What Gigs have you been to recently?

Jook

Okay. Here's vol. 1, part one of "GoGoLove goes to concerts! Maybe you should too!" It chronicles all of last year's shows I went to, starting with the Nova Benefit Show at the Vera Project last year.

The opening band was Jehosephat, which no longer exists. They had three songs and the first two were pretty bad. However, the third song was GREAT. It was called the Rant Song and it featured Rebecca, the singer, going like "You know what I hate? Pizza! Because it gets all over your fingers and you have to clean them up with napkins! ... You know what I hate? Napkins!" and so on until she referred to the song itself and finished with "You know what I hate? This song!" From the ashes of this has sprung the much better Red Scare. (5/10 because of the Rant Song and the fact that Rebecca herself is really funny, creating up random bullshit origins for her band.)

Then came Washington State Legislature, or W.A.S.L. for short, featuring a bunch of my friends; Victor, Robin (who is now in a band with me called Sci-Fi Life and Death), Josh, Ky and Tristan (the latter three are accquaintances, really, but whatever). They were actually really fun. The songs were really goofy, but enjoyable and at one point there was a really funny semi-song where Tristan, who was doing vocals at that point (it switched between him and Victor), asked everyone to lie down and close their eyes and they'd get hot chocolate. And yep, everyone who did so got said chocolate drink. (6/10 for innovation and amusing songs.)

Then came Pederast. I remember literally nothing about them, so they get no rating.

And then one of the two "real" bands paying, the Botox Aftermath, a political punk band who sung songs mocking the government and all that. Solid stuff all around, but the way they ended their set, by playing "Stand By Me" and inviting everyone who knew the lyrics to come up on stage and sing it with them, bumps it up a point because it was so awesome. (7/10 for rockin' and stuff.)

I left after that, so I don't know how the other headliner was.

It's late now, so I'll stop there. In part two of volume one; Evanescence! White Stripes! Weird Al! And Cold stinking up the joint! BE THERE!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This year?

Uhh..

Off-hand, I can think of..

Every Time I Die [9/10 and 9/10]

w/ Black Dahlia Murder [9/10 and 9/10]

w/ As I Lay Dying [7/10 and 8/10]

w/ Scarlet [5/10 and 6/10]

From Autumn to Ashes [5/10 and skipped them the second night]

w/ hopesfall [7/10 and 6/10]

w/ Most Precious Blood [8/10 and 10/10]

Bleeding Through [7/10 and 6/10]

w/ Comeback Kid [7/10 and 5/10]

w/ Between the Buried and Me [9/10 and 10/10]

w/ She Kills [5/10 and 4/10]

God Forbid [6/10]

w/ Walls of Jericho [8/10]

w/ Nora [7/10]

Evergreen Terrace [7/10]

w/ On Broken Wings [7/10]

w/ Embrace Today [7/10]

Dillinger Escape Plan [9/10]

w/ The Locust [8/10]

I'm sure there were more, I just can't be assed to remember them right now. I've seen a TON of local shows, with The End, Courtesy Blush, Abandoned Hearts Club, Arkata, Mare, and other such bands - but they don't count.

COMING UP:

May 31 - In Flames, Killswitch Engage, As I Lay Dying

June 8/9/10 - Burnt by the Sun, Unearth

July 12 - Remembering Never, Twelve Tribes, someone else

July 6/7 - DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN!!!

July [forget] - HELL FUCKING FEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And that's all I can think of.

EHHHH.

GoGoLove Goes to Concerts! Maybe you should too! Vol. 1, part 2.

Winding down with 2003, let's head to Bumbershoot '03, where I went for one day and saw four groups...

First was Black Eyed Peas, because I was waiting for Vendetta Red to start. Enjoyable hip-hop, but nothing compared to the band I WANTED to see but couldn't due to being doublebooked at that time, De La Soul. They were still good enough to keep my attention until it was time to go, though. (6/10 for being good enough for government work.)

