Pete finally quits The Libertines

supergrass

LIBERTINES star PETE DOHERTY has quit the band, I can exclusively reveal.

He dropped the bombshell after I tracked the missing star down to his London hideout.

In a frank and emotional interview, Pete - who is clearly still addicted to hard drugs after quitting The Priory last weekend - told how he was turning his back on The Libertines.

In tears, he said: "I’m heading to Paris to escape with my girlfriend Irene.

"She’s the one person who understands me. She will help me give up the crack pipe.

"I couldn’t do that in The Priory. I was barely aware of what was going on in there.

"All these visitors were coming in to see me and saying they were my family and my sisters - but really they weren’t.

"I want to clean up but it’s something I have to do on my own terms."

Pete, who had all his worldly possessions packed up ready to leave when I spoke to him, had been in hiding for most of the past week.

Not even family or friends knew his whereabouts.

Even though he was dressed immaculately in a suit, fedora, cravat and polished brown brogues, the talented guitarist/songwriter still cut a lonely figure.

He told how he felt neglected by his bandmates - CARL BARAT, JOHN HASSALL and GARY POWELL - and manager ALAN McGEE.

He was particularly disappointed in best friend Carl, with whom he shares a complicated love/hate relationship.

Pete burgled his pal’s home last year to help fund his drug habit, serving three weeks in prison.

He told me: "It’s got to the point where Carl and I don’t speak except on stage.

"It breaks my heart. He treats me badly and every time I come running back like a battered housewife.

"I feel like I’m seeking the ghost of a former friendship but Carl gave up on me years ago. He did come to see me in The Priory but I hardly remember his visit.

"I was drifting in and out the whole time. If he comes to Paris and grabs me by the hand, maybe we can reclaim the empire together.

"But for now I’m out of the band. Surely no one wants to see me trapped in this cage that is only making me miserable.

"Being a Libertine is supposed to be about freedom - but I don’t feel free at the moment.

"I want people to take me seriously as a musician - not just portray me as a junkie."

Pete also told how upset he was at having had little contact with his family.

He admitted: "I’ve broken my mother’s heart. But I’m definitely going to meet up with her in the next couple of days."

Two hours into our interview it was obvious Pete still has a long way to go before he is able to kick crack cocaine.

But he was adamant he had given up heroin.

He said: "People have claimed I’m a fixer. But that’s not true.

"I feel people have greatly exaggerated what I’ve got up to.

"My body is no longer dependent on opiates."

And with that he jumped into a car and left for Dover.

Who knows when he will resurface again. He left the impression of a vulnerable man going through a terrible crisis.

He is clearly one of our most talented stars and still wants to be in The Libertines.

But his ongoing drug problems are dividing a band on the cusp of greatness.

Privately, many in the music industry are comparing him to disillusioned NIRVANA frontman KURT COBAIN, who committed suicide in 1994.

But despite Pete’s paranoia, I’m assured his bandmates, management and family are doing everything they can to help him.

One source said: "Everybody involved has said they would sacrifice The Libertines for the sake of Pete’s health, no questions asked. But he has to want to help himself first.

"Ideally, he will come back to the band - but only when he’s feeling on top form again."

Pete’s dramatic exit has put the The Libertines summer festival appearances at the Isle Of Wight and Carling Weekend in doubt.

The band have also been forced to finish mastering their second album, produced by ex-CLASH guitarist MICK JONES, without him. Thankfully, most of the album had been finished before Pete went into hiding and despite the band’s problems, it’s shaping up as one of the must-have records of the year.

Whether Pete recovers in Paris or The Priory, let’s hope The Libertines are back together again in time for their summer gigs.

As one of Britain’s most exciting bands, the musical landscape is certainly a lot blander without them.

Source: The Sun

:(

Hopefully he'll be cleaned up and return soon. Pete's parts on the new album are done so that'll still be out.

Until when/if he returns it'll be interesting to see what happens. When I saw The Libertines live Pete got in a strop and walked off - but Carl and the others kept playing and it was as good as ever. They'll miss Pete, but Carl is still a great singer/song-wrtier/guitarist so hopefully he'll do something with the time.

Get well soon Pete.

Edited by supergrass

Wasn't sure I believed the Sun but NME.com confirmed it. Its a blow, but I can't see it impacting them too much short term. Carl proved last time he can keep the band afloat, he has the better singing voice and a second guitarist is easy to recruit. I just hope that the break-up of the writing partnership doesn't hit too hard. I can see Pete returning eventually, if he sorts his head out, which wasn't helped by NME effectively glorifying his addiction. 'Free Pete Doherty' T shirts were a bad idea, if he'd stayed in a bit longer it might have taught him a lesson.

Yeah the story is all over radio stations (Xfm, Virgin). I think Pete is a better singer than Carl, but Carl's certainly a good singer and better guitar player.

The album is more or less done though, so by the time they start writing again hopefully the Libertines will be reunited.

I know what you mean about the 'Free Pete' t-shirts (I opted for Carl's 'Fuck 'Em' one instead). The more the press glorify Pete's problems the longer he'll just keep going with them.

Edited by supergrass

Guest B Team

I love the Libertines, but it isn't them without Pete. Plus they said they wouldn't play without Pete this time around. Have the second album released, see whether they can sort things out together. They need to, I was totally gutted when I heard.

Guest B Team

I'm going to Reading, saw them at Brixton on the last proper tour, it was awesome, I don't know whether it'd be the same without Pete. I think they'll sort it out, it'll just be another page in the whole Libs saga.

Dont really care to be honest, NME keep going on as if he's the new Kurt Cobain or something... but thats NME for you, give them 2 years and they'll be saying how shit they are :)

Saw them at Leeds fest last year and thought they were mediocre at best, nothing special but not terrible either

What a waster, what a fucking waster

He's pissed it all up the wall

I hope he cleans himself up, but at the end of the day if he wants to continue wasting his life then fine, but he's disappointing thousands of people.

Guest B Team

Him fucking off now is to get away from the drugs, and it's the Libs fault, and Carl's too, or so he'd have us believe.

The Libs last year at Leeds were missing Pete too, if I remember correctly, so hardly the Libs at all....