

Do enough drugs with Tammy and you’ll forget years at a time too.

”I mean it T, I’m just so fucking tired. Tired of the bullshit, tired of the lies and backstabbing, and tired of the fucking McMahons. I think I just wanna take the fucking consultant offer that Vince and Stephanie offered me and sit on my ass here in Dayton and collect a check to throw out ideas that those fucking morons won’t use.”

”You don’t wanna wind up bitter like Paul has, do you?”

He laughed again.

”The difference is they won’t put my ass on TV again, I won’t let them, and I won’t try and ass fuck Ace and Bruce while I’m sucking Vince off.”

”They at least explain the decision?”

”Some shit about using OVW’s training center to do only that, and create a new farm region in either Atlanta or maybe somewhere in Alabama. Same old shit that’s been all over the net for months. I still think Dr. Tom is trying to get Niemi to sell out to Vince, but who knows. Fuck, Lance is pissed, while Tommy is walking around thinking he might be called back to Stamford now. Tommy’s probably right though, he produced Snitsky, Masters, and Johnny, and we’ve all seen the fucking push they’ve gotten on TV since being called up. Lance tries to give them Shane and Frankie, and they shit on them before cutting them. At least they finally got it right with Dave, but that shit with killing his push is fucking wrong. They could have had Hogan all over again. I don’t care what Hunter said, Dave could have been the man.”

I sighed. It was all true, every damn piece of it. As much as Jimmy and I would fight and argue, we were always generally on the same fucking page when it came to who was and who wasn’t.

SMW were good days Jimmy. If you won’t go it again alone, then fuck it come down here. Tell Lance the same thing, come down here and you two have jobs, I give you my word on my fucking comics man…”

He laughed again.

”…and we all know you don’t break your word on your fucking funny books. Too fucking funny man.”

”I don’t. And you know it.”

He was silent for a few, then he was dead serious.

I gotta get off of here, but I’ll tell Lance. He started looking a week ago, but yesterday he was dead set on getting out of here and away from Vince. He said something about Mexico, talked about Bret, then said he was done with WWE, so he might be interested. I dunno, but I’ll talk to him for you. He still talks about that god awful Thrillers idea from ’92 when we had him and Chris and Tammy in that story with Hayes and The Freebirds. He loves to call you names over that debacle. I’ll tell him, he loves you, T, he might go for it.”

I laughed as he reminded me about it. In one fell swoop we killed The Thrillers heat in WCW and sent those two to Inoki.

”And you?

”I’m tired, but I’ll talk to her about it and see what she thinks. She did mention coming down in May to see the show anyways, so maybe we can get together with that girl you’re boning and Kanyon and have dinner after and talk?”

I smiled. I’d love to have Lance Storm in SSW, but I’d do whatever it took to get James E. Cornette on my team and on my shows. Bobby was already signed, and maybe that would convince Stan to finally accept my deal too.

We said goodbye and I hung up. Sheila left ten minutes later. I knew I had to end it with her soon, and I was cool with that. She’d keep her job as long as she was cool with it too. If not, I’d fire her as soon as I could without getting my ass in a sling again.

I went to the kitchen and dug out my bottle of Vodka. I was off the wagon too, had been since I took this fucking job, but I was managing. Nobody knew, not even Sheila, and that was fine. I went into my bedroom and picked up the phone. I could call Janine, but she had told me weeks ago not to call again. After the hell she went through with me and Perry, she said she was happy again and didn’t need to be fucked over anymore. I still loved her, and I know she still loved me too, but life was what it was.

I was passed out in my bed two hours later, hung over the next morning, and sauced again by lunch.

Yeah, I was managing just fine.

Cornette! Storm! and the Midnight Express!  Business is about to pick up in SSW.  I liked the little shout out to the WCW diary, hopefully you throw in a few more in the future.  You should do a predictions contest for the next show too.

I don't have a clue what to offer up yet, but what the hell. The card is posted about three or four posts up, anyone who wants to post predictions, preferably with reasoning and not just a list of winners highlighted, may do so. He, or she, with the most correct will get to do something in terms of the diary. I dunno what yet, but we'll figure something out.

So, yeah, if you wanna predict, do so, and if not, well, SSW Crowing Achievement should be posted by midweek or so.

Thanks to all of you for reading and responding.

TGC

10 man over the top battle royal: I'm going to say Perry Saturn wins it, assuming you had to give him some kind of incentive to run with your idea.

Loser Leaves SSW: I think this one is pretty obvious, as Santel is all but gone. Pearce wins this one and hopefully gets some kind of push.

Jannetty vs. O'Haire: I'm thinking you have something planned for O'Haire and a loss to Marty here would kill his momentum, I'm going with O'Haire.

Lane vs. Saturn: This one seems pretty clear, with Saturn going over, but I'm sure your going to have Lenny do some things that don't please your old friend Perry.

Rock n Roll Express vs. The Future: I see RnR getting the win here, with Tedy giving some tough love to his fellow Future members after the match,

Fantastico vs. Smiley: I'm going to go with Julio after some cheating.

