The Day After Tomorrow.

K

WEAK-ASS SPOILERS

Oh, I'd like to point out something I talked about with my friends after our screening...

The Vice President in the flick is a Dick Cheney look-a-like.....The President makes a stupid move, gets killed, and Cheney takes over and cleans up the mess. That's like some sort of reference to this previous 4 years in America without realizing it.....or was it intentional?

MINOR SPOILERS YO

One thing (among the countless others that made me giggle, once again to many to list) was when Dennis Quaid's character is explaining to the UN how we need a new power source and we need to stop burning fossil fuels you see the representatives from Iran and Saudi Arabia shaking their heads yes and smiling. Huh?

Oh, and the second the guy fell through the glass I predicted he would cut himself loose. Everyone was looking at me an my friend as we laughed hysterically when he plummeted to his death.

And to Numbahs...

...the American vice president (Kenneth Welsh), who the movie doesn't even try to pretend doesn't look just like Dick Cheney.

^^^^^^^^^

Roger Ebert

Edited by cthemason

Oh, and the second the guy fell through the glass I predicted he would cut himself loose. Everyone was looking at me an my friend as we laughed hysterically when he plummeted to his death.

Do I know you outside the board? :blink:

I had the same exact experience yesterday.

To be fair, it was brutally obvious he was gonna cut himself loose. Standard formula in modern big disaster movies is someone sacrifices themself. However, its usually for a good reason (crazy old pilot in Independence Day, big Brucie in Armageddon, the astronauts in Deep Impact) not just as part of a random walk from Philly to New York.

I loved this movie!! It was incredibly. It wasn't too gaudy, and yet it was gripping. The acting was top notch. Kind of a toned-down Final Destination. Of course, I'm going to get flamed for this.

Jake Gyllenhaal stole the show, and I predict he shall be nominated for an Oscar. If not, I shall fuck a donkey. You can hold me to that.

I loved this movie!! It was incredibly.  It wasn't too gaudy, and yet it was gripping.  The acting was top notch.  Kind of a toned-down Final Destination.  Of course, I'm going to get flamed for this.

Jake Gyllenhaal stole the show, and I predict he shall be nominated for an Oscar.  If not, I shall fuck a donkey.  You can hold me to that.

60_donkey.jpg

Have Fun!

Guest UmpireAJS

First of all,these kind of movies seldom gets Oscar Nominations for the top awards [They get nominations for Cinematography/Special Effects/Sound stuff though].

The Movie was cool but kinda exaggerated [unrealistic] and it's a bit overrated, it can win some Special Effects Oscar but nothing more.

I thought this movie was pretty good.

MINOR SPOILER

The only thing that pissed me off was when the tornadoes hit LA. I'm from Kansas so I know all about tornadoes and if you're going to stand outside and take pictures or give a news report from just in front of it then you deserve to die. The people from LA in this movie had no common sense whatsoever. Other than that, I think it was a decent movie.

Guest Hit Man 3120

I loved it. Yeah the story is unrealistic, but so what. Oscar is not calling, but Jake Glyenhall (I bet they could switch him in for Tobey Maguire in Spiderman and no one would notice and it would make better it better) and that hot chick both did great jobs.

I thought this movie was pretty good.

MINOR SPOILER

The only thing that pissed me off was when the tornadoes hit LA. I'm from Kansas so I know all about tornadoes and if you're going to stand outside and take pictures or give a news report from just in front of it then you deserve to die. The people from LA in this movie had no common sense whatsoever. Other than that, I think it was a decent movie.

But they've never seen tornadoes man! How are they supposed to know how to act?!?! :P