Music People Wouldn't Expect You To Listen To

tristy

I get weird looks for listening to Goldfrapp, but she's cool.

I listen to a lot of Marvin Gaye/Stevie Wonder/Al Green/Ray Charles/Dizzy Gilespie, I really love old soul/jazz/blues. The weirdest thing I listen to though is probably the Bay City Rollers. No one listens to that anymore.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of my friends at school know that I'm a big Evanescence fan. As do a lot of people on here.

But I also like some Avril Lavigne, Christina Aguilera, some Britney Spears, Creed, some J-Lo, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Maroon 5, Michelle Branch, Nickelback, Saliva, Staind and Vanessa Carlton.

And that's not everything I listen to. :P

My music taste is all over the place.

Most people know I enjoy a good bit of electro, both avant garde (Aphex Twin, Autechre, Add N To (X)) and more 'popular' (Goldfrapp, Ladytron, Chemical Brothers). They also know I love 'groundbreaking' solo acts (David Bowie, Bjork). Also modern electro/clashy rock (Killers, Bravery, Razorlight, Polysics), and more melodic-based indie rock (Feeder, Muse, Third Eye Blind). People also know I'm a massive fan of classical music (Beethoven, Orff, Wagner). And of 80s new wave music (Blondie, Adam Ant, Duran Duran etc)

What people DON'T know very much is that recently I've been into Reggae and Funky Soul (Thanks to GTA: San Andreas).

I've also had a long affair with club-style Techno (Dave Clarke) and most amazingly of all, the last couple of years I've been big on recent releases by Kylie (Come Into My World, Slow) and Britney Spears (Toxic). I also liked Lost Prophet's "Last Train Home" and basically enjoy a lot of one off songs from groups...

I also like Sheryl Crow, Natalie Imbruglia and No Doubt! So there!

Nothing beats some Maynard Ferguson. Sitting with his 1 working lung, a glass of whisky and his trumpet. Him and his backing band (He rarely play much, but he plays so fucking high. It's insane). Similarly there's Arturo Sandoval, Dizzee Gillespie. Got to love Jazz Big Bands.

I also don't mind some dance and shit. Mostly just chill out stuff, not too heavy and trancy.

Also, Earth Wind and Fire. September is one of my favourite songs ever.

There's also Tower of Power/Not Your Average White Band, who are similar sort of to Earth Wind and Fire.

Also, there's Zero-7 who are a just so chilled and cool.

Frank Sinatra is a legend. Nancy Sinatra has good songs too.

Avril, Linkin Park, Staind, Evanescence, Nickelback, some Britney and Christina, Gwen Stefani, Michael Jackson, Justin Timberlake, Breaking Benjamin, Billy Talent, The Killers, some J-Lo, Maroon 5, Saliva, Justin Timberlake, N*Sync, Backstreet Boys, Rammenstein, No Doubt, The Darkness, The Offspring

Wow...My music tastes are weird... :)

Avril, Linkin Park, Staind, Evanescence, Nickelback, some Britney and Christina, Gwen Stefani, Michael Jackson, Justin Timberlake, Breaking Benjamin, Billy Talent, The Killers, some J-Lo, Maroon 5, Saliva, Justin Timberlake, N*Sync, Backstreet Boys, Rammenstein, No Doubt, The Darkness, The Offspring

Wow...My music tastes are weird... :)

Sorry, but I'm guessing by "weird" you mean "wide and varied", and compared to some of the other replies in this thread, I'd dispute that claim.

People see me as a metalhead so they're always shocked when they find out I like...

Elton John, Billy Joel, Reel Big Fish, Country Music, Ashlee Simpson, Beck, Cherry Poppin' Daddies, Classical Music of all kinds (but mostly baroque and Russian composers), Bob Seger, CCR, Chris Isaak, Elvis Presley, Everclear, Five For Fighting, Hanson (later stuff only), Doo Wop, Incubus, Jim Croce, Mandy Moore, Matchbox Twenty, Neil Diamond, No Doubt's big album (Tragic Kingdom?), OTown, POD, Tantric, The Clarks, and The Flaming Lips.

I can't say I own any reggae CDs, but I still find the time to enjoy the reggae station we have here on digital cable, and I won't object to listening to Bob Marley & The Wailers when I'm at a friend's house.

Frank Sinatra is a legend. Nancy Sinatra has good songs too.

Nancy sucks, but Frank Jr. is fucking great. But of course, Frank wanted to make it on his own and thus never really got out of Frank Sr's shadow. Nancy on the other hand was more than happy to ride Daddy's coattails.

And I can't believe I fuckin forgot Sheryl Crow, I've loved her for years... except for that awful cover of Sweet Child O Mine.

And Tristy, thanks for the suggestions, been meaning to get into Frou Frou for a while now. One of those things I keep forgetting to look into.