Hart vs. Kanyon: I think it's better for Kanyon to get the loss here, plus there is a lot more for Tedy to do if he's chasing the title, plus Who's Betta Than Kanyon?

Kanyon vs Fantastico: Kanyon should win here and become the first SSW Champion.

10 man over the top battle royal: Marty I feel like the old timer is going to grab himself a shot at the big time pumping himself before losing. Unfortunately.

Loser Leaves SSW: Santel He just can't cut it. You would have to get rid of him someway so you might as well make it live. Pearce can move onto bigger and better things.

Jannetty vs. O'Haire: O'Haire I see this developing into a Marty Sean feud with Marty winning battle royal to annoy O'Haire in the future and move him onto bigger and better things.

Lane vs. Saturn: Lane To win the match. Saturn to do some ass kickin afterwards of during for a DQ win or countout loss.

Rock n Roll Express vs. The Future: Future Cheating heels are always required. Rock n Roll lose out to give the new guys a push. Leading to a striker face turn in the future?

Fantastico vs. Smiley: Julio Looking like a big player in SSW and I see Smiley more as a comedy character than a champion. I see him being the easy target for upcoming heels to hate, giving him the title now will lose that possibility.

Hart vs. Kanyon: Kanyon The wiley veteran oversomes the cheating newcomer to further a feud perhaps?

Kanyon vs Fantastico: Fantastico Thanks to interference from Hart to make him a good old fashioned, whiney, revenge filled, smug git. Looking for a Kanyon/Hart Fantastico/Sanders feud from this point on.

Thats why I think. Who knows though, I hope for twists and turns. All I know is im eagerly awaiting every future development in this diary.

10 Man Over the top Battle Royal

- Perry Saturn

Adam Pearce vs. Rick Santel

- Rick Santel, all the signs are pointing to him losing and you being able to get rid of him... I don't think you'll be that lucky as Pearce will leave.

Lenny Lanevs. Perry Saturn

- Perry Saturn will destroy Lenny Lane... which will show that he deserves to be #1 contender after winning the battle royal, that being said Lane may win the match via DQ

Marty Jannetty vs. Sean O'Haire (with Shannon)

- I have a feeling Jannetty will go over O'Haire, O'Haire will destroy Shannon to get rid of one of the "headaches" backstage.

Rock-N-Roll Express vs. The Future

- Rock-N-Roll Express with some "Old-Time" help...

Chris Kanyon vs. Teddy Hart

- Chris Kanyon will win in my opinion... because of his backstage powers... just kididng. Kanyon will win though as I despise Teddy Hart.

Julio Fantastico vs. Norman Smiley

- Julio Fantastico will win. He has had a lot of time on the shows to build his character and I believe that was to set him up to win the title.

As A result of the afformentioned matches: Julio Fantastico vs. Chris Kanyon

- this was actually easy for me to figure out... well at least in my mind, I don't think you would go with two heels in the title match, and secondly I don't think you would put Norman Smiley over Julio. Now though I'm really torn on this match. I think Kanyon will win, as Julio defeated Kanyon on the first show.

Edited by Styk

10 Man Over the top Battle Royal

- Perry Saturn it seems you have some kind of plans for Saturn

Adam Pearce vs. Rick Santel

- It's kind of obvious that Santel will lose this match as he's been absoultely terrible so far, and his attitude is shit. However, despite the fact that he wins, Pearce will leave for TNA.

Lenny Lane vs. Perry Saturn

- Saturn would only lose heat if he lost this match after winning the battle royal.

Marty Jannetty vs. Sean O'Haire (with Shannon)

- Sean O'Haire seems to be getting a push and win over Marty would give him a rub.

Rock-N-Roll Express vs. The Future

- RNR will win this one but they'll probably be a post-match heel beatdown furthering the feud

Chris Kanyon vs. Teddy Hart

- Kanyon wins this one, to go onto the finals, as he seems to have some momentum coming into the match especially with the emotional promo he cut at the last show.

Julio Fantastico vs. Norman Smiley

- Julio has been being groomed as the future champion since the beginning of the diary, and it only seems logical for him to advance to finals. Making it a classic heel vs. face conforntation.

Julio Fantastico vs. Chris Kanyon

- It would seem illogical to have a heel vs. heel finals, as the fans wouldn't know who to cheer for. So that's why Hart vs. Julio wouldn't work. And I don't see Julio losing to Norman so Hart would be the one to lose. I see Kanyon taking the title getting some revenge on Julio for pinning him on the first show. Plus, it will send the fans home happy for once. I do see Julio getting rematch though and possibly winning the title.

• 3 months later...

May came and my world went nuts, both personally and professionally.

I was drinking up a storm again, drunk at least two or three times a week, usually when Sheila wasn’t around although once or twice we drank together, and working my ass off during the days. I had made the decision to dump Sheila, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it. The more time we spent together and the more we talked the more I liked her. I mentioned she was to become my best friend, and that was becoming the case at this point. For a young lady she was incredibly smart and incredibly mature, or I was incredibly immature, and we got along quite well. Yes, the sex was phenomenal, but it was more than that. We clicked in a way that I had only ever clicked with Janine before. I decided to let Sheila in on my past, the one she had been so keen to learn about for awhile now, and I can’t say it was the smartest decision I had ever made.