Then was Vendetta Red, a band I quite like but am worried about. I'll get to that later. The show itself was in this little enclosed space and I somehow was pushed into the very middle of the crowd where people were moshing, or attempting to, and giving me a headache. And there was this one guy who pissed me off because he kept yelling the names of the songs they were playing. "OPIATE SUMMER! OPIATE SUMMER! OPIATE SUMMER!" I KNOW IT'S FUCKING OPIATE SUMMER, YOU DUMBSHIT, BECAUSE THEY'RE PLAYING IT RIGHT THE FUCK NOW, SO SHUT UP! Vendetta Red themselves were good, but they did do one thing that continues to piss me off; they keep pushing "Stay Home", a blase emo "Daddy beats us." singalong, as one of their big songs when it's probably the worst song they've ever made. And they didn't play "All Cried Out" or "Ribcage Menagerie." So this was a flawed, but entertaining show since V-Red's vocalist, Zach Davidson, always spazzes out on stage. (7/10 for a good show, but also a scary foreshadowing of what their new stuff might be like.)

After a couple hours of hanging out I went to the main stage and saw the two headlining bands. The first was Cold. Now, all I had heard from them was the song from Tough Enough II and "Stupid Girl", the latter of which I enjoyed to some extent despite the fact that it's a really dumb song. So I was expecting them to be decent. Wrooooooooong. They sounded completely unmotivated and bored, that or they are just not good at playing big shows. As it turns out a lot of members of my clique were at the same show, though I didn't see them, and the general consensus was that they sucked. However, they did do Stupid Girl all right, but that was it. (3/10 for managing to pull the one song that mattered off right.)

Finally came Evanescence (sic?), who I sort of like. They slightly got lucky, really, because it would take a REALLY bad band to NOT sound better than Cold did. Evanescence, anyway, put on a decent show that never really got entirely entertaining, but were comfortably okay with some nice moments. Could Amy Lee have thanked Seattle MORE, though? Between every song she HAD to remind us of how very very much she loved us or whatever because 107.7 was one of the first stations to play them. (6/10 for not sucking and generally being moderately good.)

Moving on, now, to the Seahawks Exhibition Center or something for another doubleshot of garageish bluesy rock & roll! By the way, if you see a concert being held at this place, DO NOT GO unless you absolutely adore the bands playing. It's an awful place for concerts. So, the opener was the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, who I came in a little late for. They sounded pretty decent but nothing truly amazing. However, it might have had something to do with the utter suckiness of the venue more than the band's quality. (6/10 for trying valiantly to sound good at a bad place)

And then the headliners, the White Stripes. After what felt like an eternity of Betty Boop cartoons (you read that right. This British girl who flew in to Seattle to see the show (WTF?) and I ended up randomly making fun of the cartoons to pass the time), the Stripes played and they were awesome. They hit every right note for the most part in terms of song choices, though I wish they'd have played "The Air Near My Fingers", and sounded really good considering. And for their encore, since this was only a couple days removed from Johnny Cash's death, they covered Cash and did a great job of it. Well played, Jack and Meg, well played. (8/10 for overcoming a terrible venue and rocking my socks.)

And then there was Al. I've been a lifelong fan of Weird Al Yankovic and FINALLY I got the chance to see him live, and for FREE! (Well, technically. I had to pay for admission to the fair, but I got good general admission seats to see Al.) And holy FUCK does the man put on a show. He played every major song he ever released sans Like a Surgeon, I think maybe Dare to Be Stupid, and Another One Rides the Bus for whatever reason, half of them in the GREATEST LIVE MEDLEY EVER where he just blitzed through a verse or two of like ten or so of his best songs (including My Bologna, the My Heart Will Go On parody about pizza delivery, Jurassic Park, the Billy Joel Piano Man parody about Spider-Man (Ode to a Webslinger?), and SO MUCH MORE). Not to mention dressing up in full Kurdt Cobain regalia for Smells Like Nirvana and yes, the MOTHERFUCKING FAT SUIT FOR "FAT"! And he also did Your Horoscope for Today, which is totally his best original song, and he managed to perfectly transition The Saga Begins into Yoda (and for the former he had a ton of guys in Storm Troopers show up!). This is a comedy concert at its finest, and transitions into not just a concert, but also performance art. (10/10 for being tied for being the best concert I have ever seen EVER.)

