FOX in Summer '05 = Family Guy

tristy

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't there a contraversy over that show being racist? I thought that had something to do with it being cancelled.

There was a story floating around that Mr. Rupert Murdoch didn't quite appreciate what was ultimately the show's final episode, "When You Wish Upon A Weinstein", due to the HUGE amount of jokes concerning the Jewish culture.

Seth later said something to the effect that he even went so far as the show the episode to rabbis, who all found it to be quite funny.

"When I first joined the network my first order of business was ordering more episodes of 'Family Guy,'" says FOX Entertainment President Gail Berman. "I believe this show was way ahead of its time. It's now a huge DVD hit and we believe that 'Family Guy' has a ready-made fan base eager for its return."

What a bunch of bullshit. FOX saw they could make money off Family Guy, and brought it back. There are plenty of great television shows that have been cancelled because they haven't found an audience (Grosse Pointe!), and it has nothing about them being made way ahead of it's time.

If FOX (or any other tv network) could find a way of screening a test pattern with ads every 8 minutes and have it rate, i'd imagine we would be seeing it in prime time.

What a bunch of bullshit. FOX saw they could make money off Family Guy, and brought it back. There are plenty of great television shows that have been cancelled because they haven't found an audience (Grosse Pointe!), and it has nothing about them being made way ahead of it's time.

If FOX (or any other tv network) could find a way of screening a test pattern with ads every 8 minutes and have it rate, i'd imagine we would be seeing it in prime time.

What the hell are you complaining about? So Gail Berman, the President of FOX Entertainment, isn't allowed to make decisions based on what will make her company the most money? Now, for one, she seems to have more of an interest in her programming than any of the network executives, taking vested interests in 24, The OC, Arrested Development and Family Guy. She was a big part of Family Guy's success in the first run, and once she became President of the network (last summer, well after Family Guy was cancelled) she ordered both a new series from Seth McFarlane and new episodes of the show. People should be thanking her, not just for her commitment to her network's programming, but because she was involved in developing most of the network's really good shows (24, Family Guy).

What the hell are you complaining about? So Gail Berman, the President of FOX Entertainment, isn't allowed to make decisions based on what will make her company the most money? Now, for one, she seems to have more of an interest in her programming than any of the network executives, taking vested interests in 24, The OC, Arrested Development and Family Guy. She was a big part of Family Guy's success in the first run, and once she became President of the network (last summer, well after Family Guy was cancelled) she ordered both a new series from Seth McFarlane and new episodes of the show. People should be thanking her, not just for her commitment to her network's programming, but because she was involved in developing most of the network's really good shows (24, Family Guy).

Yes, she would be the perfect embodiment of a CEO if she'd stopped making those stupid reality shows.

Yes, she would be the perfect embodiment of a CEO if she'd stopped making those stupid reality shows.

Name one network that isn't guilty of jumping on the reality bandwagon too much. FOX, on the other hand, also has the most successful reality show on television.

Actually, when you think of it, all of QVC is reality TV.

Well, what about BET? I don't think they've made a reality show. (unless, of course, you count the talent competitions and 106 & Park as reality shows)

Well, what about BET? I don't think they've made a reality show. (unless, of course, you count the talent competitions and 106 & Park as reality shows)

They're not a network. They're a cable channel. Come to think of it so is QVC.

They're not a network. They're a cable channel. Come to think of it so is QVC.

You've got a good point but you may have missed mine. For every American Idol and The Swan that comes along, 40 other crappier ones come. The only other networks with crappy reality shows is NBC and The WB (For Love or Money, Average Joe, Race To The Altar, etc.). The only one I like is Fear Factor, of course. ABC has done some crap too but they've stopped it. CBS has steered clear except for that crappy Cupid show and at least their reality shows have been good (Survivor, Big Brother, The Amazing Race). How about we just ban new reality shows from happening ever again?

You've got a good point but you may have missed mine. For every American Idol and The Swan that comes along, 40 other crappier ones come. The only other networks with crappy reality shows is NBC and The WB (For Love or Money, Average Joe, Race To The Altar, etc.). The only one I like is Fear Factor, of course. ABC has done some crap too but they've stopped it. CBS has steered clear except for that crappy Cupid show and at least their reality shows have been good (Survivor, Big Brother, The Amazing Race). How about we just ban new reality shows from happening ever again?

Because the networks' roles are to make money and they can do that by doing Reality TV (which people are eating up en masse). I'll be honest, I despise all reality TV not called The Osbournes or Survivor, but I'm not going to slight the networks for giving the majority what they want. They'd be insane not to.

Because the networks' roles are to make money and they can do that by doing Reality TV (which people are eating up en masse). I'll be honest, I despise all reality TV not called The Osbournes or Survivor, but I'm not going to slight the networks for giving the majority what they want. They'd be insane not to.

Ahh, you're right. I wish they would stop, though.

What the hell are you complaining about? So Gail Berman, the President of FOX Entertainment, isn't allowed to make decisions based on what will make her company the most money?

No, I was complaing about her choice of words. If you read my post you would of saw that.

No, I was complaing about her choice of words. If you read my post you would of saw that.

1) You're in no position to make a judgement on her character.

2) She does make mention to the show having a huge fanbase, acknowledging the business end of things.

3) Family Guy quite clearly was ahead of its time. It came around at a time in which conventional comedies and cop dramas ruled. Now, in 2004, off beat comedies are finding success, and it's the perfect time for the show to make its return. If something like that is so clear that I can see it myself, it's not unreasonable that the president of the FOX network would see that.

1) You're in no position to make a judgement on her character.

In your opinion, that is.

2) She does make mention to the show having a huge fanbase, acknowledging the business end of things.

A fanbase that only seemed to be around for the dvds.

3) Family Guy quite clearly was ahead of its time. It came around at a time in which conventional comedies and cop dramas ruled. Now, in 2004, off beat comedies are finding success, and it's the perfect time for the show to make its return. If something like that is so clear that I can see it myself, it's not unreasonable that the president of the FOX network would see that.

That's funny, I seem to remember it being part of the animation boom in 1999 where all the networks were trying to cash in on animation along with Dilbert, Futurama, Baby Blues and Clerks: The Animated Series. Fox made money off Family Guy's release on dvd and I don't blame them for that, but I find it funny to say the show was ahead of it's time when all it did was pick references at pop culture of the day (and South Park does a better version of that, anyway).

That's funny, I seem to remember it being part of the animation boom in 1999 where all the networks were trying to cash in on animation along with Dilbert, Futurama, Baby Blues and Clerks: The Animated Series. Fox made money off Family Guy's release on dvd and I don't blame them for that, but I find it funny to say the show was ahead of it's time when all it did was pick references at pop culture of the day (and South Park does a better version of that, anyway).

Newsflash, NONE OF THOSE SHOWS ARE STILL ON TV! Some "craze" that was. The shows (like I said) that were actually having success were traditional sitcoms and cop dramas. All of those shows faded within a few seasons, and I'd like to point out that FOX stuck by Futurama and Family Guy longer than any of the other networks stuck by the other shows you mentioned. Judging by the fact that Comedy Central REPEATS of Family Guy are pulling in record ratings, it simply was ahead of its time.

Like I said, the reruns have also done huge numbers. Read the whole story.