Neither was falling in love, slowly, with the wrong woman once again though.

“I’ve been married three times, hon.”

I said this over a bottle of wine and a nice glazed chicken, steamed potatoes, and Caesar Salad dinner I had made us. She looked a little surprised.

“Three times? I know of twice.”

I kind of half assed smiled. This was not going to be easy.

“The first time I got married young. We found ourselves pregnant and at the time I thought the right thing to do was to get married. It was a miserable mistake that I regretted a lot sooner than she did. I was too young and I had no business being a husband or a father, although my son with her is still my pride and joy, and we had a daughter as well. You’ll probably meet the both of them soon enough, if you care to that is. We divorced three months prior to my getting the job in WCW in 1990. She was cheating on me with a man I thought was my friend. It turned out for the best in the long run though.”

She took a sip of wine and settled back in her chair. She had known a bit of this, I could tell, but she didn’t know the full story. I saw no need at this time to tell her how it had been an abusive marriage, on both sides, and how I too had cheated multiple times.

“My next marriage came a few years later. Celia had been my assistant in WCW, and we fell in love. She left the company and took a job in Kentucky, and when I left WCW and moved to SMW with Jimmy we moved in together and got married a few months later. By this time I was pretty heavily involved in drugs and alcohol and that was doomed to failure from the start. We were a good team, when I was sober, which wasn’t often. One day I came home and she was just gone. She filed for divorce and I didn’t fight it. I don’t think I fucking cared that she left until I was in rehab in 2000. That was when I met Becky, my third, and current, wife.”

I saw the look on her face when I said it. She didn’t have a clue, most nobody did in SSW, and that was to be expected.

“You’re married?”

I tried to hold her hand but she withdrew it. The worst was yet to come, I wondered if she’d allow me to even get that far.

“Yes, although we haven’t been together at all for almost two full years. She’s a very dependant personality, very addictive as well, more so than I am if you can believe that.”

I laughed. She didn’t.

“Anyways, we don’t talk much, and haven’t for a long time. She lives in our house in Illinois, I pay the house payments, and when she’s not high or binging she’ll call and ask me how things are going down here. She’s a drug addict, a sex addict, and an alcoholic, and before I moved out I found her in some sleazy hotel laid up with three guys and fucked up on heroin. She’s a good person that’s too weak and too stupid to stay clean. Another massive mistake I made. We should get divorced, but for whatever reason I haven’t pursued it yet. I need to, I know this.”

I waited for a response, but all I got was a cold glare. I decided to march on. The dinner didn’t taste so good anymore, so I poured us both some more wine.

“I’m a recovering alcoholic who’s been back on the juice now since I moved down here in November. It’s getting worse and worse, and I know I need to stop, but I don’t know if I can. I’m weak too, when it comes to the drink and women. I know this. It’s my addictive nature; it’s my cross to bear. When we started this…”

She interrupted me.

“What is this Tim? What did we start?”

I cleared my throat and took a sip of wine. Sip is inaccurate. I gulped down my glass. She gave a disapproving look. This was going to end badly I thought.

“When we started fucking, Sheila, it was just that for me. You’re gorgeous, you’re young, and you make me feel really good. I’m forty eight for Christ’s sake, and for the life of me I couldn’t, and still can’t, figure out why you wanted to be with me. So when this started it was nice, it was fun, and it was a diversion. It’s more now. I think of you as my best friend. I have real, true feelings for you. I think I know you’re seeing another guy, one your age, and while I was cool with it at first now it kinda hurts me. I am telling you this because I want you to know me and I want to hold nothing else back from you. This is scary shit for me, I hope you realize that. I hope you care. There’s more to say, but let’s leave it here for now and you decide if I’ve said too much. Either way, no matter the outcome, your job is one hundred percent secure, something else I hope you know.”

She got up, looked at me, and then she spoke. It was what I feared.

“You’re a piece of work, Tim. I tried for months to get you to open up to me, and when you finally do you tell me you’re a liar and then you accuse me of being a whore?

I was stunned by the last part.

“What? I didn’t say that…”

“You implied it. I am NOT sleeping with anyone else. I have fucked you, as you put it, for a few months and only you. Nobody else. I go out with my friends, some of whom happen to be males, and I dance and have a good time. I don’t fuck anyone but you, and that’s about to come to an end. How dare you treat me like this. I thought we had something special, so I guess I was the stupid one, huh? I mean, who cares what people might think, who cares about the age difference, and who cares that you’re my boss I told myself. We’re good together and THAT is what matters. Apparently only to me though. As for your fucking job, shove it up your ass you sonofabitch.”

And with that, as I sat at the table and tried to figure out what the hell I had said that was so bad, she grabbed her purse and left. The only bright spot was that she still had stuff here in my place and she still had the key I gave her a week ago.

So yeah, my personal life was nuts, but so was my professional one.