Coming up in Vol. 2, the shows I've seen this year so far! Featuring RASPUTINA~!, the triumphant return of Rebecca from Jehosephat, and the worst band I've ever seen (not either of the previous mentioned bands)! Be there! Again!

The Killers Yesterday

The Departure (supporting): 8/10 - surprisingly good. Bassist was class.

Surferosa (supporting): 9/10 - The lead singer was charismatic and got the crowd going. She looked demented at times, but she was great. I got her autograph and shook her hand. She stage-dived on my friends as well.

The Killers: 10/10 - Wow. While I was pushed back becaue I'm small and didn't want to get killed in the Mosh Pit I watched from afar. But still...FUCKING class. Mr. Brightside was brilliant - but the highlight was Indie Rock 'n' Roll.

W00T, THE KILLERS TODAY!!! Can't wait. And by going what Xand says it's going to kick ass. Surefosa aren't to bad too, haven't heard of The Departure though, might try and check them out before going down to York.

Okay, some i've been too. For some I don't mention the openers, as up here they often just use local bands as it's often nearing the end of UK tours. Or i've jsut forgotten who the openers were, probably cos they were shit.

OPM - 0.5/10

Sucked nuts, but free tickets though. Threw a milkshake at them in McDonalds when they were leaving :D Missed :angry:

IRON MAIDEN - 10/10

w/ Funeral for a Friend - 9/10

Absolutely awesome, FFAF just had two amps placed at the side of the stage (moderately big) and then where Maiden came out, they had all sorts of massive shit all over the place. Truly amazing.

ALKALINE TRIO - 10/10

Amazing, they know how to work a live crowd. Incredible songs too. Played a couple of songs off Good Mourning (Pre-UK release if I remember correctly) and they are just great.

MURDERDOLLS - 7/10

w/ Saliva - 7.5/10

I went for Saliva. Was pretty good, Saliva weren't as good as I hoped they would be but Murderdolls were better than what I thought they were going to be. Saliva were still probably better though. Unlike OPM, these guys eat, KFC, they know their food.

GOLDFINGER - 8/10

Nothing much to say other than, good.

LESS THAN JAKE - 7/10

Good, not amazing though.

UPCOMING SHOWS

THE KILLERS - TODAY!!!

INCUBUS - WEEK TODAY!!!

CARLING WEEKEND : LEEDS

Can't wait. :D

There's possibly a couple more concerts, I just can't remember them off the top of my head. I have a ticket for a CKY concert in March (I believ) but my mate was ill, and I couldn't be assed to go by myself so I wasted my money there :(

Oh and one I forgot, Lost Prophets. Got there late. They weren't actually that bad. Played more older stuff than new. Not great though, 7/10.

Edited by YI

W00T, THE KILLERS TODAY!!! Can't wait. And by going what Xand says it's going to kick ass. Surefosa aren't to bad too, haven't heard of The Departure though, might try and check them out before going down to York.

I wasn't a fan of Surferosa until last night.

Can't wait. :D

There's possibly a couple more concerts, I just can't remember them off the top of my head. I have a ticket for a CKY concert in March (I believ) but my mate was ill, and I couldn't be assed to go by myself so I wasted my money there :(

You really missed yourself with the CKY concert. They were absolutely fantastic in the March tour.

I've had an hour and a half sleep since coming home, i'm pumped full of coffee, so here's what I thought of The Killers. I didn't catch the name of the first opener, so going by Xandmatt's post, I presume it was The Departure.

THE KILLERS - 9.5/10

w/ Surferosa - 8/10

w/ The Departure - 6.5/10

All good, The Departure were easily the weakest. And they struggled to really get the crowd going. Surferosa reacted with the audience the best, but The Killers were absolutely amazing. Great night. Now, Incubus next week.

