Emulation

Dr. Rated-R

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that if you don't profit off of it, then ROMS should be legal.

I don't download ROMS to make money. I do it because of the nostalgia brought upon by it, and also because in the case of Nintendo ROMs, some you can't find anymore, and it's easier just to play it on a computer than spend hours blowing the dust off the cartridge...

I say let them be until they start selling it.

Besides, I have everything I want, which is mainly NES stuff. Everytime I look for a ROM, they demand that I click through the 50 "Vote NOW" windows which are just ads for Hentai..... <_<

I miss '98 when it was more relaxed.....

It's strange to hear all the debate.

I for one don't get all this letter writing from ISP stuff cause I live in Australia. (Our new national anthem: Australians all let us rejoyce for we can download free :shifty: )

That said I don't have any ROM's on my computer

For me the whole ROM debate is the same as the Abandonware debate. Should you be able to download games just cause they don't make them anymore? I think so but others may think not

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

You've completely gotten the wrong idea and yes its stupid. If you have a spark of intelligence you'd understand he's talking about emulation in the 'downloading an emulator and playing a rom' sense, not in the 'Sonic 2 being remastered for the PS2' sense.

Guest Future Shock

I don't have the wrong idea. I know exactly what he's talking about. I was stating that I doubt emulation itself s illegal since they almost always use it to play older games on newier consoles. And no, they don't remaster it. They use emulation software to port it to the console, thus meaning that the practice of it probably is legal, if you own the property.

I don't have the wrong idea.  I know exactly what he's talking about.  I was stating that I doubt emulation itself s illegal since they almost always use it to play older games on newier consoles.  And no, they don't remaster it.  They use emulation software to port it to the console, thus meaning that the practice of it probably is legal, if you own the property.

It can be illegal, but since the collection are releaesed BY the people that made the games and they're paying in some form or another to do it, then it would be allowed.

So what you're saying is that if one of us finds a way to take a game from SNES and translate it ourselves onto a PS2 disc, then it would be legal?

Guest Future Shock

So what you're saying is that if one of us finds a way to take a game from SNES and translate it ourselves onto a PS2 disc, then it would be legal?

Edited by Future Shock

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

Since you legally have to buy the games to play on bleem I'd expect they can't do anything about it, they probably aren't happy, but its probably a legal loop hole.

FS, you are still talking about the wrong type of emulation, no matter what your defence is, thats not what the topic is suppose to be about.

Bleem got shut down a while ago.

That's what made me wonder about the legalities cause i'd never heard of a PS2 edition of Bleem which you'd figure they'd make if they could.

Ah, did a little googling on the subject. Seems Bleem won most of it's legal battles against Sony but the legal costs left them without money to carry on.

Edited by King Ellis