Santel was a goner, and he had no clue. I had called him leading up to the show, telling him that we needed to talk before the show day and that I wanted him here the Friday before if at all possible. He had agreed, then asked for his check upfront to cover gas. I had wired him his money. He lived sixty five miles away. Idiot. Pearce had indeed done a try out match with TNA, wrestling and losing to Dustin Rhodes on a match televised on Explosion. He looked pretty bad, and I wish I could say I was upset for him, but I wasn’t. Following that Dr. Tom called him and told him he was no longer needed for the NWA-Florida show in a few weeks. He was safe for me once again, but I really felt that was just a temporary situation. He was going to move on to bigger and better things, this I knew, it was just a matter of time.

Speaking of time, everyone and their brother started to negotiate with Matt Hardy following his release from WWE. His break-up with Amy Dumas was far too public, because he had made it as such, and when he wouldn’t shut up about the betrayal by her and Edge he got the boot. Same went for Rhyno, now Rhino once again, after his public fight with his wife following WMXXI. He was released the same week as Hardy, and both became big names for every Indy promotion in the country. SSW was no exception. With the approval of our mysterious boss, told to us through Jessica Henderson, Chris Kanyon and myself began to court both men. We weren’t taken to seriously by Hardy, and I couldn’t blame him, but Rhino was very interested in speaking with us further. We arranged for him to be at SSW Crowning Achievement backstage and then to join us, Chris’ wife, Jimmy, and Synn for dinner afterwards. We’d talk and see where things went from there. I had a good feeling though.

Speaking of Jimmy, while Tommy Dreamer was now working on the SMACKDOWN! Creative Team and Lance Storm had turned down my offer and went home to Canada for now, Jimmy had resigned his affiliation with the WWE. He had yet to tell me one way or the other if he was going to come work with us here in Georgia, but I had a gut instinct that he was leaning that way. He couldn’t retire from the business and I didn’t see him really heading to Ring Of Honor as rumors on the net suggested. I had a feeling that Jimmy Cornette was headed SSW’s way, and that was going to be golden.

My talks with Stan Lane fell through, as he was just not interested in working with us at all, however, so for the time being my dreams of reuniting The Midnight Express, only on a grander scale than RoH had done, were dead. Oh well, it might have been cool, it would have been fun, but it was not to be.

Then the truly unthinkable happened. I had talked with a good friend of mine from Illinois, Steve Merchant, a professional private investigator. I was done working for a mystery boss, I needed to know who I worked for and why he or she wanted to remain unknown so badly. Steve had taken my money and told me that he’d get back to me. As I sat in my office on May 12th, two days prior to our fourth and biggest show to date, Jessica walked in. She sat down across from my desk and before I could ask what she was doing here she spoke.

“Timothy, one of our bosses is on his way here. He’ll be in Georgia tonight and he wants to meet with you, me, and Chris tomorrow morning at the restaurant in his hotel.”

I was stunned. Wait, one of our bosses? Plural?

“He’s also made it clear that he intends to take a slightly more active role in the shows and the promotion from here on out, as I’m sure he’ll explain tomorrow, and that he intends to be on the show this Saturday.”

I sat back and thought about how badly I needed a drink. How badly I needed a drink and needed to talk to Sheila. It had been five days since we had talked. I had tried to find her, to no avail. But I really needed a fucking drink now.

“Intends to be on the show how?”

She smiled, and for the first time I really saw how utterly drop dead gorgeous she was. I forgot the bitch part and saw this woman before me as simply that, a strikingly attractive woman.

Fuck me, I needed help on so many levels.

“He plans to run in after a match and make a save. He says you’ll love it. I hope for your sake, Timothy, that you do.”

“How many employers do we have, Jessica? Seriously, no bullshit this time please.”

She winced at the word, but smiled again.

“We are owned by four very powerful men in the wrestling world, Tim, seriously big names that wanted, until now I suppose, to not be involved in SSW in any way that would draw attention to them. I don’t know why, but maybe we’ll all find out tomorrow. Nine sharp, don’t be late, and inform Chris of the same, okay?”

“Sure Jessica, and hell, I’ll be there at seven. Oh, and if you talk to this guy, tell him I can’t fucking wait.”

No wincing this time, just an evil smile.

“I’m sure none of us can fucking wait, Timothy.”

She left with that said. Was she warming up to me? And four owners, four men who are powerful in this business? Wow, this wasn’t what I expected in the least.

Let the speculation begin.

Edited by thegarvincomplex

Wow, very good update TGC. It's good to see this thing going again as I was a big fan when it was running before. The four owners situation also looks very promising for the continuation of this. I have a feeling that you're going to have the one owner running into the main event and forming an Alliance with either Julio or Kanyon - and even possibly ruining the ending Tim had planned for the match, going over his head.

That's what I personally feel, but I guess I'll just have to see now, and I can't wait.

10 man over the top battle royal: No clue who is in it, so I will say Bobby Eaton. :shifty:

Loser Leaves SSW: The rumour with TNA does add intrigue, but the Santel hating pretty much kicks him out. Still, i'm going to pick him. Something about his "I'm a clueless fuck up" gimmick amuses me. Ricky Santel for the win.

