Will Nintendo ever go online?

oldskool

The latest EGM (The Godfather on the cover) had a one-page article with next-gen console "updates" on it.

Nintendo's....well, didn't look so great.

For online capability, they stuck with Iwata's "Consumers do not want online gaming" statement of months ago.

Do you think Nintendo will ever get online?

Will their lack of online capability be the same for Nintendo as the lack of pushed talent was for WCW?

Or will Iwata's statement hold true? Can great Mario, Zelda and Metroid games carry Nintendo past the internet-capable PS3 and Xbox2?

Nintendo's....well, didn't look so great.

For online capability, they stuck with Iwata's "Consumers do not want online gaming" statement of months ago.

Uh---huh....

Someone get that man an account on Battle.net, quick.

Internet gaming is the future

Not necessarily so, I don't think it's that important to be honest. With games like Timesplitters, Halo or Gran Turismo I can understand the interest, but it's not as if people are just going to stop caring about Zelda, Metal Gear Solid, Mario, GTA etc because they aren't online capable. On top of that, Resi Evil went online, and was shite. Smackdown went online and only had only one boring match type. I personally prefer being able to mock someone to their face than over the internet miles away :P

• Like 1

Nintendo doesn't view online gaming as profitable. Until they do, you won't see them online in any significant way. Whether they're wrong or right, that's the answer to the question. I would think that yes, eventually they will get online, but I'm not seeing it in the near future. Although I'm wracking my brain trying to remember something, because I'm thinking that I DID read something that gave a little more hope into the "Nintendo online" question. Can't remember where I read that though.

Oh, and Dan, I hope (and think) you're wrong about that. :P

I'm inclined to believe Dan, as generic as his name may be.

In a comparison of a multi-platform game, from what I've encountered, Nintendo's game gets rated about 1 point lower than the PS2 or Xbox game.

This is a problem.

If you're not investing ANY time or research into online gaming, as Iwata's statement would attest, there is NO excuse in my mind to have worse graphics, smaller memory in games, etc.

If they spent the time on making their system have better graphics, and having larger storage capacity for their games, they would be perfectly fine without online capabilities.

But when you look at an Xbox, with better graphics, bigger games, a hard drive for save games AND custom music tracks...without even mentioning online capabilities, Gamecube looks horrible in comparison.

Mario, Zelda and Metroid can only carry you so far before people realize that for any other game, the Sony or Microsoft console is a MUCH better alternative.

Wait, I'm confused. Are you discussing whether or not Nintendo should go online, or why the GameCube is inferior to everything else?

Zelda and Mario are some of the most popular games on the market, and have been around in some form with that popularity for decades. Mario is a household name over the world, and still brings fond memories to older gamers, so to say they can only go so far is pretty much making stuff up. I see no reason as to why the market will suddenly dry up just because XBox and Playstation have online games. They're tailored to completely different audiences, and you have to admit that the majority of online gaming focuses on shooters or beat-em-ups. Neither Zelda or Mario fit in this genre, so why are they relevant to Nintendo failing to go online?

Nintendo's lack of online capability might be a valid reason why it's falling behind, but you're talking as if it's completely out of the running which simply isn't true. But then my whole argument might be invalidated by not having experience with XBox, so I'll leave it at that :P

I believe Nintendo is dead set on proving that legendary games can be made without an online mode. They've just yet to hit the kind of home run similar to GTA.

For all intents and purposes, the XBox is basically responsible for bringing the online experience to such a huge audience. For those that disagree, name me three console games that aren't featured on the XBox and regarded as the best online games out there. While you may be able to, it's a much tougher list to compile with games such as Halo, Madden, Dead or Alive: Ultimate, and others missing.

What Nintendo is attempting to do is go in the opposite direction, and they have shown that it is still possible to make a must-have game that doesn't feature any online modes whatsoever (Resident Evil 4 being that game, of course). So long as they feel that they are able to make such impressive games as RE4, they'll stay away from the online scene.

However, there is a reason you see a Broadband Adapter for the Nintendo Gamecube floating about out there. People have made the demand to go online with games like Mario Kart, and eventually, Nintedo will cave -- mainly because if they refuse, they will die as a company. It's just a matter of how long their pride can hold out.

Without going online, Nintendo just continues to paint themselves with the "kids toy" brush. I love the GC, it certainly has plenty of high quality games, but Nintendo are fucking themselves here. If Nintendo keeps being stubborn like this, they're gonna go the way of Sega.

