Dan

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Future Shock

32 MB?

I can't exactly listen to mp3's on that...:P

Besides that, I'm a sucker for accessories, so I might snag that...

But then again...DS...so many possibilities...

But PSP has Darkstalkers...

:(

ridger1.jpg

Publisher: Namco

Developer: Namco

Release Date: March 2005

Genre: Racing

Origin: Japan

Number Of Players: 1

PSP installment in Namco's long-running racing series. The launch title for the platform offers single race, world tour, multiplayer and options. Time attack lets you select a course and race against a ghost car in order to beat your times. Single race takes place against twelve other racers. World Tour is the main mode of focus for the single player Ridge Racers experience, and there seems to be a whole lot to it. Choose from a number of pre-set tours that take you through multiple race sessions set on different tracks. Ridge Racers has stunning visuals, something never seen before on a handheld console and a showcase for what a nice framerate can do for portable gamers. Overall Ridge Racers is one of the better, if not the best of the Japanese leaunch games and should be a big hit in the US and Europe, but GT4 and NFS will provide healthy competition.

Screens.

ridge-racers-20050105061328013.jpg

ridge-racers-20050114015734912.jpg

ridge-racers-20041210101938298.jpg

ridge-racers-20041210101938642.jpg

Anticipation Level - :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: 4/5

Edited by Dan

From Gamespot

About 4,800 Japanese PSPs have been returned to Sony due to problems with the handheld's square button, according to a recent interview with Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi in Nikkei Business magazine.

Kutaragi acknowledged that the button is less responsive than the others, in part because it's so close to the PSP's 480x272 screen. Because there isn't enough room to put the square button's detection switch directly underneath, it's off to the right, making it less responsive--and sometimes causing it to stick.

"The button's location is [architectured] on purpose," Kutaragi added. "It's according to specifications. This is something that we've created, and this is our specification. There was a clear purpose to it, and it wasn't a mistake."

Offering additional testimony praising the handheld, Kutaragi said, "I believe we made the most beautiful thing in the world. Nobody would criticize a renowned architect's blueprint that the position of a gate is wrong. It's the same as that."

£139 launch price is nothing....

Although I'm skint at the moment so couldn't afford an original Nintendo Gameboy...

But still, wasn't that like £90 on launch anyways?!

The PSP will be the best handheld console and will become the best supported games-wise compared to the Gameboy franchise which just has a million platform games based on whatever TV program is big with the kids at that time....

Guest Ringmaster

I'm pretty sure I can get one for $CAN 200-250 when it does come out, so I'll get it, but I'm almost certain it will stay in some dark corner of my room, and I'll never play with it. Still, it looks freakin' badass.

I've been on one of these, not properly, just a guy let us have a go. And to be honest, it is awesome. Storing MP3's, Video's and all in all a gig of space (Not sure iof they made a bigger memory card yet), but its gonna be much better than getting a new iPod or something because you can do nearly everything I want with it. If it had internet access (It might, havent been told yes/no) then It would be the ultimate console.

Cant wait for it to come out :D

It has wireless multiplayer if you're near anyone (under about 30 metres) which is proper lush...

Games I want for it when I get it include:

Metal Gear Acid

Ape Academy (50 mini-games including the 1 metre dash!)

Wipeout Pure

Tiger Woods

Grand Theft Portable (which is set in Liberty City according to PSW)

TOCA Race Driver 2

PSW magazine did a big test on the IMPORTANT things this issue....

Test #1: The Battery

Rumour: Battery life will be between 2 to 3 hours so will suck...

Result: Lasted 5 hours, 17 minutes, 7 seconds

Test #2: Comfort

Rumour: A bit too cramped?

Result: Sure it's cramped, it's handheld. It works well but you'll need thumb breaks.

Test #3: Portability

Rumour: Big screen...It'll be bulky...

Result: Slip it in a pocket of a pair of tight jeans and you'll be able to run at pretty much the same speed as before!

Test #4: Loading Times

Rumour: Three minutes per track? Four minutes per level?!

Result: In an hour playing of Ridge Racer (rumoured 3 minutes loading each track), 2 minutes, 54 seconds were spent loading. That's less than PS2...

Test #5: Wi-Fi (Wireless Multi)

Rumour: How far does this wireless multiplayer stretch?!

Result: Up to 15 people can play (depending on game) at up to 27.3 metres.

Therefore this is the greatest creation ever.

Guest Future Shock

North American PSP Launch Details Revealed.

The launch date and pricing for Sony's upcoming Playstation Portable have finally been revealed. The system will begin selling in North America on March 24, and will retail for $249, which is more than the $199 price point many were expecting.

Unlike Japan there will only be the one package available for purchase, so no variety that way. The system will come with memory stick, remote controlled headphones, a non interactive demo disc and a soft case, along with an AC power adapter. The first million units will also ship with a free copy of Spider-man 2 on the PSP's UMD disc format.

Here are the expected Launch Window Games:

-- Ape Escape®: On the Loose, Sony Computer Entertainment America

-- ATV Offroad Fury®: Blazin' Trails, SCEA

-- Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower, Capcom

-- Dynasty Warriors®, KOEI

-- FIFA 2005, Electronic Arts

-- Gretzky NHL®, Sony Computer Entertainment America

-- Lumines, Ubisoft

-- Metal Gear Acid, Konami

-- MLB, Sony Computer Entertainment America

-- MVP Baseball, Electronic Arts

-- NBA, Sony Computer Entertainment America

-- NBA Street Showdown, Electronic Arts

-- Need for Speed Rivals, Electronic Arts

-- NFL Street 2 Unleashed, Electronic Arts

-- Rengoku: Tower of Purgatory, Konami

-- Ridge Racer, Namco

-- Smartbomb, Eidos Interactive

-- Spider-Man 2, Activision

-- Tiger Woods PGA TOUR®, Electronic Arts

-- Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix, Activision

-- Twisted Metal: Head On, Sony Computer Entertainment America

-- Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade, Sony Online Entertainment

-- Wipeout® Pure, Sony Computer Entertainment America

-- World Tour Soccer, Sony Computer Entertainment America

Source: GamesIndustry.biz, Evil Avatar

Guest Ringmaster

The games are expected to cost something along the lines of $US 40, which is a tad expensive for handheld games. I'm just c urious as to how much movies will cost, or whether or not I'd be able to buy games in Europe and play them on it and vice versa.