Jannetty vs. O'Haire: Marty wins by DQ, so O'Haire stays strong.

Lane vs. Saturn: Perry gets the W, and than proceed to hurt Lenny Lane. Hurt him bad.

Rock n Roll Express vs. The Future: I see the upset when the Future gets the win. I also see the tag formula, but who doesn't?

Fantastico vs. Smiley: Smiley is good, but doesn't seem to be in line for the big push. Especially after Kanyon's great promo.

Hart vs. Kanyon: Kanyon after his great promo. In addition, he is turstworthy enough to put the belt on.

Kanyon vs Fantastico: Kanyon will win because he's probably the top face, and is probably the most loyal worker in SSW.

As for the break-up... well it sucks. Still, the owner reveiling is good, and at least you know they are in some way associated with wrestling. I can't wait ot find out who it is, and what "Tim" will really think of them. The way SSW goes, it could be ugly. As for Tim himself, I like the inner conflict. It's nice to see someone's mind picked at a little, adds nicely to the diary without taking too much away from the shows.

I sat at the bar of the Holiday Inn near the Atlanta Airport and sipped on a Skye and coke. Odd choice for a drink, but unless you taste the drink you have no idea it is alcoholic due to the no smell factor, and considering who I sat down next to me on May 12 at eleven pm it was probably a good call on my part.

I’ve been a successful drunk before in case you couldn’t tell.

I was there to see if maybe I’d recognize some “very powerful man in the wrestling world” sitting here pounding them back. I never expected to see Jessica Henderson sit down next to me. Twice in one day talking with her would either be incredibly eventful or the sixth sign of The Apocalypse.

Or both.

“Well, isn’t this a coinkidink? Stalking me now, Jessica?”

She ordered a Long Island Ice Tea, looked at my glass, then pulled out a cigarette. Surprise, surprise, the Ice Queen Bitch smoked and drank?

“Do you smoke, Timothy?”

I smiled and took the Pall Mall Menthol Light 100 as she offered it to me. She lit us both up, and I remembered how good it felt to inhale this poison into my body.

“Not for about three years now, but thanks for hooking me again, Jessica. So, give me the verbal rundown for being in a bar at eleven at night now so we can get it out of the way.”

“I have no such plans in mind. It’s obvious why you’re here, even if you are drinking an alcoholic beverage as you sit here.”

She was guessing.

“That hurts me, Jessica. You know no such thing.”

Her drink was delivered and she paid the bartender, leaving a healthy tip for the guy in the process. Suddenly my one dollar tip for my five dollar drink seemed cheap as hell.

“Then let me have a drink, so I do know. If I am mistaken I will apologize profusely.”

“No thanks. Germs and all you know.”

She smiled and she exhaled.

“That’s very much a lie. While I don’t know her well, the little Sheila girl doesn’t seem to me to be the most scrupulous woman when it comes to whom she decides to sleep with.”

Ouch. That hurt far worse than I ever would have thought it might.

“Yes, well I happen to know for a fact that Perry is pretty much the same way. And for shame with the random insults and guessing you keep doing. Rather petty, isn’t it?”

She almost choked on her drink, which made me feel kinda good.

“Shall we continue this dance or would you like the truth, Timothy?”

“As long as I don’t have to reciprocate, sure. And please, today you called me Tim, now you’re back to Timothy, can you just call me T? It sounds the most, well, normal to me. Please?”

She butted out her cigarette and I found myself wandering her body with my eyes. Stop it, you are falling in love with Sheila, remember?

“Alright, Tim, we’ll agree on that as a compromise?”

I laughed.

“Sure Jessica, Tim will suffice.”

“As for the truth, Perry Saturn and I are not now were we ever sleeping together. I’ve known Perry since I was eighteen years old. He’s a friend of the family and a close personal friend of mine. He is not my lover, and to use your vernacular yet again today, we’re not fucking, Tim.”

I smiled an awkward smile, almost feeling bad about it in the process.

“Why didn’t you defend your reputation then last month in that meeting? I know I sure as hell would have.”

“Why? People will believe what they wish to believe, and quite frankly my personal life, what there is of it, is my concern and mine alone.”

“Yet you offer it up to me here and now?”

“Despite this relationship we have, I find you to be an intriguing man, Tim, and I also wish for you to stop e-mailing one of our employers and insinuating things. As much as you don’t wish to lose your job, nor do I mine.”

I was seeing a totally different side to Jessica, and all it was doing was confusing the fuck out of me. Was she setting me up for something? She had to be, right?

“Then why try to fire me? Why threaten me at every turn? Basically, Jessica, why be such a bitch?”

She flinched again. Good. I could feel my temperature rising and my emotions heading to the upset side. Why did this fucking woman infuriate me?

Shit, maybe this was a Sam and Diane, David and Maddie kind of relationship after all.

Sheila. Sheila. Her name is Sheila.