Guest Sean O'Haire

Blink 182- I love the band album wise, but live they just don't cut it. I mean, sure they sound ok, but their voices just don't carry a whole lot, and for some reason they were off key the entire night. The only thing that salvaged this thing was Travis' ability on the drums. 6/10

No Doubt- They were just recently put on the tour to fill a slot, and damn did they. They had a kick ass set, and Gwen hit the notes fucking perfect. Not one song didn't sound great, and I loved it. 9/10

Blink 182- I love the band album wise, but live they just don't cut it.  I mean, sure they sound ok, but their voices just don't carry a whole lot, and for some reason they were off key the entire night.  The only thing that salvaged this thing was Travis' ability on the drums.  6/10

blink is terrible live.

Their whole show is one big penis joke, to cover for the fact that the music that they're playing sounds like absolute tripe.

Collys short Middlesbrough Music Live review

Bank holiday monday just gone.

Dogs Die in Hot Cars, average as usual, not bad but clearly just the new Easyworld, who were in turn the new 45's, who were pre-empted by all that was mid-90s britpop.

Goldie Lookin Chain. I found em quite funny but I was hammered by this stage, Half Man Half Machine sounded right good. The fact it was outdoor Middlesbrough town centre, 5 in the afternoon, swearing and preaching the virtues of draw made it hilarious.

Razorlight. The initial spark they seemed to have last time they played a small gig in Boro seems to have gone. I thought they were decidedly average, which isn't great considering Johnny Borrells ludicrous claims of being 'better than Dylan'.

Unfortunately missed the Ordinary Boys, but had seen them 2 months previously, superb. Skipped Electric 6 on grounds of them being shite. Good bank holiday monday all round, got mortalled while bands played around me, and its free!

Just got back from Download, here's my review of the first day

HIM - I've seen HIM once before, and it's pretty safe to say that they were alot better the first time. The rest of the band were good, but Valo's vocals were very poor. Unfortunately...3/10.

Slipknot - First time I've seen Slipknot and all I can say is...wow. They were out of this world and lively as shit up on stage. When they played Spit It Out, Corey got everyone to go down and "jump the fuck up" when he said. Definately 10/10

Korn - Seen them once before back in 2002 on the Untouchables tour. Although ther were better the first time, they still rocked hard enough to kick the shit out of everyone their. I got slightly pre occupied during their set, why I'll explain later. 8/10

Metallica - God fucking damn, they took way too long to come on stage. Although they were good, I just couldn't really get into them, which was a shame 'cause I've been into Metallica for so long. 7/10

The reason I got sidetracked during Korn...

I was sitting there talking to my brother when I noticed out of the corner of my eye...Corey Taylor :D I walk over to him, say hello, shake his hand and ask for a picture. I get my picture taken with him...but it turns out shitty. So, I walk over to him again and ask if we can get the pic again due the camera being a dick. He puts his arm around me and the picture gets taken again. Corey Taylor = Lovely guy

The latest one I've been to see was Muse Last November at Wembley. The whole gig was fucking amazing, from the LED screens to the flashing piano, amazing. 10/10.

As far as local gigs go I go basically every week, I dunno what it is, but its something about them thats fucking amazing.

Got back from second day of Download

Machine Head - Only ever heard one of their sogs, but thought they were pretty good. I've always liked Robb Flynn. Oh, and circle pits rule. 8/10

The Distillers - Eurgh. If I said they were dismal, it would be me being nice about it. They just stood there, played and Brody occasionally asked us how we were, or said "shut your fucking mouth". 1/10

Iggy Pop and The Stooges - The Distillers need to take fucking note. I honestly couldn't believe how good they were, and Iggy Pop was funny as hell. "Fuck you, you ugly, futureless asshole" "I came out here to play for all of you...and instult you" "You plastic turd" were some of the highlights. 10/10

Lostprophets - Seen them once before and though they were so-so, but the crowd were really into them and they seemed genuinally happy to be there. 8/10

Linkin Park - Seen them before too, and they have been good both times. Not really much to report, except everyone went apeshit for them. 8/10

GoGo Goes to Concerts! Maybe you should too! Vol. 2! Part 1! Because going over "10/10" is of the lame!

Welcome back! Now that the Jookster has updated his database, I will inform you of the first two shows I saw in a rapid-fire succession last week! Two shows! Four bands not counting the one I was in! Let's-a go!

