What Gigs have you been to recently?

Jook

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not going to Incubus in the end, sold my ticket to a mate (He's a die hard fan and I felt sorry that he couldn't go, i'm not that much of a INcubus fan, they're okay, not amazing). I didn't feel that sorry for him though as I put £5 on the ticket price :P

I've just got back from Download and overall I give it 9/10. I'll give each band a rating tomorrow when I'm not tired and smelly.

btw, Lars Ulrich had to pulll out due to illness so Metallica replaced him with Joey Jordison from Slipknot and it was f'ckin amazing, I will explain more tomorrow.

Just made arrangements with a mate. Getting Blink 182 tickets on Saturday (Once they go on sale). I don't think they're amazing, but it'd be a good laugh. (I think the concerts December 2nd, so it's a long time yet).

I saw Unearth, Burnt by the Sun and Abandoned Hearts Club last night in Toronto.

Abandoned Hearts Club - 7/10 - best time I've ever seen them live. I've never been impressed with their live show [i've seen 'em live about 10-12 times], and this was the first. They cut out the two songs in their set that I really like, but it was still very enjoyable. Good "techie"-style metalcore with keyboards.

Burnt by the Sun - 7/10 - pretty bad ass show, but their song selection sort of left me wondering what the hell they were thinking. They chose a few songs that really don't get the crowd moving at all, and are hard to get into live. They played a decent variety of stuff from their first full-length, and their new one, and an old hit, "You Will Move". A bit short, though.

Unearth - 8/10 - Pretty good show. Lots of fucking crazy crowd movement, and the sound was *way* better than the last time I saw them [where I left feeling completely disappointed]. Played about 10 songs, with a good mix of old/new, and a lot of crowd favourites. The order in which they played them was a bit weird, but nonetheless, an awesome performance.

Deep Purple on their Bananas Tour last November '03 in Nuremberg - 10/10.

What can I say. I've never been to a big rock concert before and these old men blew me away. I loved it! I was there with my father, who does not even like Purple. But he went anyway because he knew I would love it.

Ash last monday, Northumbria University.

Dont do star ratings because I'm crap at them. Support band The Crimea were downright awful, and on too long. The posters said Saves the Day were meant to be there, which may account for the big gap before and after said rubbish support band.

Ash on the other hand were superb. Playing a mix of the new album and the greatist hits, most of the new stuff seemed to fit in perfectly. Notable exception was Vampire Love, the new album closer, which doesn't do anything for me. Songs like Out of the Blue, Orpheus and Renegade Cavalcade sound awesome live though. Stand-out track for me was Clones, which I didn't really like at first, but delivers a right kick played live. All the old stuff sounded perfect as usual, and the only real omission was Oh Yeah. Kung Fu and A Life Less Ordinary very much showed that the old stuff is not aging whatsoever. And if Orpheus and Out of the Blue aren't on the new Gran Turismo I'll eat my hat.

Guest Locutus of Borg

Michelle Branch - Didn't get to catch all of this, but what I heard was pretty damn good. Just her and an acoustic guitar, doesn't get much better. She didn't play many of her popular tunes, which really upped the score. -- 8.5/10

Ingram Hill - Good show, but was cut short by being Michelle Branch's opening act. They played "Almost Perfect," which was a plus. Crowd wasn't real into the show, but then again, it's hard to get into it when you're 100+ feet from the stage. -- 8/10

Ray's Music Exchange - Other than having a name straight outta "Blues Brothers," these guys were one of the best bands I have seen in a while. Crazy jams lasting forever, these guys seemed to be full of energy. The audience really enjoyed them. -- 10/10

EDIT: Just saw all three tonight. Saw Blue Dogs and the Hot Buttered Rum String Band, but not enough to review. I'll have ones up just about every night until next Saturday. Gotta love music festivals. BTW, Midget, PM me or get online or something and lemme know if you're going to be down there any of the nights and we can meet up somewhere.

Edited by Locutus of Borg

Just got back from Taking Back Sunday at the Astoria.

TBS - 8/10

Recover - 6/10

The Hurt Process - 4/10

Forgot to rate some supports the first time round:

The Bronx - 7/10 (Big fan, they just sounded a bit off in a big venue like Brixton)

Avenged Sevenfold - 8/10

Hondo Maclean - 6/10

Further Seems Forever - 7/10

Dragonforce - 2/10

Thursday 10/10-- Excellent show, they were in town the same night as Godsmack and played a cover song to spoof them. It was funny hearing the lead try to sing like Sully. (ps I hate Godsmack)

Poision The Well 8/10-- Best... Pits... Ever.

Spittlefield 6/10-- Meh, they could have been better

Taking Back Sunday 7/10-- I liked the show, their melodies are amazing.

Saves The Day 4/10-- I like some of their songs but live IMO they suck in a big way.

Moonine 7/10- I really liked them. The Lead has the best dreads I've seen.

Coheed and Cambria 10/10-- :o Wow is the only word.

3 9/10-- 3 rules. Plain and simple.

