What was your last CD purchase?

Dr. Rated-R

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Futureheads - The Futureheads for £6

Pick it up on the cheap. I love Hounds of Love and that other one where the lead singer does that weird jig with his legs on the video. Haven't listened to it yet though.

Mudvayne - Lost and Found. Not a patch on any of their other LPs, I like 'Choices', 'Determined', 'Happy?' and 'Pushing Through', but everything else just jars with me.

The Game - Documentary. Better than I was expecting, he's actually entertaining and intelligent, where I was expecting a 50 Cent clone. He name drops a bit too much, but with production from Dre, Kanye and Just Blaze it's a pretty impressive debut.

Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine: Lately, I've been getting into their stuff - so while at town today, I decided to pick it up for £17, which is pretty expensive in my opinion. Anyway, I've listened to "Head Like a Hole" and "Terrible Lie and I love them. I've listened to a few other tracks too, but I'm not sure about them yet; it'll probably take me a few listens to get into.

Earth Crisis - Firestorm - It's just an EP, but it's hardcore. I need more EC stuff now

Yes you do. "Firestorm" in its self is an awesome song. A FIRESTORM TO CLAAAAAAAAAAAAARIFFFFFFFFFYYYYY

NWA - Straight Outta Compton

Eazy-E - Eazy Duz It

:o Awesome, SOC is a good album and "Eazy Duz It" is too. I especially like the title track :thumbs: "I'm Eazy and I got bitches galore.. You may have bitches, but I got much more" ....

Anyway...umm...

The Game's The Documentary

Xzibit's Weapons of Mass Destruction

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps these aren't classified as purchases, but I felt like reviewing them so there...

B00008WT5J.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

AC/DC - Who Made Who - 6/10

Who Made Who is AC/DC's merely meh effort of the bunch. Sure, this album features five of the better AC/DC tracks in Who Made Who, You Shook Me, For Those About To Rock, Hells Bells, and D.T., but at the same time the other four are very forgettable. Not to mention, Hells Bells and You Shook Me are also on Back In Black, AC/DC's much better opus. It still isn't bad, just not very original.

B000002NAA.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Van Halen - Best of Vol. 1 - 6/10

DLR Halen is very awesome, but the Hagar stuff is repetitive and weak. That's all, really.

"No! No! No" screamed a frustrated Bobby "The Brain" Heenan as "Mean" Gene Okerlund stood in the center of the ring and welcomed the new WCW World Heavyweight Champion -- "The Immortal" Hulk Hogan amidst a very loud ovation from the fans in the arena. "American Made" played him to the ring, flanked by the ever present "Mouth Of The South" Jimmy Hart who proudly held the "Big Gold" over his shoulder even though it probably outweighed him by about twenty pounds. Okerlund pretty much turned the mic over to Hogan from the beginning and allowed him to thank those who had a part in his victory, the Turner executives who brought him to the dance, and of course the fans who have always believed in Hulkamania. Never one to allow a party to happen without him, the former World Champion Ric Flair makes his way to the ring. "Calm down there big boy" chuckled Flair, "I didn't come for a fight." Instead, to the surprise of everyone and the total exasperation of Heenan on commentary, Flair extended his hand to Hogan offering his own form of congratulations by telling Hogan he's always lived by the code of "To be the best, you have to beat the best", which is exactly what Hogan did at Bash At The Beach. Flair admitted that the two men may not see eye to eye, but on that night, Flair could admit that Hogan was the better man.

Before the show of respect could go any further, more music hit to spoil the mood as the new WCW Tag Team Champions, Paul Orndorff and Paul Roma made their way to the ring, scoffing at what they'd just heard. Neither man could believe their ears, and wanted clarification that they had indeed heard the great Nature Boy admit that someone else was the better man. Both members of Pretty Wonderful claim they could have told Flair a long time ago that there were better men than Flair, and men even better than Hogan because two of them stood across from them in the ring on that very night. This sent Flair into a tirade, claiming that Paul Orndorff had his chance years ago to wipe out Hulkamania and yet, here he stood while claiming that Roma had never been good enough to even carry the bags for The Horsemen, declaring him the worst Horseman in the history of the group. 

To Live In Discontent - Strike Anywhere : 7/10

Lots ofthe old EP stuff and covers on this CD. Absolutely fucking awesome. It's amazing how much they've evolved from this to the band who recorded Exit English. The grindy and gritty sound is there throughout, I love it. However nothing really stands out all that much, and I actually find myself preffering Exit English over this (Because New Architects is the shit). My favourite song is Antidote, however i've heard that before.

Paradise - Paint It Black : 7.5/10

I loved CVA, however the songs were short and finished before they really got going. Some songs on here suffer the same fate however it is an all-round better album. This is hardcore at some of its best. Yemin is fucking awesome. He's funny too. Simply it's great music however it wont be to everybody's tastes. At the minute i'm really digging The New Brutality.

You Can't Fight What You Can't See - Girls Against Boys : 6/10

Lets get 1 thing straight. For me 6/10 is still a good result. It's above average meaning it's good. I first heard these guys on Amped 2 with the song All The Rage (Which is on this album) and have waited for ages to buy something by them (THis was released back in 2002). This band is something really different. It can be hard, soft, rock, punk or pop. All of this is just moulded into one big ball of cool. If I had to genrelise this I would just call it cool. It's the kind of stuff you'd listen on a sunny day whilst skateboarding, snowboarding or surfing. There's not that much to it musically but it's a solid album.

Alkaline Trio/Hot Water Music Split : 8/10

I'm in awe. I've been meaning to get this for a while as I had heard good things. I'll go through the Alkaline Trio songs first. Queen of Pain is fucking awesome, the riff is dark, and the song is ridden with the dark humour that makes Alkaline Trio, Alkaline Trio. I don't much care for While You're Waiting, it builds up throughout but never actually reaches anyway, it's like sex for a woman (:shifty:). Now for the cover of HWM's Rooftops. I never much cared for this song, however the Alkaline Trio version is amazing. HWM pull off an amazing cover of Trio's Radio. And make an already great song even better. It just works so well for HWM. However their cover of Bleeder falls flat on its face IMO, it only works with the Alkaline Trio sound. The two sogns HWM pull out are solid, not their best work but are good listens. I prefer Russian Roulette over God Deciding. As for favourite songs i'm stuck between Radio (HWM) and Queen of Pain (Trio). I'd heard While You're Waiting and Queen of Pain before this.

Ringing In The Dawn - Trial By Fire : 6/10

The third release from 2002 I bought in this bulk. To be be honest I had heard nothing about this band before I ordered other than if you like Strike Anywhere you'll like these. I listened to this album first as it was the one I had the least expectations from. It's good a really solid album. Other than the fact it sounds pretty much identical to Strike Anywhere, only not as good. The lyrics are similar, the subject matters are similar. The grind and grit of Strike Anywhere is here. The only problem is, it's not Strike Anywhere. They have potential however it's important for them to find their own identity as their next album could go the same way as this (Their debut album) and just got looked over in the crowd.