....Bitch, you did NOT just say DOAU is a good game!

*slap*

Find me a better online fighting game. :ph34r:

Mortal Kombat Deception

I'm sorry, 0, but even as an admitted MK fanboy, I've got to say that it's currently the second-best online fighter and the third best overall (behind DOA and Soul Calibur, respectively). Until they manage to make the fighting more fluid, MK will remain just that hair behind DOA and SC.

Nintendo can last more generations because of 1 thing, Game Boy

There profits from Game Boy(And now to a less extent, DS) can profit a major system for as longas they want.

I do see Nintendo getting online eventually but not anytime in the near future which is a shame, games like Metroid Prime & Mario Party would be killer online

Nintendo can last more generations because of 1 thing, Game Boy

There profits from Game Boy(And now to a less extent, DS) can profit a major system for as longas they want.

Until the PSP hits the shelves which is looking like it's going to revolutionize the handheld market. Nintendo HAS to be nervous. Don't get me wrong, I ain't trying to start a console war here, but as wonderful of a system that the Cube is, Nintendo is fucking up left and right. Sure, it's leagues better than the N64 because we're getting a quality title every other month as opposed to one or two a year like with that console; but now they've got competition from Sony and Microsoft. While online gaming isn't this revolutionary thing like EGM wants you to think, it's just another example of Nintendo's refusal to grow with the industry. They don't do anything to fight the kiddie stigma, sure RE and Eternal Darkness help, but again, they're not really arguing that their the system for kids. Nintendo does great things for the gaming industry: four controller ports (which Sony better fucking get right this time), wireless controllers (the Wavebird owns your soul), defining the 2D platformer, defining the 3D platformer, all this on top of countless other things. But for the most part, they're not growing with the standards Sony and Microsoft are setting. You know, I can play Metroid, Zelda, and Mario till the day I die, but it's essentially the same game every time. Metroid: Hunt aliens. Zelda: Save Zelda. Mario: Save Peach. Nowadays, the big games have scripts longer than Hollywood movies and it seems that's what the consumer is looking for. Sony made gaming mainstream and Nintendo seems like they want to keep it as a niche market. And as long as they remain in that mindset, they'll always be trailing behind Sony and Microsoft.

Something everyone seems to be missing here: The question about whether Nintendo will go out of business is precipitated by one thing: Are they still making money? The answer right now is yes. Until they STOP making money, they'll be in business.

And as far as the Cube having worse graphics and games than PS2 or X-Box...Take a good hard look at a PS2 game up against the same game on GC and tell me which one looks better. 99% of the time it won't have the word Playstation anywhere in it. Now, that's not meant as a shot against the PS2, as I still don't think the PS2 has ever been used to its full potential. Just stating that it's not like Nintendo is just putting out crap systems or crap games. Nintendo does have, has had, and always WILL have, a different view on the industry from everyone else. The "Nintendo is kiddy" argument has been played out so many times that quite frankly, I don't want to even get it started again. Suffice it to say that the Madden, Eternal Darkness, DOR, And Metroid games sitting in my game stack provide me with some more "adult" entertainment, while I still have Mario, Zelda, and Animal Crossing for my more "childish" desires.

And as far as the argument about Metroid, Zelda, Mario, etc. being essentially the same game...Name me the basic fundamental difference between GTA3, GTA: Vice City, and GTA: SA. What about basic fundamental differences between Halo and Halo 2? Or even, hell, to use a multi-platform series, what about Castlevania? In just about every one of those games you're trying to kill Dracula.

My point? Almost EVERY game is essentially the same. The great thing about the truly great games (like those mentioned above) is how they find ways to revolutionize the genre within the parameters already set forth by previous games. In the end, playing a game should be about having FUN. NOT about which game has the most complex "Script" or the most "hardcore action". And that's why Nintendo is still around: They make great, FUN games. And that's why I think it will remain a force in the game industry. Maybe not number 1, maybe not even number 2. But still there.

Sorry, that got kind of long winded. And despite all appearances to the contrary, I wasn't trying to start a console war either. At least, not in THIS post. :shifty: To keep this (somewhat) on topic, I DO feel that eventually Nintendo will get behind online gaming. And that when they do, they'll find some new twist that'll make 50% of the worlds gamers go "What the HELL?" and the other 50% go "Man, that's the coolest thing EVER!" Typical Nintendo. :thumbsup:

Edited by bigsheep305