• 4 weeks later...

The Killers: (W/ The Departure, and another cool band, with just a drummer and a bassist)

So me and my 2 friends arrive about an hour and a half before the doors open. We listened to the Departure's soundcheck for a bit, before taking a walk. As we got round the first corner, I saw Mark, the bassist, on his mobile phone outside a Thai restaurant. Me and my friends stayed where we were, about 15 feet away, waiting for him to finish his phonecall so we could say hi. We waited for about 15 minutes, but then he disappeared inside the restaurant. We went into the restaurant to get a drink, and saw that the whole band were sitting inside, so of course, we waited outside for them. Eventually they came out, and we got autographs and stuff, and had a talk with them. They were really cool, Ronnie and Brandon seemed the most sociable though. And Brandon said that we should've came and sat down with them in the restaurant while they were eating :( Too bloody late for that now :P

Anyway, the actual gig kicked arse. We were in the front row, just in the middle of Mark and Brandon, who both acknowledged us during the gig. :) B) The setlist was good, especially as it ended with my favourite track, 'All these things that I've done', and before that my favourite b-side, 'Under the Gun'.

The Departure were alright too, but the first support band, (Who I didn't get the name of) were great. An incredible amount of noise for just a drummer and a bassist.

I thought I might aswell update this now I have the chance...

Metallica: 9/10

My second time seeing them, something just did'nt feel right this time. Still they pulled out some really unexpected songs such as Holier Than Thou, No Leaf Clover and *finally* Whisky In The Jar. A great concert but not as good as before, IMO.

Slipknot: 8/10 (Backing up Metallica)

This coming from a strictly NON-Slipknot fan, they put on one hell of a show and that speaks volumes. Played a good set (even by they're standards) and were always entertaining on stage.

Lost Prophets: 3/10 (Backing up Metallica)

I actually did'nt think they were that bad. They played just like they do on the records so were pretty good live in that respect....but what they did play was pure shit. The crowd hated them and did nothing but throw stuff at them to which the singer was a surprisingly good sport about. Done well considering who they were backing up...still suck though.

G3 - Joe Satriani, Steve Vai and Robert Friip: 11/10

By far this was the greatest day ever known to man, the gig itself was astounding but none moreso than the fact that we met Steve-Fucking-Vai...And Joe Satriani for that matter. Due to my mate's guitar teacher knowing Vai's guitar tech Thomas Nordeg, he scored us some V.I.P passes and we basically hung around with the guys all day. Not only that but we were on the guest list and got pratically the best seats in the house, Center balcony beside the projectionist. And did I mention...It did'nt cost us a penny? Like I said, the whole day could'nt have gotten any better and the concert itself was amazing...

Guest bukkake bandit

Fall Out Boy - 6/10 - They were alright...

Dashboard Confessional - 8/10 - I don't care what anyone says, dammit. They're good live. Their shows have turned into pedophile heaven though, if you know what I mean.

Thrice - 3/10 (backing DC) - I don't like Thrice. At all.

Get Up Kids - 5/10 (backing DC) - They were okay. Not familiar with any of their songs.

Fall Out Boy - 6/10 - They were alright...

Dashboard Confessional - 8/10 - I don't care what anyone says, dammit. They're good live. Their shows have turned into pedophile heaven though, if you know what I mean.

Thrice - 3/10 (backing DC) - I don't like Thrice. At all.

Get Up Kids - 5/10 (backing DC) - They were okay. Not familiar with any of their songs.

Damn, I really wanted to see the tour with Thrice and The Get Up Kids, I will pissed when I missed it.

Thursday- 10/10. So much fucking fun, Jet Black New Year was crazy live.

Poison The Well- 7/10. Crazy pit, but they werent as good as Thursday. I got the guitar players autograph :).

Spitalfield- 6/10. I hate their album, but they were decent live.

Engine Down- 2/10. They were awful live, by the end of their set people were throwing stuff at them.

Sparta- 8/10. They werent awesome live, and it was really cold outside, but it 7was still tons of fun.

Poison The Well- 7/10.  Crazy pit, but they werent as good as Thursday.  I got the guitar players autograph :).

What the fuck?

Poison the Well shits out better sounding crap than Thursday. They weren't so great on the Thursday tour, though [i hear], and their set was short as fuck [i mean, SEVEN SONGS?!]

Recently, I've been to:

Blacklisted w/ A Day and a Deathwish, Cannonball, Clear a Path, Kill Decibel.

Blacklisted, Cannonball, and Clear a Path are good hardcore shit, and make me want to fuck shit up. The other two weren't very good.

Misery Signals w/ A Life Once Lost, A Perfect Murder, Rosesdead

Great, great show. A Life Once Lost was really good, A Perfect Murder was *really* good, Rosesdead were really good, and so were Misery Signals. I actually expected more from Misery Signals, but they were still very good.