“I am sorry you feel that way about me, Tim. I don’t know, sometimes I do things at the time that I find myself curious about later on. I never claimed to be a perfect woman.”

Holy hell, I think I hurt her feelings.

“No sweat Jessica, but then neither am I. So, we can call a truce now? I mean, I beat you thus far in the game of trying to fuck up my career, but why don’t we put a stop to it and agree that we can and should work together to see SSW through to the next level and some modicum of success.”

She smiled, removed two more cigarettes from her purse, and lit us up again. My glass was empty, as was hers, and she smiled and called the bartender over.

“I agree Tim, if only until your insane ideas infuriate me yet again. Another drink?”

“Same as before, please.”

I smiled. Then she outdid me.

“Another Long Island and a Vodka and coke for my friend.”

“Touché, Jessica. You caught me. Lucky guess or...?”

She looked deadly serious all of a sudden.

“So exactly how long have you been off the wagon, Tim, and how far have you truly fallen?”

Shit, this was so not a conversation we ever needed to have.

“And please don’t insult my intelligence, Tim, as I may be the only one, but I am fully aware that you are indeed drinking again. My father was an alcoholic, I know the signs.”

“Quite a bit of opening up tonight, Jessica, next you’ll be inviting me back to your place for some sex.”

Is it still sexual harassment if the woman is technically your boss?

“You should remain in check, Tim, or else you will be fired. Nobody wants or needs to see you self destruct again like you have so many times in the past. You need this job, and we both know it. You fail here, again, and your career is finally over. You know that right?”

Bitch.

“Yes, Jessica, I fucking know it.”

Our drinks came, I paid this time, and suddenly I wasn’t as thirsty anymore.

“I’m not trying to offend you or insult you in any way, Tim, I’m actually trying to help you. Trust me on this, if the owners of this company find out you’re back in the bottle they will fire you with no hesitation, especially if they are ready to make themselves known. Just a word of warning.”

I smiled despite myself.

“Thanks, and I’ll keep it in mind. Seriously.”

She downed her Long Island Ice Tea in two big gulps, then stood. I saw when she did that it went right to her head. I laughed as she wobbled a bit, then felt odd as she put her hand on my shoulder.

“He’s here, I know as I picked him up from the airport and dropped him off, but he’s in for the night. The meeting has been changed, but you will find out from him as soon as you check your messages.”

My messages? My cell phone was in my car, left there on purpose.

“Okay, no hints?”

“None needed. And Tim, for an old man who’s rather overweight and out of shape, you aren’t to bad looking. In another world, you’d most assuredly get an invite home. See you tomorrow.”

And with those fucked up beyond belief words, The Ice Queen Bitch staggered out of the bar leaving me to ponder what the fuck the last thirty five minutes had really been all about.

I took a sip of my drink, left another tip, and left the bar. Once in my car I saw I had two missed calls and two voicemails. I got myself on the interstate and then put the phone on speaker and listened.

Call number one was a fucking joke.

“Hi T, it’s Taylor Matheny calling. Look, I just scored a job on a John Waters film shooting in a few weeks doing make-up. Big break for me, hahaha, as I’m sure you understand. Anyways, I can’t make this Saturday’s show, and quite frankly I won’t be able to make the next two for sure. I know we have a contract and all but, well, is there any way you could see fit to let me out of it? I’d greatly appreciate it. Call me back whenever. Thanks, bye.”

Yeah Taylor, the fucking company that had to postpone a show because we couldn’t get a referee and have me fill in on our first show, doing quite shitty I might add, has no problem allowing you to no show us and only tell me two days before the next show. Some people were completely inept and retarded. She was getting called first thing tomorrow morning for damn sure.

The second call, however, changed it all for me in SSW once again.

“Hey T kiddo, listen I just got into Atlanta and I’m dog ass tired. Why the hell does a flight from Texas to Georgia need a three hour lay over in goddamned New Orleans? Fucking flights are more fucked up than ever. Why the fuck didn’t I just drive?”

That voice. Unmistakable. Holy shit. What the hell was he doing owning one fourth of a thirtieth rate promotion like Southern Style Wrestling?

“Yeah, so I’m beat and I ain’t making no nine in the morning meeting, plus I wanna change it from this shit hole’s restaurant to your office. I called your helper lady, told Jessica, and called Chris too. It’ll be at noon now. See ya there kiddo, and look forward to talking to you again, it’s been too long you drunk fuck.”

And with that he disconnected.

I got into my apartment and found a note on the floor by the door. It was from Sheila. Next to it was her key, and upon further inspection the clothes and shit she left here were gone. The note was short and sweet and to the point. We were threw, she was hurt, I should have been home tonight, and she was coming in to work tomorrow for the meeting. Also some nice allusions to a legal battle if I changed my mind and tried to fire her for any of this.

So, in one night I had been kinda sorta maybe hit on by Jessica, learned she’s not a Perry fucking whore, found myself more and more attracted to her, officially been dumped by my girlfriend, been threatened with a sexual harassment suit by my now ex-girlfriend, and learned who one of my employers was.

What a night.

Oh, and I might have to sue Taylor Matheny as well.

