Metallica

fineintent

Well...?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Well...?

• Love Them
    • Loathe Them

and S&M, which is basically a greatest hits, they've been lackluster, to say the least.

Well duh, what else are they going to play live? :huh:

I was just adding it in there as a 'recent' release that I liked. The 'is basically a greatest hits...' was to show that it really didn't count, in terms of new music.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3. I've never seen a jazz musician who's stage show is as rough as a metal band. Sure the touring and being on the road might be comparable, but I've never seen BB King or any jazz artist beating up their bodies, getting burned, running around a stage, getting tired from playing fast for 3+ hours. Seems to me you just have something against Metallica and metal bands because they're not as "talented" as your favorite artists.

Well Jazz isn't that kind of music. If I'm watching a Jazz or Blues musican like BB King the preformance is the song and the playing of the music, the audience doesn't expect a wild show. While you take the likes of Bruce Springsteen, who is a nut-case on stage he and the E-Street band are highly entertaining on stage.

My knowledge of heavy metal isn't great, I'm not a big fan of heavy electric guitars and for the most part is boring to me. While I wouldn't say they aren't talented, they just don't play my kind of music.

Same thing I say every time this subject comes up, Metallica is still the best live act out there today and still in the top ten when it comes to the best hard rock acts going today. Whether or not you like their new stuff or not, plenty other people still are and they continue to sell out almost every show on every tour.

And when people talk about Metallica selling out or "going commercial" it makes me want to fucking choke them. Especially when most of the people who say have been listening to nothing but commercial music their entire lives. Let that fucking argument go because unless you're clutching that Fugazzi record, I'm sure most of the hard rock music you own is "commercial." Now, I know there's a few of you here that are diehard underground music guys, so it's not directed at you before you come at me.

Guns N Roses are not legends. Axl Rose has pretty much erased himself from history with his atrocious attitude towards everything. And really, the music is alright, but they were never THAT great. Oh... and far more "commercial" than Metallica will ever be.

Anyway, I started listening to Metallica when I was around five or six when I saw the video for "One." Just something about it struck me as a child, I was probably too young to be accepting something like a guy being blown to bits from a landmine and then begging the doctors to kill him, but it's always stuck with me and it's still my favorite song to this day.

Are Metallica my favorite group of all time? No... but they're up there on my list and I have appreciated every bit of music they have ever recorded. Quality goes up and down, but nowadays the internet anti-Metallica fans just make me roll my eyes. There's only so much you can say before it just gets ridiculous and cliche.

I understand that jazz isn't that kind of music. That was the point I was trying to make. That metal bands have a much tougher road life because of the fact that their shows are like that.

Back in the 80's metal bands (especially Metallica) toured non-stop to make their living and get their name out there. Metallica toured for almost 3 years non-stop after releasing Metallica in 1991. So there is a parallel there, just metal bands do more damage to their bodies during the show.

1. I don't get the correlation between pop acts and Kenny G and Metallica.

You used record sales as an indicator of Metallica being a legend. Kenny G and pop acts sell many records as well, hence the correlation.

2. I honestly don't know much about blues-rock. So my opinion doesn't really mean much on the issue.

Same thing I say every time this subject comes up, Metallica is still the best live act out there today and still in the top ten when it comes to the best hard rock acts going today.  Whether or not you like their new stuff or not, plenty other people still are and they continue to sell out almost every show on every tour.

And when people talk about Metallica selling out or "going commercial" it makes me want to fucking choke them.  Especially when most of the people who say have been listening to nothing but commercial music their entire lives.  Let that fucking argument go because unless you're clutching that Fugazzi record, I'm sure most of the hard rock music you own is "commercial."  Now, I know there's a few of you here that are diehard underground music guys, so it's not directed at you before you come at me.

Are Metallica my favorite group of all time?  No... but they're up there on my list and I have appreciated every bit of music they have ever recorded.  Quality goes up and down, but nowadays the internet anti-Metallica fans just make me roll my eyes.  There's only so much you can say before it just gets ridiculous and cliche.

Guest Bluesman

Ok, the pop bands...if they sell as many albums as Metallica has overall than sure, I'll call em a legend. That certainly limits the list. The Beatles, Elvis, Garth Brooks, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Fleetwood Mac. I believe those are the only bands ahead of Metallica in all-time record sales. But I may be missing a couple. Would you not call those artists legends?