Other shows I'm seeing [or possibly seeing] soon:

July 14 - Mental, Lights Out

July 17 - As I Lay Dying, Remembering Never, Shadows Fall

July 26/27 - Dillinger Escape Plan

July 28/29/30 - Between the Buried and Me, Glass Casket, Beloved

August 3 - Walls of Jericho

August 29 - Lamb of God, Atreyu, Every Time I Die, Unearth [bAD ASS!!!]

There's also a Terror show in there somewhere, but I don't know the date [and probably won't be going]. Cannibal Corpse and Black Dahlia Murder are in town tonight - but not for $25!!! Jesus, that's the price of my fucking left arm!

I love shows. But am poor [and I will be losing $400 next month on my CEDAR FUCKING POINT VACATION YEAH BABY!].

So yea.

Guest bukkake bandit

Damn, I really wanted to see the tour with Thrice and The Get Up Kids, I will pissed when I missed it.

Thursday- 10/10.  So much fucking fun, Jet Black New Year was crazy live.

Poison The Well- 7/10.  Crazy pit, but they werent as good as Thursday.  I got the guitar players autograph :).

I wanted to go to the Thursday/PTW show, but Thursday in NJ = sellout. Even if I wasn't looking forward to being around hXc dancing.

Here are mine...

Disturbed 8/10 - I'm a big Disturbed fan and I wasn't dissapointed when I saw them live. They're really good live and it was great to see them live, as they're probably my favorite band, ever. Disturbed was the headliner in the Music As A Weapon 2 Lineup.

Taproot 6/10 - Taproot's good, but the vocalist isn't the best live. He moves around a lot, so it's hard to hear the lyrics of the songs, but it's still good. Taproot was the 3rd band in the Music As A Weapon 2 Lineup.

Chevelle 8/10 - I had never really liked Chevelle prior to going to the concert, but I love Disturbed, and I had liked a couple of songs from Taproot and Unloco. When Chevelle came on, I figured I'd waste my time going to the bathroom (if i had to go), but I was really surprised that they're really good live. The performance made me fall in love with the band. Chevelle was the 2nd band in the Music As A Weapon 2 Lineup.

Unloco 7/10 - They were good for an opening band and really got the crowd moving towards the end for the rest of the bands. The song "Bruises" is absoloutely amazing live. They opened the MAAW 2 Lineup.

Godsmack 10/10 - Some may say Godsmack just copies off their idols, Alice in Chains, but I beg to differ. I love Godsmack, always have, always will, and nothing they do can change that, because they are really good. They are especially good live. They are a way better band live than they are in studio. And Sully is a sick drummer (having not known he played the drums before also put me in awe lol). They had the crowd moving the whole time, even out of the pit (where I was because of an injury to the lower extremities of my body, when somebody pulled :blink: ). If you are at all a Godsmack fan, you should try to see them live, as they kick ass.

Okay, now I haven't found anything on the band that opened the show AT ALL and it's bugging the shit out of me. The band is named Livid and I don't know if it was a local band, or a small-time band, or someone from Boston that the members of Godsmack know. All I know is that they were good in opening the show and they had the correct mix of alternative and metal, making them a pretty good Alt. Metal band.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out a way to go see the Projekt Revolutions Tour, because I want to see both Linkin Park and Korn very badly. Korn is one of my favorite bands of all time and seeing them would knock down the next band in my must-see list. The only problems are getting there and getting money. I'm sure I can get there somehow, but the money part eats me up. They're in Wisconsin twice, one day after each other and the Saturday show would be the one to go see as I have football practice on that Friday.

• 1 month later...

I saw Kanye West and Trapt in concert last Monday at West Virginia University's Fall Fest.

I'm not that big of a Trapt fan, but I do have to say they put on a pretty damn good show. I'll give their performance a 8.5/10.

Kanye West, on the other hand, tore the place up. I've decided that I want to have Kanye's manbabaies. 10/10.

Lets do a list of all time

Edgefest 2

Simple Plan - 5/10

Good Charlotte - 5/10

New Found Glory - 5.5/10

Sum 41 - 6/10

Jimmy Eat World - 7/10

blink-182 - 8/10

Pop Disaster TourSimple Plan - 4/10

Saves the Day - 6.5/10

Green Day - 10/10

Blink-182 - 9/10

GC/SP/APO

Autopilot Off - 6/10

Simple Plan - 5.5/10

Good Charlotte - 6/10

Sloan - 9.5/10

Warped Tour 2003

Less than Jake - 7.5/10

Pennywise - 8.5/10

Mad Caddies - 7.5/10

Face to Face - 9/10

Dropkick Murphys - 10/10

Rancid - 10/10

Warped Tour 2004

The Vandals - 7.5/10

Billy Talent - 9/10

Jersey - 9/10

Alexisonfire - 9.5/10

The (International) Noise Conspiracy - 10 / 10 [go see them, Dennis is the shit live]

Bad Religion - 9.5/10

Plus I get to see the Trews, Sum 41 [again] and Alexisonfire [again]. In September.

Plus I have been to literally dozens and dozens of local shows.

Edited by PunkRockPete