And what the fuck was he doing owning a piece of SSW?

Edited by thegarvincomplex

A flight from Texas to Georgia.

A powerful man in the wrestling world.

The unmistakeable voice.

The use of "dog-ass tired".

The shock in Tim's mind.

If I'm reading the clues correctly, someone's about to be DOUBLE-CROSSed. And I love it.

Keep it comin', Tim. Gonna love how our side-projects work out.

Just caught up with this and I'm going with Fuller or Funk as part owner of SSW. Also I think you'll be pulling a swerve with the Santel thing but then again from what I've read you're not much for the Russo swerves.

Since I'm not very knowlageable about Old School wrestling, I'm going to say that it's Terry Funk. This diary is one of my favorites, I like Indy diaries, especially if its not a big one. I like your writing alot, it gets me interested in charecters that I normally wouldn't care about. The Old vs. New angle is interesting to me, as I like Hart and want to see how he fucks with you. All in all, this is a great diary, something I hope continues for a long time to come.

Glad to see this one hasn't been left behind. Re-read everything, and I enjoyed it again the second time. I still think the style you're using for the shows is perfect for this kind of fed. Not really sure where' you're gona go with the wh ole "Jessica issue", but then again, that's part of the fun, right?

No real big critiques so far, aside from a few of the guys character's not really standing out to me too much (no major ones, just some of the less knowns).

As far as the mystery owner? I'm gonna say...Stevie Ray Huffman... :shifty:

I sat in my office on Friday, May 13 and looked at the assemblage before me. Sheila had set up a long table, and here we all sat, the new future of SSW. All we were missing was the other three owners, and we’d have the whole creative and business team here in one room. Besides myself , Jessica Henderson, and Chris Kanyon, several stars of SSW were in attendance as well. Ricky Morton and Marty Jannetty had been invited without my knowledge, although the two of them had helped make many a decision on show day so it wasn’t something I felt at all awkward about or uneasy with. It was the fact that this man standing at the head of the table had decided to make these decisions without even telling me that was eating at me. I was supposed to be the head booker and head of creative for this fledgling little company, and it seemed that at every turn I was losing more and more power. I didn’t like it, but that was all ego talking. The other man here, well, while I knew he was coming into town to see the show and shoot the shit, as well as my trying to get him to agree to work with us, I was still shocked that my boss had invited him.

user posted image

James E. Cornette sat next to me. I hadn’t had a chance to sit down with him and find out how it had happened yet, but it was official. Along with myself, Chris, Marty, Ricky and the boss man, Jimmy was now officially a part of the SSW booking team and on the payroll. He’d turned down WWE’s offer to consult, as I knew he would, and was going to be a part of our team. He was a damned big league name in a small time promotion. Along with Ricky, Chris, Marty, and one of the four owners I might add.

As for this owner, his voice had given it all away last night on my voice mail, and it was so totally not a shock when The Hardcore Fucking Legend Terry Funk walked in with Jessica today. He was one fourth of the owners of SSW, and I still didn’t have a clue what he was doing being associated with this company.

user posted image

“I know better than anyone that what looks like dog shit on tape might look great live, and since we ain’t exactly pining for a TV deal or trying to get our shows on Pay Per View, I’m here to take a look at how the shows look live. I say this cuz some of our stuff looks like complete dog shit on tape. Some of the dog shit, I think we can fix, but if it ain’t broken we ain’t gonna try to fix the rest of it. From what I’ve seen the boys try damned hard, the fans eat a lot of this shit up, and you all put together a good looking show. But we ain’t seen a dime come in yet and that ain’t gonna fly for much longer. T, kiddo, tell me what you plan to do to see to it that the boys that ain’t working get fixed.”

I smiled at Terry. We’d known each other for a damned long time and had worked together more times than I could or cared to count. We had a decent enough relationship over the years, and hell, I think he considered me a friend and I knew I considered him one, but this was going to be tough. What I saw as good in the ring wasn’t exactly his opinion on the subject.

“Give me a few names, Terry, and I’ll tell you what we’re thinking on them so far.”

He rattled the names off without a second thought.

“That Santel kid and Cody Hawk, for starters, since the fans don’t give a piss and two shits about them right now, and haven’t. Is the Santel kid gone after tomorrow’s show?”

“That’s about it on Santel. He’s not improving, he’s really pretty goddamned stupid, and I don’t see any improvement coming. As For Hawk, myself and Chris have been discussing it. For tonight we’re gonna throw him in to sub for Matt Stryker, who got a last minute call to work the Ring Of Honor show to replace someone who’s injured. I guess we’ll see how he does tonight.

Terry shook his head in the negative.

“We need to make the decision and stick with it kiddo. The fans, they sit on their fucking hands whenever he’s out there. They have no interest and, like Santel, it ain’t gonna change I don’t think. Use him tonight, then cut his ass loose.”

Chris spoke up now.

“Logically we can use him in a second Loser Leaves SSW match in June. It makes sense and continues the idea that if you can’t hang and win you leave, like what we’re doing with Santel tomorrow.”