3. I've never seen a jazz musician who's stage show is as rough as a metal band. Sure the touring and being on the road might be comparable, but I've never seen BB King or any jazz artist beating up their bodies, getting burned, running around a stage, getting tired from playing fast for 3+ hours. Seems to me you just have something against Metallica and metal bands because they're not as "talented" as your favorite artists.

Did you read anything I posted? King has been touring for DECADES. You don't think this beats up his body? That the fact he doesn't play standing anymore is irrelavent? I can just imagine the tremendous amount of stress heavy drug use puts on touring acts, which is quite common among older acts (often times it takes awhile for stuff like this to come out). They often play longer than they are scheduled. Another point is that many blues acts, especially when 'coming up' play 3 plus hours. I really doubt your '3 plus hours' statement, especially about a large touring act like Metallica. Maybe while they are 'coming up', but once again you lose this as it's pretty common for it to take longer for blues/jazz acts to gain exposure (for reasons I previously mentioned). To be honest, I'm going to see Black Label Society coming up soon, and I highly doubt they'll be on stage for 3 plus hours. Personally I can imagine there to be a bit of a difference between playing a 3 hour show and sleeping in a cushy motel room, and playing a 3 hour show and sleeping on a pool table. But hey, that's just me.

Isn't B.B. King also diabetic? That can't help matters in terms of touring.

Oh, and I've seen better live acts then Metallica. One is called Slayer, and the other is called Slipknot. Sepultura is up there too.

And didn't Metallica open up their own P2P bootleg network? I remember seeing it when I bought St. Anger (TWENTY FUCKING DOLLARS), and I thought it was bullshit.

EDIT: I've also seen a better live act than Metallica. Atleast energy wise.

Edited by Tristof

Flailing around like a madman does not a good live band make. I saw Slayer live and they didn't much for me. Metallica gave me goosebumps. They were awesome. Slayer not so much.

EDIT:

Tristy, not quite. It had a bunch of their live bootlegs on it. But Metallica never had a problem with live bootlegs. It was about their studio music and the fact that a demo of I Disappear was on Napster before the song was even finished. Live bootlegs they have no problem with.

Edited by SkinMySenses

Oh, and I've seen better live acts then Metallica. One is called Slayer, and the other is called Slipknot. Sepultura is up there too.

Slayer's never really done anything for me. I'm sure I'd be crucified for saying that in front of a bunch of Slayer fans, but they just don't click with me. And yes, I've seen them live. Slipknot is excellent live, but they're no Metallica. Never got to see Sepultura in concert, heard good things when my brother saw them in the early 90s though.

Flailing around like a madman does not a good live band make. I saw Slayer live and they didn't much for me. Metallica gave me goosebumps. They were awesome. Slayer not so much.

That comes down to personal preference. I like both Slayer and Slipknot better then Metallica. I loved the energy when I saw Slipknot, and seeing Slayer was just a great experience.

Like syco said, it all comes down to your preference.

Some people like the way Metallica perform. From what I've seen, they don't "jump around the stage like a madman", but for some people, how they perform live is exciting enough. I wouldn't be objected to seeing them live, but I'd take a young, energetic band over them anyday.

See, me atleast, I want to be entertained when I go to a concert. And the way to entertain me is to be very energetic on their stage shows. Peforming the songs just like they are on CD isn't that important to me, since I love when bands do something new with their songs from a CD, like improvising, or turning a normal 4 minute song into a 32 minute jam session. That's just me. I'm talking about The Mars Volta, of course. :shifty:

I love how Metallica peforms, but I also enjoy Government Mule who's more of a jam band. I just didn't really get into Slayer live. Then again I'm not really into their studio stuff either.

But I was in the first row of seats, like 15 feet away at the Metallica show and it will always be one of my favorite memories. So awesome. Even Godsmack kicked ass.

Even Godsmack kicked ass.

That's because Godsmack is also one of the best live acts going... and the beautiful thing about them is they are infinitely better on stage than they could ever be in the studio. When Godsmack lays down a studio album, all the energy, all the soul, all the power from their live act is completely stripped away and you're left with that bland sound you get on the radio. Godsmack live is godly.

Peforming the songs just like they are on CD isn't that important to me, since I love when bands do something new with their songs from a CD, like improvising, or turning a normal 4 minute song into a 32 minute jam session.

This reminds me of one of my favorite shows I've ever seen. It was free too, at the Orange County Fair. Got to see Aaron Neville. Great show, as the just jammed.