Okay, so first off was Nova's East Timor fundraiser! There was poetry reading, my loving tribute to the Masked Debater (I shit you not), a fencing demonstration, harp playing, accordion playing, and then, the main attraction; three bands!

The first was the grand return of W.A.S.L. Except two of the members, Josh and Ky, never showed up. And they hadn't practiced in a year. And inexplicably I became the guitarist despite never properly playing electric guitar in my life. We were terrible, but hilariously terrible. Anyways, to the real bands!

First was the Red Scare. This is a new band featuring Rebecca, shining star of Jehosephat. She wasn't actually the vocalist for most of the songs, though, because they had a better singer around for that this time around. So what does she do? Don a blonde wig and pom-poms and become "Courtney", the cheerleader and spokeswoman of the band. She was in prime form, every one of her witty lines hitting its mark. "Here's another song we wrote ourselves with absolutely NO help from Olivia Newton John." (I'm pretty sure she used lines of that sort at the Jehosephat show, but still.) She also did a long rant about how since sex is exercise and people need to get in shape, everyone should just have more sex. Also, during one of the last songs, she was feelin' kinda lonely dancing alone so she invited anyone who wanted to dance to come up and help her out. This lead to a bunch of alternative school kids screwing around, and that's always good. Long story short, this band rocks and I hope they stick around past the Nova Benefit show this year. (7/10 for getting the formula right this time around.)

And then the headliner, the Left Hand of Fate. This was straight-up awesome rock & roll. They made the most of the Bathhouse theatre's lighting and just fucking rocked the house. Wes, the lead singer, is the epitome of manic energy, jumping on amps, thrashing around, and then at one point tearing his shirt off and RUNNING AROUND THE ENTIRE THEATRE BEFORE STARTING SINGING AGAIN. The bassist ruled too, as he was adorned in toilet paper that hung off him and looked really cool in the lighting. All things considered, these guys showed that just like Wes says at one point, you don't need a soul to have soul-l-l-l-l. (8/10 for being the best band I've ever seen without having any knowledge of what they sounded like before the concert started.)

To the Chop Suey, a venue I was going to for the first time! Very packed, and it would end up being one of the best shows I've ever been to, but only if you disregard the opening band. They were called Audio Learning Center. These guys were the worst band I've ever seen live. Worse than Cold, worse than the opening band at a show I went to at Coffee Messiah, absolutely terrible. Basically, take Death Cab for Cutie, get rid of everything good about them, and replace it with monotonous bass-driven songs that go on forever and then feature a quirk that is only good when GOOD bands do it; the "Okay, we're gonna stop... and THEN WE START AGAIN RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWK!" cliche. And the lead singer's facial expressions ranged from "orgasming" to "I just got punched in the gut." Terrible. They had like one listenable song, maybe. (1/10 for absolutely sucking. Would get 0/10 but they had one okay song and the lead singer was initially funny to watch.)

But I wasn't there to see those dumbshits. I was there to see motherfucking RASPUTINA. Basically, they're two celloists and a drummer and they're my favorite gothic group of all time if they are considered gothic (I always hear different things about what genre they properly are). They played almost every song that I'd been wanting to hear live (no Why Don't You Do Right or My Little Shirtwaist Fire, sadly, but High on Life, Transylvanian Concubine, and Rose K more than made up for it), and Melora Creager, the lead singer and celloist, was so great, making every song transition memorable (the lead-in for Transylvanian Concubine was a joke about Hitler going to the doctor's because he was ejaculating every time he gave an impassioned speech to the fatherland, I believe). One of the definite high points was people screaming out covers for them to do and Rasputina of all bands going into a brief rendition of Baby Got Back, or at least, the first twenty seconds or so of it. One of the best concerts I've ever been to, on par and perhaps superior to Weird Al last year. (10/10 for absolutely ruling from start to finish.)

Okay! Up next when my wrist isn't killing me; a local show at the Vera Project! Featuring crazy video screen goodness and my pick for who the next big Seattle band will be! Rock!