“Logically he’s a waste of fucking money, Chris, and trust me when I tell you that while money managing ain’t my strong suit, I don’t like to lose any more of it than we have to. This is a job for ya’ll, and I know you don’t wanna lose it, but for me and the others it’s an investment that so far ain’t paying out diddly squat.”

My turn.

“And who are these other three, Terry?”

Jessica grimaced while everyone else looked to Funk.

“There’s a time and a place for learning things, kiddo, and this ain’t them. We kept things secret because that’s how we wanted it to go down; nothing’s changed on that front. You guys, and lady, know about my involvement, and that stays between us. I’m gonna work at SSW shows now and again as I see fit, like tomorrow night, but the others will come forward when and if they wanna.”

Strike forty five. Well, my average sucks but I sure as hell play hard and try.

“Shannon Ward called this morning and bailed on us too. Once again she has other commitments, like the first show when Teddy informed me that she was working in Canada. I called Teddy again since he seems to know everything she’s doing, and he said she’s working another promotion tonight. Unlike Matt she’s not in the least bit valuable. I wanna cut her loose.”

Terry sat down now, finally, relaxing me a little.

“Ain’t nobody valuable enough that they can’t be replaced, kiddo. Fire her, it’s your call. Speaking of not too valuable to replace, let’s get it said and done. You still dipping your stick in your assistant’s oil?”

Terry Funk, ladies and gentlemen, to the point always and absolutely no couth what so ever. I cleared my throat and saw the small smile appear on Jessica’s face.

“Sheila and I have no relationship other than a business one at this time Terry.”

He nodded.

“Good then get together with that asshole attorney on Monday and get the Sexual Harassment thing dropped. We got hit with it this week, and she claims a bunch of shit that we can’t afford. Don’t buy her off and let the useless fuck handle it all, but tell him the whole story, your side anyways. If it’s not gone away soon, you’ll be fired T. We understand each other?”

We sure as hell did. She threatens a sexual harassment suit in her letter last night, knowing full well she’s already hit us with it? Fuck me this was about as bad as could be.

Thank you Jimmy for moving the dialogue along to a new subject.

“I heard about the Taylor Matheny situation, and I think I have it covered. Chris Kay worked with us in Ohio and he didn’t get picked up with a bunch of others when WWE walked out on us and shut us down as a developmental territory. He’ll work tomorrow’s show and from then on.”

Jimmy was a godsend. I didn’t know what the hell to do about Taylor and the lack of a referee again, but I had laid the legal issues on Jessica this morning. Apparently she had discussed it with him, however

“You got any young guns up there that Vince shit on? Anyone we could use?”

Terry was thinking along the same lines as I was. That was a positive.

Sexual harassment? Fucking Christ, Sheila, why the hell did you do this to me?

“A few that would work. Chris knows Seth, he’s good, young, and would fit down here. Fits even better in the Midnight Express idea he and T have been batting around.”

“Seth’s good, no doubt about it. I worked with that kid a few times in OVW when I was recuperating. He was green but that was two years ago. Corny’s right, he’ll fit.”

“He’s a fuck load better now, Chris, but the E still passed on him. Some shit about not being big enough and not needing any more Cruisers. He's still not a ready for prime time player, but if they would have taken him and moved him to Georgia with this new developmental area he would have been good for them in another year or so. Their loss is our gain though. I’ll get in touch and we can all talk to him.”

“Corny, you, Chris, and T handle it. Handle Rhino tomorrow night too. I want his ass working for us. Matt Hardy is a good kid, if not fucked in the head over that deal with his ex. He’s gonna work for any fucking company that’s willing to pay him and let him shoot his damn fool mouth off about what happened. Get a hold of him again guys, let him know how serious we are and drop a few names if you want to. Mine, Vader’s, and Bigelow’s might help.”

I knew we wanted Rhino, hell I wanted Rhino bad. I was aware of Matt Hardy and had tried once. Hell, I’d seen Seth go a few times and knew he’d be good and would indeed work in the Express idea. However the last two names caught me off guard. Apparently it did Ricky as well.

“Vader and Bam Bam? Since when?”

“Since yesterday. Vader’s a lock for six shows and should bring some asses into some seats. Bigelow’s still talking to me. He says he’s retired, but I’ve said that a time or two myself. Another name that could help us out, yanno?”

Of course we knew. However a thought struck me, and I didn’t like it. Well, several thoughts struck me, such as the fact that last I knew Vader fucking hated me and Bam Bam Bigelow thought I was a wife stealing piece of shit, but the one that I wanted to discuss was most prevalent in my mind.

“We have the championship match tomorrow night Terry and while it hasn’t come up…”

“No need. I like it and we ain’t fixing the unbroken shit, remember?”

Chris and I sighed. Maybe it would work, maybe it wouldn’t, but booking to this for three months and having it changed on us at the last minute would not have been a good thing.

“Okay, before we move on, a few more names, kiddo. Tell me why Lenny Lane still works for us and why we jobbed that kid Pearce out to him?”

Once again Jessica smiled and I knew what was on her fucking mind.